As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Plants vs Zombies] Garden Warfare 2 out now! Time for some online plant murder!

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    This is basically a filler until Titanfall comes out. This is a great game though for sure.

As for microtransaction, I would just look for them to let you buy the packs. Nothing else needs to be monetized. Why would they let you buy individual characters and items when they can make you buy the packs? You might eventually get the stuff you want, but it will cost you a little extra.

Either way, I am all for extra costumes, characters, and all that.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I am wondering if the PC version will be better. I really don't like X-Box live gold.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    For those of you fortunate to have this, can one of you explain how the in-game currency and unlock process works?

• Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    This looks fun. If it weren't 30 bucks I'd buy it. At 15, maybe. At 10, definitely.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    For those of you fortunate to have this, can one of you explain how the in-game currency and unlock process works?
    instead of earning XP every action earns you coins. if you do well in a game you can earn about 5000-10000 a a match, but usually you'll get closer 2000. there are different packs to buy at various prices. cheaper packs give you consumables like AI zombies you can spawn in or plant turrets you can setup. more expensive packs yield rare customization items. the most expensive pack is 40,000 coins but it guarantees one rare character skin.

10,000 coins? You must be an all-star, because even when I come in first on either team, I get MAYBE 2,000-3,000. If you play gardens and graveyards mode, you get maybe 5,000-6,000.

Basically, you are gonna play the game and save up for the 20,000 pack.

bYf6vNQ.png
    I had a match yesterday as my Tank Commando zombie where I went 33-8. I think I got 12,000 coins that game. to be fair I always play Gardens & Graveyards and those matches can go on a while if two good teams are playing.

• TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    10,000 coins? You must be an all-star, because even when I come in first on either team, I get MAYBE 2,000-3,000. If you play gardens and graveyards mode, you get maybe 5,000-6,000.

After playing titanfall with HJay, and playing BF4 with AhiMahi, I've learned that people from the PA are sometimes good. Follow them around on maps, and you also do good :)

I had a match yesterday as my Tank Commando zombie where I went 33-8. I think I got 12,000 coins that game. to be fair I always play Gardens & Graveyards and those matches can go on a while if two good teams are playing.

Oh yea. I can see that. I have yet to see it myself because people would rather get kills than stand in the capture zone to prevent the zombies from getting the garden....
    Tommatt wrote: »

After playing titanfall with HJay, and playing BF4 with AhiMahi, I've learned that people from the PA are sometimes good. Follow them around on maps, and you also do good :)

If anything, it is just VERY helpful/useful to play with people that aren't complete morons. I don't know how many times I get walked over and not revived. Very frustrating.

bYf6vNQ.png
    edited March 2014
    coordination helps a ton for sure. you can't just blindly rush in as zombies, and as plants you have to be diligently placing defenses and hanging back. I have had some abysmal matches too, that ended with me getting less than a thousand because teammates could not focus on the objective.

on the zombie side I prefer solider and engineer, since they deal a good amount of damage but can also do it from afar. on plants I stick to cactus since he is the most versatile (long range, good defense weapons, garlic drone with airstrikes).

if you guys have this on XB1 add me!

Local H Jay on

Oh yea. I can see that. I have yet to see it myself because people would rather get kills than stand in the capture zone to prevent the zombies from getting the garden....

If anything, it is just VERY helpful/useful to play with people that aren't complete morons. I don't know how many times I get walked over and not revived. Very frustrating.

Ya, it's definately helped my scores in games with them and carried over to solo play. Like in BF4, playing with Ahi I'd actually get good scores instead of my normal 4 - 17 type shit. I've been doing good playing with my other friends lately, even going 40-24 in a round on operation locker last night.

Same thing in Titanfall. I played a few matches with HJay, saw how he would go beast mode in the titans, and adopted some of the play I had learned playing with him. My scores just seemed to get better.

I don't know why I don't play more games with guys from the PA, some of my best online experiences have been from people from here. Except that one night I iced the puck and cost a championship with 12 seconds left.....

edited March 2014

Ya, it's definately helped my scores in games with them and carried over to solo play. Like in BF4, playing with Ahi I'd actually get good scores instead of my normal 4 - 17 type shit. I've been doing good playing with my other friends lately, even going 40-24 in a round on operation locker last night.

Same thing in Titanfall. I played a few matches with HJay, saw how he would go beast mode in the titans, and adopted some of the play I had learned playing with him. My scores just seemed to get better.

I don't know why I don't play more games with guys from the PA, some of my best online experiences have been from people from here. Except that one night I iced the puck and cost a championship with 12 seconds left.....

Not to get off topic, but I view Titanfall completely different than PvZ. I feel in Titanfall I can carry a team (or me and a friend) for the most part (as long as they aren't complete imbeciles). In PvZ, you either have teammates that know how to play (revive your teammates) or you lose horribly (at least your team will. You can still do well.).

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • pawa24pawa24 Registered User regular
    Anyone else notice the engineers plumbers crack? It was disturbing and hilarious the first time I played as him.

