As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'm on my tablet god damn it [chat]

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I guess the magic:tg butt pix struck me as being intended in this tone of sort of silly and lighthearted ribbing without any sort of ... lecherous? angle that I would knee-jerk worry about in any comparable photo of ladies because I have a total double standard about my underlying assumptions.

hmm.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    when i preordered dark souls they gave me free axe body spray/deodorant etc

fucking lol

it's probably the most embarrassing thing that's ever happened to me in public

this is what you get for playing video games

the cashier made a joke about how it's combating stereotypes about smelly nerds

and i said no, it's just

it's just making them a different smelly

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Now, if it was out of shape ladies at a MTG tourney wearing poorly fitted jeans with their plumber crack hanging out?

No different and fair game.

out of shape? why?

Because very single person in those photos was out of shape?

It wasn't brad Pitt and George clooney showing a peek of their manly asses.

no I mean why does that matter? is it exploitative only if the person is attractive?

yes. I think that's the difference. Making fun of Magic playing neckbeards is fine. filming fine accidentally crack is pervy.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Now, if it was out of shape ladies at a MTG tourney wearing poorly fitted jeans with their plumber crack hanging out?

out of shape? why?

no I mean why does that matter? is it exploitative only if the person is attractive?

I was saying if the scenario was perfectly matched but the genders swapped, nothing changes for me.

I could have avoided using any descriptors, but what would be the fun in that?

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    why would they give out free body spray with video games that's so stupid and i didn't know how to say "no this stuff is super grossssss"

I was in college when Axe first came out and they mailed every single dude in the dorm a trial can

their whole demographic for fifteen years has been "nineteen year olds in college who are still not entirely clear on hygiene" and obviously that overlaps with video games pretty hard

people would get axe bombed in the dorm. tape down nozzle, throw in room, hold door closed

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    all day i am like abloo abloo so tired

now i am like vacantly stares at netflix queue frozen in indecision instead of sleeping like a smart.

steam_sig.png
    this is actually a familiar smell

i've smelled this on idiots before

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I think the reason Axe smells like chemical warfare is because people young enough to buy it do not typically know that scents are meant to be undetectable except at very close range. If it didn't reek, dudes would think it wasn't working.

rRwz9.gif
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    what if instead of guys it was ladies where you could see their underwear

or a mix of both

would that change anyone's opinion?

if their underwear were visible (ie, they were wearing low-rise jeans)?

I would have an opinion on the intent and effect of the acts, but not whether they violate privacy.

I don't want somebody sexually objectifying women at Magic events because 1) women are sexually objectified far too much as it is and 2) Magic events are already hostile to women.

But I don't care if Magic events are a little more hostile to men with bad hygiene. That is a form of hostility I'm kind of okay with.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

out of shape? why?

I was saying if the scenario was perfectly matched but the genders swapped, nothing changes for me.

I could have avoided using any descriptors, but what would be the fun in that?

ok but syndalis what if it's the same hypothetical but totally different WHAT THEN

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

yeah. Their sprays smell fucking atrocious.

On the plus side, attractive tribal women will invite you to their sex parties after getting caught in their jungle traps.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    why would they give out free body spray with video games that's so stupid and i didn't know how to say "no this stuff is super grossssss"

I was in college when Axe first came out and they mailed every single dude in the dorm a trial can

their whole demographic for fifteen years has been "nineteen year olds in college who are still not entirely clear on hygiene" and obviously that overlaps with video games pretty hard

people would get axe bombed in the dorm. tape down nozzle, throw in room, hold door closed

that is CHEMICAL WARFARE

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

or a mix of both

I would have an opinion on the intent and effect of the acts, but not whether they violate privacy.

I don't want somebody sexually objectifying women at Magic events because 1) women are sexually objectified far too much as it is and 2) Magic events are already hostile to women.

But I don't care if Magic events are a little more hostile to men with bad hygiene. That is a form of hostility I'm kind of okay with.

Ironically, we're okay with publicly posted pictures of ugly dude's buttcracks because these are things we want to see less of at Magic events, while attractive ladies buttcracks are things we don't want to scare away.

yeah. Their sprays smell fucking atrocious.

On the plus side, attractive tribal women will invite you to their sex parties after getting caught in their jungle traps.

"jungle traps"

• ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

or a mix of both

Ironically, we're okay with publicly posted pictures of ugly dude's buttcracks because these are things we want to see less of at Magic events, while attractive ladies buttcracks are things we don't want to scare away.

what little I've seen of magic events I feel like scaring ladies away from them is really for the ladies' benefit anyway

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    like I'm not trying to fight about it I'm just curious about exploring our societally ingrained "rules" here

well, there's the rule-oriented question - does it violate a rule to take somebody's photo at an event that is open to the public and then post that photo to the Internet? (No, it obviously doesn't.)

then there's the consequentialist question - what is the effect of this action? Either way (boy butts or girls' cleavage) the effect is to discourage something... but what are we discouraging?

