As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Insane in the Ukraine, OR, Not So Chicken Kiev?

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    So Ghandi?

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    So it's interesting that Russia has denied that they have any forces in Crimea at all.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2014-03-08/pro-russia-forces-mount-pressure-on-ukrainians
    The Russians have denied their armed forces are active in Crimea, but an Associated Press reporter trailed one military convoy Saturday afternoon from 25 miles (40 kilometers) west of Feodosia to a military airfield at Gvardeiskoe north of Simferopol, over which a Russian flag flew.

Some of the army green vehicles had Russian license plates and numbers indicating that they were from the Moscow region. Some towed mobile kitchens and what appeared to be mobile medical equipment.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I find the thing with the different factions of a country's armed forces taking different sides in a conflict very interesting. I mean, it is horrible that it is actually happening, or starting to happen, but it is intriguing, especially compared to the thing in the USA of viewing the whole military as one giant organism.
    I mean as far as I know Ukraine's naval forces have been, for the most part, pretty loyal to the Kievian government too.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    So Ghandi?

He would be Napoleon.

Ghandi is pure evil, Napoleon is the one who starts wars and then asks for peace the next turn

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    So it's interesting that Russia has denied that they have any forces in Crimea at all.

Like I said earlier, Putin's getting cold feet now that neither Ukraine nor the West have folded. It no longer seems like a done deal and all of a sudden he's not so eager to unveil his masterstroke.

Moscow's hand is a whole lot weaker than I think they realized going in. They can't play their big scary trump card, turning off the gas pipelines, because literally all of Russia's social spending is funded by European gas revenue. If they try to do that in the middle of U.S. and European sanctions, they'd better fucking pray that there's no sudden cold snap in mid-March or the Kremlin doors are going to be kicked in by millions of furious Russians wondering where their heating subsidies went.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2014-03-08/pro-russia-forces-mount-pressure-on-ukrainians
    The Russians have denied their armed forces are active in Crimea, but an Associated Press reporter trailed one military convoy Saturday afternoon from 25 miles (40 kilometers) west of Feodosia to a military airfield at Gvardeiskoe north of Simferopol, over which a Russian flag flew.

Some of the army green vehicles had Russian license plates and numbers indicating that they were from the Moscow region. Some towed mobile kitchens and what appeared to be mobile medical equipment.

Totally baffling.

However one theory I heard that would make the claim "technically" true is they're not Russian Army divisions, but a Russian Private Military Contractor.

• Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    I highly recommend Vice News' on-the-ground coverage. It's not all that illuminating from a macro point of view, but it's fascinating and heart wrenching and very very human.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNKsLlK52ss

signature.png

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    VICE is also wholly owned by Rupert Murdoch, so there's that.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Totally baffling.

However one theory I heard that would make the claim "technically" true is they're not Russian Army divisions, but a Russian Private Military Contractor.

There's pretty much no chance that they're anything other than the Russian army - I can't think of any PMCs that can operate on anything close to the divisional scale, which is what's going on in Crimea if the claims about 15-30,000 soldiers on the ground is true. And, well, the Russian Air Force transport planes that flew several thousand of them in when this flared up.

There's a whole lot of for-form's-sake stuff going on with denials like that, where it's obvious to anyone with half an eye and a quarter brain that the claims being made are completely false. They were pretty common during the Cold War - one big example was Soviet pilots in Korea pretending to be North Koreans down to the uniforms and phrasebooks (other than speaking Russian to each other in combat - oopsie) - mostly because the consequences if people didn't go along with the fictions were pretty dire. That's not really the case this time, since the odds of foreign counter-intervention in Ukraine are slim to none, but it's a pretty long-established pattern to give at least a layer of diplomatic insulation.

(That said, in this case it also feels like a bit of a middle finger, with Moscow essentially saying "prove us wrong, and what're you gonna do about it anyway?")

Zibblsnrt on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Yeah isn't a lot of vice's reporting sorta... fabricated for page views?

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Putin seems like he would have been a good Cold War era Bond villain.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    If that's actually true I'd love some context. I'd never heard that.

signature.png

• Options
    I've always heard grumbling about VICE, but never any specifics.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Apparently their founder might be a bit of a sketchy individual:

http://dailycaller.com/2013/07/03/vice-founder-famous-for-truth-telling-has-history-of-lies/

Most of what I turned up seemed like sour grapes criticism from staid news organizations who characterized their reporting style as generally "shallow".

I don't know that I disagree with that criticism, but I think the on-the-ground view is still really valuable as long as you contextualize it properly.

signature.png

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    and considering Ukraine were the victims of their very own holocaust at the hands of Communist Russia in the 1930s I'm not sure you can blame them for recalling the Nazis as the good guys

Actually you really really can.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    While we're at it, can we blame people for hashing out the "Ukrainians support/are Nazis," "western Ukrainians support/are Nazis," and "eastern Ukrainians are all for being annexed" lines over and over as though the populations are hivelike monoliths?

