As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] - Blizzard's CCG - League matches must be complete by Sunday night!

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I don't really know what's going on in the doomguard card. It doesn't seem to fit with the style of every other creature just posing or doing something relevant in their card art
    He's shouting at you for summoning him. Or at whoever he's charging at. Anyway, the art style varies wildly across the cards, that one is the least of their problems.

This game is making me want to join the Church of RNGesus.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    So I've been playing, and sucking at, this.

The only remotely decent deck I've got going is my priest. It seems like if you can get a Northshire Cleric out first turn, you usually win. Get any of the double health or +2 health cards and it's even more likely.

Yeti and Frostwolf Chieften almost seem mandatory in any deck.

Can anyone tell me why on earth anyone would ever want to use the mana elemental (mediocre stats, opponent receives mana crystal)?

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Vorpal wrote: »
    yeah 'the dream' is pretty old.

It turns out that when you draft a shaman deck with no hexes and no lightning storms, you get run over by all kinds of guys in arena!

I just had this as well. 4 fire elementals and an earth elemental was the consolation prize. But earth elemental does fuck all when you're facing down a horde of dudes. And fire elementals do nothing when you don't draw them. Seriously all 4 hiding in the bottom half of my deck in at least 2/7 games.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    MrBody wrote: »

The only remotely decent deck I've got going is my priest. It seems like if you can get a Northshire Cleric out first turn, you usually win. Get any of the double health or +2 health cards and it's even more likely.

Can anyone tell me why on earth anyone would ever want to use the mana elemental (mediocre stats, opponent receives mana crystal)?
    I'm assuming you're talking about Arcane Golem, and it's for the charge. 4 damage for 3 mana can be what you need to finish off an important minion or the game. The mana crystal is less important as the game goes on. It's not a top tier card, but there are much worse rares out there.

Yeti is probably the best card available to you starting out, although Frostwolf is probably a little more situational. I would recommend you look at this list to see which of the common cards are actually good. I know it took me a while to figure it out.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Also, if you're playing rush, Arcane Golem is just more charges. If the only thing your deck cares about is not running headfirst into AoE and not dealing with taunts, giving an extra mana crystal is hardly relevant unless you're playing against a druid or *maybe* priest, since by the time you're dropping golem most people can drop their best AoE/taunts.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Arcane golem is pretty cheap for it's cost. 4 mana for 4 dmg pretty much. Use it early if you absoluetly must get rid of a card, and late game the mana crystal is negligible. Using naturilize against a 4hp minion is far worse

• Options
    Man I am loving Ancient Watcher decks. I wish they were 3/6 but it's great how they tell people to sit down.
    Tommatt wrote: »
    Arcane golem is pretty cheap for it's cost. 4 mana for 4 dmg pretty much. Use it early if you absoluetly must get rid of a card, and late game the mana crystal is negligible. Using naturilize against a 4hp minion is far worse
    Well just about anything is better than using Naturalize.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    MrBody wrote: »

One big thing to know about this game, health is a resource like any other and doesn't really matter until you hit 0, or they can put you at 0 on their next turn (You have to think about cards they could have when you get the hang of the game though)

Also, this is handy
    http://www.liquidhearth.com/blogs/575-a-call-for-more-descriptive-card-text

some real resources
    http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/arena-strategy/513-trumps-arena-tier-list-neutral-commons#one
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AifXEOqTcGcLdFVvWk1GRjVJTHJUaTVLcGViR1RRTFE&gid=15
    http://freethnkr.com/hearthstone-tips/

Tommatt on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Well, the hand stacking bug just lost me a game.

Would be nice if they could fix that by the time they get out of Beta. In fact, it would be nice if they would fix all of the incredibly galling bugs (hand stacking, minions not showng proper positions) rather than doing balance changes at this juncture.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

Would be nice if they could fix that by the time they get out of Beta. In fact, it would be nice if they would fix all of the incredibly galling bugs (hand stacking, minions not showng proper positions) rather than doing balance changes at this juncture.

