As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

To create a thread about [COSMOS], You first have to create the universe

FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
edited March 2014 in Social Entropy++
dgz2yutqx0ne.gif
hitchiker2.gif

Don't worry - this guy will explain it all.

gq-tyson.jpg?1394140150

Cosmos guys, its on its good.

Be prepared to feel really really small.

FortyTwo on

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Very pleased with the show so far, based on the first ep. One thing, though: it sounded like, at one point, Tyson described the universe as being 13.8 thousand billion years old. Maybe I misheard and he said million. If not...that's a hell of a mistake to miss in post, given the production values on this thing.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    when I saw brannon braga in the credits I nearly choked.

• FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    I think you misheard.

The cosmic calendar thing is blowing my mind.

• FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    I mean, I know all of this stuff on an academic level, but to have it presented it still boggles my mind.

Uriel wrote: »

He's a producer. Nine times out of ten that means "guy who convinces other people to sign the checks".

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    This is really great so far. My favorite part was when it broke into commercial and the first commercial was for Noah.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    Shadowen wrote: »

He's a producer. Nine times out of ten that means "guy who convinces other people to sign the checks".

it said directed by.

which I understand I suppose he has experience directing space scenes.

So yeah, Tyson's Cosmos-mobile is basically Slave I right?

it said directed by.

which I understand I suppose he has experience directing space scenes.

Weird. I saw he was a producer, but not director. Ah, well. What you want to do is keep Braga away from the writer's chair (or get him a good editor).
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    This is really great so far. My favorite part was when it broke into commercial and the first commercial was for Noah.

Mine cut to a Star Trek-themed Twizzlers commercial.
    FortyTwo wrote: »
    So yeah, Tyson's Cosmos-mobile is basically Slave I right?

I actually thought it was more like the dark elf ships in Thor 2 (or like a B-wing, which the dark elf ships strongly resembled).

When it first lifted off it was all flat bottom facing the screen.

I just wish I hadn't turned the TV on a few minutes early and had to suffer the last few moments of a family guy episode.

edited March 2014
    FortyTwo wrote: »
    When it first lifted off it was all flat bottom facing the screen.

Right, forgot that part. It moved more like a B-wing in space, though.

I think Seth MacFarlane is one of the financial backers, so that it vaguely resembles a Star Wars ship (or a combination of more than one) shouldn't be a surprise.

Shadowen on
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I missed the first eight or so minutes. Guess I'll just have to watch it all again soon

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Just think about all the Family Guy fans that are high on dooby weed getting their minds blown.

• number13number13 Registered User regular
    I get weirdly emotional with stuff like this. Especially that last minute with his own experiences with science and astronomy, which I thought was a great way to wrap it up. It was pretty great.

2w3e5cp.jpg
    The VA for the animated segments was.

Super cheesy.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Okay, this explains a lot.

I thought I was going nuts hearing everyone on the internet talk about a speedrunner all of a sudden.

YL9WnCY.png
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    @FortyTwo‌

The thread title needs to be " To create a thread about [COSMOS], You first have to create the universe"

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    The VA for the animated segments was.

Super cheesy.

still, I thought "your God is too small" was a good line

• Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    number13 wrote: »
    I get weirdly emotional with stuff like this. Especially that last minute with his own experiences with science and astronomy, which I thought was a great way to wrap it up. It was pretty great.

During that scene I had to position my arm in a weird way so my room mate wouldn't notice that I was crying.

Yeah, I got really quiet and my wife whispered very loudly to my sister-in-law, "SPACE GETS STEVE VERY EMOTIONAL."

Yeah, thanks for that show of spousal support, babe.

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    Isn't it amazing how much of a Rock star this guy is?

Everything I see him on... no matter what kind of show he gets massive applause and cheers. (or maybe on my kind of TV? the kind of TV a 25yr old progessive male from a big city watches?)

Sure part of it is his charisma and general likability but I think most of it is because of how smart he is (or atleast thats what I tell myself?)

zllehs wrote: »

Everything I see him on... no matter what kind of show he gets massive applause and cheers. (or maybe on my kind of TV? the kind of TV a 25yr old progessive male from a big city watches?)

Sure part of it is his charisma and general likability but I think most of it is because of how smart he is (or atleast thats what I tell myself?)

My guess is that he manages to not talk down to people while explaining mind-blowing things in understandable terms.

So, y'know. Simple. :P

My guess is that he manages to not talk down to people while explaining mind-blowing things in understandable terms.

So, y'know. Simple. :P

Yeah this is the big thing. His charisma makes him approachable and the mind-melting concepts seem attainable.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I missed this airing so I'll have to catch it tomorrow, but I have started listening to Star Talk Radio and it's wonderful

Yeah, the idea is to make all of the massive scale and scientific knowledge of understanding our universe approachable for EVERYONE, not just those already interested and invested and I think that's the brilliance of it (and any good teaching, really).

Even I had to listen to him explain the cosmic calendar and go, "Damn... that's really good." The fact that he can take something that can be very overwhelming and make it accessible says a lot not only of his charisma but his knowledge and love for allowing everybody to share in that wealth. You can see just how much he takes from Carl Sagan.

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Very pleased with the show so far, based on the first ep. One thing, though: it sounded like, at one point, Tyson described the universe as being 13.8 thousand billion years old. Maybe I misheard and he said million. If not...that's a hell of a mistake to miss in post, given the production values on this thing.

You misheard. I very clearly heard thousand-million.

The Cosmic Calender might be the single best bit of Television I have ever seen in my life.

Man, even the music is great. They got Alan Silvestri. You might recognize his work from a bunch of little films that saw some modest success, like Contact, Lilo & Stitch, the Night at the Museum series, and The Avengers.

Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I missed the first eight or so minutes. Guess I'll just have to watch it all again soon
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I missed this airing so I'll have to catch it tomorrow, but I have started listening to Star Talk Radio and it's wonderful

Its on NatGeo at midnight and 8pm tomorrow

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

That isn't really what a producer does within the realm of television.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    edited March 2014
    The original cosmos will air at 1am right after the new cosmos replay at 12am on NatGeo

zllehs on
  • LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    Gah I missed this. I don't have cable. Is there anywhere legitimate I can watch this online?

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Hulu, tomorrow

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Ladai wrote: »
    Gah I missed this. I don't have cable. Is there anywhere legitimate I can watch this online?
    A telescope

YL9WnCY.png
  • LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    well I walked right into that one

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    This show is amazing.

I am so taken back, and endlessly happy, that Fox would be so trusting to put this on at 9 p.m. on Sundays.

SO HAPPY.

Zonugal wrote: »
    This show is amazing.

I am so taken back, and endlessly happy, that Fox would be so trusting to put this on at 9 p.m. on Sundays.

SO HAPPY.

I just want it to perform decenlty on the ratings end of things and then let hype build up in the coming weeks

Zonugal wrote: »
    This show is amazing.

SO HAPPY.

I just want it to perform decenlty on the ratings end of things and then let hype build up in the coming weeks

I'm really afraid of its competition coming soon.