As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PbP] 13th Age: Darskye-fall: Into the Wild Wood

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    @Oats
    @Auralynx‌
    Edited posts don't notify properly when you @ people

• Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    Sorry, yeah I saw that. Battling a fever and a sore throat. Last night I was so delirious I thought THE RUSSIANS were purposefully keeping me awake.

"Hey, need any help findin' anything there lad?" Proof says, running over to probably-Orram. Proof firmly plants his fat, dwarfen hand on the human's arm.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    "Ah, no. I'm... I'm fine, thank you. Just headed to the... uh... the armory." You notice that the man is definitely trying not to make eye contact with you.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    "Oh, I'll ask me friend there. Yelling: Hey chief, which way to the armoury? This gent seems to need some new armour!"

Addressing the human again, "You look new here. I am too. Name of Franzibald Densetoe, but every calls me Proof! What should I be callin' you?"

Oats on
  • Options
    "New armor? He should know where the armory i-" she was walking back to you all, but stops in her tracks. "Who... who are you?"
    The man turns around and smiles a wicked smile. Blackened teeth make the man's snarl look more menacing.
    "You know damned well who I am, I think. And you know who I work for, don't you?" His un-hindered hand holds the scroll aloft and allows it to unroll.
    Those of you who are within 5-10 feet or so immediately recognize it as a ritual scroll.
    His eyes get large and he shouts "EPILUS. EMIT. ONUM. INCENDI!"
    Everything is quiet save for the sound of the guards rushing him. Then there is a brilliant flash followed shortly by a tearing boom not unlike thunder. Well, like thunder would sound if you were in the cloud making the noise. Everyone looks around in confusion and you get two feelings one after the other. The first is of a sudden deceleration. The second is of falling.

Strength or dexterity based checks to hold onto something or right yourselves as you fall, please!
    @jdarksun‌
    @Grunt's Ghosts
    @Oats‌
    @Bss
    @Auralynx‌
    @Kilroy

• Options
    Proof is used to be thrown around, having years of experience fighting in the dwarfen arenas.

Also, oh no, Strength and Dexterity, my two (of many) weaknesses!

Geth roll 1d20+3 for falling with style.

falling with style:
    1d20+3 15 [1d20=12]

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Yancey has long-since become accustomed to just this scenario. Well, maybe with a floor in place. The lack of solid footing is definitely throwing him off.

Geth roll 1d20+4 for What thunder?

What thunder?:
    1d20+4 6 [1d20=2]

Auralynx on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Talfryn frantically casts about for something to hold onto.

Geth roll 1d20+4 for Who thought floating islands were a good idea?

Who thought floating islands were a good idea?:
    1d20+4 22 [1d20=18]

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Farkas has dealt with explosions before and rolls with the force to lessen the blow. While everyone else is laying around on their backs, the Thief is on his feet, dagger drawn.

Geth roll 1d20+5 for expert tumble.

expert tumble:
    1d20+5 25 [1d20=20]

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    Got dang, GG

• Options
    That will be the only crit I roll in this game. I'm cursed with low rolltivity.

• Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Geth roll 1d20+2+1 for Barthas holding on for dear life

Savin' the good rolls for later, that's right.

Barthas holding for dear life:
    1d20+2+1 6 [1d20=3]

bss on
    3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    Paging @Jdarksun to finish us off!

• Options
    Ifst thou canst roll before end of yon weekend, a roll shall be provided for you!

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    "Tectonic instability detected," the automaton declared as the world around them shifted. "Deploying stabilizers."

Minion, roll 1d20+10 for This is like a cave-in, only the cave is an island and the island is falling.

This is like a cave-in, only the cave is an island and the island is falling:
    1d20+10 25 [1d20=15]

jdarksun on
  • Options
    Forgive the delay if you please. Busy weekend and I'll be in a prison all day tomorrow so I won't be on until tomorrow night probably. no phones allowed on the inside etc

• Options
    I told you about summoning world ending Old Ones. Nothing good comes from it.

• Options
    I do IT work for the department of corrections. They don't know about the summoning. Not yet.

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    They do now.

Big brother is watching...

• Options
    edited March 2014
    "Get to the mines! We need to secure the prisone-" the warden's instructions are cut off as the building continues to spin end over end. She is launched out a window, hitting her head on the window frame on the way out. Most of the party manages to keep their footing or reorient themselves to absorb the impact of the tumble. Barthas and Yancey are knocked about roughly but manage to avoid the same fate as the warden.

There is another juddering impact and the building begins to crumble. The hallway falls inwards. Our intrepid heroes are nimble enough to avoid the debris. The guards are not as agile, unfortunately. There is the sound of crunching bone as the stones fall down atop them.

Talfryn and Farkas are separated from the rest of the party. The words of the warden echo in their ears. The mines. Get to the mines.