For one: Balance changes are even more obvious not taking time from bug fixes. That's essentially just changing some values in a DB. (a little more with Tink, but not much) Even with the alleged small HS team they have, that's probably different people doing it.

And secondly they already said that there's gonna be a bug fix patch before release that is supposed to fix all those things.

• Options
    Grobian wrote: »

For one: Balance changes are even more obvious not taking time from bug fixes. That's essentially just changing some values in a DB. (a little more with Tink, but not much) Even with the alleged small HS team they have, that's probably different people doing it.

And secondly they already said that there's gonna be a bug fix patch before release that is supposed to fix all those things.

Didn't their last fix make things worse?

• Options
    Yes, then they issued a fix for the fix a day later which made it basically the same as before. They'll probably get it working at some point.

• Options
    AustralopitenicoAustralopitenico Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I don't own tinkmaster but I don't think he deserved to be splattered so hard by the nerfhammer, I never felt bad playing against it, it's just a nice bit of utility and people generally just used it to turn my yetis into devilsaurs.

Change to Pagle is good, though. Fuck Pagle with a rake.

Yesterday was Monday and I made two terrible mistakes. Drafted 5 fire elementals in an arena but also drafted two earth elementals. Although I got to 4 wins and got to live the dram of Earth Ellie+Faceless Manipulator on turn 10 I got generally ran over by faster decks. At least my girlfriend had a great time seeing me shout "bring it on, 1/3 of my remaining cards are fire elementals!".

The second mistake is that I had enough dust to craft a legendary and I crafted Grommash. Don't get me wrong, I love to play Warrior and Grom is a great addition to my decks, but I had a very tough choice between him, Tyrion and Cairne, and I think any of the other two would have been better. Oh well, at least I got to completely murder an annoying healing priest with an inner rage Grom + 7 attack Arcanite Reaper to the face. I will put my faith in the light next time, I promise.

I hate that legendaries give so little dust. I have a King Krush and a Cenarius that I never use, King Krush because I feel dirty playing Hunter with him and The Beast and Cenarius because he is a huge win more card but two flimsy treants will not save your ass, and he is not enough of a threat that he needs to be immediatly addressed, which is what I like my legendaries to be.

Australopitenico on
  • Options
    Oh, apparently the patch also changes the wording on the Ancient of War, so the 2 modes are switched around now (making it the same as Druid of the Claw regarding placement). that's gonna take some getting used to, but it's better in the long run.

• Options
    Ya I don't like the tink nerf, especially since it's just because it was being used. And a creative use for the first people to think of it.

Pagle something needed changing but I don't think he's worth playing now. If he was guaranteed to draw, it'd be different, but even as is I've had games where for 3 turns he didn't catch a fish. The problem with him, like so much they're running into, is the randomness.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    For legendaries Cairne is probably the first one worth crafting imo as it will fit into almost any deck you'd want to use. It's 2 yeti's for 6 mana. There's not too many decks that won't wont that. Other cards may be better or flashier, but Cairne I think is the most useful as a first legendary after the sylvana's nerf.

*edit* that was in reply kind of to
    e second mistake is that I had enough dust to craft a legendary and I crafted Grommash. Don't get me wrong, I love to play Warrior and Grom is a great addition to my decks, but I had a very tough choice between him, Tyrion and Cairne, and I think any of the other two would have been better. Oh well, at least I got to completely murder an annoying healing priest with an inner rage Grom + 7 attack Arcanite Reaper to the face. I will put my faith in the light next time, I promise.

Tommatt on
  • Options
    I disagree and think Leeroy is the best Legendary to craft as a first. Because generally a newer player will be playing rush decks, because they are cheaper on the epics/legendaries and Leeroy goes into all of them.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    I disagree and think Leeroy is the best Legendary to craft as a first. Because generally a newer player will be playing rush decks, because they are cheaper on the epics/legendaries and Leeroy goes into all of them.

