As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who is the Winter Soldier? (And other [Superhero Movies])

Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
edited March 2014 in Social Entropy++
Who is the Winter Soldier?
wintersoldier_zps359641c8.jpg
Marvel's next film in the ongoing Marvel Cinematic Universe, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, begins the biggest mystery event the film series has seen yet. The identity of the primary antagonist, the Winter Soldier, has been a source of rampant speculation, but it has so far been a tightly kept secret within Marvel. Casting, interviews, concept art, promotional materials, released footage and even the comics themselves have all turned up no conclusive leads. One piece of recent information that we now know is that, despite the movie's title, the Winter Soldier is in fact not Captain America. But with our best lead now revealed to be false, many of us are left speculating. I guess we'll have to wait until the movie is released on April 4th, 2013 before we'll find out the truth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SlILk2WMTI

Other Films

Amazing Spider-Man 2 - May 2nd, 2014
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXhv7CoLAOo

X-Men: Days of Future Past - May 23rd, 2014
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK2zYHWDZKo

Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1st, 2014
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d96cjJhvlMA

Avengers: Age of Ultron - May 1st, 2015
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr5rzSMNmRM

Fantastic Four Reboot - June 19th 2015
Ant-Man - July 17th, 2015
Superman/Batman - May 6th, 2016
Another MCU Movie - May 6th, 2016
X-Men: Apocalypse - May 27th, 2016
Amazing Spider-Man 3 - June 10th, 2016
Yet Another MCU Movie - July 8th, 2016
Yet ANOTHER MCU Movie - May 5th, 2017
Amazing Spider-Man 4 - May 4th, 2018

Venom and Sinister Six movies are planned by Sony
An X-Force movie is planned by Fox

DC is.... standing back at the moment. They had Flash and Justice League movies planned for 2016 and 2017 respectively, but Superman/Batman being pushed back has put those plans into question.

Undead Scottsman on

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I will delete this post in ten minutes
    the winter soldier is captain america's old friend, bucky barnes

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I didn't realize there was already a teaser for AoU

Then I realized they're probably already filming? I mean, it comes out in just a little over a year.

That's crazy! Like, didn't we just have the first one not....and then I realize that it's been that long since the first one came out.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The teaser was just a CG thing they slapped together for the announcement at Comic-Con last year.

I wish I could have been in the audience, given that it was the first time we heard it was about Ultron.

But yeah, I think Avengers 2 is filming now. There was some phone cam videos of some stuff from South Africa.

Plus Scarlett Johansson is pregnant, so they need to bang out her scenes right away.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    My favorite Batmobile is the Tumbler, even if it is the most impractical.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    The teaser was just a CG thing they slapped together for the announcement at Comic-Con last year.

I wish I could have been in the audience, given that it was the first time we heard it was about Ultron.

But yeah, I think Avengers 2 is filming now. There was some phone cam videos of some stuff from South Africa.

Plus Scarlett Johansson is pregnant, so they need to bang out her scenes right away.

Phrasing

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    My favorite Batmobile is the Tumbler, even if it is the most impractical.

I think that there is some stiff competition for most impractical Batmobile.

I like the Tumbler more than the average fan I think, but my favorite has always been the first DCAU one.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Aw man, Unlimited only has the first two issues of that Fred Van Lente Taskmaster stuff

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited March 2014

Phrasing, boom

edit: I may have binged on Archer seasons 1-4

a little

Tamin on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Did a second regular movies thread get made and I just can't find it

Also I'm gonna watch thor 2 today, I've managed to avoid every trailer after the first one and pretty much all major spoilers (I can't recall any off the top of my head) so I'm looking forward to it a lot

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    I just re-watched Thor 2 on On Demand last night. Still really enjoyed it, holds up pretty well.

There was a large chunk of Thor I didn't like upon re-watching.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Its me, I'm the Winter Solider

• Options
    I confess.

I'm the Winter Soldier.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    We are, all of us, Winter Soldiers

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    There is a dude in my Roman Religion class who has Quicksilver hair
    Quicksilver_FB_Artwork_2.jpg

It is incredible

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Why does every single superhero have to be ripped to fuck

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    What does a speedster need a 10 pack for

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Scottsman this OP is pretty great

pretty

great

• Options
    WHO COULD IT BE

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular

misandry

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

Like, it's kinda late in the game to question why superheroes are always depicted as the peak of physicality

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Like, it's kinda late in the game to question why superheroes are always depicted as the peak of physicality

Not really

We are questioning why lady superheroes have to have huge boobs and show off skin

Lets do it for both

• Options
    Well I mean quicksilver would be super lean and muscular like that because running would do that to you. He would naturally have to eat a ton and work out just so that he wouldn't waste away. I don't think he's the best example of someone who shouldn't be featured as really toned.

