As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Agents of Shield] Cyber crime just got a whole lot deadlier!

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Of course, without any survivors of the destruction whatever team is sent to investigate is going to have some very intense questions for Coulson and Co.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Thinking logically (which is always dangerous for a tv show), the NNG can't be both weak enough to penetrate the skin but not the bone beneath it, and strong enough to get through helmets or body armour. If you know you're going up against people prepared for you and ready for combat, it wouldn't be a viable choice.

I'm sure they'll prove me wrong eventually, but have we seen the NNG used on anyone wearing serious protection? One of those grenades might have done the trick, but they don't have any.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    You guys are waaaaay overthinking the Guest House thing.
    Guest House. It Housed an Alien. He's a Guest. On Earth!

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    What Guest House shoulda meant:
    Hugh Laurie guest star.
    As an alien.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Thinking logically (which is always dangerous for a tv show), the NNG can't be both weak enough to penetrate the skin but not the bone beneath it, and strong enough to get through helmets or body armour. If you know you're going up against people prepared for you and ready for combat, it wouldn't be a viable choice.

I'm sure they'll prove me wrong eventually, but have we seen the NNG used on anyone wearing serious protection? One of those grenades might have done the trick, but they don't have any.

In all the cases they've used the NNG, they've had to land rounds on soft-tissue as well. I'd say it's not an option if you don't know your foes - which yeah, would be why someone would develop those grenades.

Totally not what GH means:
    Galactus Herald.
    Which it totally can't be, unless Galactus isn't still in Fox's FF license package.
    I wonder what degree of character licensing is included in that, since there's the Ultimate version, Gah Lac Tus. Aside from destroying planets, it's not too similar to the traditional Galactus (although the space cloud in the movie was probably closer to that than the original).

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    You guys are waaaaay overthinking the Guest House thing.
    Guest House. It Housed an Alien. He's a Guest. On Earth!

is
    he an alien? If Kree, sure. Atlantean, not so much.

I'm happy if the capsule itself is the "guest house", and that's all there is to it.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Just watched it last night, and I am surprised some of you had issues with them using real guns.

They were going into an unknown non-Shield facility.
    They were being shot at by machine guns.
    Coulson gave them a warning that they would defend themselves.
    They continued to get shot at.
    Lethal force made perfect sense in that situation.

In fact, Coulson is such an awesome, stand up guy, that he wanted to try and save one of the guys that was trying to kill them just moments before.

Fantastic episode all around.

Also, the twist at the end:
    Man that was disturbing and horrific. And yes, I'm thinking it's a Kree. Also Lorelei, yay!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    I'm more or less on board with what Coulson did, given that they wouldn't entertain any kind of dialogue with him.
    I don't have a lot of respect for the whole mentality of 'obey standing orders no matter what'. I know organisations are built around expecting orders to be followed, but removing peoples agency to think for themselves just doesn't agree with me.

It's not like he stormed the place without warning, (he introduced himself, and outright said that absent any other information, they'd go in and defend themselves if attacked) and a conversation would probably have talked him down.
    Maybe not with the guards, but Fury had to know what they were doing by then, if he'd called Coulson and explicitly told him not to go in there, he probably would have listened.

Overall, I'd say the standard SHIELD policy of secrets with secrets is starting to hurt them more and more. Stark didn't trust them before The Avengers, Cap got his faith in the system knocked at the same time (and is probably going to get worse with the next movie), and Coulson's more or less had it with this sh*t.

I can see the show turning into Rogue Agents of SHIELD in a year or two.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Rogue is also tied up with the X-men rights :P

steam_sig.png
    Spoit wrote: »
    Rogue is also tied up with the X-men rights :P

Fozzie_Bear.jpg

Wakka Wakka!

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Those guys looked to be wearing flak vests or something. I'm not sure the NNG was a viable choice compared to an assault rifle with FMJ. Clock is ticking, boys and girls.