In general, maybe. Not for me, I dislike rush decks and I'm more comfortable with mid range beatdown decks. Cairne would have been the better choice.

Australopitenico on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    It's from "living the dream". First time I heard it was on SaltyTeemo, although I don't think it exists in fighting game jargon beyond that. I've never heard it in a CCG environment before SaltyTeemo.

"The dream" is distinct from just "dream" as in "a dream draw/pull" for when you luck out with your opening hand or opening a booster.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Well, having been dicked over multiple times in a row by Tinkmaster, I'd now say I welcome his entry in chaff tier. :P

Control decks really don't need an extra piece of targeted hard removal.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    I don't know if I'd call the Tinkmaster uses creative. Using a card that's a targetable polymorph as a targetable polymorph seems... basic? Like, it's not creative if a mage turns Rag into a sheep; I don't see how it's creative when Tinkmaster does it. The only difference is that tink costs one less mana and leaves a 2/2 on the board, and if you're unlucky you get to deal with a 5/5... instead of Rag.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Ya I don't like the tink nerf, especially since it's just because it was being used. And a creative use for the first people to think of it.

Randomness is fun. Randomness in a tournament setting deciding games is not fun. The latter was what happened with Tink. Blizz could have removed the randomness to combat this. They instead chose to nerf Tink so he won't get played in every single deck so he won't decide as many games with his randomness. It also solves the problem while keeping the randomness (that they like) intact.

• Options

Randomness is fun. Randomness in a tournament setting deciding games is not fun. The latter was what happened with Tink. Blizz could have removed the randomness to combat this. They instead chose to nerf Tink so he won't get played in every single deck so he won't decide as many games with his randomness. It also solves the problem while keeping the randomness (that they like) intact.

Honestly, I don't even see pre-nerf Tink as especially random. You almost never Tink something that would be worse on the board than a Devilsaur, which makes it more or less straight-up removal. Getting a squirrel is really just an unnecessary bonus.

'Creative' uses include things like yolo Tinking your own minions hoping for a Devilsaur (which is still something you can sort-of do with the new Tink; you just don't get to choose who you roll the die against), and... i can't really think of anything else, honestly. Like milski says, it was just a Polymorph attached to a 2/2 body.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Guys, I am looking at this list, and I'm confused.

I understand everything except the Imp Master. What is the purpose of the Imp Master here?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Guys, I am looking at this list, and I'm confused.

I understand everything except the Imp Master. What is the purpose of the Imp Master here?

I'm guessing it's there to trigger the Jugglers.

• Options
    The imp master is presumably to bait out removal and to get the most "efficient" damage possible for 3 cost. If you're uncontested, it's as much or more damage each turn as most T3 drops, and it helps with Hunter's lack of ability to ping so if you do get contested you can spread that 5 HP out a lot "further" than you can with most drops.

I ate an engineer
  • Options

Honestly, I don't even see pre-nerf Tink as especially random. You almost never Tink something that would be worse on the board than a Devilsaur, which makes it more or less straight-up removal. Getting a squirrel is really just an unnecessary bonus.

You have to deal with a Devilsaur (like you have to deal with a Yeti). You don't have to deal with a Squirrel. Sure, it's easier to deal with a Devilsaur than a Rag, but a Squirrel just dies to a Swipe on something, while a Devilsaur either eats the Swipe himself or trades with a minion.

Both players tinking their opponent's Rag and one getting a Squirrel and one getting a Devilsaur is a noticeable difference.

• Options
    Am I the only one who really finds hard to justify picking any 4 drop (and most 5 drops) above Yeti? Because holy shit are those guys hard to deal with. Twilight Drakes in Handlock (what a cheesy bullshit deck) maybe, but not much else.

