As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Glossolalia] Silver\Vignette (Everybody Join In)

19596979899101»

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Y'know, I'm surprised none of you supersoldiers went for real tech wankery. Guns that fire remote controlled grey goo, your nanobots being able to create backups of your brain, arms turning into railguns, ect. At least having them be hardened against EMPs.
    Ah well, what could've been.

cB557 on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    He's behind an open gate

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Not metal gear enough

You have to get stupid

Like weapons made out of salamanders

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    That was me trying to stay within reason, actually. I figured "I launch a swarm of nanobot pods down to the base from my space station, which will consume the base and send me a copy of it's atomic structure so I can extract information from it" wouldn't be very exciting.

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Cedric Haul Solar Dog (Engineer +1) (Electromagnetism+1)

"Yeah, 'try better than that'." Dog rolls the body of Tripwire Tarantula over for the team to get a better look at her face. Either this is a pretty good replica, or there's gonna be some good lines coming from the CO. While waiting for the reply from their superiors Dog detaches the copper tripwire used on him from the kit of Tarantula. The spooled coil might come in handy later.

Awaiting the chance to be salty and say 'dead my ass!'

VRXwDW7.png
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    He's behind an open gate

so

that means that there should be no problem running up and hitting him

right
    cB557 wrote: »
    Y'know, I'm surprised none of you supersoldiers went for real tech wankery. Guns that fire remote controlled grey goo, your nanobots being able to create backups of your brain, arms turning into railguns, ect. At least having them be hardened against EMPs.
    Ah well, what could've been.

gotta start somewhere

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited March 2014
    Yeah your getting way past what metal gear does

They use it to become fake vampires or make organic robots that moo

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Not metal gear enough

You have to get stupid

Like weapons made out of salamanders

for the record, I really liked the idea of a hawkeye that is obsessed with slimy mechalizards on our team

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    I'm switching it up a bit

Now I'm a guy that uses salamanders for close quarters combat

salamander knife

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    edited March 2014
    the hardest part of these is coming up with vaguely relevant words for the "pronunciation lessons"

I, personally, am really excited to see where you go with these

e: also, gonna repost just in case no one saw it

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg

Eh, from what I've seen so far of this setting, something similar to that is pretty plausible. Yeah, for the "copy of its atomic structure" thing, you'd probably need to find a few spare internets to store the whole thing, but you could probably launch a couple swarms set to eat everything in the area that looks like a human cell and after a couple kill codes and another swarm of nanobots sent to eat the first swarm of nanobots (just to be safe), you could then just do whatever you wanted with the base.

e: wait, is too close to smash with a running haymaker

also what would i roll for this

to be absolutely honest I am still sort of struggling to understand how pairs and holds and stuff work in Balance, probably mostly because I am just having trouble conceptualizing it, if that makes sense

e2: also also, I think it's worth mentioning that both I and Mantis completely expect this to be a hologram or a bag of toxic nanites or a clone with a bomb in his face or something

but dammit, he's going to try to smash face anyway

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg

Eh, from what I've seen so far of this setting, something similar to that is pretty plausible. Yeah, for the "copy of its atomic structure" thing, you'd probably need to find a few spare internets to store the whole thing, but you could probably launch a couple swarms set to eat everything in the area that looks like a human cell and after a couple kill codes and another swarm of nanobots sent to eat the first swarm of nanobots (just to be safe), you could then just do whatever you wanted with the base.

what about the EMP field though

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • MacGuffinMacGuffin Registered User regular
    You have to understand that 'nanobots' is really just shorthand for 'magic' in Metal Gear. Of course you can do everything with 'magic' but that wouldn't be any fun. You have to make characters that philosophize over the nature of war and man while punching other characters with supersonic fists.

edited March 2014
    I mean yeah you could so that

But that's no fun

That's like playing a superhero game and saying your power is to kill everything

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

This kind of thing is definitely theoretically possible, but would require a lot of nanobots to accomplish efficiently, and represents a greater level of resources that the characters have access to

edited March 2014
    Idea: The nanobots are shaped like ninjas, and the base has its own defense nanobots. Boom, ninja war on the nano scale. Best RPG ever.
    :P

what about the EMP field though
    Hardened electronics, son.