Fitz could probably come up with a night night gun that can penetrate body armor as well, but that would have its own problems.
    "Ward, what happened?"
    "The target leaned forward, so I shot him in the head rather than the chest."
    "Okay, so that means the armor piercing round would have lost velocity and delivered the knockout drug about three inches inside the targets cerebellum. Weren't we supposed to interrogate them?"
    "...Say, do we have any of that GH stuff left?"

Shadowhope wrote: »
    What Guest House shoulda meant:
    Hugh Laurie guest star.
    As an alien.

nested spoilers don't currently work.

not sure why.

Also, I loooved Melinda in this one. It's the first time we've seen her open up some.

Watching her wail on Quinn out of anger and grief was cheer worthy.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I'm more or less on board with what Coulson did, given that they wouldn't entertain any kind of dialogue with him.
    I don't have a lot of respect for the whole mentality of 'obey standing orders no matter what'. I know organisations are built around expecting orders to be followed, but removing peoples agency to think for themselves just doesn't agree with me.

It's not like he stormed the place without warning, (he introduced himself, and outright said that absent any other information, they'd go in and defend themselves if attacked) and a conversation would probably have talked him down.
    Maybe not with the guards, but Fury had to know what they were doing by then, if he'd called Coulson and explicitly told him not to go in there, he probably would have listened.

Well, imagine they had tried this with the US military. Walk up to a military base with high-security clearance required for entry and tell them, "Hey, we're going to enter your base now because we think you have a secret serum that will help our friend. If you attack, we'll defend ourselves." What you're saying is, "We're going in there whether you want us to or not, and we'll shoot you if you try to stop us." The fact that you tell them ahead of time that you'll shoot them to get what you want does not suddenly make you the good guy when you kill them all.

(Though again, I'm comfortable with what they did for purposes of TV logic.)

Also, I'm totally betting on
    the big blue dude being Kree, based on what I've read about them.
    It makes the most sense, barring it being something completely made-up.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    About Skye and the twist...
    I'm completely in the camp that thinks it was a Kree body and that Skye is going to be either Kree or part Kree, so the serum will have kickstarted latent abilities she has.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    After the last episode...
    I had been hoping from the get go that they would be layering in more and more cominc/MCU continuity and world building as the series goes on. Its starting to seem like the early episodes may have been serving as primers for the general public to get used to some ideas. Oh here is some random Asgardian, here is a couple generic alien artifact that ties into Avengers (remember that?) now were getting Lorelei and potentially a Kree right on the heels of introducing Deathlock. Mind you its not exactly top tier material but its starting to feel more and more a part of the greater universe.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Well, imagine they had tried this with the US military. Walk up to a military base with high-security clearance required for entry and tell them, "Hey, we're going to enter your base now because we think you have a secret serum that will help our friend. If you attack, we'll defend ourselves." What you're saying is, "We're going in there whether you want us to or not, and we'll shoot you if you try to stop us." The fact that you tell them ahead of time that you'll shoot them to get what you want does not suddenly make you the good guy when you kill them all.

"On the other hand, if you first acknowledge us in any way whatsoever, we can try to work out what to do then."

In a real-life scenario, the military dudes might give an official warning, like "You do not have authorized clearance to enter this facility, and we will have to respond with lethal force if you attempt to enter." (Or they might have been under orders to not engage verbally with guys trying to force entry, just use force to prevent them from getting in. IANA secret facility guard.) The upshot would still probably be the same. Omitting such a warning made Coulson and Co. more ostensibly sympathetic when they killed them all, but doesn't really change the moral dynamics.

It is, of course, possible that the base was run by Bad Guys and the soldiers deserved to die.
    Though my money is on the base being just an off-the-books SHIELD facility doing some particularly heinous things, and gets rolled into the justification for Coulson's team and Fury eventually going rogue.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    (Or they might have been under orders to not engage verbally with guys trying to force entry, just use force to prevent them from getting in. IANA secret facility guard.)

I don't know. You seem to know a lot about it and also "IANA secret facility guard" is exactly the kind of thing a secret facility guard would say to throw us off the trail.