• Options
    Am I the only one who really finds hard to justify picking any 4 drop (and most 5 drops) above Yeti? Because holy shit are those guys hard to deal with. Twilight Drakes in Handlock (what a cheesy bullshit deck) maybe, but not much else.

If I could pick Yeti as a beatstick, I would - but my 4-drop slot is almost always reserved for something else: either taunt (Tazdingo / Argus) or a class-specific 4-drop card.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Oh, right, I forgot Tazdingo. But yeah, most of my decks have either on the 4-slot. Wonderful cards.

• Options
    There's a couple class specific cards that are pretty good: Arathi Weaponsmith, Korkron Elite; Keeper of the Grove; Houndmaster (in midrange hunter); Water Elemental

For neutrals you also have Dark Iron Dwarf and Defender of Argus. The former has fallen out of favor after the change, but it's back in the newer Board Control Warlocks, I think. The latter is still very popular, but you could argue that he's not really a 4drop.

I feel like the 5 mana has less useful minions, overall, especially neutral. You're basically left with Azure Drake as the only option. (I'm counting the Tiger and the Gadgetzan Auctioneer as basically class specific, I know, that's a stretch)

And talking about minions, this was an interesting graph from reddit:
    mePFzk0.jpg
    There is a very weird hole on minions with 3 attack and 4 health.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Yes, I don't know whether that's intentional, but it drives me nuts when trying to choose some neutral 3. Most neutral 3s will be killed by a lot of 2s and that's why outside of Scarlet Crusader and Golem you don't see a lot of them (the bear in hunters, mostly).

I would love to see some 3/4. I would specifically love a Dwarven Defender 3/4 with Taunt on a future Protection Warrior expansion. I would argue that Tauren Warrior should already have been that (drop either the taunt or the enrage maybe) but welp.

Australopitenico on
  • Options
    Indicating that the 3/4 is very likely an intentional hole, and they don't want 3 drops that trade easily 2-for-1 down. The two best 3 drops for that purpose being Mischa and Harvest Golem.

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    I still find pretty amazing value out of my yeti.
    He either draws out a hard removal (which is great for a 4 cost), or trades pretty damn well and recovers tempo.

I almost liked him more than water elemental until I realized the only reason I didn't like water elemental was due to priest's removal but he's solid elsewhere.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Well, the 3/4 wouldn't even have to be a 3drop. There are a couple of 4drops that have 7 stats and an ability, so it's maybe coincidence that none of them go 3/4. Spellbreaker, Korkron and Houndmaster are 4/3, Stormwind Knight and Ancient Mage are 2/5. The 4/3s make a lot of sense, because they have very strong abilities, so they are probably meant to be killed quite easily. The 2/5s are both pretty weak, I could see either of them having 3/4 instead without being overpowered or anything.

We'll probably get a bunch of 3/4s in the first expansion,

Grobian on
  • Options
    Right but at 4 drop you already have Yeti and Shieldmasta, which already trade down 2 for 1.

• Options
    Crocoliscs also trade down two for 1. Amani Berserkers do it with a very good ability that makes them hard to deal with. Bloodsail Raiders have an amazing ability. I don't see a 3/4 as being something very out of whack.

I could live with the Dwarven Defender being 2/4 with Taunt. But I really don't see the reason why a neutral vanilla 3/4 would break the game.

• Options
    You're a lot more likely to drop out 2 cost cards with 3 attack than you are to drop 1 cost minions onto the board with most decks.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I could live with the Dwarven Defender being 2/4 with Taunt.

That's very likely to happen if they just make more cards on the current power level, because the Silverback Patriarch is a 3cost 1/4 with taunt which is pretty underbudget (For one mana more you get a Tazdingo with +2/+1) due to the beast tag.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Best use I've found for magma rager is to throw it out on an empty board on turn 3 and yell "fuck your yetis!" Seriously, fuck all of your yetis and all of your other 4 attack creatures, while we're at it.

This discussion has been closed.