As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Motion Pictures. Now with talking AND colour!

HermanoHermano Registered User regular
A film, also called a movie or motion picture, is a series of still images which, when shown on a screen, creates the illusion of moving images due to phi phenomenon

Let's talk about movies in here!
Popcorn-cinema-001.jpg

New ones!
the-grand-budapest-hotel-international-trailer-0.jpg

Old ones!
Tippi_Hedren.jpg

DISCUSS

PSN- AHermano

• Options
    Fellow humans, I watched Grand Budapest Hotel today and it was excellent.

Ralph Fiennes is a surprisingly good comedic actor!

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    What is your most favourite movie, Hermano?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »

Have you not seen In Bruges?

• Options
    An excellent question thank you for asking, chicoblue!

I've only seen one or two so far, but I'm a big fan of the Blues Brothers movie!

How about you?

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    I feel like the talking and colors was a bad direction to go

pick one, college liberal hollywood media studios

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Have you not seen In Bruges?

Yep! I hadn't really considered that comedic for some reason. He is funny in it though, good point

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Would In Bruges be a very funny tragedy or a very tragic comedy?

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    GBH had some odd trailers before it.

Scarlett Johannson is in some weird Kubrickian acid trip film

Richard Ayoade is remaking Brazil with Jesse Eisenberg

Seth McFarlane really has a face for voice work

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    There was a time in my life when I would just put Hackers and/or Rounders on loop for hours while I drew.

I don't think I'd consider either of those to be my favourite movie, though.

Hm. HM!

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I can't wait for Walter Mitty on DVD

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    There was a time in my life when I would just put Hackers and/or Rounders on loop for hours while I drew.

I don't think I'd consider either of those to be my favourite movie, though.

Hm. HM!

I actually find it almost impossible to pick one favourite movie, it depends a lot on my mood, and I usually tailor it depending on who asks.

Groundhog Day would be up there though, Blade Runner too.

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    One of my faves because I watched it on UPN on the weekend all the time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl5Wxqx5ffs

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

I really liked Mitty

PSN- AHermano
  • Options

I really liked Mitty

I saw the very last showing of it at my local theater, which made me really sad, because I would have liked to take someone else again

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I just went to watch the Grand Budapest Hotel instead of anything productive.
    I can recommend doing the same, it is rather good!

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I saw Her, the other day, and very much enjoyed it.

It also made me very very sad. What did you guys think?

• Options
    I think you should just forget about that lady and try to move on with your life, Liiya.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I think Mitty kind of misses the entire point of the short story and is lesser for it.

• Options
    Langly wrote: »
    I think Mitty kind of misses the entire point of the short story and is lesser for it.

I've never read the short story, but as a fan of Philip K Dick I know what it's like to have a movie miss the point of a short story

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited March 2014

I don't know, I consider him an alright looking dude.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I think you should just forget about that lady and try to move on with your life, Liiya.

But Chico

she has the voice of an angel.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i've read the short story in honors english, from what i've seen of the movie (i haven't seen the movie beyond commercials) Langly is right

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

I don't know, I consider alright looking dude.

Sure, he just looked really out of place as a lead actor based on the trailer, maybe I'm wrong though!

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Like, I'd be pretty happy to look like this:

seth-macfarlane-tux.jpg

But sadly, I look like this:

Steve-Buscemi-8.jpeg

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    are you referring to that million ways to die movie? the red band trailer for that was dire, i was kind of disappointed

• Options
    I liked Mitty a lot on its own terms
    I think it should have been made as its own movie with no connection to the short story

• Options
    He just looks really odd in the Million ways trailer, also that whole trailer looked pretty bad.

He's not an ugly guy or anything

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

I don't know, I consider alright looking dude.

Sure, he just looked really out of place as a lead actor based on the trailer, maybe I'm wrong though!

Oh yeah, that we might agree on.

Seth McFarlane is a much better voice artist than live action actor.

• Options
    Langly wrote: »

I've never read the short story, but as a fan of Philip K Dick I know what it's like to have a movie miss the point of a short story
    The story is about Walter's fantasies for his life, the narrative drifts through all of them, which are inspired by something he sees or does while going through his mundane existence. He doesn't then proceed to change his life or go to India or whatever. It's about that longing to be something great and the internal life of people who know their existence is not like they dreamed it would be.

• Options
    A Million Ways To Die In The West looks like the sort of thing I'll really enjoy if I can manage to round up my old roommates and we're all drunk for it

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Grand Budapest Hotel - Willem Dafoe is so great.

• Options
    A Million Ways To Die In The West looks like the sort of thing I'll really enjoy if I can manage to round up my old roommates and we're all drunk for it

Yep.

• Options
    I don't think the movie missed the point of the short story, I just think they went for a more positive , hopeful point than the book.

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    300: Rise of an Empire is a better movie than 300. Despite having a shitty Rise of X subtitle.

• Options
    well the point is that you cannot.

I mean it's like
    Well, everyone knows Custer died at Little Bighorn. What this book presupposes is... maybe he didn't.

like ok sure you can make a version where "well maybe it's not sad and he gets better!" But that misses the point of the perspective of the story and exchanges that for something that isn't as true. Not everyone just like, hops on a plane to India to have a cool adventure. The story's point of view is from a man who specifically cannot do that. He has a wife and a job and he's getting older and he can't just go be a WWII war hero, that is impossible. Nor can he be a surgeon or an assassin or anything else he dreams of.

• Options
    says Langly, as he shakes his head and pours another whiskey

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

The Superbowl commercial for it was bizarre

All playing up how it was TOO RAUNCHY for the Superbowl while essentially talking to himself

It was the closest I've come to seeing a man masturbate in front of millions of people

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    But what about an assassin who poses as a surgeon

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    I saw Her, the other day, and very much enjoyed it.

It also made me very very sad. What did you guys think?

I thought it was super good.

And also the arc of it was totally unique. It was so many different kinds of movie all at the same time and it tackled so many things. It felt so real and natural and it made incredibly personal stories out of some of the grandest challenges to human nature we're likely to face in the next few decades.

Chris Pratt's character was amazing, Joaquin's relationship with Amy Adams was absolutely wonderful
    I was worried he was going to realized he loved her all along, but it turns out they're actually just good friends who are affectionate and help each other through hard times without accidentally having sex, much like real life people.

It was a very very good movie, but more over, it was a super well written story.

• Options
    i liked Her quite a bit too but i'm not sure i agree with what you put in the spoiler. i suppose the ending is open to different interpretation!

it was a very pretty movie. more so than anything else about it, i loved the palette of the film, it oozed a unique style

This discussion has been closed.