As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bots API

XixXix Miami/LosAngeles/MoscowRegistered User regular
Is there an API to allow us to create our own bots that can post replies to commands on the forum? Like an OpenGeth.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Assuming there were, do really think that is something that you'd be allowed to do? Creating your own bot that auto-posted at your command, I mean?

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Xix wrote: »
    Is there an API to allow us to create our own bots that can post replies to commands on the forum? Like an OpenGeth.

Wouldn't this mean making a bunch of alt accounts for bots, and then giving us the ability to spam those bots in threads?

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Xix wrote: »

curl + json interface + a computer somewhere. It's how I do my phalla stuff

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    If you don't have a very clear reason for doing so we will absolutely shut down your account for using bots.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I would like to use one to determine the cause of a lack of community between persons no younger than 20 years of age and no older than 29 years of age.

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    Your use of "community" here is very broad. Define your terms, please.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    groups that are social

• Options
    I would like to build a bot that when called upon will summarize what has been going on in the thread using natural language processing and IBMs Watson.

• Options
    That's a no. If we wanted that, we'd code it ourselves.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Right...

What about a bot that could recommend users who should be banned, with machine learning and a training set of tons of infractable posts the bot would look through user posting histories and find users whose posting habits match the characteristics of infractable post. I'd call it Bandroid. It would help increase the quality of the forums through better policing and reduce the need for moderators.

The bot could send private messages to users behaving badly, and warn them to comply with forum policy or be banned.

Xix on
  • Options
    That's an even stronger no. I'm willing to venture that whatever ideas you have for bots are going to be a no. We have a guy who's pretty good with bots already, and if we're ever looking to expand those features we'll be asking him.

• Options
    If you're interested in experimenting with this stuff, you can and set up a free forum with Vanilla Open Source and play around to your heart's content, but you won't be doing it here.

• Options
    Problem is if I make a forum it has no userbase.

Is there a way I can create a mirror version of this forum that creates posts automatically on the other forum, like is there some kind of firehose stream that all new forum posts go through here?

And if I make some cool features and demonstrate them on the other forum, is there a chance they can be pulled into this forum?

• Options
    No and no. Sorry, it doesn't seem like you're going to get what you want from this forum, we're not interested in being used as a guinea pig while you learn to code.

geth, close the thread.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Tube. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.