As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat] Fandango

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    Wash wrote: »
    A lot of pro-abstinence people must feel some kind of intense jealousy deep down inside toward people who have healthy active sex lives. For as much as their philosophy may decry it, it's difficult to ignore a physical necessity, and how dare anyone else enjoy it when they cannot.

I think it's this that causes the "double down" mentality to take root.

If you're doing something that isn't measurably enriching your life, and those who go without your philosophy seem to be having a good time, many times it causes you to freak the fuck out and become some lunatic crusader. It leads you to telling a whole auditorium of 16 year olds that they'll wind up loveless and unwanted if they have sex.

Because how dare they not live up to the arbitrary standards you place on them.

isn't this kind of true of anyone who sets restrictive standards on themselves?

like, you see the same sort of thing - contempt - from fit people who work out all the time or diet strictly towards those who don't.

you see the same thing from people with any other moral precept that they adhere to - liars or manipulators or the cruel or the amoral.

you see the same thing from people who keep their promises wrt those who do not.

you see it from people of refined tastes who look down on those who have unrefined (by their standards) tastes.

like - take any one thing about yourself that you are proud of. the people who do not have that quality are inferior in some way, whether it's ignorance or a lack of talent or a lack of scruples or a lack of discipline or whatever else.

i'm not abstinent and really never have been, but i admire the discipline and conviction of those who choose to be so.

I think that mostly goes to whether the individual who has set a personal restriction is judgmental or not, rather than to whether the restrictions have been set.

I prefer monogamy for a handful of reasons but I'm happy that Feral is happier when following a different standard, for instance.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Daenyrys Katniss Dorktruck

too predictable

Everdeen Targaryen Skooptruck

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    i am real real happy to be monogamous, personally. i guess i can't really easily separate sex from emotional commitment in my mind.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Every once in a while I am reminded that the UK is one step ahead of the USA in marginalizing the 'common folk.' Also they have political cartoons too:

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Its 2014 hollywood

Katniss can date two dudes at the same time

Can I be one of them?

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    A lot of pro-abstinence people must feel some kind of intense jealousy deep down inside toward people who have healthy active sex lives. For as much as their philosophy may decry it, it's difficult to ignore a physical necessity, and how dare anyone else enjoy it when they cannot.

If you're doing something that isn't measurably enriching your life, and those who go without your philosophy seem to be having a good time, many times it causes you to freak the fuck out and become some lunatic crusader. It leads you to telling a whole auditorium of 16 year olds that they'll wind up loveless and unwanted if they have sex.

sometimes i wonder if this motivates some people to agitate for monogamy

#unpopularopinionpuffin

I've come to feel as I've gotten older and worldlier that monogamy has a whoooole lotta innate cultural hangups built in that have very little to do with two people loving each other.

Having a couple of friends in successful polyamorous relationships has helped form that viewpoint, as well.

hi5

honestly i'm not all "everybody must be poly"

relationships can take a lot of time and people have jobs and kids and responsibilities, sometimes there just isn't enough energy to go around

sometimes you have other priorities in your life, you don't need a second partner, you wouldn't see the benefit

you're happy with what you have

that's cool

#typinglikepony

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    i am real real happy to be monogamous, personally. i guess i can't really easily separate sex from emotional commitment in my mind.

polyamory can easily have emotional investment

actually I think that's liek the point?

Its being emotionally and romantically involved with more than one pers

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    NotASuit.com

@NotASuit Good morning fellow marxist revolutionaries. We should take the ol' drum circle over to GloboCorporoBank down the street instead of protesting MegaFinance where I totally don't have a window office. #OWS #Fightthepowerorwhatever

RT me if you hate market share

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Deebaser I would rock a brick phone though

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    That still seems to be a step above America, Henroid.

From what I understand, the welfare benefits laws in the UK are generally much more supportive and reasonable than the US equivalents, and that's where the US equivalents even really exist.

