As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat] Fandango

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    NAME IT KATNISS SKIPPY

YESSSS

Hermione
    Arya

my friends named their daughter arya : )

That's a bold move, with the series unfinished.

I'm going to remember this post if Arya becomes a neo-Nazi child diddler in the next book.

• WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Wash wrote: »
    how is life wash

It's good. Things have been a little stressful health-wise, but that's clearing up. Been thinking about going to B.C. for the summer to work to pay off my debt and get some private writing time in. And my short film is shaping up; I think I'm the only director who's been consistently content with my production, and based on my test screening, I managed to get the laughs I was aiming for. I'm working on a feature script right now, which has a very slight possibility of being made (I'll know by the end of April) and I'm supposed to be co-writing a webseries, but that's kind of up in the air right now.

How is you?

That's cool, glad to hear about your successes in filming :D

I'm doing pretty well. Still working the marketing job, making good money, slowly whittling down debt and living with Aaron. We're probably just going to elope this summer or something. Been struggling with massive depression and suicidal thoughts since November and am getting my meds adjusted now so hopefully that helps. Despite that I'm pretty successful and am doing a lot of art in my free time.

I'm happy to hear that! Not the depression part - I hope the adjustment helps - but I'm glad you're working on your art and working off your debt. I've thought about Oathkeeper a few times since you answered my vagina questions earlier this week, I think it's really fucking cool you're working on a webcomic, and at some point this week I'm probably going to read through all of it.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    It is the year twenty thousand and a hundred and fourteen and Titanfall is using fucking Origin?

We're living in the future, we're supposed to be enlightened and not do these things anymore

Oh brilliant
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    It is the year twenty thousand and a hundred and fourteen and Titanfall is using fucking Origin?

We're living in the future, we're supposed to be enlightened and not do these things anymore

Could always get it on the xbox one

8->

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Naming a baby Arya is totally thing, its jumped pretty big in terms of popularity

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    I'm marrying a Canadian. Or someone in England.

This is happening.

If I marry you, will you smuggle sugary candy-cereal boxes in Canada?

Do you not have sugary candy-cereal in Canada?

We don't have so many kinds of sugar-cereal here. :(

Like, we can't have Trix... or pebbles... or cocoa puffs...

And where do you live and is your health care there awesome?

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    how is life wash

It's good. Things have been a little stressful health-wise, but that's clearing up. Been thinking about going to B.C. for the summer to work to pay off my debt and get some private writing time in. And my short film is shaping up; I think I'm the only director who's been consistently content with my production, and based on my test screening, I managed to get the laughs I was aiming for. I'm working on a feature script right now, which has a very slight possibility of being made (I'll know by the end of April) and I'm supposed to be co-writing a webseries, but that's kind of up in the air right now.

How is you?

I'm doing pretty well. Still working the marketing job, making good money, slowly whittling down debt and living with Aaron. We're probably just going to elope this summer or something. Been struggling with massive depression and suicidal thoughts since November and am getting my meds adjusted now so hopefully that helps. Despite that I'm pretty successful and am doing a lot of art in my free time.

I'm happy to hear that! Not the depression part - I hope the adjustment helps - but I'm glad you're working on your art and working off your debt. I've thought about Oathkeeper a few times since you answered my vagina questions earlier this week, I think it's really fucking cool you're working on a webcomic, and at some point this week I'm probably going to read through all of it.

If you do that don't read it off the site, the site is behind, I have a massive buffer. I'll send you the Imgur links for each issue (there are 6 completed ones at this point) and you can browse through them much easier

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular

This is happening.
    Okay but you should know all English people are dumb and their accents just make them sound smart and underneath every Canadian's veneer of politeness is an unending vortex of rage

• GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Gonmun wrote: »
    fuk everything even u

Even me? :cold_sweat:

especially u

:cry:

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    BUT I DONT WANT TO FIND MY CENTER

i dont want to sit and be sad i just want to PUNCH AND BREAK THINGS THIS IS WHAT WOULD MAKE ME FEEL GOOD RIGHT NOW

poo
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Progressives will never stop progressing.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    fuk everything even u

especially u

Yes, it is sad how broken that bbcode is.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

8->

Syndy, plz

although they are doing that price cut bundle exactly for holdout nerds like me. And with Killer Instinct, the library is up to 2 games I want!

And by price cut I mean almost equal the real price because goddammnit.

Oh brilliant
    Do you mind if I ask what work you're planning to do in BC?

