As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

nudi[chat]

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Spool. You're looking too deep into a long term change in social norms. Gay marriage is just what it says on the tin. It just happens to coincide with a liberalization regarding sexuality.

• PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    I have Season 5 of Venture Bros

I haven't seen any of it yet

excite

BUT

complication!

I'm watching with a friend who hasn't seen Season 4 yet

dilemma!

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    wow

that kickstarter post from john campbell was a real trip

i guess i feel pity for him but it's from a kind of abstracted position of disbelief

dude seems like he's going insane

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I just realized today is the 11th anniversary of me being on this forum. Yay to this place being full of cool people!

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I have Season 5 of Venture Bros

I haven't seen any of it yet

excite

BUT

complication!

I'm watching with a friend who hasn't seen Season 4 yet

dilemma!

The dilemma being you don't know what to order for when you're watching all of season 4?

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    "How will I explain gay marriage to my children?"

I dunno. What the fuck kind of nonsense have you already told them?

. . . is what I'd like to tell people.

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Mmm pasta.

Totes makes up for going to die alone.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    I don't like that some people feel support for "non-traditional marriage" is tantamount to destruction of the institution, and that the people supporting it don't give a fuck because they want it destroyed.

I guess I'm confused as to what you actually support, then.

Marriage as the signifier of a deep, serious commitment intended to be lifelong. As the least trivial thing you can do, the most serious commitment you can make outside of parenthood.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    hahaha Ken Ham is going to build Noah's Ark

Good luck building a wooden vessel of that size that's seaworthy buddy, it would have made the best shipwrights of the 19th century facepalm

• WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Hmm I miss reading pictures for sad children

I am not sure what to make of any of this

I used to read his comics whenever I was really depressed.

There's a general air of "society is fucked" and "why even bother" about his work that doesn't mesh with the fire in his kickstarter update or on that tumblr. If this was supposed to be him refusing to continue to be an armchair activist, it would've been a helluva lot more credible had he not just stood up and asked people to carry him.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Ahhhhhhhh, god damn, it looks like a long and painful job search is drawing to a close.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    if you support people's freedom to do what they want and be happy in the way they want, it will erode many traditional values and institutions

it won't destroy them, but they will be reduced in power and primacy, through entirely natural, consensual processes and shifts in ideology and personal preference

tradition is a powerful tool but it operates through restriction. you can't have it both ways.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I don't think pairwise marriage is likely to go away in the next century, unless total war happens and society reduces to surviving warlords fighting for scraps

aRkpc.gif
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Wash wrote: »
    So John Campbell, the guy who does Pictures for Sad Children, burned 127 copies of his latest book Sad Pictures for Children, filmed it, and included the video in an update on the page of the kickstarter he'd used to fund the book, along with a very long message about why.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/73258510/sad-pictures-for-children/posts/759318

So, so much avface
    I thought it was well established at this point that he is some sort of weird performance artist troll. Dang thats cray. Also lol kickstarter.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    hahaha Ken Ham is going to build Noah's Ark

Good luck building a wooden vessel of that size that's seaworthy buddy, it would have made the best shipwrights of the 19th century facepalm

Yes

Yesssssssssssssssss

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I care very much.

It kind of feels like a betrayal, like I've been lied to.

I don't like that some people feel support for "non-traditional marriage" is tantamount to destruction of the institution, and that the people supporting it don't give a fuck because they want it destroyed.

That makes me very angry. It makes me want to abandon support for anything but what I have, to batten down the hatches and tell people to fuck off. Make something new you can not give a shit about and don't ruin this institution.

That is probably not what you want but if you can't have it both ways, then you'll drive me into opposing you and everything that leads to you.

:(

spool I am curious about this response

if a bunch of straight people in Austin get divorced, do you feel that this impacts your marriage

like in a real way -- like, changes your feelings for your wife or the stability of your relationship or something

I assume you do not, but I can't really think of how the overall perception of marriage in a city or country or society has any real connection to yours as it stands

like if a bunch of people decide they are going to be boyfriend/girlfriend forever instead of get married

or be boyfriend/boyfriend, or boyfriend/boyfriend/girlfriend, or whatever

it doesn't change the value you place on your relationship

I guess I just don't understand

I guess I'm confused as to what you actually support, then.