I don't have a firm grasp of whether that's true, though, to be fair.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    kedinik wrote: »

isn't this kind of true of anyone who sets restrictive standards on themselves?

like, you see the same sort of thing - contempt - from fit people who work out all the time or diet strictly towards those who don't.

you see the same thing from people with any other moral precept that they adhere to - liars or manipulators or the cruel or the amoral.

you see the same thing from people who keep their promises wrt those who do not.

you see it from people of refined tastes who look down on those who have unrefined (by their standards) tastes.

like - take any one thing about yourself that you are proud of. the people who do not have that quality are inferior in some way, whether it's ignorance or a lack of talent or a lack of scruples or a lack of discipline or whatever else.

i'm not abstinent and really never have been, but i admire the discipline and conviction of those who choose to be so.

I think that mostly goes to whether the individual who has set a personal restriction is judgmental or not, rather than to whether the restrictions have been set.

I prefer monogamy for a handful of reasons but I'm happy that Feral is happier when following a different standard, for instance.

right, but you also probably don't feel like you are sacrificing something to a higher principle by being monogamous.

you probably wouldn't have the same live-and-let-live regard for someone who claimed to be monogamous but was actually cheating on their spouse.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    how is life wash

It's good. Things have been a little stressful health-wise, but that's clearing up. Been thinking about going to B.C. for the summer to work to pay off my debt and get some private writing time in. And my short film is shaping up; I think I'm the only director who's been consistently content with my production, and based on my test screening, I managed to get the laughs I was aiming for. I'm working on a feature script right now, which has a very slight possibility of being made (I'll know by the end of April) and I'm supposed to be co-writing a webseries, but that's kind of up in the air right now.

How is you?

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

They guy walked into the sword.

Sometimes evil can't help but smite itself.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Yeah Will I think you've conflated polyamory with 'friends with benefits' or 'no strings attached' sex.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Every once in a while I am reminded that the UK is one step ahead of the USA in marginalizing the 'common folk.' Also they have political cartoons too:

idgi

Any politician would want the unemployed to have jobs and some public assistance versus no jobs and lots of public addistance.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I am looking forward to Titanfall on P.C.

It looks like the combination of mechwarrior / tribes / unreal tournie I've always wanted.

And it comes with a free origin infection!

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i would die of anxiety if i tried to be in a relationship with someone who wasn't exclusively committed to me

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Riot really needs to do something about Kassadin. As far as I know he's almost 100% ban rate in LCS, and if he isn't banned, he's picked.

• kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    ganon a texan?

I am not surprised

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Riot really needs to do something about Kassadin. As far as I know he's almost 100% ban rate in LCS, and if he isn't banned, he's picked.

He was nerfed in the patch that hasn't hit LCS yet -- 4.3 -- I don't know how significant it was though.

twitch.tv/tehsloth
    emnmnme wrote: »

idgi

Any politician would want the unemployed to have jobs and some public assistance versus no jobs and lots of public addistance.

There's an argument that people who work hard shouldn't be living in poverty.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

idgi

I think he is talking about workfare where people have to work for a negative wage to receive public benefits. This means they are either doing mostly useless work or are competing with people who aren't making a negative wage.

• PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    I'm personally a little distrustful of poly because many poly folk I've met have had some really bad relationships and breakups (lol anecdotal evidence I know)

which is true of single people as well!

but in general I think most people have difficulty handling the emotional baggage a single relationship entails and basically there's a Venn diagram of "people who think poly is a good idea" and "people who are capable of managing the pitfalls of a poly relationship successfully" and the crossover of those two circles is kinda small

but I don't think there's anything immoral or unethical or specifically wrong about poly, and for some people it works really well, which is great

I just think its more difficult than a monogamous relationship and there are more people who think they can handle poly then there are people who can handle poly.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

I still don't get it. What is so OP about him?

I still don't get it. What is so OP about him?

dumb high burst and mobility if he can get to 6 without getting completely wrecked.

twitch.tv/tehsloth
    I'm personally a little distrustful of poly because many poly folk I've met have had some really bad relationships and breakups (lol anecdotal evidence I know)

which is true of single people as well!

but in general I think most people have difficulty handling the emotional baggage a single relationship entails and basically there's a Venn diagram of "people who think poly is a good idea" and "people who are capable of managing the pitfalls of a poly relationship successfully" and the crossover of those two circles is kinda small

but I don't think there's anything immoral or unethical or specifically wrong about poly, and for some people it works really well, which is great

I just think its more difficult than a monogamous relationship and there are more people who think they can handle poly then there are people who can handle poly.
    basically there's a Venn diagram of "people who think dating is a good idea" and "people who are capable of managing the pitfalls of a relationship successfully" and the crossover of those two circles is kinda small

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

They guy walked into the sword.

Sometimes evil can't help but smite itself.

"The man declined to mention whether he collected any rupees following the incident.
    The ex-husband was taken to hospital following the altercation, but not before he, in true Zelda fashion, smashed a pot (a flower pot, over the head of Thompson)."

Oh lord

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    so...that company that interviewed me for the second time today now wants me to interview a third time, this one with the CEO...

On the one hand, I guess it's good because it means I've been knocking these interviews out of the park, I think. On the other, I just want them to get to the whole offer phase because that is clearly crucial for me. I did provide them with my current compensation and I'm hoping they realize that they would need to be above that for me to jump. I have a feeling they're going to come in low.

I dunno, this whole thing definitely has some risk. I'm at a pretty good place right now although my my job satisfaction has definitely dipped since I got moved to the impersonal cube farm.

@Dynagrip‌

GET PAID SON
    but change is scary!

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    also in conversations about this topic i find that there is always someone hanging around in the back waiting to say some way-condescending, smug shit about confidence and maturity and trust to the people who are only into monogamy.

WELL DONT' PROJECT YOUR INSECURITIES ONTO THE WAYS OTHER PEOPLE LOVE

(ala fitness-nuts or ex-smokers)

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    That still seems to be a step above America, Henroid.

From what I understand, the welfare benefits laws in the UK are generally much more supportive and reasonable than the US equivalents, and that's where the US equivalents even really exist.

I don't have a firm grasp of whether that's true, though, to be fair.

The policy referred to in the cartoon was one of requiring people receiving unemployment benefit to work for a participating large company for free or lose their benefits (so not really "for free" as such, but not paid by the company they were working for)

Large companies that would, presumably, otherwise be obliged to employ someone to do that work

It was the most thoroughly bizarre policy that backlashed badly

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Deebaser I would rock a brick phone though

My first phone was a post brick nokia. 30 minutes a month.

• kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    though that master sword article is so poorly written it's difficult to tell what happened other than a dude got stabbed

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    how is life wash

It's good. Things have been a little stressful health-wise, but that's clearing up. Been thinking about going to B.C. for the summer to work to pay off my debt and get some private writing time in. And my short film is shaping up; I think I'm the only director who's been consistently content with my production, and based on my test screening, I managed to get the laughs I was aiming for. I'm working on a feature script right now, which has a very slight possibility of being made (I'll know by the end of April) and I'm supposed to be co-writing a webseries, but that's kind of up in the air right now.

How is you?

That's cool, glad to hear about your successes in filming :D

I'm doing pretty well. Still working the marketing job, making good money, slowly whittling down debt and living with Aaron. We're probably just going to elope this summer or something. Been struggling with massive depression and suicidal thoughts since November and am getting my meds adjusted now so hopefully that helps. Despite that I'm pretty successful and am doing a lot of art in my free time.

Also, at max rank there's about a 1 second window between when kassadin comes in and silences you and you can cast spells again before he can flash out.

twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    fuk everything even u

poo
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    i should probably get some meds for depression but I'm worried they'll make me fat(ter) again

override367 on
This discussion has been closed.