Proof, Clank, Barthas, and Yancey are running down the corridor. A guard comes towards them, eyes full of panic. A bright blue beam strikes him in the back. His mouth opens wide in an attempted scream, but no sound comes out. What does come out, however, are sharp blue crystals. The man falls face down as the crystals emerge from all over his body and adhere to the ground. It seems that Proof and Clank have been separated from the other pair by the thickening wall of crystal.

Groups are as such:
    Talfryn & Farkas
    Proof & Clank
    Barthas & Yancey

Those who did not get at least a 13, you take damages. That means Barthas and Yancey
    For the next few posts, let's do a montage. Each of you post something that you and your partner come across on your journey to the mines, and how you overcome it. Magical blasts, exploding guards, prisoner attacks, etc. Go nuts!

Geth, roll 2d6 for damage.
    Geth, roll 1d6 for g1m1
    Geth, roll 1d5 for g1m2
    Geth, roll 1d4 for g2m1
    Geth, roll 1d3 for g2m2

1-Barthas
    2-Clank
    3-Proof
    4-Farkas
    5-Talfryn
    6-Yancey

damage:
    2d6 9 [2d6=6, 3]
    g1m1:
    1d6 5 [1d6=5]
    g1m2:
    1d5 4 [1d5=4]
    g2m1:
    1d4 3 [1d4=3]
    g2m2:
    1d3 2 [1d3=2]

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    No rush, I know folks are busy during the week. Just pinging so that everyone knows there was an update!
    @Bss
    @jdarksun‌
    @Grunt's Ghosts
    @Kilroy
    @Auralynx‌
    @Oats

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Proof watches in silent horror as flesh coverts to crystal.

"We need to move. Now." Prisoners claw at their cells, begging for freedom. Others haven't been so lucky, knocked unconscious or worse by the fall.

"Trust me boys, better in than out in this case."

The robot has been stoic thus far, following closely and silently. Unshakable even when the sky is falling. Dwarfen handicraft at an apex long since gone.

The wall of crystal expands slowly behind.

Conjuring a blast of frost, Proof hopes to slow its advance. "We need to find its source before it kills them. No man, woman or even elf deserves that death."

Rounding a bend there is a "guard", hunchbacked and gaunt. Muttering something into his palm. Proof notices a faint magical aura, but before he can attempt to counter the magic the human's head is gone, replaced by the plumb of a hammer and a fine red mist.

"Objective completed. Structural integrity of skull lacking. We should move on."

The crystal's advance has been halted. Our intrepid heroes move deeper into the prison.

Oats on
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Ignore this post. It never happened. None of you saw a damn thing.

Oats on
  • Options
    I've been busy with work the last couple nights but I'll try to get something written tonight.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    bss wrote: »
    I've been busy with work the last couple nights but I'll try to get something written tonight.

Look for something from me some time tomorrow. Will happily build off GG.

• Options
    It's Ok. I love Lady Gaga too. That's not what you where talking about?

"To the Mines!" Talfryn yells during the chaos. Only Farkas seems to follow the elf.

Out in the courtyard, the chaos was spreading. Prisoners and guards battled and fires burned all around. The two take a side alley to evade most of the fighting but Farkas still finds time to cut a few prisoners and a guard who got in his way. A wagon full of gunpowder barrels explodes near the two adventurers, cutting off the path with a wall of fire. "In here." Farkas kicks open a door to one of the buildings.

Inside, the fire rages still. The building appeared to had been a guard tower but there is only one door in or out, the one they came in. "We are going up."

"Up?"

"I find the quickest way down sometimes is up."
    Farkas says as he heads up the stairs.

The fire is worst the higher they go. The smoke blinds and chokes them. Suddenly a piece of armor slams into Farkas. Through the smoke the thief can see that more of the building is shifting from left to right.

Creative juices being sucked out by South Park:TSOT... Such a good game.

• Options
    @Bss
    @jdarksun‌
    @Kilroy
    @Auralynx‌

Our remaining Montagers!

Also yes, South Park is pretty fantastic.

• Options
    You're kidding, right? South Park is funny for being South Park, but the actual game is so terrible. I really wish I hadn't wasted my money on it.

• Options
    "All things deserve death," replied the automaton after an interminably long time of forging through collapsing tunnels. "To function endlessly without cessation would be worse." Clank suddenly stopped, still as an unliving hunk of stone. "This passage is collapsing. We must find another."

Back they went, retracing their path up one path to go down another. There the duo found themselves confronted by three men wearing a motley collection of blood-stained armor. They raised weapons - a makeshift dagger, a curse upon foul lips, fists with knuckles scarred and broken. The men charged, so Clank and Proof went about their work, severing the escaped inmates from their mortal coil.

"More haste is required. I am experiencing a 20% reduction in efficiency due to impaired servomotors on my left side."

"Ach, curse yer damned precision," Proof huffed through his beard. "Just say yer injured."

Clank's irises nictated, considering. "Very well. I am injured. We must reach our destination soon."

"Good talk," the dwarf muttered. "Now quit yer whinin' and get movin'."

• Options
    edited March 2014
    It's like a buddy cop movie!

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    You're kidding, right? South Park is funny for being South Park, but the actual game is so terrible. I really wish I hadn't wasted my money on it.
    Its an RPG for people who don't play RPGs. Its not GOTY but I don't think that's the point.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Its an RPG for people who don't play RPGs. Its not GOTY but I don't think that's the point.
    from the pedigree of its developer, it isn't too much to expect an RPG for RPG players.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    I'm not going to be home this weekend and can't promise I'll be able to update, if the montages get to being waiting on me, go on ahead if desired and I can promise I will sit down and montage something when I can (maybe Sunday, probably Monday).

• Options
    The montages were sort of introduced to allow you guys to do some in character-type stuff if you so desired. Sort of flesh out their personalities etc, instead of it being hey go here and do this. I'll make a cutoff of like Monday morning, let's say. Any that haven't done one by then is fine. I'll just have everyone in the mines for the NEXT THING

• Options
    The montages were sort of introduced to allow you guys to do some in character-type stuff if you so desired. Sort of flesh out their personalities etc, instead of it being hey go here and do this. I'll make a cutoff of like Monday morning, let's say. Any that haven't done one by then is fine. I'll just have everyone in the mines for the NEXT THING

Yeah, and I'm actually super on board with that, I just regrettably haven't had much time to sit down and think about what I want to montage.

• Options
    Yancey takes the lead as he and Barthas flee the crystals. Nimbly rolling, leaping, and otherwise avoiding falling masonry and general affray, the halfling's greater concern is the attacker with the blue crystal ray. At least one such individual seems to have followed them.

"So hey," Yancey ducks a blue beam, "maybe we should try to find a mirror or something. Those always work on rays when a bard tells a story, yep!"

Barthas can only shake his head. Though less agile than the halfling, he is nevertheless able to keep up as Yancey leads them along a circuitous route towards a room with a thick oak door. The two quickly haul it open and slam it behind them, with Barthas bracing it shut.

Yancey pulls the map from the briefing-room out of a pocket and unrolls it on what appears to be someone's footlocker, doing his best to ignore the fact that the locker keeps sliding around the floor by jumping on it to anchor it, however briefly.

"Uh, well, you probably won't like this but I think I know where we are and if we want to get to the mines from here we're probably going to have to jump down something because I think the main entrance is back past those crystals and I don't think they'll let us in there and we might have to find a rope because otherwise I think we might fall off into the sky which would be pretty neat but I can't fly, can you?"

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Though separated and beset on all sides by obstacles both numerous and hazardous, the whole party manages to make it to the mines intact. This area is a bit less damaged due to the other areas, most likely due to the reinforcing beams lining the shafts. Looking around, you realize that you can all see pretty well despite the absence of any visible light sources. You feel something in your eyes. After a few breaths you realize why. It seems that the explosions powdered some of the crystals in the walls, floors, and ceiling. The grit in your mouth and the dust clogging your nostrils consists mainly of this magical powder. Perhaps this is also the reason you can see so well? Taking a quick inventory of yourself and your surroundings, you feel much more powerful than you had a little while ago. Energy seems to be coursing through your body, ready to burst forth at your command. YOU'RE ALL LEVEL 2 NOW K THANKS

As you revel in the strangeness of the whole scenario you hear a deep and echoing scream. Somewhere nearby someone is in mortal danger. Whether friend or foe is yet to be seen, but it is probably worth investigating. Soon there is another sound that seems to throb in your head louder than the shouting. It is a continuous beating. It sounds like a heartbeat, but it is impossibly loud. How can it be so loud? Is it your own heartbeat? You feel a pull that draws you toward the shouting. There you find a guard holding another guard, this one barely alive. Shards of crystal are sticking out of the wounded guard's neck and blood is dribbling forth from the impact wounds. All around the guards are...things. They were once humanoid. Now they are twisted and warped. Human, half-orc, elf. All are indistinguishable. You hear a whisper. It slithers around your brain, silky and compelling. "kiLl ThEM. TheY Are WEAk. Do not DessSERVE tHE GIft. TakE My POweRR fOr YOUrsssELf."

The 'things' turn around and look at you with baleful eyes. They want the power. You are in the way.

ROLL FOR INITIATIVE!

GG: 20
    Oats: 12
    Jdark: 7
    Auralynx:7
    Kilroy:17
    Bss: 6
    Monster group 1: 18
    Monster group 2: 14

Geth, roll 2#1d20+5 for group 1 group 2

group 1 group 2:
    2#1d20+5 2 # 18 [1d20=13] 14 [1d20=9]

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    Geth roll 1d20+6 for combat!

combat!:
    1d20+6 20 [1d20=14]

• Options
    "By the gods...!"

Geth roll 1d20+2 for Barthas's initiative

Barthas's initiative:
    1d20+2 6 [1d20=4]

• Options
    "Threat assessment unknown," rumbled the automaton. "This breed of organic/inorganic hybrids have not been encountered. Caution advised."

Minion, roll 1d20+4 for initiative

initiative:
    1d20+4 7 [1d20=3]