That is the main reason I pick him!

bYf6vNQ.png
  • AgentMayhemAgentMayhem Registered User regular

Why is this? Why not the 40k pack? Also, don't you run out of plant towers or other consumables after a while? Sorry if these are simple questions, I just started playing.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

There used to be(well, I'm sure there still is but I don't play CoD on the 360 anymore) a badass group of dudes who played all the CoD games on the 360. We had the occasional bad game, but there was an awful lot of pub stomping to be had. It got to the point where we had to remove our [WZRD] clan tags in lobbies so people wouldn't immediately leave. There was always at least one person equipped to shoot down choppers and other killstreaks. To the point where you had to call dibs when the enemy called in something. What's that? Enemy preditor missile? How about 9 EMPS fired off at once! Ah, good times. So yeah, always play online shootan games with PA peoples if you can.

Also, this game sounds like a lot of charming fun. Can't wait til it drops on PS4!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • puffycowpuffycow Registered User regular
    edited March 2014

Why is this? Why not the 40k pack? Also, don't you run out of plant towers or other consumables after a while? Sorry if these are simple questions, I just started playing.

Without doing any math to verify this... 20k seems to be a good balance between time and getting good stuff.

EDIT:

According to Reddit:

"40k pack unlocks a new class variant. 20k packs give weapon upgrades for class variants (seem minor), and will work towards unlocking class variants slowly."

I might have to start saving up..

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I've been buying mostly the 20k pack and maybe the 10k pack if I'm really low on consumables. I've unlocked both General Supremo and the Painter Engineer with those (got Ice Cactus as my freebie). Getting close to unlocking the Hotrod zombie and a few of the sunflower variants. But doing this has also gotten numerous weapon mods for numerous characters.

Also so far it looks like you can't unlock any mods for classes you haven't unlocked so this is a good way to power up your existing guys while you unlock the next one. I suppose if you had all the mods for every gun you have unlocked then maybe the 40k pack would be good to get the next one ready to unlock.

I stick to saving for the 40k skin packs. the alt skins are worth it since each one has a better weapon than just the base character. so far I have a Tank Commander Solider, Plumber Engineer, Flame Chomper, and Future Cactus. I use them every single game.

edited March 2014
    I have the flame chomper and astronaut scientist.

Played a few One matches tonight. Did not go so well (mainly because of teammates being dumb and I was only trying for my character objectives).

edit: STEAMING!

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    I only have Power Flower and Electrician Engineer. I need more packs.

• evilive72evilive72 TexasRegistered User regular
    All I have are Power Chomper and Astronaut.

Nintendo Network ID: Strummer72
    XBL Gamertag: evilive7
    Playstation ID: evilive7
    3DS: 4699-7349-0534
    Just read the comic from a few days ago after a particularly painful loss in Gardens and Graveyards, and it was totally describing me. I immediately laughed at how retardedly mad I got.
    However I think I was also justified. 16 kills as a chomper while the next highest on my team had 5. The zombies literally just marched over us even with me eating them left and right. Then at the end they had to get 5 of them through the door and they bum rushed it with me gooping and eating like 3 at a time while gooping and spike trapping the shit out of them.

If you check out my last stream broadcast, the very last match was a G&G mode. Team was HORRIBLE and we somehow survived the house section and kept them out (was me and 3 friends plus randoms). We didn't deserve to win at all (well, I did. I played like a champ.).

bYf6vNQ.png
  • puffycowpuffycow Registered User regular
    Hey! You and I both played like champs. You were a Grumpy Champ ;).

Also, he wasn't lying. Our team was butt ugly. I need some more upgrades.

FrankForum-1.jpg
    I'm pretty sure that was the game where you and I went into the hot tub and gave up part way through. Haha.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    The exact moment you realize you are the only engineer on your team

17kdjxvdqvygyjpg.jpg

• RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I've unlocked the toxic peashooter and the mechanic.
    I want a new chomper. :(

• AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    I buy the 20k packs specifically for the weapon upgrades. I have an All-Star who can now shoot a hail of footballs for like 20minutes straight without over heating. Plus you eventually unlock new characters this way. Out of nine cards in the 20k deck you get two weapon upgrades and two stickers for a class unlock every time. The five remaining stickers are customization and consumables. I bought one 40k pack but really didn't think it was worth it, sure you would unlock all the variants faster but no consumables and no weapon upgrades is a big hit in the long run.

I am all about customizing my guy's look. I figure the 20k gets me customization parts and unlocks characters over time.

bYf6vNQ.png
    I like the 20k packs but I want a variant skin for Peashooter and All-Star still. I have a skin for every other class.

The more I see of this game the more sure I am I'm going to pick it up when I'm ready for a Titanfall break.

You should buy it instead of Titanfall.

Rizzi wrote: »
    You should buy it instead of Titanfall.

Stop dat.

Also, Local, you are a beast and it is nice to see how others play compared to myself.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Welcome Mat seems to be handing out 2k coins per completion so get your cash on. Don't remember there being any news about a super coin weekend or what have you but this is pretty nice compared to the 750 you used to get. Fast matches and makes grinding out the 20k packs much faster. :D

I think they increased the amount of coins you get for everything in the maintenance.

uh yeah... just had a match on GnG where I went 37-8 as a plumber, and landed 17, 000 coins with the perfect win bonus and everything. I built every teleporter in the game and outscored a dude with 45 kills.

edited March 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96KHwTiaqWY&feature=youtu.be

Finally got the ZPG double kill. I had so many near misses it was nice to finally unlock it

Psychotic One on
    Some of the challenges are devious.