As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'm on my tablet god damn it [chat]

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    watched the thief trailer and it basically looks like dishonored but without the innovative setting or cool art style.

it could still be decent - i really really liked dishonored

maybe will wait for price to drop or something.

Thief is a game that isn't like dishonored in that you suck at killing people.

In fact you will be doing everything you can not to get near or kill people.

It is a stealing shit and taking it off the wall simulator. Stealth is the name of the game. So consider that.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The blink mechanic in Dishonored was so great.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    man i found dishonored's art style profoundly uncool

i liked the idea of it, i guess- this water-centric world, the whales, the sort of italian-venetian thing with these city states and waterways and all

but overall, man

the big faces, the big hands, the voices... i dunno

i don't know if i'd say i rolledm y eyes at it, exactly, but i stopped right around when the game really 'begins'
    that is, when your'e given the blink power, introduced to the resistance etc

it was just kind of awkward and embarrassing feeling to me in execution, i dunno

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    watched the thief trailer and it basically looks like dishonored but without the innovative setting or cool art style.

Based on what reviews I have read and the couple friends who did buy it this seems like the wisest course, and since you are going to be getting TF you will be absorbed into it anyways,

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    i remember the tomb puzzle where you had to open the shutters such that they would blow the platform (which you had to be fairly quick to jump to) towards the opposite wall.

i figured out what i had to do after a minute or two but man, executing that took me probably 20 or 30 tries. curse you, jump mechanics.

that was a really hard puzzle and a really memorable experience, what with the winds howling at the top of a mountain buffeting lara around; force-feedback and making her kind of hard to control.

another part that really stuck with me was the scene climbing to the tippytop of the radio transmitter. literally had my stomach drop, which is pretty awesome.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    @Jacobkosh‌ @Thomamelas‌ @Organichu‌ @Shivahn‌ @Elldren‌ @surrealitycheck‌ @whoever

I am going to load up vent and the load up dragonfall. Feel free to join me folks.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    It's super hard to not pick up Need for Speed or BF4 with the video card upgrade.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    we've got a long way to go

:whistle: let's get down to business :whistle:

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    *scratches chin*
    How many men does it take a deliver a message?

What is the message, who is the recipient, and what response are you hoping for?

the message is "We, the Hun army, demand that your strongest forces face us in honorable combat"

the recipient is the Emperor of China

hoped-for response should be self-evident based on the above

40 guys, at the very least

And be preparedor them all to die

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

dude, Dishonored's setting was the Thief setting (from the original 3 thief games) with like a slightly different aesthetic

which isn't to defend the reboot. I hear its story is pretty risible. which is lame as hell because the original games were very well-written (particularly by the standards of, like, the year 2000 in PC gaming, but also in general).

on the other hand, if you liked dishonored's gameplay I also hear that nu-thief is really solid in that regard and maybe worth checking out despite the dumb story.

rRwz9.gif
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    i loved the cartoony character models in dishonoured and chu is a wretched subhuman who talks about sunglasses and then doesn't follow up

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2014
    Organichu wrote: »
    man i found dishonored's art style profoundly uncool

i liked the idea of it, i guess- this water-centric world, the whales, the sort of italian-venetian thing with these city states and waterways and all

but overall, man

the big faces, the big hands, the voices... i dunno

i don't know if i'd say i rolledm y eyes at it, exactly, but i stopped right around when the game really 'begins'
    that is, when your'e given the blink power, introduced to the resistance etc

it was just kind of awkward and embarrassing feeling to me in execution, i dunno

man i loved loved loved the art style in dishonored. it was like the center of the bullseye in terms of what i like out of character & environmental models in my video games.

it was similar to bioshock infinite's i thought but even better-done.

edit: also the characterization was really pretty good and had some emotional depth at parts.

the world setting so so good

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    *scratches chin*
    How many men does it take a deliver a message?

What is the message, who is the recipient, and what response are you hoping for?

the message is "We, the Hun army, demand that your strongest forces face us in honorable combat"

the recipient is the Emperor of China

hoped-for response should be self-evident based on the above

40 guys, at the very least

And be preparedor them all to die

Shan-Yu's archer disagrees.

Are the big hands a European cartoon thing? I just remember Fable having the big hands as well.