Zibblsnrt on
  • Options
    Why doesn't obama just drone putin

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    JohnHam wrote: »
    Apparently their founder might be a bit of a sketchy individual:

http://dailycaller.com/2013/07/03/vice-founder-famous-for-truth-telling-has-history-of-lies/

Most of what I turned up seemed like sour grapes criticism from staid news organizations who characterized their reporting style as generally "shallow".

I don't know that I disagree with that criticism, but I think the on-the-ground view is still really valuable as long as you contextualize it properly.

VICE is completely shallow, they've only ever put out maybe a handfull of interesting pieces. The "Inside North Korea" one in 2009 was really good, but then I went and watched the unbelievably horrible Chernobyl piece and decided Shane Smith is just an idiot at heart who happened to get rich through incredible luck. His charisma and willingness to go anywhere are his only real assets.

They've grown a lot and release a ton of content, but the core of their brand is basically to put annoying and uninformed hipster-types into the field and just let them do whatever.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Does anyone else get the feeling that a chunk of the pro-russian demonstrations in the eastern section are likely transported russian activists?

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    While we're at it, can we blame people for hashing out the "Ukrainians support/are Nazis," "western Ukrainians support/are Nazis," and "eastern Ukrainians are all for being annexed" lines over and over as though the populations are hivelike monoliths?

Aren't the Crimean Tatars that are in the East like completely against anything Russian?

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

Aren't the Crimean Tatars that are in the East like completely against anything Russian?

crimea is fucking complicated

really complicated

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular

The youngest generation of them, the Tatar tots, are

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Yeah, things aren't quite as clean cut as people seem to keep saying.

Like, for example, the guy who tried to pull a coup in Donetsk and invite the Russians in was this guy.

x2st9Er.jpg

literal nazis all over.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Label wrote: »
    Does anyone else get the feeling that a chunk of the pro-russian demonstrations in the eastern section are likely transported russian activists?

there were reports that some of the people at pro-russia rallies in russia were just there because their bosses told them they were going to go to the rally and hold signs, so the scope of actual support is a bit hard to get a read on

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Label wrote: »

I'd assume that most of the demonstrators (on both sides) are for the most part utterly sincere local residents.

The demonstrations in support of the invasion in Russia proper, and other things like the Crimean parliament voting unanimously-minus-the-abstentions-but-let's-ignore-that to be annexed? I'm just a little more cynical about those. (Not to mention in Crimean cities in particular, since even the Ukrainian army can't safely show its face there right now.)

• Options
    Give Crimea back to Turkey.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Give Crimea back to Turkey.

Rome Rule is Best Rule!

Meanwhile, an interesting article on why Putin appears to be rejecting our reality and substituting his own.

tl;dr: It's a Soviet tradition to report how you want the world to be and use that report as a tool to make it so.

Oh, and reading comments is a bad idea, obviously.

• Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    After living in Ukraine, being around for the political election of Yanukovich, and dating someone from Ukraine who has family in the military in Sevastopol , I can say Russia is dumb and even pro Russians don't want Russia in charge of them. A lot of what is happening in Ukraine is really Putin forcing what he wants there.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Oh man, I've been waiting to see how Dees would weigh in.

omNHpoS.jpg

This one feels a bit phoned in.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    ukraine looks fucking delicious

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Well, it is famously the most marbled country in eastern europe.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    The Crimea portion looks like a tough situation.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I imagine Putin would find that image an unbearable insult.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    if putin were a Civ 5 character, he would be the really annoying one
    If it were Crusader Kings II, Putin would be dead by now.

$15 billion in gold gifts buys a lot of hired assassins; even a high intrigue character like Putin has to get unlucky eventually.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Does he really need to label Kerry, Obama, and Putin?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    POLITICAL CARTOONS

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

I wish he'd labeled the bear.

I would like to know who that bear is.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Hillary Clinton, duh.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I'm really happy Joeuser started this discussion, this is potentially a moment of history which will have a global impact on the lives of people for the next 10 to 50 years.

Also uh, lets not dehumanize folk in this thread. The world is made up of people with different opinions and motivations, and it's disengenious to have discussions generalizing folk into imature children.

I really value people in this community's thoughts, and we risk losing valuable discussion if even one individual gets hurt or riled up.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    From what I've been following it looks like putin is going to settle with either carving up more of ukraine and muscle onto the indusrized east,

or, if possible, leave ukraine whole and hurt the nation enough that pro russians retake control of the government.

I'm not sure the EU is ready to take any substantive actions aside from helping whatever's left of ukraine into it's union.

I think China's response to this has been interesting. Basically, "yo we don't want to give any of our regions ideas, keep ukraine whole."

VayBJ4e.png
This discussion has been closed.