As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat] Fandango

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Is it bad that I mentally append every Feral post with .....ladiessssss

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Managed infidelity is not a modern anomaly.

No, but I'd argue the concept of plural commitment is.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    just got a company email saying they are going to have yoga classes during lunch for anyone interested

i'm trying to decide whether i'm cool enough to do it kind of half ironically

why would you do it ironically

yoga is good excercise

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    A networking equipment company sent me a promotion in the mail

A free toy helicopter... with the remote control missing.

And a note that says "Schedule a meeting to get your remote control"

the Christian Democratic Party of Italy in the 1950s apparently used to buy votes by giving voters left shoes

aRkpc.gif
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    @Irond Will

Gotta say your diet sounds delicious.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    i've had zero issues with my 360 controller on my pc. it seamlessly works with basically every game i've played and switching back to the mouse is as simple as touching my mouse

That's what I want to hear.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    jeffinva wrote: »
    When I need to lose several pounds quickly I just swap out my usual breakfast or lunch with a smoothie. A handful of frozen fruit, a few tablespoons of yogurt, a cup of unsweetened coconut milk, and a teaspoon of sweetener (I prefer Truvia - expensive but tastes exactly like sugar to me). Low calorie, nutrient dense, and filling. I keep my diet the same otherwise. Should shave several hundred calories off your typical intake a day.

i thought coconut milk had crazy calories.

Wqdwp8l.png
    Quid wrote: »
    So I was going to use a chunk of my tax return to buy a new PS4.

But I just got a call from the game place I took all the old consoles and games to and they're offering just over $500 in store credit. So now I'm just going to play the waiting game for them to get new consoles in 8-)

Do I get a vote?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Holy fak PS4 controllers are expensive.

• Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    just got a company email saying they are going to have yoga classes during lunch for anyone interested

yoga pants

that is all.

my friend says she wont wear them

i responded with 'yoga pants or i feed'

i don't think she understands LoL jokes

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    adventure time fandom sure does love them some gender-swapping

Wqdwp8l.png
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

.... that's pretty fucking tempting.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Geth, status report

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Situation report:

Thread Recycle: page 100
    Resistance is quaint.

Atomika wrote: »

you can find those in hunter-gatherer societies though, afaik. loosely speaking. Obviously whether they conceive of it as plural commitment in the way we do is a bit iffy, but you can find societies where the particular identity of the biological father is not particularly stressed

aRkpc.gif
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    It just said schedule. Not attend. Send me my remote.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    My granny had a rotary phone. I loved using it.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Elki wrote: »
    i've had zero issues with my 360 controller on my pc. it seamlessly works with basically every game i've played and switching back to the mouse is as simple as touching my mouse

That's what I want to hear.

i use it to play nba2k14, mark of the ninja, tomb raider, sleeping dogs, arkham city, la noire...

if at any point i want to use my mouse for like, a shooting section? i don't have to go into menus or whatever

just move my mouse at all or press any key and it automatically, instantly switches (then i can move the analog stick in any direction to instantly switch back)

the main lesson of rotary pohnes was you grow to hate people with 9s in their phone number

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i still haven't gotten the hang of properly cooking chicken or fish. i tried to use the foreman grill but stuff comes out way more done than i want it to. i guess it'd be nice to bake it? i dunno. i often end up snacking specifically because properly cooking an entree is so daunting.

ronya wrote: »

you can find those in hunter-gatherer societies though, afaik. loosely speaking. Obviously whether they conceive of it as plural commitment in the way we do is a bit iffy, but you can find societies where the particular identity of the biological father is not particularly stressed

This is true, as I recall the small culture (in southern China? Maybe?) where monogamy isn't a thing and children have no fathers, and are instead raised by their mother and maternal uncles.

These people are well aware of the modern conventions of marriage, and think they're hilariously dumb.

i still haven't gotten the hang of properly cooking chicken or fish. i tried to use the foreman grill but stuff comes out way more done than i want it to. i guess it'd be nice to bake it? i dunno. i often end up snacking specifically because properly cooking an entree is so daunting.

I've taken to roasting chicken breasts. Dip em in olive oil, pound them out a little bit, sprinkle with spices and cook

This is true, as I recall the small culture (in southern China? Maybe?) where monogamy isn't a thing and children have no fathers, and are instead raised by their mother and maternal uncles.

These people are well aware of the modern conventions of marriage, and think they're hilariously dumb.

Hey, as long as babies get fed and spend time with role models, hard to criticize.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Lol Yoga pants

Funny because butts

the main lesson of rotary pohnes was you grow to hate people with 9s in their phone number

"Please input your credit card number."