The thing that looks dumb is when like Magneto is shown all buff. Those sorts of people are drawn hilariously muscled.

• Options
    Langly wrote: »
    Well I mean quicksilver would be super lean and muscular like that because running would do that to you. He would naturally have to eat a ton and work out just so that he wouldn't waste away. I don't think he's the best example of someone who shouldn't be featured as really toned.

The thing that looks dumb is when like Magneto is shown all buff. Those sorts of people are drawn hilariously muscled.

Runners are lean and muscled

They don't have pecs bigger than their heads

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    huge boobs and showing skin aren't signs of peak physical fitness though

maybe they don't have to be vein popping ripped (which that quicksilver isn't really, though he is pretty bulky for a runner) but I think it is reasonable to expect a hero to be in top form given the necessity of their incredibly active lifestyle

edit obviously there are people for whom being overly muscled doesn't make sense on analysis, since their powers or whatever might be pretty hands off, but that isn't really comparable to the whole male gaze exposed skin huge boobs thing

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Because they're idealized versions of people. Just as their morals and actions are big and world-shaking, so are their physical forms mean to reflect power and grace and skill

Also just visually speaking, it looks better to draw super in-shape people than to have heroes who are just kinda okay, maybe they could run a little more often but they're not spending all day on the couch at least

• Options
    Yeah but, like, why is Tony Stark ripped as all hell?

doesn't the suit do all the heavy lifting?

Or is it just the stealth suit making him look that buff?

• Options
    Sometimes people like to work out and stay in super good shape just for their own reasons, man

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

Someone post that old iron man cartoon intro.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Male heroes are ripped because they started out as male power fantasies, and for the most part still are

female heroes are large breasted and scantily clad because they started out as male sexual fantasies, and for the most part still are

the answer is patriarchy.

Really though, it's mostly tradition, and the progress away from that is slow

also it's easier to draw a skin-tight costume than to draw real clothes, and a hero in spandex looks better if they're physically fit

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    All these things, of course, are why Butterball is the greatest superhero ever.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Tony also routinely trains with Captain America and often gets into out of armor hijinks so it is not really that weird to have him be pretty ripped.

Magneto definitely shouldn't be, though

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

Tony Stark absolutely does train out of the suit to be able to fight. Heck, in the first arc of Gillen's current run with him he demands trial by combat, finds out afterwards that the alien law he was quoting specified that it was unarmed trial by combat, and then proceeded to defeat a string of opponents anyway. He spars with people like Captain America and Black Widow, after all.

• Options
    Ghosted

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Tony also routinely trains with Captain America and often gets into out of armor hijinks so it is not really that weird to have him be pretty ripped.

Magneto definitely shouldn't be, though

Which is why ian mckellen is my favorite version of Magneto

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    I like how Walta draws Erik in the new ongoing.

He is a big late middle aged looking dude who is decidedly intimidating but he isn't all swole and shit. He's got that old man strength.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    p5fgPHm.jpg
    A good Magneto

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    I wonder if we will ever reach a point where the number of de-agings and cloned bodies Magneto has become too much, and Marvel retcons his origins to no longer be in the Holocaust.

• Options
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    I wonder if we will ever reach a point where the number of de-agings and cloned bodies Magneto has become too much, and Marvel retcons his origins to no longer be in the Holocaust.
    Nope. It is waaaaaaaay too vital to the core of his character.

Just like how Cap will always be from WWII.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    Nope. It is waaaaaaaay too vital to the core of his character.

Just like how Cap will always be from WWII.

I'm not so sure. Cap's story actually works better the more time passes, because the world changes even further so that when he's thawed out his alienation is more poignant. Magneto, on the other had, could theoretically have his origin in any period of horrendous ethnic-cleansing, but being tied specifically to WWII requires an ever-increasing number of hoops to jump through in terms of justifying how he's still alive after all these years.

Fakefaux on
  • Options
    There will never be a point where Marvel would rather remove Erik from the Holocaust versus de-ageing him. The latter is super easy and has been done a bunch already while the former drastically changes just about every major story Erik has had.

Black Widow is, like, 90 years old, so is Namor. Age is a non-issue in comics.

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.