As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Balloons for Blind Boxes - FF Prime

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    This is off topic, but you mentioned it so I wanted to ask.
    The idea of the "Que Room" intrigues and frightens me.
    As I've said, the only things I know I want to attend are
    Q&A (which I think might be Friday and I may miss it anyway)
    Make a Strip (I'm hearing is Saturday morning.)
    Thornwatch playtime. (I want to play this game so freaking bad!)
    I don't know what else is going on since there isn't a posted schedule yet.
    How much time should I be allotting to waiting in lines?
    (Would it make sense to try and find a build space in the Que room because that would be where the most people would see it, and I might be able to swing some sort of a line holdy condition?)
    [then again, if the build happens Sunday would it be less busy in the Que Room?]

The other things I need to make sure I allot time for is getting my wife away from the balloons and playing some board games with her.
    I also need to take her to a nice and if possible romantic dinner Saturday night...

Alright... weigh in with your thoughts PAX Veterans.

There's two Q&A's! One right after the keynote, and one on Sunday. So, you'll be able to see ONE.
    That's not necessarily guaranteed. Prime when it was still 3-days had reduced to 1 (the friday one) and make-a-strip (which also has a Q&A portion). East has had two of them thus far, but I wouldn't want to make a plan around it till the schedule comes out and it's on the schedule.

• NowHiringHenchmenNowHiringHenchmen Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    This is off topic, but you mentioned it so I wanted to ask.
    The idea of the "Que Room" intrigues and frightens me.
    As I've said, the only things I know I want to attend are
    Q&A (which I think might be Friday and I may miss it anyway)
    Make a Strip (I'm hearing is Saturday morning.)
    Thornwatch playtime. (I want to play this game so freaking bad!)
    I don't know what else is going on since there isn't a posted schedule yet.
    How much time should I be allotting to waiting in lines?
    (Would it make sense to try and find a build space in the Que room because that would be where the most people would see it, and I might be able to swing some sort of a line holdy condition?)
    [then again, if the build happens Sunday would it be less busy in the Que Room?]

The other things I need to make sure I allot time for is getting my wife away from the balloons and playing some board games with her.
    I also need to take her to a nice and if possible romantic dinner Saturday night...

Alright... weigh in with your thoughts PAX Veterans.

There's two Q&A's! One right after the keynote, and one on Sunday. So, you'll be able to see ONE.
    That's not necessarily guaranteed. Prime when it was still 3-days had reduced to 1 (the friday one) and make-a-strip (which also has a Q&A portion). East has had two of them thus far, but I wouldn't want to make a plan around it till the schedule comes out and it's on the schedule.

Ah. I didn't know they had cut down to 1 for Prime. I was just going based off of how previous PAX East's have operated.

• foehammerfoehammer procrastinator extraordinaire melbourneRegistered User regular
    there were 2 at aus last year both were full

Yeah, Aus is shiny and new though :)

• Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    Ooh, I see I'm behind here!

Sorry Mot, I really don't check anything but my email - shoot me a note to rkhoo@!

Some guy.
  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Ooh, I see I'm behind here!

From the picture and the animated GIF, I believe the term is "a bottom" ;)

• Mot BuchananMot Buchanan OhioRegistered User regular
    ok... I need help..
    What does that mean?
    How do I shoot a note to that?

• vidvid Hot Dog Wizard PDXRegistered User regular
    How do I shoot a note to that?

Pretty sure he's asking you to e-mail him. (rkhoo@penny-arcade.com)

55ymlH2.png
    Ok... I'll try that.
    I didn't know if there was some sort of messaging system I wasn't aware of.

• foehammerfoehammer procrastinator extraordinaire melbourneRegistered User regular
    there is a date ish for the blind boxes
    PA Jamie wrote: »
    Blind boxes: When, how, what?
    Right now we're targeting holiday season this year for Blind Boxes. It's looking like each box will hold 2 pins, each in their own little bag.

hmm... I like that they're coming out... but I was hoping to have them be unveiled at EAST.
    I am curious about these individual little bags.

On the balloon FF front,
    Everything is a go.
    I'm ordering the balloons next week.
    Buttons have been ordered.
    I'm working on a free game handout that I've been kicking around for people to help test while waiting in line that I'll be making a thread about soon.
    Airline and hotel are booked.

As we get closer and the schedule is announced then I'll likely put out the call for helpers to track me down at a particular place and time and we'll get this thing built.

Since this is the first go at this... I may pull back on the reigns a bit and not go as large as initially planned. (without having seen the building before, I don't know if I can safely construct a 20 foot tall FF PRIME. It may have to wait for a future PAX... perhaps even PAX Prime itself.)

edited March 2014
    holy shit 20 ft? I figured "giant" was man-sized, or maybe two-man sized. The lobby has room for that, theoretically....

zerzhul on
    20 ft was the ultimate design. I wasn't planning on attempting it this East... but perhaps at a future Pax.
    That would have taken most of the weekend, but would have been amazing.
    I'm going to be aiming for man sized now.... I hope I haven't disappointed everyone.

• orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    You are aiming to make a balloon Fruit Fucker. How is disappointment even possible?

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
    Yeah there is no disappointment going on, just bewilderment :P

• PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Mot, if you can truly make a FF Prime for Prime and need a local to help with planning/storage, I'm here.

I'll keep that in mind Pedro. I'd love to attend Prime also, just need to see if I can swing it.

• AjaxonAjaxon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I cannot possibly be dissapointed in something I didn't even know was possible a week ago. For the Prime one lets shoot for the heavens: FF on top of the Space Needle!

• rentfnrentfn Registered User regular
    You will have plenty of room in the queue area. Large open space and high ceilings. Let me know if there is anything I can do!! This is awesome!!!

so the schedule is up only 1 Q/A at 10:30 saterday

Yeah... I don't think I'm going to make that.
    My plane lands around 8:30 I think. By the time I've gotten out of the airport, to the hotel, and back to the convention center... It's not likely I'll be able to get a good enough spot in the line to make it into the room. Especially with there only being the single Q&A, so most people will be trying to get into it.

Oh well... guess I'll just have to wait to see it on YouTube.
    And give the guys their balloons if I can track them down in person.

I'm going to look over the schedule after class this afternoon and see what interests me.
    Besides Thornwatch playtesting I don't know what else might excite me besides pin trading meetups. (Which will be a constant around the balloon if I have anything to say about it)
    The balloon might be getting built first thing Saturday morning after all..

• 00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular
    Pins....Balloon....*pop*

Be careful around it. Makes me nervous with pins >.<. haha.

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    What I'm curious about is how I got a twitter notification about this conversation... my twitter wasn't mentioned once.

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I see...
    for some reason that one didn't show up in the twitter notification.

For those watching at home, don't fret.
    Khoo will still be getting a FF Hat. I have warned him and everything.
    Building the giant FF will be the priority, but I'll have all the balloons on hand to build it that are also used in the hat version, so there is no reason the hat won't also happen.
    I really need to get the balloon shipped out to the Boston helper that volunteered as a way-point so I don't have to try and take all this stuff on the plane.

on an unrelated note, any chance anyone monitoring this thread can tell me about how to get on the list for the Saturday night Thornwatch play test once it's been figured out?
    I'm sure it's something like standing in a line... but I want to make sure I get in the right line.

• Midas244Midas244 Registered User regular
    @Mot Buchanan‌ PMed you

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    on an unrelated note, any chance anyone monitoring this thread can tell me about how to get on the list for the Saturday night Thornwatch play test once it's been figured out?
    I'm sure it's something like standing in a line... but I want to make sure I get in the right line.
    I don't believe that information has been announced yet, the spots are very limited. I can tell you I will be there as a GM, and the game is a lot of fun.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
    I got your message Midas.
    And Beker is basically my Pax East Fairy God Mother...
    Hopefully I'll at least be able to observe even if I can't actually play.

I've been following the game since he first started talking about it. I have worked in the game design world off an on myself (AEG, Anachronism, Green Ronin) and always like seeing other people's process.
    I was actually working on a game I was planning on handing out at Pax, but this semester is kicking my butt and I haven't found the free time to take care of the design side of the cards I'd be handing out.
    If I can make it to Prime it might just debut there.

Only a short wait now my friends.

The balloons are getting shipped to rentfn tomorrow along with my buttoneering buttons and some other supplies.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to pack my pins as well as how I want to display tradable pins once we're there.

I'm super excited for this you guys.

The community made this happen. I hope you like the balloon I make for you.

Only a short wait now my friends.

The balloons are getting shipped to rentfn tomorrow along with my buttoneering buttons and some other supplies.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to pack my pins as well as how I want to display tradable pins once we're there.

I'm super excited for this you guys.

The community made this happen. I hope you like the balloon I make for you.

We have faith.

Alright friends!
    Some of you are lining up around now.
    I'm super excited to get on the plane and come hang out with you all.

Day one has been awesome. I am taking a quick hotel break to do some work, and then going to the Thornwatch playtest.

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I'm at the Cards Against Humanity pan, but I'll be around after.

• rentfnrentfn Registered User regular
    I'm at the Cards Against Humanity pan, but I'll be around after.

Cards panel was amazing. Sad I missed bumping into my pin pal. The box of balloons is in the westin and waiting to be told where to go. Hope to meet most of you at the meet up tomorrow.

I've begun the build.
    I'm in front of the information booth in the north hall.

• orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    Can't wait for pictures of this

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • VaanroseVaanrose Pin Cushion SeattleRegistered User regular
    That thing is so cool, dude.

Twitter: @vaanrose

My PINS

Verbosity is my charm point.
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Oh wow, that's great