As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fantastic four cartoon

• Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Johnny needs his hair cut and dyed, Sue needs a freaking chin, and Reed needs to hide the spray paint from Ben. Otherwise I don't hate it.

Accualt on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Oh god.

Tonight's episode.

The Hulk.

So awesome.

Furu on
  • Options
    GigatonGigaton Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Furu wrote:
    Oh god.

Tonight's episode.

The Hulk.

So awesome.

I just finished watching this night's episode.
    It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Like some of you said the characterization was very well done, but the overly hyper-flash style of animation got on my nerves.

Gigaton on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Furu wrote:
    Oh god.

Tonight's episode.

The Hulk.

So awesome.

I nearly crapped my pants when he yelled "HULK IS STRONGEST THERE IS!"

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I have to find this somewhere.

august on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I don't think anything is going to happen with this in terms of building strong characters, and a full continuity. However, I still wonder how long it'll last.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Yea, great episode tonight, the Hulk came out bad ass. Johnny drives me nuts though, I realize he's an obnoxious jackass, but is he really THAT much of an obnoxious jackass? Also I realize it's an animated show so they are probably saving money by doing this, but why do they just hang out in their FF outfits?

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2006
    kdrudy wrote:
    Yea, great episode tonight, the Hulk came out bad ass. Johnny drives me nuts though, I realize he's an obnoxious jackass, but is he really THAT much of an obnoxious jackass? Also I realize it's an animated show so they are probably saving money by doing this, but why do they just hang out in their FF outfits?

They pretty much do that all the time in the comics too.

When your identities are public, you can get away with shit like that.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    It's like Hugh Hefner and his pajamas. Now if his pimptitude was secret, he'd only wear it in private.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    so... was that S.H.I.E.L.D. or MISCELLANEOUS Governmental Organization #1

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    jarednielsonjarednielson Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I figures it was shield, I really like how they made Hulk glow green. Nice touch.
    also, "this is a white zone! No kidnapping giant green monsters in a white zone!"
    I'm liking this show alot.

jarednielson on
    1fdd6q1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I doubt it was S.H.I.E.L.D. More likely it was random war profiteers.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    SHIELD would probably know better than to try and capture the Hulk in the first place.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Yea, Fury wouldn't pull something like that - and SHIELD is an official agency. They wouldn't have been arrested afterwards if it was a SHIELD op.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Wonder when they'll go to the microverse.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Wait, Hulk was in the last epsiode?

Ah man. I gotta watch this more.

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    He probed me.

The biggest problem with this show is the fact that the villains just haven't been that compelling or, for that matter, threatening. It's all pretty funny though, at least.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Show of hands- who didn't see the twist coming, or rather, who misread what it was going to be? I mean, the whole "Skrulls in the Baxter Building" didn't throw me, but

[realspoiler:2e5d7ef840]that they were actually on the Skrull ship in space[/realspoiler:2e5d7ef840]

certainly did. All the delightful little interactions were also amusing, with their various quirks. HERBIE speaking in Spanish, and Reed speaking Spanish back was the highlight for me.

Also, is there precedent for [realspoiler:2e5d7ef840]The Kree and the Skrulls working together?[/realspoiler:2e5d7ef840]

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I think they should make a cartoon that every episode highlights a different superhero, or group.

jarednielson on
    1fdd6q1.jpg
  • Options
    TankTank Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Looks like we'll be seeing the Super Skrull soon.

Tank on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Was that green guy at the end of the episode Ronan the accuser?
    Sure looked like him.

jarednielson on
    1fdd6q1.jpg
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Yeah, that looked like Ronan. It made NO sense.

It was a fun episode, though.

The Hulk episode, though, was rad. Definitely SHIELD, though. They even had the emblem on their uniforms, I thought.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    "Rockman made fun of Hulk's momma!"

Hahahahah

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Yeah, that looked like Ronan. It made NO sense.

It was a fun episode, though.

The Hulk episode, though, was rad. Definitely SHIELD, though. They even had the emblem on their uniforms, I thought.
    It couldn't have been SHIELD. SHIELD agents would not have been arrested by US troops and led away in handcuffs.

Plus, Nick Fury would not be stupid enough to even try to capture the Hulk, let alone attempt to weaponize him.

Harrier on
  • Options
    Software PirateSoftware Pirate Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Sweet zombie Jesus, this cartoon is unspeakably hideous. Vague anime stylings (actually animated by the same French studio that does garbage like Totally Spies), little sense of continuity or devotion to the mythos, and can someone please tell me why the hell the Thing has a big 4 spraypainted on his chest? When I first saw it, I thought Johnny pulled some sort of prank on him, which would have been at least somewhat true to the story. But that's his costume?