I'm watching you, Mr. secret facility guard.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I hope in an upcoming episode they have someone going through a coded doorway.

Guard: "How was the journey from Istanbul?"
    Victoria Hand: "It's a magical place."
    Guard: "Entry approved."

• ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Those guys looked to be wearing flak vests or something. I'm not sure the NNG was a viable choice compared to an assault rifle with FMJ. Clock is ticking, boys and girls.

I was JUST thinking about that...

We've talked about how awesome the NNG is, but look at the shots when it misses: it basically looks like a paintball splatter.

I have to think that, unless the target is wearing relatively thin clothing or you can reliably hit skin, its not going to be remotely useful. Its a great tool to have, but if your target has body armor, full SWAT gear, or even if you're fighting in a cold climate against people dressed appropriately... it might as well fire spit wads.

While a non-lethal alternative to a firearm is an absolutely fantastic idea, make no mistake: the NNG isn't as effective. It's an effective weapon still and it will lower the need for unnecessary violence, but there are going to be times when it simply won't be as effective as more potentially lethal means (aka, a real gun). Not only that, but trying to rely on it exclusively could be detrimental to the user and those he or she is trying to protect. This was one of those cases: they go in against two heavily armed men with adequately thick clothing armed only with NNGs and they're taking an unnecessary risk to themselves and Skye.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    About Skye and the twist...
    I'm completely in the camp that thinks it was a Kree body and that Skye is going to be either Kree or part Kree, so the serum will have kickstarted latent abilities she has.

A reminder
    Inhumans are humans that have been genetically altered by the Kree. ;)

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I abandoned one of the theories when I realized
    the blue dude had regular ears.

Pointy ears means Atlantian.

No pointy ears? No Atlantian!

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    To be fair those orders were lawful. Quinn had no business being on that plane once orders came through. Coulson heavily implied Quinn was going to leave in a body bag had Skye died. He cheekily explained he wasn't going to do it once she was saved - but had events not played out the way wanted Quinn's life probably had outlived its expiry date.

Overall, I'd say the standard SHIELD policy of secrets with secrets is starting to hurt them more and more. Stark didn't trust them before The Avengers, Cap got his faith in the system knocked at the same time (and is probably going to get worse with the next movie), and Coulson's more or less had it with this sh*t.

I can see the show turning into Rogue Agents of SHIELD in a year or two.

Agreed.
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I abandoned one of the theories when I realized
    the blue dude had regular ears.

Pointy ears means Atlantian.

No pointy ears? No Atlantian!
    We don't have any reference for MCU Atlanteans to confirm or deny that.

Harry Dresden on
    Other possible explanations for the end of the last episode
    the creature may not come from a traditionally blue race like the Yotuns, Kree, Atlanteans or Luphamoids. (nebula's race) Both the Inhumans and Eternals could have a random blue member. Or it could be a unique being.

• ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Other possible explanations for the end of the last episode
    the creature may not come from a traditionally blue race like the Yotuns, Kree, Atlanteans or Luphamoids. (nebula's race) Both the Inhumans and Eternals could have a random blue member. Or it could be a unique being.

Or maybe...
    We were the blue beings all along.

Comradebot on
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Or maybe it just looks blue from the lighting, that it was originally a different color.
    It's Red Skull's recovered corpse, Skye and Coulson are super soldiers now!
    Well, maybe not.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

"On the other hand, if you first acknowledge us in any way whatsoever, we can try to work out what to do then."

Generally speaking, if you're on sentry duty, the general rule is "No one passes here without proper clearance." Not "No one passes here without proper clearance or if they can give you a really convincing story."

And it's not like it's even a regular military base that happens to have a hospital on it. They were on a secluded island. Guarding something they very possibly had little to no understanding of what any of beyond it being extremely valuable. And strangers have appeared saying they have a medical emergency and totes need in and super promise not to attack anyone.

Frankly the only dumb part was that there were only two guards. Way to skimp on even bare minimum security practices, evil doers.