In the former example, the effect is to discourage boys from letting their pants sag. In the second example, the likely effect is to discourage women from attending Magic events at all. I'm okay with the first effect, not with the second effect

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    I think the reason Axe smells like chemical warfare is because people young enough to buy it do not typically know that scents are meant to be undetectable except at very close range. If it didn't reek, dudes would think it wasn't working.

idk

for me axe came out right around the time puberty was getting into swing. every kid had a can in their gym locker and it was a godsend. you could just toss your can to that particularly sweaty kid who hadn't quite figured out that eventually the body requires deodorant.

it was strong and wearing it beyond 16 is a sign that something has gone terribly wrong but in that 12-15 time period i'm sure it kept some serious funk at bay.

steam_sig.png
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Probably the meanest thing I ever did to someone personally was the time in grade 9 phys ed when I sprayed another kid with Axe

It was a kid I semi-regularly hung out with in that class who was about as nerdy as I was but a bit more weedy

I accidentally got some in his eye and he punched me, but it was a really weak punch and that made me feel even worse about it

Rear Admiral Choco on
    is making fun of ugly people better or worse than sexually harassing attractive people

Zampanov wrote: »

or a mix of both

what little I've seen of magic events I feel like scaring ladies away from them is really for the ladies' benefit anyway

That's just the thing, there's plenty of perfectly acceptable people who play MTG.

We just have to root out the undesirables.

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Why is every day cloudy? What unspeakable things has china done to the sky? I haven't seen the sun in 3 weeks.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    is making fun of ugly people better or worse than sexually harassing attractive people

In this case, ugly people who are not properly covering their buttcracks.

This, I think, makes them less innocent.

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular

As an ugly person,

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

oh sweet lord that would be horrible

rRwz9.gif
  • jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular

It was weird how quickly Axe went from something everyone laughed at, even among my ultra douche bag friends (circa 2002, the originating epoch of the modern D-Baggitus Neanderthalensis), to something commonly found in bathrooms/bedroom floors/beneath car seats.

jeffinva wrote: »

It was weird how quickly Axe went from something everyone laughed at, even among my ultra douche bag friends (circa 2002, the originating epoch of the modern D-Baggitus Neanderthalensis), to something commonly found in bathrooms/bedroom floors/beneath car seats.

That's the power of marketing to make hygiene products "acceptably masculine".

Zampanov wrote: »

or a mix of both

That's just the thing, there's plenty of perfectly acceptable people who play MTG.

We just have to root out the undesirables.

Lots of cool people play street fighter, too

But how many of them are at Evo, like, proportionally?

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    like I'm not trying to fight about it I'm just curious about exploring our societally ingrained "rules" here

well, there's the rule-oriented question - does it violate a rule to take somebody's photo at an event that is open to the public and then post that photo to the Internet? (No, it obviously doesn't.)

then there's the consequentialist question - what is the effect of this action? Either way (boy butts or girls' cleavage) the effect is to discourage something... but what are we discouraging?

In the former example, the effect is to discourage boys from letting their pants sag. In the second example, the likely effect is to discourage women from attending Magic events at all. I'm okay with the first effect, not with the second effect

I would add that I am reasonably certain that almost nobody in those pictures wanted their ass to hang out. Their unique wonderfulness is not beinig criticized so much as their inattention.

rRwz9.gif

I was coming to post how good it is to close ones eyes to the Star Trek: TNG opening theme. I hit my zen zone and everything was bliss.

steam_sig.png
  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Why is every day cloudy? What unspeakable things has china done to the sky? I haven't seen the sun in 3 weeks.

Do you really have to ask?

no one wants to answer philosophical questions asked by a guy who smells like Axe, okay

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Th

oh sweet lord that would be horrible

So they did the trial cans at my school too and it was an entire 3 days of axe warfare. The student mail area smelled for months. So many bombs and drive by axe-ings and door knobs sprayed down with it.

Neco wrote: »

Do you really have to ask?

yeah I feel this is well documented

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    jeffinva wrote: »

That's the power of marketing to make hygiene products "acceptably masculine".

It was that the early marketing was so stupid. Like N-Gage, dude on a skateboard in front of a muscle car peeling out dumb. Maybe dumber.

One kid punctured three cans into a soap dispenser.

no one wants to answer philosophical questions asked by a guy who smells like Axe, okay

i am become Seth, harasser of girls

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Trying to get friends and family to refer to me with female pronouns is really as awkward and difficult as I thought it would be.

tumblr_n1z1mo8LhG1t1zymgo1_500.jpg

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I made a highlight clip on my stream. I'm a webcam and shouting away from being efamous.

Or I have too much free time.

Damnit. It's probably the second one.

This discussion has been closed.