Anyway...
    -The terrible more-white-than-blue costumes that make them look like Power Rangers
    -Susan Storm is a bitchy teenage girl
    -Johnny Storm isn't so much "playful trickster" as "gigantic asshole with ADHD"
    -Doctor Doom is a giant, obsessive douchebag with no "grand scheme"
    -[spoiler:a9d936be66]The Kree and Skrulls working together?[/spoiler:a9d936be66] That's just blasphemy

To this day, I stand by the idea that the best take on the Fantastic Four is the Impossible family from Venture Brothers. But in fairness, Stephen Colbert makes it quadruple-awesome.[/list][/i]

Software Pirate on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Sweet zombie Jesus, this cartoon is unspeakably hideous. Vague anime stylings (actually animated by the same French studio that does garbage like Totally Spies), little sense of continuity or devotion to the mythos, and can someone please tell me why the hell the Thing has a big 4 spraypainted on his chest? When I first saw it, I thought Johnny pulled some sort of prank on him, which would have been at least somewhat true to the story. But that's his costume?

Anyway...
    -The terrible more-white-than-blue costumes that make them look like Power Rangers
    -Susan Storm is a bitchy teenage girl
    -Johnny Storm isn't so much "playful trickster" as "gigantic asshole with ADHD"
    -Doctor Doom is a giant, obsessive douchebag with no "grand scheme"
    -[spoiler:a88dfb79de]The Kree and Skrulls working together?[/spoiler:a88dfb79de] That's just blasphemy

To this day, I stand by the idea that the best take on the Fantastic Four is the Impossible family from Venture Brothers. But in fairness, Stephen Colbert makes it quadruple-awesome.[/list][/i]

A) Way to lurk.
    B) We don't know anything about the [spoiler:a88dfb79de] Skree/Krull alliance, if there even is one. [/spoiler:a88dfb79de]
    C) Doom's grand plan is to fuck over Reed as much as possible. It doesn't get much closer to the truth of their relationship then that.
    D) Their costumes are not the best, however it isn't nearly as bad as you seem to think it is.
    E) Johnny is not an adorable little elf, some kind of good Loki... he's kind of an asshole. The cartoon also gets that right.
    F) Thanks for playing.

Edit: Although, I do agree that the Impossible Family is completely awesome. So... good job there.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Johnny permanently scarred a guy and ruined his chance to compete in the Olympics as a kid, and it was kind of on purpose. He's a better person now, of course, but still an asshole.

And the Power Rangers reference is a bit weird, on your part.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    A) Way to lurk.
    B) We don't know anything about the
    Spoiler:
    Skree/Krull alliance, if there even is one.

C) Doom's grand plan is to fuck over Reed as much as possible. It doesn't get much closer to the truth of their relationship then that.
    D) Their costumes are not the best, however it isn't nearly as bad as you seem to think it is.
    E) Johnny is not an adorable little elf, some kind of good Loki... he's kind of an asshole. The cartoon also gets that right.

A) Huh?
    B) At the end of the last episode (sigh, I'm still watching them), [spoiler:dc650a7579]Ronin the Accuser appeared on a communicator and talked to the Skrulls[/spoiler:dc650a7579]
    C) Doom's always been pro-Reed-fuckery, but he's had other interests! A good Doctor Doom can have grand machinations of world domination and still devise ways to torture his sworn foe. The cartoon's Doom is more, "Must humiliate Richards! Can do something actually sinister later!"
    D) They're bad. They look like giant bottles of mouthwash. Even the Ultimate Fantastic Four costumes looked less dumb.
    E) Johnny can be an asshole, but he's mellowed out a whole lot, and he was never quite as much of a psychotic ADHD freak as he is in the cartoon. And if he's not a little elf, then explain his fucking hair.[/quote]

Software Pirate on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    And the Power Rangers reference is a bit weird, on your part.

Well, I can't always be clever. Or consistently. Or often.

Would it make you feel better if I said the FF's costumes look more like great big bottles of Crest ProCare mouthwash?

B000BS6VWC.01-A12IO5KBJD6301._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Software Pirate on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    It's not a matter of being clever. It's just that the Power Rangers, from what I remember, didn't have mostly white costumes. If they did, they'd all be White Rangers.

And I think Ronan is going to betray the Skrulls, perhaps kick-starting the Kree/Skrull War. I mean, why would he give them access to Super-Skrulls just for simple revenge?

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    A) Way to lurk.
    B) We don't know anything about the
    Spoiler:
    Skree/Krull alliance, if there even is one.