*hangs up, goes to neighbor's house*

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular

yoga pants

that is all.

my friend says she wont wear them

i responded with 'yoga pants or i feed'

i don't think she understands LoL jokes
    Now she thinks you're gonna buy her some free cheeseburgers

Bless your heart.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Sexually progressive 'alt' communities exist exclusively in a bubble of cultural liberalism

Depends on the scope of observation and what qualities you consider to make something sexually progressive and/or alt.

true, but there's a vast gap between hunter-gatherer society and the industrial society

I assume that giving up the material quality of life generated by the latter is not on the table

I'm not talking hunter-gatherer either.

As a broad, messy generalization, the most common sexual norms vis-a-vis fidelity aren't of the form "don't have sex outside of marriage," they're of the form "whatever you do outside of marriage, don't let it disrupt the family unit." You disavow having sex with your neighbor's wife because you don't want to cast a doubt on whether any offspring born from that dalliance are disruptive to the patrilineage rights of either house. Alternatively, a man can have sex with his neighbor's husband as long as he continues to play the good role of father and husband after he's done. Discretion is more important than fidelity. We see this today with some of the polygynous societies we've been talking about. It's okay to creep as long as you keep it on the down-low.

As a generalization, it is often wrong... but it is less wrong than the generalization that sexual fidelity is the traditional historical worldwide mainstream.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    chat, is this a good deal?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-139-054

Keep in mind that I do want a fully modular PSU.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    kedinik wrote: »

Hey, as long as babies get fed and spend time with role models, hard to criticize.

I completely agree.

As I said, I've come to view monogamy and western coupling traditions with a more critical eye of late.

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Why would an uncle want to care for some other person's brat.
    China is the worst.
    [Chat] is the worst

Bless your heart.
    Elki wrote: »
    chat, is this a good deal?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-139-054

Keep in mind that I do want a fully modular PSU.

Any of the corsair stuff is high quality, so yeah, that's a pretty good deal.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • japanjapan Registered User regular

Schedule a meeting and then spend the whole time playing with the helicopter

Make one of them designate their laptop/tablet as the landing pad so they can't open/use it

Sexually progressive 'alt' communities exist exclusively in a bubble of cultural liberalism

Depends on the scope of observation and what qualities you consider to make something sexually progressive and/or alt.

true, but there's a vast gap between hunter-gatherer society and the industrial society

I assume that giving up the material quality of life generated by the latter is not on the table

As a broad, messy generalization, the most common sexual norms vis-a-vis fidelity aren't of the form "don't have sex outside of marriage," they're of the form "whatever you do outside of marriage, don't let it disrupt the family unit." You disavow having sex with your neighbor's wife because you don't want to cast a doubt on whether any offspring born from that dalliance are disruptive to the patrilineage rights of either house. Alternatively, a man can have sex with his neighbor's husband as long as he continues to play the good role of father and husband after he's done. Discretion is more important than fidelity. We see this today with some of the polygynous societies we've been talking about. It's okay to creep as long as you keep it on the down-low.

well, that observation is true, but then the emphasis on discretion indicates that (1) it isn't progressive (2) it isn't explicit, the non-explicitness means it can't be formalized, and the non-formalizability means it can't scale into something that is actually an organized threat to whatever established order there is, be it contemporary liberalism or Victorian repression

aRkpc.gif

I've taken to roasting chicken breasts. Dip em in olive oil, pound them out a little bit, sprinkle with spices and cook

Yeah cooking things on or a grill or pan requires a lot of care and attention, and often, you'll need a really thin piece of meat and to marinade the fuck out of it or it'll dry out.

Baking is the best solution. Toss it in for like 30-40 minutes, and make your side dish.

China is the worst.
    [Chat] is the worst

It's a matriarchal society that also encourages large extended families living under one roof.

It's probably not a bad way to manage your wealth and resources.

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Yoga pants are so comfy though. Like oh my gorb levels of comfort.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    China is the worst.
    [Chat] is the worst

I am a million times more interested in helping out with my nieces and nephews than I am with having my own kids.

Loads more fun.

kedinik wrote: »

I completely agree.

As I said, I've come to view monogamy and western coupling traditions with a more critical eye of late.

aren't you married?

Wqdwp8l.png

As a generalization, it is often wrong... but it is less wrong than the generalization that sexual fidelity is the traditional historical worldwide mainstream.

I think the traditional thinking might be more narrowly focused on "I want my babies to be mine if they're to inherit my stuff" than on the general notion of "don't disrupt the family unit".

This discussion has been closed.