As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cosmos, with Neil DeGrasse Tyson - In which we learn that FOX is not the same as Fox News

SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
edited March 2014 in Debate and/or Discourse
Tonight on Fox and National Geographic, Cosmos is coming back.

http://www.cosmosontv.com/

tumblr_n23cieAsLH1slpe6vo1_1280.jpg

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZmafy_v8g8

Incidentally, the first 24 seconds of this video are currently my ringtone.

Entire first episode streaming without ads: http://www.fox.com/watch/183733315515

ElJeffe on

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    It's like my dreams are coming true.

• CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    I'm hoping the reboot is good, but skeptical that it will overcome the nostalgia mountain that the original sits upon in my mind.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    If Ann Druyan waxes abloo abloo about shit anywhere in the show, it gets a chop.

I mostly like Tyson and how he's a more modern Bill Nye, but at the same time I'm concerned this series might do stuff that will become dated by mining memes or stupid stuff like using nyan cat to re-imagine relativity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPoGVP-wZv8

Still, cautiously optimistic.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I think this is appropriate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGK84Poeynk

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    This isn't going to be streamed anywhere, right?

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Here's my favorite Carl Sagan music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Y'know, it figures. One of the things that bugged me the most about the Old Cosmos was the constant references to how we all might nuke each other in a Cold War Holocaust before we got anywhere.

Any then, right before the new one comes out, Putin.

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    I love this man.

image_zps612d7f28.jpg

I am unreasonably excited.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    The fact that we still have thousands of nuclear weapons and maintenance and operation of those weapons haven't really been kept up that well is as troubling as the tensions during the Cold War. The chances of accidents involving nuclear has always been a pretty big concern. It's just that people don't pay as much attention to it today.

And I wonder if Ben Kingsley based on his performance as the Mandarin on Sagan. The speech pattern and voice are similar.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Fortunately nuclear accidents tend to involve the weapons breaking, not exploding.

Everything possible, Obama?

How about funding NASA!

How about funding NASA!

Seriously, this was one of those things that was just stupid to put in front of it.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    The fact that we still have thousands of nuclear weapons and maintenance and operation of those weapons haven't really been kept up that well is as troubling as the tensions during the Cold War. The chances of accidents involving nuclear has always been a pretty big concern. It's just that people don't pay as much attention to it today.

And I wonder if Ben Kingsley based on his performance as the Mandarin on Sagan. The speech pattern and voice are similar.

I would definitely say that Hugo Weaving must have been influenced by Sagan for his portrayal of Agent Smith. Someone even mashed up that one Matrix scene with Sagan from Cosmos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlpyGhABXRA

• SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular

How about funding NASA!

Isn't the budget set by Congress?

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »

How about funding NASA!

Yes

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Fortunately nuclear accidents tend to involve the weapons breaking, not exploding.

Actually, some of the most frightening incidents had nothing to do with the weapons themselves but equipment problems/failure in the early warning system. For example, in 1961, all communication between SAC and NORAD went down due to equipment failure, which no one thought was possible due to redundancies built into the system. But it turns out that the communication circuits ran through a relay station without any redundancies.

Also, there have been some pretty troubling incidents involving nuclear launch officers. Recently there was the whole drug scandal involve nuclear launch officers. There have also been issues concerning the mental health of those officers.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I am curious how well they do this. I wish I saw Cosmos when I was young.

Neil comes off less pompous than Sagan. This may work.

Krathoon on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I hope the music score delivers. Alan Silvestri has an inconstant track record.

I rewatched the first episode of the original last night and that really drove home just how strongly driven the original series was by its music. A less wrll-chosen score would have crippled it.

rRwz9.gif
    This Cosmos show is getting in the way of these commercials.

TexiKen wrote: »
    This Cosmos show is getting in the way of these commercials.

no shit. I look forward to owning it so I can watch two episodes in 45 minutes.

• CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    I'm loving this!

This is amazing stuff, if this stays as good they need to show it in schools.

edited March 2014
    The cosmic calendar bit is wonderful. I know it just another take of 'the pale blue dot' but it makes its point just as well.

that wasn't perfect, but it made me happy. I can't think of the last television show that managed that.

chamberlain on
    There are not enough words of praise for what I just watched.

It was simply spectacular.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    This was everything I was hoping it to be, and more.

• SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    This was way better than I could have hoped. I loved to see all of the advertising for science and tech careers, too.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »

How about funding NASA!

Yes

The same Congress that's nursed a thirty-year long hate boner for everything NASA.

What happened to NASA the last few years wasn't Obama's doing, it was just Congress putting the final shovelful of dirt on the grave.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    I don't know what needs to be spoilered because it's history, but it was a good first episode.

+Strong opening and visual showoff
    -mediocre middle with really weak animation for the Bruno part, which is a shame since McFarlane's got some good animators at his disposal
    +loved the calendar
    +the personal touch at the end with Sagan/Tyson relationship was very heartwarming (but dude stop using your middle name to be Canadian TV show hipster, Neil Tyson was good enough for Sagan, good enough for you)
    -the very weak, almost forced, little dig about coal power
    +great music
    -fuck all these commercials, I'd rather wait and watch it the next day and skip them. Especially the first episode do limited commercials.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I do hope now that we're through introductions future episodes are a little more focused.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I thought the animated bits were super nice

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited March 2014

Samphis on
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I certainly enjoyed, bit bummed that my schedule caused me to miss the first 157ish minutes of the premier. Damn shame that commercials are so fucking obnoxious these days and I think this would be so much more enjoyable without them.

Mill on
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    I thought the animated bits were super nice

Reminded me of Samurai Jack, of all things. At least stylistically. Which is A-OK, because that show was gorgeous.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I liked the animation. What's the relationship between fox and fox news? Because I can't see fox news owners being OK with the Bruno stuff.

steam_sig.png
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Content wise, I hope this is the same as the original cosmos, but with updated science. I hope it is not condensed any.

Krathoon on
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    I liked the animation. What's the relationship between fox and fox news? Because I can't see fox news owners being OK with the Bruno stuff.

I can't imagine almost anything on this show being okay with the normal Fox people, the fact it's on this station is mind boggling.

I half expect them to try and burn the people who made it.

Always remember: Rupert Murdoch likes money and Seth MacFarlane makes him lots of it, therefore sometimes things like this happen. Other times Dads happens. MacFarlane is a weird dude.

People need to realize Fox is actually a good network right now, this isn't some "lolz backwater" thing going on.

If this was on NBC it would be removed after the first episode because smug Bob Costas would think the galaxy revolved around him a-zing

• zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    Isn't it amazing how much of a Rock star this guy is?

Everything I see him on... no matter what kind of show he gets massive applause and cheers. (or maybe on my kind of TV? the kind of TV a 25yr old progessive male from a big city watches?)

Sure part of it is his charisma and general likability but I think most of it is because of how smart he is (or atleast thats what I tell myself?)

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular

How about funding NASA!

Unmanned, sure.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Cade wrote: »
    I'm loving this!

This is amazing stuff, if this stays as good they need to show it in schools.

They mentioned evolution, a 14 billion year old universe, a 4 million year old Earth, and the inquisition of Bruno.

This particular masterpiece piece of devil worship will never be seen in a red state classroom.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter