As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

nudi[chat]

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    its not that i have anything against pandas

i just wouldn't want my sister to marry one or anything

Have you seen the amount of bamboo they eat? You'd go broke buying them dinner.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    nah i mean i agree with this in principle - like everyone else, i have had many many great friendships that i haven't maintained but still feel were really valuable to me and would never consider "taking back".

but weirdly enough the whole time i dated i never had the desire to date more than one person and, while i didn't generally see romantic relationships as a point on an inevitable track - i am only getting married for the first time at 40 - i also never really went into them expecting their demise.

my folks have been married 50 years this summer. i guess maybe my view of their marriage has influenced my sense of romantic relationships. also this kind of stubborn irish tradition i guess. my brothers are oriented the same way i am.

I wonder if there's any kind of genetic predisposition towards mono or poly sexuality, or if it is primarily or entirely a construct of culture.

I suspect that many of the traditionally sex-positive writers and researchers have avoided this topic previously because it seemed like it would end up, inevitably, as a way to attack the GLBT community in a roundabout fashion.

i think a lot of the heterosexual support for gay marriage comes from the moral primacy of monogamy

Wrong as I feel that primacy may be for some people, I can't disagree here.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Feral wrote: »
    nah i mean i agree with this in principle - like everyone else, i have had many many great friendships that i haven't maintained but still feel were really valuable to me and would never consider "taking back".

but weirdly enough the whole time i dated i never had the desire to date more than one person and, while i didn't generally see romantic relationships as a point on an inevitable track - i am only getting married for the first time at 40 - i also never really went into them expecting their demise.

my folks have been married 50 years this summer. i guess maybe my view of their marriage has influenced my sense of romantic relationships. also this kind of stubborn irish tradition i guess. my brothers are oriented the same way i am.

I wonder if there's any kind of genetic predisposition towards mono or poly sexuality, or if it is primarily or entirely a construct of culture.

I suspect that many of the traditionally sex-positive writers and researchers have avoided this topic previously because it seemed like it would end up, inevitably, as a way to attack the GLBT community in a roundabout fashion.

There are certainly genetic (and epigenetic lol) predispositions to certain personality traits, which themselves might be predispositions to one relationship style or another.

Traits like extroversion, or variety-seeking.

Yeah, absolutely

I was more wondering if its more explicitly comparable to sexuality

in that someone can really be born poly- or mono-sexual, and there's a theoretical spectrum, etc.

and, like I said, I think that people have avoided that question because its a gigantic fucking minefield and even mentioning it I feel the need to create a long list of disclaimers that I'm not saying X, Y, or Z.

I doubt that it's remotely as discrete as that.

Hell, I think sexual orientation isn't as discrete as we make it out to be.

I suspect that at best we'll be able to identify certain biological markers that have weak but detectable correlations on certain personality traits (and preferences, and behaviors) which themselves have weak but detectable correlations with certain types of romantic arrangement.

But I do think that people are often pushed into the closest matching box by various circumstances (in many different ways in life, not just with sexuality). If you're mostly satisfied with monogamy but you have a little tickle in the back of your brain about other people, that might not be enough to push you to break your vows. Or you may go through a slutty phase after a divorce because you're overcompensating for lack of sexy fun times during your marriage.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Wash wrote: »
    So John Campbell, the guy who does Pictures for Sad Children, burned 127 copies of his latest book Sad Pictures for Children, filmed it, and included the video in an update on the page of the kickstarter he'd used to fund the book, along with a very long message about why.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/73258510/sad-pictures-for-children/posts/759318

So, so much avface

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Dat online ordering

I just used zappos for the first time and got some nice utilitarian hiking boots.

Now I just need Amazon to not treat their workers like shit so I don't have to feel as bad ordering though them.

@tl dr

such is the cost of free two day delivery.

steam_sig.png
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Migrate critical app to new server, new database, new version, check everything, go live, make announcement 5 minutes before end of business?

Done.

Rush out the door leaving new server to do critical things while I cook cajun food for 40 people and probably drink a bunch of beers?

YESSS LETS GO

This feels perilous but fuck it. I have confidence it's working!

aaaaaaaaaaaa *panics*

To;Dr Spool is moving to Cajun Country to become a short order chef in busy suburban bar with new servers.

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular

i think a lot of the heterosexual support for gay marriage comes from the moral primacy of monogamy

Which is weird, because part of the support is also a recognition of "well, everyone just does their own thing, hooray America!"

So you have contradictory messages in that society is now allowing homosexuals to get "real" married, as in a monogamous 1+1 traditional household marriage, while a big part of the message and validation behind allow gay marriage is letting individuals define their own sexual and romantic identities.

Ultimately, I think support for gay marriage, long-term, lends itself towards a society more willing to consider and eventually support non-traditional relationships.

So yes, Republicans,

you were right

gay marriage will destroy traditional marriage

its just nobody will care.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    ronya wrote: »
    So John Campbell, the guy who does Pictures for Sad Children, burned 127 copies of his latest book Sad Pictures for Children, filmed it, and included the video in an update on the page of the kickstarter he'd used to fund the book, along with a very long message about why.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/73258510/sad-pictures-for-children/posts/759318

http://boohooboo.tumblr.com/post/77377862645 is more informative

I love that rant, by the way.

that rant is really fucked up because he found a picture of the only black woman he knows who does webcomics and plastered it on his blog and acted like he was acting on her behalf

when she is friends with joel watson and did not give him her permission

he just put it up to give his rant some more legitimacy or something? thats fucked

I didn't see that. But I'm having a weird thing where some of the images on his tumblr aren't loading. Like, there's a big whitespace field for me at the top of that rant and there has been since yesterday. I thought it was just Campbell being Campbell.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

that rant is really fucked up because he found a picture of the only black woman he knows who does webcomics and plastered it on his blog and acted like he was acting on her behalf

he just put it up to give his rant some more legitimacy or something? thats fucked

i feel like there are not enough eyes in the world to roll to the degree that page deserves

Wqdwp8l.png
    Unfortunately for conservatives, there's not really a thing such as "traditional marriage" without serious caveat.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    @Rear Admiral Choco‌: Swing and a miss.

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    These magic negrospeople supposedly have no word for murder, rape, war, father or jealousy. It helps that they are preliterate so these claims can't be disproven easily.

Well sure, pretending that a preliterate society represents some kind of Noble Savage ideal because it arguably lacks a particular word is approximately as senseless as arguing that Eskimos think differently because they have more words for describing snow.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.

Agreed, I guess a better way to phrase it is "I wonder if biological preferences for mono or poly relationships end up being as strong or stronger than cultural restrictions on the same, and what the breaking point and balance of each ends up being?"

Like I said, its a difficult topic to discuss because, well, everything.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    is he

is he saying that taking people's money and running is how he's fighting capitalism?

i don't

what?

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

holy shit that guy really went off his fucking meds

set up a fight club in his basement

maybe more of a fight tumblr i guess

stole a bunch of money

said fuck it, pissed it away, told the people he owed that he was abolishing the wage system

he's not a part of your system, maaaaan

rent is theft!

It would seem to follow that any culture with no word for war, murder, or rape would be ill-prepared to come into contact with any culture that did.

• Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    ahhh yeah

fucked up the google doc format while the entire deapartment was working on it, so everyone can see my little pink colored box frantically hop around the spreadsheet trying to fix things

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k

holy shit that guy really went off his fucking meds

set up a fight club in his basement

maybe more of a fight tumblr i guess

stole a bunch of money

said fuck it, pissed it away, told the people he owed that he was abolishing the wage system

he's not a part of your system, maaaaan

rent is theft!

His dad's not a phone, duh.

I want to start a Kickstarter project where one of the stretch goals will be "promise to not light your books on fire."

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Hmm I miss reading pictures for sad children

I am not sure what to make of any of this

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

i feel like there are not enough eyes in the world to roll to the degree that page deserves

He collected $50,000 minus kickstarter fees and promised 1000 books, but decided to go "ABOLISH THE WAGE SYSTEM" instead of deliver?

I hope he gets help and makes this right for the backers.

"Windows Phone Projected To Be Fastest-Growing Smartphone OS"

if three more people buy it, its market share will increase 150%!

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2014

Which is weird, because part of the support is also a recognition of "well, everyone just does their own thing, hooray America!"

So you have contradictory messages in that society is now allowing homosexuals to get "real" married, as in a monogamous 1+1 traditional household marriage, while a big part of the message and validation behind allow gay marriage is letting individuals define their own sexual and romantic identities.

Ultimately, I think support for gay marriage, long-term, lends itself towards a society more willing to consider and eventually support non-traditional relationships.

So yes, Republicans,

you were right

it's kind of sold both ways i think

it kind of appeals to social libertarianism, which is de rigeur in most left-wing individualism and also a newly (re?) emergent strain of conservatism

and also promises the goal of socially mainstreaming gays, which i guess appeals to a lot of people across the social spectrum kind of independently of political ideology.

the pushback to the second thing is going to find common cause with social conservatives as well as queer-identity ideologues, since both have a strong vested interest in maintaining the distinct otherness of homosexuals/ queers/ etc.

strange bedfellows i guess.

as far as support for poly marriage goes, i'll believe it when i see it. homosexuality and trans-genderism are able to be (barely) tolerated or supported because they don't particularly undercut near-universal social values. poly marriage totally does, and it's really only ever viewed in the US as an anthropological oddity.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    who the fuck is didney sebris and what nonsense did he just message me

Arch,
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    is he

is he saying that taking people's money and running is how he's fighting capitalism?

i don't

what?

