As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My work

JudasJudas Registered User regular
I decided to make a thread to throw my work into as I felt bad pushing down other people's more polished ( better ) works in the doodle thread. I'll just put my latest stuff in here from now on.

Any criticism, tips, or constructive opinions would be greatly appreciated. Seriously. I don't give a shit about a pat on the back, I just want to get better.

Some personal background; I'm 40 years old and I abandoned art altogether for the last 20 years. Why? ...I don't really know. I could blame a severe case of lack of self confidence, coupled with depression, anxiety, pressure to get a real job and pay bills, etc. But honestly, excuses are all just so much self-serving bullshit; I was a lazy chickenshit who didn't think he was good enough and didn't put in the daily work to get better. This past March I had a moment of crisis/clarity and I started back up again. I sit down to draw now, every day, regardless of how I feel. I gave myself a goal of 2 years to get significantly better. I'm hoping to track my progress with this thread.

About the style; I'm not in love with realism, nor do I have anything against drawing from imagination. It's just that I've always believed that you have to start by trying to get as close to what you see around you before you can evolve into your own unique style. I feel like I still have a lot of work to do before I make that leap.

I'll start the thread with the most recent work completed, all with the last 3 to 4 weeks. I'll also start dating them from this point forward.

Color pencil and ink
lexi_and_elsie_by_markdaniel-d6mh22k.jpg

Self portrait - Pencil
self_portrait_9_2_13_by_markdaniel-d6kt0b2.jpg

Self portrait - Ink
self_portrait_in_cross_hatch_by_markdaniel-d6n1zxk.jpg

Ink
picnic_in_brooklyn_by_markdaniel-d6mwvnv.jpg

Color pencil
havana_by_markdaniel-d6nx9jd.jpg

Still life - color pencil ( latest, completed 10/1/13 )
still_life___color_by_markdaniel-d6oxrd8.jpg

Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver.
Situation excellent. I am attacking.

- General Ferdinand Foch

• NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    DUde...the car and the vegitables...just wow. Hats off man, that is tight!
    Sometimes your hatching feels a bit rushed, and flattens the form. You don't always need it either. The one dated 9/2 (of you i assume?) is really great looking.
    That last one though....i keep going back to it. Its really a beautiful execution!!

• JudasJudas Registered User regular
    DUde...the car and the vegitables...just wow. Hats off man, that is tight!
    Sometimes your hatching feels a bit rushed, and flattens the form. You don't always need it either. The one dated 9/2 (of you i assume?) is really great looking.
    That last one though....i keep going back to it. Its really a beautiful execution!!

Thanks for the kind words.

You're right about the cross-hatching; I'm actually in the process of trying to teach myself how to do it. I found some Youtube videos that help, but it's still tricky; seems really easy to smother the drawing by doing too much. I need more practice.

- General Ferdinand Foch
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    I always post these whenever cross hatching comes up. They're old, but they get the point across that 90 degree hatching is rarely ever a good idea.

cross%20hatching%201.jpg
    cross%20hatching%202.jpg

bombardier wrote: »
    I always post these whenever cross hatching comes up. They're old, but they get the point across that 90 degree hatching is rarely ever a good idea.

Thank you! This is an excellent reference.

- General Ferdinand Foch
    Got an idea for some Halloween art.

Broken Toys - the Rocking Horse
    broken_toys___the_rocking_horse_by_markdaniel-d6pxjm1.jpg

- General Ferdinand Foch
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Since you seem to not shy away from traditional exercises, You may want to try some master studies. You can get some Ideas from the Noah's art camp thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/178745/noah-s-art-camp-ac-group-of-supreme-organization

If your goal is to improve in a sort of self disciplined manor, mixing in master studies will help you with some things that just doing a still life cant (Composition/design/color theory). I think your stuff already shows a ton of good sensibilities, particularly for form and depth. I would suggest really increasing the amount you look at art too, if you don't have a habit of just seeking out some art to look at daily, its a habit that is more important than people think.

Iruka wrote: »
    Since you seem to not shy away from traditional exercises, You may want to try some master studies. You can get some Ideas from the Noah's art camp thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/178745/noah-s-art-camp-ac-group-of-supreme-organization

If your goal is to improve in a sort of self disciplined manor, mixing in master studies will help you with some things that just doing a still life cant (Composition/design/color theory). I think your stuff already shows a ton of good sensibilities, particularly for form and depth. I would suggest really increasing the amount you look at art too, if you don't have a habit of just seeking out some art to look at daily, its a habit that is more important than people think.

Thanks Iruka. I've been looking through Noah's site for a couple of weeks now.

In terms of Master Studies, I've never tried that before; is there any particular artist that you think I would benefit most from, as concerns (Composition/design/color theory)?

- General Ferdinand Foch
    Depends, I guess, on your taste. Noah's suggestions were:
    Albert Bierstadt - John Singer Sargent - Thomas Moran - Frederic Church - George Inness - bouguereau - Howard Pyle - NC Wyeth - Frank E Schoonover - Harvey Dunn - Mead Schaeffer

I liked studying Sargent, Degas, Lautrec because they appeal to me, personally. I suggest spending some time at a museum, If there are none where you are, at least thumb through the selection of art history books at whatever book store. Just figuring out what you like is a big step. Art History tends to be fairly undervalued by art students as a sort of forced part of their education, but just figuring out what your aesthetics are is an important part of the art making process. The more you see, the more varied and more knowledgeable your taste becomes.

Broken Toys - the doll
    broken_toys___the_doll_by_markdaniel-d6qsh0v.jpg

- General Ferdinand Foch
    Looking past the surface.
    736121_10151780061867423_1810301146_o.jpg
    1402870_10151780062322423_196606850_o.jpg

*( I realize there are several facial muscles missing, I did it this way on purpose in order to create a starker image as a contrast to the portrait. )

- General Ferdinand Foch
    Playing around with some chalk on blue construction paper

blues_by_markdaniel-d6r4ijg.jpg

- General Ferdinand Foch
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    I like it, but just watch out for keeping all the flames uniform. You have them all about the same height. Fire is very organic and not symmetrical. As a kid I watched my house nearly burn to the ground.

• buffylovebuffylove Registered User regular
    Love your colors. Such great textures to them. Beautiful stuff.

New story -- DUMP SITE
    banner___book_with_title_close_up_resized_by_paul_a_newman-d6mcq5v.jpg
    edited October 2013
    I like it, but just watch out for keeping all the flames uniform. You have them all about the same height. Fire is very organic and not symmetrical. As a kid I watched my house nearly burn to the ground.

Yeah, I really liked the way the bottom portion of the house came out, the top...not so much. Couldn't put my finger on what was bothering me about it though; I think the symmetry of the flames might be why.
    ( sorry to hear about your house, that must have been traumatic ). I have two more pictures planned that include fire, so I'll give it another crack.

On another note, I really like sketching with the white chalk on colored paper...
    red_by_markdaniel-d6rb4v6.jpg

Judas on

- General Ferdinand Foch
    Broken Toys - Cymbal Monkey
    broken_toys___cymbal_monkey_by_markdaniel-d6rlxwr.jpg

- General Ferdinand Foch
    Broken Toys - Teddy Bear
    broken_toys___teddy_bear_by_markdaniel-d6s8xpr.jpg

- General Ferdinand Foch
    798413_10151850485337423_223417352_o.jpg

- General Ferdinand Foch
    That fire is more better!

Elsie in the sun.
    elsie_in_the_sun_by_markdaniel-d6voebe.jpg

- General Ferdinand Foch
    christmas_with_elsie_and_riley_by_markdaniel-d6xix57.jpg

They know who's been naughty or nice.
    THEY KNOW.

- General Ferdinand Foch
    Happy New Year
    new_year_s_eve_by_markdaniel-d6z3ktf.jpg

I decided to try re-drawing a portrait of myself and my girlfriend; getting better...
    cathy_and_i_by_markdaniel-d6z53uf.jpg

Let's hope this year is better for all of us...
    wrath_by_markdaniel-d708ppd.jpg

- General Ferdinand Foch
    1464630_10151953625277423_870053562_n.jpg

- General Ferdinand Foch
    angel_of_entropy_by_markdaniel-d74etdi.jpg

- General Ferdinand Foch
    waiting_by_markdaniel-d76xkpc.jpg

- General Ferdinand Foch
  • CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    You just keep getting better and better. My only piece of constructive criticism would be that the shading on the cement above the bottom bricks looks a little wonky, (too dark- I'm not sure the cross hatching technique lends itself to that sort of surface.)

Creagan wrote: »
    My only piece of constructive criticism would be that the shading on the cement above the bottom bricks looks a little wonky, (too dark- I'm not sure the cross hatching technique lends itself to that sort of surface.)
    Thanks for the kind words. You're right about the cement, it was bugging me too; I probably should have made the shading more gradual.

- General Ferdinand Foch
  • IntotheVASTIntotheVAST Registered User regular
    I really like the colors you chose in your art. I think my favorite is the new year one with the dog on the couch. The only thing I am not a fan of in that one is the lines you use on the tail to show movement. I think you are talented enough no to have to use those lines to indicate that the tail is moving. Overall I really dig your work.