...Just in case it wasn't clear, I know that the reason it's like this is because it'd be boring other wise. I'm just messing around.

Edit:

This kind of thing is definitely theoretically possible, but would require a lot of nanobots to accomplish efficiently, and represents a greater level of resources that the characters have access to
    They started this off with by launching themselves across the globe by firing their drop pods out of railguns. Drops pods that are made of nanobots and assemble themselves into the team's gear upon landing.

cB557 on
    Tommy-

There is a gate at the entrance of the cemetery. It is the gate you walked through to enter the cemetery. You're now near one of the gravestones. The dude is back at the entrance.

You would roll 1d4-1d4.

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    also for the record kilroy, I really really like what you're doing with your character

Mantis, however, just ain't got no time for his shit

perhaps they could bond through a mutal interest in inhuman facades, though

thanks! one of the few benefits of being crazy is that it makes you really good at writing that kind of crazy

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    e: wait, is too close to smash with a running haymaker

also what would i roll for this

to be absolutely honest I am still sort of struggling to understand how pairs and holds and stuff work in Balance, probably mostly because I am just having trouble conceptualizing it, if that makes sense

e2: also also, I think it's worth mentioning that both I and Mantis completely expect this to be a hologram or a bag of toxic nanites or a clone with a bomb in his face or something

but dammit, he's going to try to smash face anyway

I'm understanding how rolls reflect specific outcomes, but the terminology of holds and pairs is getting me confused. Some clarification would be appreciated.

VRXwDW7.png
    Seeing how it always takes awhile for mods to notice

Hey @Tube can we get a lock

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    oh god what's gonna happen

geth roll 1d4-1d4

1d4-1d4 -3 [1d4=1] [1d4=4]

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    FUCK

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited March 2014
    I accept death as a consistent friend

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    getting such a loss is actually a good way to give speed an opportunity to show that this guy ain't no joke, in just how well he dodges you.

or something

jnij103vqi2i.png
    edited March 2014
    getting such a loss is actually a good way to give speed an opportunity to show that this guy ain't no joke, in just how well he dodges you.

or something

perfectly okay with absolutely missing and making an asshole out of myself and breaking jian's hand by hitting the iron gate in the process or something,

for the sake of comedy

you're probably right though, if this guy isn't a fake or a proxy of some kind then I probably had no hope to begin with

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Tommy you roll 2 1d4's subtracting the second number from the first

example you you roll 3 2

you wind up with +1. That means you get one good thing to happen for you.
    PLAYing both would allow you to get 3 good things(or a single +3 thing) to happen for you at the cost of 2(or a single -2 thing) bad things to happening to you as well.

Holding is basically saying if ou only want a +3 but you roll are +4, you can hold the +1 for later

edited March 2014
    Looks like tube isnt around

Maybe @The Geebs That Got Bigtimed can lock it for us?

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    can i hold the negatives on this roll and jian can just have a sudden unexpected heart attack after the mission

(thanks neo, that makes a lot of sense)

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    can't we just wait until a mod notices and locks it

do we gotta pester 'em about it?

But I wanna see Deads new threaaaaad

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    I always feel iffy about drawing their attention to us
    I don't want them getting annoyed and stomping out this thread which you know, they can totally do

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    But I wanna see Deads new threaaaaad

Dude

Chill

IKknkhU.gif
    Im kidding

And I was just trying to be helpful

But yeah ill just let them do their thing

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »
    I always feel iffy about drawing their attention to us
    I don't want them getting annoyed and stomping out this thread which you know, they can totally do

I don't really think that's an issue.

This thread is incredibly innocuous.

IKknkhU.gif
This discussion has been closed.