Comradebot wrote: »

I was JUST thinking about that...

We've talked about how awesome the NNG is, but look at the shots when it misses: it basically looks like a paintball splatter.

I have to think that, unless the target is wearing relatively thin clothing or you can reliably hit skin, its not going to be remotely useful. Its a great tool to have, but if your target has body armor, full SWAT gear, or even if you're fighting in a cold climate against people dressed appropriately... it might as well fire spit wads.

While a non-lethal alternative to a firearm is an absolutely fantastic idea, make no mistake: the NNG isn't as effective. It's an effective weapon still and it will lower the need for unnecessary violence, but there are going to be times when it simply won't be as effective as more potentially lethal means (aka, a real gun). Not only that, but trying to rely on it exclusively could be detrimental to the user and those he or she is trying to protect. This was one of those cases: they go in against two heavily armed men with adequately thick clothing armed only with NNGs and they're taking an unnecessary risk to themselves and Skye.

I am happy with this interpretation and will go with it until I have reason to do otherwise.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Generally speaking, if you're on sentry duty, the general rule is "No one passes here without proper clearance." Not "No one passes here without proper clearance or if they can give you a really convincing story."

And it's not like it's even a regular military base that happens to have a hospital on it. They were on a secluded island. Guarding something they very possibly had little to no understanding of what any of beyond it being extremely valuable. And strangers have appeared saying they have a medical emergency and totes need in and super promise not to attack anyone.

Frankly the only dumb part was that there were only two guards. Way to skimp on even bare minimum security practices, evil doers.
    TAHITI spoilers:
    The place was rigged to blow. Clearly the bad guys put more value in denying access to whatever assets were there rather than keeping them for themselves.

Which makes me think that whatever was in that tube, there is some sort of binding agreement that we would not have it. Making destroying it instead of letting its existence be uncovered the only reasonable defense.

jdarksun: the issue I have with that statement is
    You call those dudes "Bad guys" when the show gave us ZERO reason to think that (they probably were badguys since, you know, it's a TV show, but that's besides the point.) They were two security guards told to guard a place that was apparently private property, and Coulson and team showed up with ZERO legal authority to take the property they were told to guard. When denied entrance the invading force BLEW their way in.

Honestly, between that and the repeated insistence that people who cross SHIELD are denied rights is REALLY starting to bug me. Do the creators really think this it the proper global atmosphere to be going hog wild with an overreaching government agency?

You call those dudes "Bad guys" when the show gave us ZERO reason to think that (they probably were badguys since, you know, it's a TV show, but that's besides the point.) They were two security guards told to guard a place that was apparently private property, and Coulson and team showed up with ZERO legal authority to take the property they were told to guard. When denied entrance the invading force BLEW their way in.

Honestly, between that and the repeated insistence that people who cross SHIELD are denied rights is REALLY starting to bug me. Do the creators really think this it the proper global atmosphere to be going hog wild with an overreaching government agency?
    Personally...
    When I say "bad guy", I don't mean bad guy, I mean opposing force. Coulson wanted a thing, and was willing to do ethically questionable stuff to get the thing. (Until he found out that thing was distilled from an 084 in a tube.) He was also (maybe) willing to murder a dude in cold blood (Quinn).

The point of all that stuff is to put us in a morally gray area. Is it OK to blast your way into a secure facility if someone's life is on the line? Is it OK to kill in revenge?

Same with the "denied rights" thing, but that's a uniquely western/american perspective.

And, uh, yeah. Look at the global unrest the citizenry has with oppressive regimes. Venezuela, Turkey, Egypt, Ukraine. Not to mention unrest with government agencies. It's probably a good time to be releasing something like Winter Soldier.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    TAHITI SPOILER
    The humanoid in the tank could be a Kree, but if it isn't a trick of perspective, it looked a lot bigger than Coulson and Kree (from what we've seen in the Guardians of the Galaxy Trailer) are human-sized.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    jdarksun wrote: »

Personally...
    When I say "bad guy", I don't mean bad guy, I mean opposing force. Coulson wanted a thing, and was willing to do ethically questionable stuff to get the thing. (Until he found out that thing was distilled from an 084 in a tube.) He was also (maybe) willing to murder a dude in cold blood (Quinn).