Marriage as the signifier of a deep, serious commitment intended to be lifelong. As the least trivial thing you can do, the most serious commitment you can make outside of parenthood.

Yeah, but that's your specific belief.

It's not really fair to go No True Scotsman about other people who don't care or have any impact on your own situation.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    YOU SILLY GEESE!

You depleted my amazing [chat] thread!

is there no end to your greed?

[chat]s are finite resources! At this rate, we'll run out by next week!

• jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    Alright Awesomenaughts for $7.99 and a new version of Dead Nation for free. I have a lot of games on this PS4 now and barely spent anything on them thanks to trade-ins, instant games library, and PSN+ sales. It's still no Steam but it works for me.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    FionnaCake_02_cvrD.jpg

:D

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I love Lucinda Williams fuuuu

the first - minor fifth - sixth chord progression is so country

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Seen in stream:
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day
    Not if you rip the arms off

emnmnme wrote: »
    FionnaCake_02_cvrD.jpg

:D

Oh my god, that should be a game

• WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    "How will I explain gay marriage to my children?"

I dunno. What the fuck kind of nonsense have you already told them?

. . . is what I'd like to tell people.

So basically

gNgnB.jpg

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2014
    i am kind of sympathetic with spool on this.

i'm all for gay marriage because i think that formalized monogamous romantic relationships are great and it isn't fair to restrict them to only heterosexuals.

and because i think that setting up divisions between gay people and straight people is bad for society.

not because institutions need subverting, man. down with the patriarchy!

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Cinders wrote: »
    Mmm pasta.

so many carbs

Wqdwp8l.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    lorc is church is john campbell

my god...

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Institutions are overrated, but they do have a purpose. Marriage is the same way. It's just not the God given monogamous construct evangelicals want it to be, and it never really was.

488W936.png
    Irond Will wrote: »

i'm all for gay marriage because i think that formalized monogamous romantic relationships are great and it isn't fair to restrict them to only heterosexuals.

because i think that setting up divisions between gay people and straight people is bad for society.

So what you are saying is that old people have trouble adjusting to changes in society? :P

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    it's a intergenerational savings vehicle!!

aRkpc.gif
    YOU SILLY GEESE!

You depleted my amazing [chat] thread!

is there no end to your greed?

[chat]s are finite resources! At this rate, we'll run out by next week!

Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I absolutely do not believe in the power of institutions validating individual instances/reifications of that power, and vice versa - I do not believe individual strong examples validate the power of the institution

Whatever individual expression one may transpose to a concept is a fabrication of language, a channeling of certain feelings encompassed in a word

In a world without gold rings I would still love someone

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    I doubt that it's remotely as discrete as that.

Hell, I think sexual orientation isn't as discrete as we make it out to be.

I mean

What is, really?

integers?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    Cinders wrote: »
    Mmm pasta.

so many carbs

Weather is starting to warm up, soon I'll be going back to the gym. In the meantime this is all I've eaten today.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

because i think that setting up divisions between gay people and straight people is bad for society.

but I mean

you've literally been subverting the traditional institution of marriage for a decade now

like, cohabitating for 10 years with no plan to get married (until recently) is what spool is talking about, as I understand it -- romantic arrangements outside of this institution

super_mario_bros_3_frontcover_large_fiJ3M9RhqKOWsgr.jpg

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    when gay marriage is legal I am going to marry an animal
    just to prove an extremist correct

Eddy wrote: »
    I love Lucinda Williams fuuuu

the first - minor fifth - sixth chord progression is so country

I saw her in a small venue in Shreveport a few years back and it was horribly disappointing.

I still like her music, though.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    when gay marriage is legal I am going to marry an animal
    just to prove an extremist correct

Since when can animals consent and sign contracts?

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I doubt that it's remotely as discrete as that.

Hell, I think sexual orientation isn't as discrete as we make it out to be.

I mean

What is, really?

integers?
    Literally almost wrote "except integers." as a third line.

This discussion has been closed.