I love Shan-Yu just taking the top of a tree off

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i loved the cartoony character models in dishonoured and chu is a wretched subhuman who talks about sunglasses and then doesn't follow up

yeah they were literally like racial caricatures from the late 19th cent

emphasising the racial "types" and gettin all up in that phrenology shit

obF2Wuw.png
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

dude, Dishonored's setting was the Thief setting (from the original 3 thief games) with like a slightly different aesthetic

which isn't to defend the reboot. I hear its story is pretty risible. which is lame as hell because the original games were very well-written (particularly by the standards of, like, the year 2000 in PC gaming, but also in general).

on the other hand, if you liked dishonored's gameplay I also hear that nu-thief is really solid in that regard and maybe worth checking out despite the dumb story.

thanks for the info. i liked dishonored's gameplay and actually committed to a pacifist play through after a few levels, but really liked the fact that i could actually stealth in and knock most dudes out instead of just constantly avoiding them. i did the same thing through deus ex. maybe thief would get frustrating to me if it didn't realistically have that option.

Wqdwp8l.png
    Knocking out all the guards and then running around throughout the level looting stuff was how I played Thief 1-3 except for those really hard levels that limited the number of guards you could knock out.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited March 2014
    Couscous wrote: »
    The blink mechanic in Dishonored was so great.

the great thing about the blink power is that it's a solution to the fundamental problem of stealth games, which is that you have to spend a long-ass time sitting still or moving at a snail's pace (since in the language of video games, sneaking = moving really slowly).

being able to zip from one shadow to another without waiting for guards to pass by or a searchlight to finish its arc or whatever made the gameplay so much more kinetic and fun.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    oh man Atlanta PD friend story.

I guess last night he and a few other officer friends were leaving a bar. They are a little sloshed.

A vagrant comes up to them and goes hey hey hey y'all look like some cool dudes. Haha you ain't FBI is ya?!

They all say "no way! definitely not FBI."

he proceeds to pull out a bag of weed and asks them if they want to buy because tonight is their lucky night!

so naturally he tells the dude "let me get out of my wallet and see what I have!"

"Oh. . .damn just this APD badge."

steam_sig.png
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Let's be realistic about "pacifist" options in those games

if you crack someone on the head with a sap hard enough to render them unconscious for the entire night they're probably going to die without a doctor.

nexuscrawler on

In rarity if you crack someone on the head with a sap hard enough to render them unconscious for the entire night they're probably going to die without a doctor.
    Batman is a mass killer in the Arkham Asylum games if you play stealthily by tying them upside down.

Couscous wrote: »

In rarity if you crack someone on the head with a sap hard enough to render them unconscious for the entire night they're probably going to die without a doctor.
    Batman is a mass killer in the Arkham Asylum games if you play stealthily by tying them upside down.

He doesn't kill anyone directly but the guy who you broke both his kneecaps? Probably not going to last long in a prison city filled with psychos in winter

edited March 2014
    You could play through every level in Dishonored without touching anybody except the main targets though I did so through the level select instead of playing the whole game straight through so doing it while also getting any upgrade points for the next level of blink would be kind of hard but doable.

Edit: Well, except for the intro level.

Couscous on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    For the longest time, Mulan stood as the only Disney movie I owned.

It is an excellent film.

I have since expanded that library, but Mulan is still my favorite of Disney's films (Not including Pixar releases).

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    jake

mix

i am delaying doing that because i need to gym and also get chipotle at some point

but you know

i should

i will

@y2jake215‌ when you return

http://www.reddit.com/r/Beatmatch/comments/1z6ei2/another_idea_pt_3_the_pool_mix_thread/

@TL DR

holy shit this is a cool idea.

steam_sig.png
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    this took me like

an hour i think?

im getting faster now its time to get more ambitious

whoops i had to post the link

http://i.imgur.com/0sX500s.png?1

This reminds me, I finally managed to measure and order frames for the prints you sent me for secret santa, so those can go up in my office as soon as they get here.

Yay! I'm glad you like them!

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    oh man Atlanta PD friend story.

I guess last night he and a few other officer friends were leaving a bar. They are a little sloshed.

A vagrant comes up to them and goes hey hey hey y'all look like some cool dudes. Haha you ain't FBI is ya?!

They all say "no way! definitely not FBI."

he proceeds to pull out a bag of weed and asks them if they want to buy because tonight is their lucky night!

so naturally he tells the dude "let me get out of my wallet and see what I have!"