The point of all that stuff is to put us in a morally gray area. Is it OK to blast your way into a secure facility if someone's life is on the line? Is it OK to kill in revenge?

Same with the "denied rights" thing, but that's a uniquely western/american perspective.

And, uh, yeah. Look at the global unrest the citizenry has with oppressive regimes. Venezuela, Turkey, Egypt, Ukraine. Not to mention unrest with government agencies. It's probably a good time to be releasing something like Winter Soldier.
    Well, I'd recommend not using "bad guy" unless you're trying to convey the people are bad. :s

And it's one thing to portray a morally grey area, but you need to actually show it being morally grey. The episode doesn't treat the situation as any different than the dozen other missions they've done. Nobody goes "Should we really be doing this?" or "Are we going too far?" Everyone is 100% on board with this illegal as hell shit. Even Paxton's character didn't seem to be too broken up over the idea that Coulson might have murdered Quinn in revenge. The most anyone even says about the dead guards is a sarcastic "Sorry, Bob!"

Winter Soldier looks to be portraying both sides of the morally grey area; this episode was pretty lopsided in that regard.

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    TAHITI SPOILER
    The humanoid in the tank could be a Kree, but if it isn't a trick of perspective, it looked a lot bigger than Coulson and Kree (from what we've seen in the Guardians of the Galaxy Trailer) are human-sized.

TAHITI, GotG spoilers
    sure most Kree are normal human size, but a few are bigger. Ronan the Accuser is traditionally depicted as being like 8-10 feet tall and quite broad as well

jdarksun wrote: »

Personally...

Well, I'd recommend not using "bad guy" unless you're trying to convey the people are bad. :s

And it's one thing to portray a morally grey area, but you need to actually show it being morally grey. The episode doesn't treat the situation as any different than the dozen other missions they've done. Nobody goes "Should we really be doing this?" or "Are we going too far?" Everyone is 100% on board with this illegal as hell shit. Even Paxton's character didn't seem to be too broken up over the idea that Coulson might have murdered Quinn in revenge. The most anyone even says about the dead guards is a sarcastic "Sorry, Bob!"

Winter Soldier looks to be portraying both sides of the morally grey area; this episode was pretty lopsided in that regard.

moar spoilarz
    Sorry dude, I was in a hurry. Didn't seem like a big deal.

I'd actually argue that you don't need to show it as morally gray, especially if you're going for a "that's what they were willing to do in the moment" sort of thing that gets addressed later. Like what if we find out a couple episodes from now that the Guest House was one of Fury's secret bunkers? And now he's really pissed at Coulson n' Crew for blowing up one of his toys - which leads to a little bit less of Fury's protection when Victoria goes to fuck with them next time?

More importantly, it gets Coulson to a point where he has to reflect on his actions. Bring in Sam J for a scene - "Did you even stop to think why I didn't put the Guest House on the grid? Those soldiers were my soldiers, Phil. Guys like you that I could trust. Or I thought I could trust."

(also i didn't think the "sorry, bob" was sarcastic)

that discussion made me go re-watch the scene were Fitz and Simmons are going through the files

this is a pretty cool shot:
    spoilers, naturally. Also, big

full memo

I think morality in AoS is presented A) pretty well, in a present-but-not-oppressive manner, and 2) in a pretty Whedony fashion, consistent with, say, Dollhouse, Angel and Firefly.

Both Skye and Coulson act as the show's moral centers, and both of them have explicitly questioned SHIELD's ethics. It's an ongoing theme, and I don't think it needs to be pointed out every single episode, just like Dollhouse didn't point out in every single episode "...and also the fact that we're using Dolls in the first place is baaaaaad."

This discussion has been closed.