I deserve the money, because money is a lie. I also deserve things. People should give me money so I can continue to purchase things without any expectation of consideration, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    *takes breathe* aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Deebaser on
    edited March 2014
    "Windows Phone Projected To Be Fastest-Growing Smartphone OS"

if three more people buy it, its market share will increase 150%!

"Windows Phone Projected to be Hottest Doorstop of the Holiday Season"

"Windows Phone Projected to be Most Popular OS for People Who Don't Own iOS, Android"

"Windows Phone Projected to be Reissued with Vista and Mail-In Rebate"

Atomika on
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

So yes, Republicans,

you were right

I care very much.

It kind of feels like a betrayal, like I've been lied to.

I don't like that some people feel support for "non-traditional marriage" is tantamount to destruction of the institution, and that the people supporting it don't give a fuck because they want it destroyed.

That makes me very angry. It makes me want to abandon support for anything but what I have, to batten down the hatches and tell people to fuck off. Make something new you can not give a shit about and don't ruin this institution.

That is probably not what you want but if you can't have it both ways, then you'll drive me into opposing you and everything that leads to you.

:(

add a mod.
    probably something about the papacy.
    did not read

Atomika wrote: »
    It would seem to follow that any culture with no word for war, murder, or rape would be ill-prepared to come into contact with any culture that did.

"Our people have no word for 'war'........

but we do have words for 'kill' and 'lots' and 'no, seriously, LOTS,' so we make do."

(Actually that's basically German as a language)

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

I mean

What is, really?

Deebaser wrote: »

add a mod.
    did not read

why are orcs crying?

Arch,
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular

add a mod.
    did not read

why are orcs crying?

Putin is a Jesuit. That is why?

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    I don't like that some people feel support for "non-traditional marriage" is tantamount to destruction of the institution, and that the people supporting it don't give a fuck because they want it destroyed.

I guess I'm confused as to what you actually support, then.

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    I never know what to make of John Campbell. Everything from their faking faking depression to their recent coming out as trans, to the book burning is all such one long meltdown. I hope they get help.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2014

the boohoohoo tumblr one?

i feel like he makes plenty of good points, but he is also making them through the kind of lens that is only forged by tumbling down the tumblr rabbit hole, where you spin around in your own ideology until you're constantly possessed by a throbbing, shrieking panic that you can barely control because everything is falling apart

i largely agree with his points in it though

Evil Multifarious on
    edited March 2014

add a mod.
    did not read

why are orcs crying?

Sauron lost
    Never forget

Deebaser on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't understand what you're getting at, spool, aside that you're having a strong reaction.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    Shivahn wrote: »

I mean

What is, really?

Over-hard fried eggs.

Either those yolks are runny, or they ain't.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Apparently that new Pokemon anime clarified that Gym Leaders have a set of rules or whatever, saying they have a different lineup depending on which town the challenging trainer is from. So Brock is a chump, right? Because he's the "first" gym leader. But if you're a trainer from way the other side of Kanto, by the time you get to Brock he's authorized to take the gloves off.

That makes so much sense.

Oh brilliant
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    I am using a hidden camera to watch a panda sleep

...doing that is only creepy when the sleeping creature is a human, right? It's kosher to secretly watch pandas sleep?

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    in Singapore, evangelical churches can be pretty aggressive about converting youths, or reinforcing any existing nominal faith. I'm sure that's the case in the US too.

because the extent of cultural Christianity in Singapore is placid Anglicanism, young adult born-again Christians can roar out the doors of their church camp spouting anger and fury, but mostly to the bafflement of their existing peers. After a couple of weeks of confusion, most will adapt towards the weary apathy more typical of an evangelical adjusted to multicultural life - church is for meeting up with friends, youth group is for networking - but, well, you always see a few exceptions who decide that all their non-Christian friends worship demons, all their liberal friends are servants of Satan preaching immorality and sin, and - in particular - all their already-apathetic nominally Christian friends are literally faithless liars. And then they respond as you might expect from actually believing such things, rather than merely mouthing the words every Sunday: fury, dismay, disappointment. Nobody wants to join them in spreading the Word of God to the nations, not even their "Christian" "friends", and the discovery of such fair-weather betrayal cuts deep.

in the modern days of Facebook, you can observe such spectacular explosions from a distance away. And then you lose a friend, or you watch friends lose their friend. Sometimes they surface again years later, with wholly different groups of friends and with all their fervour evaporated, but sometimes they just fade from your life.

And that's how I feel when reading that Campbell post. Well, unpleasant memories.

aRkpc.gif
This discussion has been closed.