As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat] Fandango

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    i'm going grocery shopping tonight. trying to stay away from starches.

yogurt
    shrimp
    eggs
    hot sauce
    canned tuna
    head of lettuce (for wraps)
    spinach
    asparagus
    bone-in chicken legs/quarters

what else

uh

i have been eating hells of lettuce. just chop it up and whip up a vinaigrette and go to town.

if you're looking to cook, celeriac is super low-carb. also cauliflower/ broccoli/ rapini. sweet potatoes are relatively low-carb if you're not looking to go keto.

also there is nothing wrong with lean pork or beef.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    The MtGox Bitcoin exchange, which last week sought bankruptcy protection in Japan, opened a helpline for anxious customers on Monday after unveiling a massive loss in a possible theft.

The troubled exchange filed for protection with the Tokyo District Court Friday, admitting that it had lost nearly half a billion dollars worth of the digital currency.

The call centre will respond to “all inquiries to MtGox”, the Tokyo-based firm said on its website. “An overview of the situation should be published here shortly.”

Couldn't pay me enough to take that job.

I'd pay to do it.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    I like how a statement about polyamory somehow turned into legalization of polygamous fidelity

there are a lot of conclusions to jump there

plus the even farther implication that this would inevitably lead to an increase in polygynous relationships, to the detriment of the available mate pool for men

Which is the exact opposite of trends actually observed in the real world when we're talking about first-world non-religious polyamory.

agreed, but this seems to include a rather large sample bias

the other data has a much larger bias, I would argue

what, are religious people going to be rapture'd away soon?

Well, in the west we aren't a strict theocracy any more so I would argue the influence there is smaller than one would expect

I would say that currently religious thought is anti-polygamy in the west, so you would only see it religiously in fringe sects, and those that would typically engage in legal polygamy would be those more inclined to it today, i.e. those typically in "alt" communities, where the balance is different vis-a-vis polygyny/polyandry than historical trends

I think fringe sects can expand remarkably fast if permitted to do so, and polygamy is one of the ways in which rapid spread is fuelled (via providing women for loyal disciples).

Sexually progressive 'alt' communities exist exclusively in a bubble of cultural liberalism, protected by the force of the state. If that force fades, a mob comes and beats the deviants up - if the mob feels forgiving. I don't think there are any reasons to suspect that the West has become so modern as to be immune to this kind of regression

Now I'm confused. Wouldn't legalized polygamy inherently carry with it the ability for gay marriage, and thus enshrine the force of the state to protect people? Like, they wouldn't be deviants any more

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I really haven't run across people who I would classify as a "healthy" polyamourous relationship where it is one male and a bunch of different women, unless the women are sleeping with one another

... I think I'm going to take a cold shower now.

Just ordered the PC wireless receiver for the 360 controller.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Two slices Z Pizza eaten

~710 calories

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    trying to lose weight for my wedding

ate a sweet potato for lunch

also a shitload of coffee

I am down slightly over 5lbs in 3 weeks

this last week I only lost .4lbs -- totes cheated myself : (

later this week is going to be hard with travel

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Elki wrote: »
    The MtGox Bitcoin exchange, which last week sought bankruptcy protection in Japan, opened a helpline for anxious customers on Monday after unveiling a massive loss in a possible theft.

The troubled exchange filed for protection with the Tokyo District Court Friday, admitting that it had lost nearly half a billion dollars worth of the digital currency.

The call centre will respond to “all inquiries to MtGox”, the Tokyo-based firm said on its website. “An overview of the situation should be published here shortly.”

I'd pay to do it.

"if you get the chance, you should kill yourself"

Wqdwp8l.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I cannot deal with this topic

Literally making me ill

catch you guys later.

Tell me. Tell me all about it.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    Gotta run and weigh some beetles, but there are a few points I need to make

@Irond Will I get what you were saying a second ago. I guess I was working on the assumption that legalized polygamy would happen after legal gay marriage, in order to allow for any combinations

If we operate under "Right now Polygamy is legal", then no shit it will have the effects Ronya is talking about because the only allowed arrangement would be one man/many women

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    i mean in western society and largely elsewhere women are more likely to view sex more as a means to an end (emotional support, financial support, stability, etc), whereas men are more likely to view it more as an end in and of itself.

thus it's no real mystery why men are more heavily drawn into informal polyamorous relationships than women. it's also no mystery why formalized polygamy (in the modern world) is almost always one man/ many women - because it meets the sexual goals of men and the extra-sexual goals of women.

the question is why you think that these distinctly gendered views of sex would change just because polygamy were legal and/or polyamory was more widespread? or are you assuming that because the hypothetical world is now okay with polyamory then it also must no longer have the same concepts and values surrounding gender and sexuality?

I think that the first two paragraphs are pretty major oversimplifications, but I don't really want to get into them now.