"Oh. . .damn just this APD badge."

busting a vagrant dude for weed is poor form

obF2Wuw.png
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The expression on Green Lantern's shocked face is priceless.
    WonderWomanpeace_zps51475e75.jpg
    WonderWomanpeace2_zps0686cfa7.jpg

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    jake

mix

i am delaying doing that because i need to gym and also get chipotle at some point

but you know

i should

i will

@y2jake215‌ when you return

http://www.reddit.com/r/Beatmatch/comments/1z6ei2/another_idea_pt_3_the_pool_mix_thread/

@TL DR

holy shit this is a cool idea.

Agreed.

I'm not crazy about the selection, though.

and lol that bpm spread

OCf4JdG.png

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    i am exhausted

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    GUYS I JUST HAD THE BEST QUICKIE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

• stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    Hi [chat], as many of you know, I've spent the better part of the last nine months lamenting. I ended a horrible situation with a girl that lasted a very long time, and was also laid off from my job. I was assured by my company they'd help me find work. I was assured by employers that I just wasn't the right fit, but my resume was great. I was assured a lot of things.

I wasn't assured that I'd be out of work for as long as I was.

Life is pretty boring past the first couple months of unemployment. You run out of things to do, you run out of tv to watch and as money gets tighter you tend to be forced to shed a lot of luxuries.

There were days where it was hard to get out of bed and hard to justify going for a run. Out of shape and unemployed, who cares? Who am I seeing? Who am I trying to impress?

At the end of December I wasn't paying attention and my unemployment extension was stalled. It's STILL stalled. Agree with unemployment benefits or not, it's hard to think you have a consistent paycheck coming down the line and then have it dry up. I was left pretty destitute. Eating became scarce, and on top of that my car broke. Really broke. $2k later and I was really out of money. Shortly thereafter my car broke again and I was unable to fix it.

It was a very grim time in my life and one that I grew a lot during. Some ways I've changed for the better and some ways I've changed for the worse. But I've learned a lot and I've changed a lot.

On Tuesday AM I was offered a job in Portland, OR. For those of you who don't know, I've been living in Los Angeles for the last three years. It was a three week process with 9 interviews. Money got tighter and I hoped that I'd get this job. And I did. I finally caught a break.

I start work on the 20th and I have to move in pretty much 7 days. It's scary and stressful and I don't know how I'm going to do this with very little cash flow. Unemployment is still frozen and my tax return hasn't come yet. But just knowing this is almost over is enough.

I wanted to share this news with you because of how much you all mean to me. Seriously. Many of the days I listed above, the days I didn't want to get out of bed...the days where everything was boring and same, you all helped me through it. You were a joy to talk to, argue with and joke around with. When you live in a city like this, it can be isolating. The public transit is terrible and the city is a sprawl. With no car and no money it was hard to see friends. But I had friends here. I got social and emotional stimulation through all of you and it was sometimes my only real stimulation I had for a few days at a time.

When I ran out of money (like, really ran out of money) a lot of you immediately offered to help. Could you send food to my house? Did I need money? I'm beyond doing the whole "you're more than internet friends" thing because you have been for a while. But these were things even local friends didn't necessarily offer. Nothing against them, but that amount of support was incredibly overwhelming.

[chat], you were a consummate friend and a fantastic comfort through nine of the bleakest months of my life. I leave for Portland on Saturday and I am taking few things with me. I can't afford to be sending shitty IKEA furniture and a four year old bed up with me. But I am taking with me the friendship of all of you. I'm taking the encouragement, support and kindness that each and every one of you displayed. I will unpack it in Portland, and I will keep it with me forever.

My only hope is that some day I can offer the same kindness and generosity for each and every one of you that you offered me. You are a dynamic, intelligent and hilarious group of people. I am thankful for all of you.

Thank you for helping me through this time and I look forward to spending many more years [chat]ting with the lot of you.

I'll check in throughout the week and I'll be back semi-permanently once I get settled in in PDX.

Best,
    Steve

"We need a bomber dredged up out of the basin. One of our engineers can make a rebreather for you to make it easier."

FPNJUrx.jpg?1

Bitch please. Putin just holds his breath like bear.

edited March 2014
    there is absolutely no reason for Shan-Yu's eyes to be yellow, tiny points of evil light

and yet

it works perfectly

Tamin on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Steve, I went through something similar back in 2011. After a long span of unemployment, I moved up here to Yellowknife. I was completely broke when I did so. All my credit was maxed.

It has turned into the best thing I've done in a long, long time.

Portland is going to be awesome, dude.

citizens, I need firepower!

He's so shocked the structure of his face and skin color both change dramatically

This discussion has been closed.