A) Huh?
    B) At the end of the last episode (sigh, I'm still watching them), [spoiler:0dcda88ebb]Ronin the Accuser appeared on a communicator and talked to the Skrulls[/spoiler:0dcda88ebb]
    C) Doom's always been pro-Reed-fuckery, but he's had other interests! A good Doctor Doom can have grand machinations of world domination and still devise ways to torture his sworn foe. The cartoon's Doom is more, "Must humiliate Richards! Can do something actually sinister later!"
    D) They're bad. They look like giant bottles of mouthwash. Even the Ultimate Fantastic Four costumes looked less dumb.
    E) Johnny can be an asshole, but he's mellowed out a whole lot, and he was never quite as much of a psychotic ADHD freak as he is in the cartoon. And if he's not a little elf, then explain his fucking hair.

Yes, because lord knows attempting to suck all of New York into the negative zone couldn't possibly be called sinister. Perhaps that plan was more, happy-go-lucky, or maybe even whimsical. Regardless, he does evil shit, but Reed is always at the heart of it. And hell, he's only been in two episodes of the damn show.

Also, all we saw at the end of the last episode was [spoiler:0dcda88ebb] Ronin.[/spoiler:0dcda88ebb] it wasn't the entire Kree nation or anything like that. How about waiting to see how it plays out before dismissing it.

Fine, I will conceed the point about the costumes not being the best, along with Johnny's hair. However, this is the same studio that did Code Lyoko... I would say they've improved beyond all measure.

Honestly, this cartoon has a lot of potential. It's the first one I've seen that didn't start with an origin story, nor wait 2 years before introducing alien races such as the Kree and the Skrulls. I do admit it has some issues, but it isn't the cess pool of molten crap you seem to think it is.

Also, with regards to lurking... http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=183706
    read the "What to Do" section of that thread.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I just think the animation is kinda cruddy.

Also, I don't see how not starting with an origin story makes it a better cartoon.

I've only watched a couple episodes, mainly because...I just really don't care to look at it. I...I really really don't like the animation.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Jordyn wrote:
    I just think the animation is kinda cruddy.

Also, I don't see how not starting with an origin story makes it a better cartoon.

I've only watched a couple episodes, mainly because...I just really don't care to look at it. I...I really really don't like the animation.

Well, for me, the simple fact is, I can't sit through another Spider-Man origin story... or the Hulk or anyone elses, for that matter. It's just nice that they get into the stories.

Again, the animation is a matter of choice, and I can totally see that side of it. I just don't necessarily think that the animation automatically makes it a bad show.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    It's like every single scene is a bright white room. I think it actually HURTS me to watch it.

And they wouldn't have to do an origin for every guest star. I mean we didn't see origins for most of the people that showed up on Justice League, but I do think it's important to cover the origins of the main characters a little bit. Jumping right into stories is cool and all, but...it sorta makes things happen out of context, so to speak.

Oh, and are Sue and Reed married in the show? They are all kinds of married in the comics, but I swear everytime there's a different adaptation, they just dance around the issue.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I still hate FF, but I can concede that I might be being unfair.

I'm still bitter about not seeing any more Diniverse toons lately. I want JLU! Batman Beyond! Batman:TAS! Dammit, something! No more of this anime crap!

Software Pirate on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I don't recall JL ever giving anyone any sort of origin story beyond how the team came together...

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I still hate FF, but I can concede that I might be being unfair.

I'm still bitter about not seeing any more Diniverse toons lately. I want JLU! Batman Beyond! Batman:TAS! Dammit, something! No more of this anime crap!

Yeah... and I admit I might be clinging too hard to wanting FF to be good, rather then it actually being very good. The sad fact is, I want JLU, Batman Beyond, and BTAS back also... those were just damn good. I want the Marvel equivalent of those... like the 90's X-Men cartoons, or even X-Men: Evolution, or the 90's Spider-Man... god... why is it so hard to make a decent comic book cartoon? They practically write themselves!

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I'd be totally behind a Doom Patrol cartoon on Adult Swim. There aren't enough drug-filled existentialist metaphors in animation these days.

Software Pirate on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I'd be totally behind a Doom Patrol cartoon on Adult Swim. There aren't enough drug-filled existentialist metaphors in animation these days.
    Would it feature a more impressive Doom Patrol than appeared in the 5th Season of Teen Titans?

Because seriously, they were weak as fuck. So was the Brotherhood of Evil. You could almost hear Slade cackling at their villainous impotence.

Harrier on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I don't recall JL ever giving anyone any sort of origin story beyond how the team came together...

Well, Supes and Bats were already covered, J'onn and Wonder Woman get covered in Secret Origins, and Hawkgirl is pretty well wrapped up in Starcrossed. We get a brief glimpse of Flash's in Brave and the Bold.

You get a lot more villian origins than heroes, though, that's for sure.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg