As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Trenches ad eating whole CPU core

So while trying to browse the The Trenches site I noticed it was basically impossible to scroll after looking at the page for a few seconds.

Curious I popped open Task Manager and watched my CPU usage as I loaded the page. It spiked to 27% and stayed roughly there after the two Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls ads loaded.

Here's an image showing the behavior.

Currently running Firefox 27.0.1 with the latest Flash Player (looks like 12.0.0.70) on Windows 7. CPU's a 3.4 GHz Phenom X4 so it really shouldn't be eating a full core.

• Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Geez, it pegs one of my system's CPUs as well, and also makes scrolling really jerky.
    Its incredible how utterly shit Adobe Flash is.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'll pass this on.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    It's mostly a problem with FF27 and Flash. I was having this problem all over the place, searched, and found this page.

Relevant quote:
    To know if you face the same issue:

Type "about:support" in the address bar and press Enter.
    In the "graphics" section check the line with the entry "AzureContentBackend".
    If the value is "cairo" you may well face the same issue than I did.

In that case I have found a workaround:

Type "about:config" in the address bar and press Enter.
    Search for "gfx.content.azure.backends".
    The value should be "direct2d,cairo". Edit it to be simply "direct2d" (ie. remove "cairo"), then restart Firefox.

I did that and everything started running smooth again.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    No go on that fix, thanks for posting it though, Santa.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Getting that same issue with that same ad, this time on the main site.

Like, I don't mind the advertisements, but it seems like I get all the terrible luck with them, thinking waaaaaay back to those super fancy particle effect Magic: The Gathering ones.