I really like the colors you chose in your art. I think my favorite is the new year one with the dog on the couch. The only thing I am not a fan of in that one is the lines you use on the tail to show movement. I think you are talented enough no to have to use those lines to indicate that the tail is moving. Overall I really dig your work.

Thanks. I'll try something more organic ( more of a motion-blur ) next time I do movement and see how that comes out.

- General Ferdinand Foch
    I've never asked, what kind of materials are you using? Prisma color pencils, maybe? What kind of paper?

When it comes to traditional media, there is a lot to be said for getting the media to work for you. I'll try and find some tutorials for you that aren't super crappy, but you should consider mixing in some ink/watercolor to your workflow, and trying papers of varying textures to try and see how it effects your drawing.

I've never asked, what kind of materials are you using? Prisma color pencils, maybe? What kind of paper?

When it comes to traditional media, there is a lot to be said for getting the media to work for you. I'll try and find some tutorials for you that aren't super crappy, but you should consider mixing in some ink/watercolor to your workflow, and trying papers of varying textures to try and see how it effects your drawing.

Prismacolor pencils, 80lb press 9x12 drawing paper.

Color pencil is my comfort zone, obviously. I actually got a Surface 2 for Christmas, thinking about starting to move over into digital work. The learning curve just looks mighty steep from where I'm standing ( which is basically at zero ), so I haven't sat down and started working on that. That might be my next step.

- General Ferdinand Foch
    My entry for the Blizzard Diablo art contest. The enemy of my enemy is...a great distraction.

blizzard_diablo_contest___wizard_by_markdaniel-d790rpb.jpg

- General Ferdinand Foch
    I know, I know...I never call, I never write. Things have been crazy busy here for the last month or so. In order to keep my commitment to drawing every day I tricked myself into drawing a comic of one of my favorite westerns...
    ljtsag168gbk.jpg
    vrkp1l2haad2.jpg
    x1lshw15u6y1.jpg
    gc4h445ie0ut.jpg
    q3p6v1d98y44.jpg
    3v95m3058wsx.jpg

1.jpg 138K
    2.jpg 169.7K
    3.jpg 70.7K
    4.jpg 55.1K
    5.jpg 239K
    6.jpg 528.9K

- General Ferdinand Foch
    Is it all actually on one page? If so, you should post it as one image, comic layout is sort of important for being able to actually take it in.

Is it all actually on one page? If so, you should post it as one image, comic layout is sort of important for being able to actually take it in.

Fair enough.

kp42mjnt39s2.jpg

- General Ferdinand Foch
    Finished the second page...
    e9ozo2hyju9k.jpg

Individual panels.

c95dt2slcq10.jpg
    mta0m3teghfe.jpg
    2f36odqxff9y.jpg

7.jpg 440.5K
    8.jpg 204.6K
    9.jpg 227.5K

- General Ferdinand Foch
    Hey man, these are looking pretty good!

Hey man, these are looking pretty good!

Thanks, Iruka. Trying to get the right perspective for the middle panel ( the long shot of the train car interior ) almost made me go cross-eyed.

- General Ferdinand Foch
    One more page.

vqksxvb1q0e4.jpg

Individual panels in order.
    y33y8zfc7fa6.jpg
    wbbcajd5adpl.jpg
    q44x5qaqr9f4.jpg
    jkpdviv6agyd.jpg
    37k4b8v0w8cj.jpg
    luttpbiqq0g0.jpg
    p9qpong7pkco.jpg

You know what I really dislike in comics? Talking heads. No, not the band; it's when the comic artist slaps a characters head in a box and a bunch of dialogue in the word balloon and calls it a day. Very boring. And damned if I only realized I did that on this page when I had already finished drawing it. :-/ Well, despite that, this is fun. I'm going to have to slow the pace down as I have a bunch of things that I need to get to and limited time to do them ( getting married in August ), but I am definitely coming back to this. Hopefully, working on the comic in a purely digital format ( getting the hang of drawing on my Surface, finally ) will speed the process up somewhat.

- General Ferdinand Foch
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    I don't know much about making comics but this one looks good so far! It's nice to see that the pages differ from each other as far as how they're laid out. Also the pacing of the three pages as an opening to the story worked well; it's easy to imagine those shots as the first scene in a movie. Good luck preparing for your wedding!

• sampangolinsampangolin Registered User regular
    I'm really liking this comic! I think you got away with the talking heads, at least they are all in different places from different angles in each panel. A lot of the time they look almost copy pasted when people are trying to save time.

Only crit I have is that in the last page, in panel 3 he is holding the bible really awkwardly. It seems too high up and his hands aren't quite right. I know it's high so you can do the face reveal but maybe try and work out a way to make it look more natural. Glad you'll be keeping it up I'm looking forward to seeing more.