A friend of mine suggested we both look for work at like a ski resort or lodge to do maintenance work over the summer. Alternatively, another friend of mine went out west to do this tree planting thing, where you're paid by the tree. It'd help me get in shape and I'd get to meet a lot of interesting people.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    fuk everything even u

especially u

"fuck this Gonmun right here in particular"

-Shazkar Shadowstorm 2014

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    Any country that doesn't have Lucky Charms available is suspect.

You of course need Reese's Puffs cereal before you approach utopia

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png

This is happening.

If I marry you, will you smuggle sugary candy-cereal boxes in Canada?

Do you not have sugary candy-cereal in Canada?

We don't have so many kinds of sugar-cereal here. :(

Like, we can't have Trix... or pebbles... or cocoa puffs...

We used to have pebbles I think. And we've still got Lucky Charms, Sugar Crisp, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Fruit Loops, Corn Pops and Frosted Flakes. And if you want cocoa in your cereal just buy chocolate cheerios or rice crispies. That or use chocolate milk instead of white milk. :P

~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    what's the point of conserving if you're never gonna consume

not saving for a rainy day just saving

this is why I say we kill all olds

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I'm personally a little distrustful of poly because many poly folk I've met have had some really bad relationships and breakups (lol anecdotal evidence I know)

which is true of single people as well!

but in general I think most people have difficulty handling the emotional baggage a single relationship entails and basically there's a Venn diagram of "people who think poly is a good idea" and "people who are capable of managing the pitfalls of a poly relationship successfully" and the crossover of those two circles is kinda small

but I don't think there's anything immoral or unethical or specifically wrong about poly, and for some people it works really well, which is great

I just think its more difficult than a monogamous relationship and there are more people who think they can handle poly then there are people who can handle poly.

It probably is more difficult - so what? An interracial relationship is more difficult than having a relationship with someone of the same race and you don't distrust interracial couplings.

That's true I suppose, although I'm not sure they're directly comparable for lots of underlying cultural reasons.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
    PantsB wrote: »
    Any country that doesn't have Lucky Charms available is suspect.

You of course need Reese's Puffs cereal before you approach utopia

fruity. pebbles.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Ahahaha, what?
    6oCqhMs.jpg

I might actually have to get this.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    I think a society with many polygamous marriages can be surprisingly non-dysfunctional in each of those families

I just don't think that liberalism has any good idea on what to do with the excess heterosexual males

Polyamory is not necessary polygamy, and marriage need not entail exclusivity for the male or female members. Ergo, the only excess males are those in the friendzone.

I don't think that's sustainable either! I think norms will merely shift in an illiberal direction until the marriage market equilibrium - or, if you prefer, the amorous relationship equilibrium - is achieved again

What are you saying? Your original post seemed to describe that as marriages occupied available women at a faster rate than men, there would be a surplus of available men. My response is that a married woman can still bang other dudes even if the only marriages were one-man-many-women instead of mixed or opposite ratios.

well, as you yourself pointed out, polyamory is not the same as polygamy. Fine. one-man-many-women relationships would still be problematic to balance.

I myself have advocated the idea that STD epidemiology data do not suggest that the conventional :biotruths: idea that aggressive young men cultivate a harem of women at their most fertile and only surrender them to "betas" once they're old and less desirable, but then there are still strong social pressures against maintaining multiple concurrent sexual partners.

aRkpc.gif
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    name her kaleesi skippy

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Yes let's talk about alternative relationship structures and social norms while Shiv is stuck at the mobile site because work.

Everyone cryogenically freeze yourself for another eight hours.

how is life wash

How is you?

If you do that don't read it off the site, the site is behind, I have a massive buffer. I'll send you the Imgur links for each issue (there are 6 completed ones at this point) and you can browse through them much easier

Please do!

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Yes let's talk about alternative relationship structures and social norms while Shiv is stuck at the mobile site because work.

*checks weather* Hmm...had you asked me to do that this morning I might have actually been able to given how cold it was.

Shivahn wrote: »

here's an at.

@Shivahn‌

aRkpc.gif
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I think a society with many polygamous marriages can be surprisingly non-dysfunctional in each of those families

I just don't think that liberalism has any good idea on what to do with the excess heterosexual males

Polyamory is not necessary polygamy, and marriage need not entail exclusivity for the male or female members. Ergo, the only excess males are those in the friendzone.