To answer the question in your third paragraph: I don't think that at all. I think that popular acceptance of plural relationships would the cart, evolution of sexual & gender mores would be the horse.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    desc wrote: »
    Two slices Z Pizza eaten

~710 calories

pz'owned

Wqdwp8l.png
    Feral and I in the same boat right now

And I'm a strict monogamous get dunked Feral

I will sink this boat, is what I am saying

I'd pay to do it.

Every call I'll just listen to everything they have to say, and then I'll start reading from the wikipedia page for FDIC. And then pick up where I left off for the next caller after they hang up.

smCQ5WE.jpg

it's gonna be an old-skool hassle to get it to work where you want it to.

even the wired controller is an old-skool hassle.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    The Tunt family

all with names that start with C

I definitely can't crack this code

way too complex

Pam's tattoo is perfect

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

yogurt
    shrimp
    eggs
    hot sauce
    canned tuna
    spinach
    asparagus

what else

uh

i have been eating hells of lettuce. just chop it up and whip up a vinaigrette and go to town.

if you're looking to cook, celeriac is super low-carb. also cauliflower/ broccoli/ rapini. sweet potatoes are relatively low-carb if you're not looking to go keto.

yeah i am not especially concerned with going into ketosis or whatever. i just have a lot of problems with portion control when i'm having carby meals. they really trigger the desire in me to overeat- bread, pasta, mashed potatoes, or basically any kind of sugar. ugh.

so trying to stick with mostly proteiny and fatty stuff. my satiation levels are more sane with that sort of food.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Damnit I'm trying to find the old data I had on this

Maybe feral has it closer at hand

nah because i'm literally only posting to take a break from the fires I've been scrambling to put out

Nero posts on the forums while rome burns.

Shivahn: because more men (both gay and straight) tend to be interested in nonmonogamous relationships than women, there tends to be a population imbalance in nonreligious nonmonogamous communities (poly, swing, kink). Consequently, it is typical for women have more partners on average than men - one woman might be dating two guys, or there might be a leather family with four guys and three girls. And yeah I had stats to support that at one time but not off-hand right this second.

That can be a bum deal for men in certain ways (think about Holden and Allison in Chasing Amy for a moment) but not in the way ronya is lamenting.

i mean in western society and largely elsewhere women are more likely to view sex more as a means to an end (emotional support, financial support, stability, etc), whereas men are more likely to view it more as an end in and of itself.

thus it's no real mystery why men are more heavily drawn into informal polyamorous relationships than women. it's also no mystery why formalized polygamy (in the modern world) is almost always one man/ many women - because it meets the sexual goals of men and the extra-sexual goals of women.

the question is why you think that these distinctly gendered views of sex would change just because polygamy were legal and/or polyamory was more widespread? or are you assuming that because the hypothetical world is now okay with polyamory then it also must no longer have the same concepts and values surrounding gender and sexuality?

Yeah I think the sample Feral is using "(poly, swing, kink)" is very self selecting and not really representative of society as a whole would tend towards if non-monogamous unions were widely seen as a legitimate option.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+

what is your method skips?

Wqdwp8l.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Sexually progressive 'alt' communities exist exclusively in a bubble of cultural liberalism

Depends on the scope of observation and what qualities you consider to make something sexually progressive and/or alt.

Managed infidelity is not a modern anomaly.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

yogurt
    shrimp
    eggs
    hot sauce
    canned tuna
    spinach
    asparagus

what else

uh

you're forgetting cheese and make sure you're getting this kind of yogurt

greek-gods-traditional-plain-109175.jpg

with absolutely no sugar added, you can add splenda or something if you don't like it plain

as Dr Lustig says, "Yogurt in America is like eating Yogurt in Europe plus a bowl of cereal"

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I like how a statement about polyamory somehow turned into legalization of polygamous fidelity

there are a lot of conclusions to jump there

plus the even farther implication that this would inevitably lead to an increase in polygynous relationships, to the detriment of the available mate pool for men

Which is the exact opposite of trends actually observed in the real world when we're talking about first-world non-religious polyamory.

agreed, but this seems to include a rather large sample bias

the other data has a much larger bias, I would argue

what, are religious people going to be rapture'd away soon?

Well, in the west we aren't a strict theocracy any more so I would argue the influence there is smaller than one would expect

I would say that currently religious thought is anti-polygamy in the west, so you would only see it religiously in fringe sects, and those that would typically engage in legal polygamy would be those more inclined to it today, i.e. those typically in "alt" communities, where the balance is different vis-a-vis polygyny/polyandry than historical trends

I think fringe sects can expand remarkably fast if permitted to do so, and polygamy is one of the ways in which rapid spread is fuelled (via providing women for loyal disciples).