I don't think that's sustainable either! I think norms will merely shift in an illiberal direction until the marriage market equilibrium - or, if you prefer, the amorous relationship equilibrium - is achieved again

What are you saying? Your original post seemed to describe that as marriages occupied available women at a faster rate than men, there would be a surplus of available men. My response is that a married woman can still bang other dudes even if the only marriages were one-man-many-women instead of mixed or opposite ratios.

well, as you yourself pointed out, polyamory is not the same as polygamy. Fine. one-man-many-women relationships would still be problematic to balance.

I myself have advocated the idea that STD epidemiology data do not suggest that the conventional :biotruths: idea that aggressive young men cultivate a harem of women at their most fertile and only surrender them to "betas" once they're old and less desirable, but then there are still strong social pressures against maintaining multiple concurrent sexual partners.

There's no reason society wouldn't balance one-man-many-women relationships with concurrent polyamorous relationships branching out around those same women.

I suspect that TL DR did not get your post because this was assumed by him.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    Huh. Just looked up demisexual.

Now I've got questions.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    @Wash also here's some stuff I've drawn lately
    emilia_clarke_by_oathkeepercomic-d76tp58.png
    smoker_by_oathkeepercomic-d78sg3s.png
    reddit_gets_drawn_proposal_2_by_oathkeepercomic-d78shbd.png
    fresh_faced_by_oathkeepercomic-d77307h.png

• jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    Oh thank god half the snow melted.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

You're assuming a need to balance where none exists, and the social pressures have little to do with the workability of such relationships among individuals who don't ascribe to them.

Imagine I am in a relationship with Jane, Cindy, and Sara. You're assuming that somewhere, there are two dudes who have to be single because I am one man 'taking up' three women. But there is nothing stopping any of these women necessarily from being with either of those dudes in addition to the relationship that they are already in with me.

Unless you're talking about tax benefits for actual, legal marriage or something?

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Excellent.

syndalis wrote: »

8->

Syndy, plz

although they are doing that price cut bundle exactly for holdout nerds like me. And with Killer Instinct, the library is up to 2 games I want!

And by price cut I mean almost equal the real price because goddammnit.

month of free live gold, free titanfall, great console... its not a bad deal.

plus, quantum break is happening this year and that game is gonna be the fucking bomb.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i could totally see myself feeling very strongly for multiple people. i don't know if i'd expect any sort of dilution, or anything- i could see that being appealing, to have multiple people in your life.

it's the opposite that makes me nope the fuck out. there's no way i could go on a weekend retreat with someone and put a necklace on them i got them for christmas and shop together for furniture knowing she's getting railed by another dude.

it feels strange to me to try and pursue the first if the sort of corollary is so appalling to me.

cass if you're bored, google pics of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and draw some for me. I'll pay you in awesomes.

• MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »

This is happening.
    Okay but you should know all English people are dumb and their accents just make them sound smart and underneath every Canadian's veneer of politeness is an unending vortex of rage

Look, I just want health insurance where they tell me what I owe and I pay for it rather than them sneaking up on me months later and then sending check after check instead of just telling me what the fucking cost is upfront.

there's a big fucking difference between $145 and $1,130

kedinik wrote: »

There's no reason society wouldn't balance one-man-many-women relationships with concurrent polyamorous relationships branching out around those same women.

I suspect that TL DR did not get your post because this was assumed by him.

making the reasonable assumption that male:female ratios will remain roughly balanced, that requires that women have the same number of male partners in total as men have female partners in total, so a predominance of polygynous relationships precludes there being sufficiently many spaces for polygynous men. there would have to excess males in the friendzone, as he points out

aRkpc.gif
    Organichu wrote: »
    i could totally see myself feeling very strongly for multiple people. i don't know if i'd expect any sort of dilution, or anything- i could see that being appealing, to have multiple people in your life.

it's the opposite that makes me nope the fuck out. there's no way i could go on a weekend retreat with someone and put a necklace on them i got them for christmas and shop together for furniture knowing she's getting railed by another dude.

it feels strange to me to try and pursue the first if the sort of corollary is so appalling to me.

I had a friend who wanted a poly relationship where it would be her, a girlfriend and a boyfriend and all of them living in the same house together. Interesting concept but not sure if it would have worked for me. Still, if all parties involved felt comfortable with it all the power to them.

Vanguard wrote: »
    name her kaleesi skippy
    There was recently an infant at my wife's hospital named that

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
This discussion has been closed.