Sexually progressive 'alt' communities exist exclusively in a bubble of cultural liberalism, protected by the force of the state. If that force fades, a mob comes and beats the deviants up - if the mob feels forgiving. I don't think there are any reasons to suspect that the West has become so modern as to be immune to this kind of regression

Now I'm confused. Wouldn't legalized polygamy inherently carry with it the ability for gay marriage, and thus enshrine the force of the state to protect people? Like, they wouldn't be deviants any more

eh. I am taking it as given that the ability for a liberal state to remain a liberal state is obviously dubious if there is a elite of men accumulating both women and their wealth within it. Yes, it would enshrine the force of the state to protect such polygamous relationships, but the state's will to do so can still ebb. Hence, 'if that force fades'.

Liberalism is a resilient self-reinforcing system, but one of the mechanisms of reinforcement is a basic degree of egalitarianism to start with. If getting a chance of any :winky: at all required deferral to a reactionary elite, I think the reactionary elite would have no problems finding enough young men to staff an angry mob.

aRkpc.gif

it's gonna be an old-skool hassle to get it to work where you want it to.

even the wired controller is an old-skool hassle.

It is assumed. I am also building a proper gaming PC, that runs a proper gaming OS, so hopefully that will avoid any issues. I'm gonna stick to my MacBook for work, and will build the PC like it's a gaming console.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    When I need to lose several pounds quickly I just swap out my usual breakfast or lunch with a smoothie. A handful of frozen fruit, a few tablespoons of yogurt, a cup of unsweetened coconut milk, and a teaspoon of sweetener (I prefer Truvia - expensive but tastes exactly like sugar to me). Low calorie, nutrient dense, and filling. I keep my diet the same otherwise. Should shave several hundred calories off your typical intake a day.

oddly coffee helps control my carb cravings

I don't know if that's just my stupid brain or if theres science behind it

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Some of these Fionna and Cake AT comic covers are splendid
    FionnaCake_02_cvrD.jpg

adventure_time__fionna_and_cake__issue_1_by_quin_ones-d5itcdf.jpg

Fionna-Cake-5-cover-D.jpg

Actually no all of them are great

Oh brilliant
    A networking equipment company sent me a promotion in the mail

A free toy helicopter... with the remote control missing.

And a note that says "Schedule a meeting to get your remote control"

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

Same for me.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Sexually progressive 'alt' communities exist exclusively in a bubble of cultural liberalism

Depends on the scope of observation and what qualities you consider to make something sexually progressive and/or alt.

Managed infidelity is not a modern anomaly.

true, but there's a vast gap between hunter-gatherer society and the industrial society

I assume that giving up the material quality of life generated by the latter is not on the table

aRkpc.gif
  • jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular

Caffeine increases insulin levels, at least that's what I heard - which would have that effect I assume (killing carb cravings).

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    So I was going to use a chunk of my tax return to buy a new PS4.

But I just got a call from the game place I took all the old consoles and games to and they're offering just over $500 in store credit. So now I'm just going to play the waiting game for them to get new consoles in 8-)

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i've had zero issues with my 360 controller on my pc. it seamlessly works with basically every game i've played and switching back to the mouse is as simple as touching my mouse

yogurt
    shrimp
    eggs
    hot sauce
    canned tuna
    spinach
    asparagus

what else

uh

yeah i am not especially concerned with going into ketosis or whatever. i just have a lot of problems with portion control when i'm having carby meals. they really trigger the desire in me to overeat- bread, pasta, mashed potatoes, or basically any kind of sugar. ugh.

so trying to stick with mostly proteiny and fatty stuff. my satiation levels are more sane with that sort of food.

yeah that is my thought too.

of course, i'm not really driving this diet. frankie is, using some ebook. so far it's really reduced calories (maybe 800/ day i guess?) with lots of fiber/ complex carbs/ etc. fairly low fat. yesterday was uh some apple slices, some low-cal toast with eggs (+sauteed garlic and cherry tomatoes) and a curried chicken wrap (chicken breast with some apple chunks in a whole-wheat wrap).

today was so far a baked sweet potato mixed with dried cranberries, greek yogurt and salt + pepper and i guess dinner is gonna be salmon.

i'd probably have made a few different calls if i were driving the boat, but as long as frankie is driven to cook lunches and dinners i am totes along for the ride.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

what is your method skips?

I have been doing weight watchers with sarah

we've been doing a good job of cooking at home, eating a lot of veggies, snacking healthy

my achilles heel is alcohol and that's what slowed my loss this past week : (

low carb forums claim coffee lowers insulin resistance which would definitely explain it

idk if there's any research tho

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

I'd pay to do it.

That was the coldest shit ever said on TV.

• Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    just got a company email saying they are going to have yoga classes during lunch for anyone interested

i'm trying to decide whether i'm cool enough to do it kind of half ironically

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    just got a company email saying they are going to have yoga classes during lunch for anyone interested

i'm trying to decide whether i'm cool enough to do it kind of half ironically

yoga pants

that is all.

Bless your heart.
This discussion has been closed.