As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cosmos, with Neil DeGrasse Tyson - In which we learn that FOX is not the same as Fox News

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    I work in a university owned hotel, currently in the lobby is a group of 15 PHD candidates for the universities math department, and this show was just brought up. I haven't had a chance to catch the first episode, but all I got from the conversation was that, to a person, they didn't like the show because it was a bunch of computer generated space scenes and a ton of fluff.

Oh, also that you can't know the past with absolute certainty so it's not real science.

I'm assuming it's safe to ignore their POV

Man what. The great thing about cosmology is that you are seeing the distant past exactly as it happened, since the information is just getting here.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I watched it on Hulu tonight and enjoyed it. There was one part where I started laughing: during the Bruno segment when he presents his ideas at Oxford, one of the scholars says something like "Have you not read Aristotle?!" His voice sounded a little bit like an older Stewie, so I am guessing that Seth McFarlane made a voice cameo there.

Looking forward to the next episode!

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    I watched it on Hulu tonight and enjoyed it. There was one part where I started laughing: during the Bruno segment when he presents his ideas at Oxford, one of the scholars says something like "Have you not read Aristotle?!" His voice sounded a little bit like an older Stewie, so I am guessing that Seth McFarlane made a voice cameo there.

Looking forward to the next episode!

Actually.... he voiced Bruno as well.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Greatly enjoyed it, but really wish they could (somehow) have gotten something/one to "sponsor" it so it could be shown without commercial interruption, or like one 3 minute commercial "intermission" in the middle. The commercials really cut with the flow.

• Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    Thanks for the Hulu link; I'm watching now.

Tyson's doing a good job, but I wish they'd avoided the hokey depictions of the asteroid belt and Oort cloud. I expect that in Star Wars, but it could've been avoided here.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I work in a university owned hotel, currently in the lobby is a group of 15 PHD candidates for the universities math department, and this show was just brought up. I haven't had a chance to catch the first episode, but all I got from the conversation was that, to a person, they didn't like the show because it was a bunch of computer generated space scenes and a ton of fluff.

Oh, also that you can't know the past with absolute certainty so it's not real science.

I can understand it if people didn't like how the special effects made space look like it's really crowded but saying that something isn't science if you can't know it with absolute certainty is dumb. Science never says that something can be known with absolute certainty.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Tyson's doing a good job, but I wish they'd avoided the hokey depictions of the asteroid belt and Oort cloud. I expect that in Star Wars, but it could've been avoided here.

Well, an accurate depiction of the asteroid belt would be.....nothing. I wouldn't have minded tossing out a line saying something along those lines, but if you want to show what the asteroid belt/oort cloud are, you need to show something.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I don't think this was posted yet. This should give people a pretty good idea of why this ended up on Fox. I'm hoping this does well enough that we get more than 13 episodes and that he does accomplish the goal of getting society back on track with science, while busting the fucking knees of the current anti-science BS that has been gaining way too much traction.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

Well, an accurate depiction of the asteroid belt would be.....nothing. I wouldn't have minded tossing out a line saying something along those lines, but if you want to show what the asteroid belt/oort cloud are, you need to show something.

Well he did specifically mention that things in the Oort cloud were as far apart as, what was it, Earth and Neptune?

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I would love to see a comparison with the original.

the original series is on youtube, legally, right now.

As I mentioned in my post, this episode was almost identical in structure and content to the first episode of OG Cosmos, escept with the story of Bruno in place of the Library at Alexandria.

I suspect the majority of the episodes will be like this. They might skip past Sagan's comments on mysticism. I hope it is more about upgrading the original.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular

This will probably help explain the point of view of those mathematicians

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I watched this last night with my wife and I loved it.

To me it's more about igniting imagination and a love for science in an accessible way than it is about being pitch perfect. Cosmos has always had that in spades and this reboot doesn't disappoint.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    Fox has their streaming version of the episode up, and it's ad-free (at least it was for me using adblock).

http://www.fox.com/watch/183733315515

I've also added it to the OP, and will try to add them as they are released.

• Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    Thank you very much for the Hulu link. Too bad there's no way to consistently play Hulu on my Roku - the Plex player is totally unsupported and we got through about 4 minutes (son loved the spaceship...) before video froze. I suppose we can try watching it on a laptop...

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    I need a clean wallpaper version of that shot from inside the Great Red Spot.

I need it really damn bad.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Watched it with my 12 year old. During the show when they panned out on the solar system she asked to pause every time we got to a new planet so she could tell me what she knew about them and was amazed when they visualized how big the universe is.

This is now must see tv in our house.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    There's a reason mathematicians only hang out with other mathematicians.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    [...]
    +the personal touch at the end with Sagan/Tyson relationship was very heartwarming (but dude stop using your middle name to be Canadian TV show hipster, Neil Tyson was good enough for Sagan, good enough for you)
    [...]

Oh, I thought deGrasse Tyson was the surname.

• Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    If I had a name that awesome, I'd use the whole thing, too.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Scooter wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »

Well he did specifically mention that things in the Oort cloud were as far apart as, what was it, Earth and Neptune?

The thing a lot of people don't understand about space is that most of it looks reeeeeeally boring. The bulk of all those amazing photos of nebulas and black holes and galaxies that people generally see are either false color, artist conceptions, or doctored in some way. The raw pictures are amazing in their own way (when it's even possible to have a real picture), but that way isn't really engaging to laymen.

So yeah, I have no problem with fancy CG graphics used to give folks a sense of wonderment over what's out there. Because showing people a picture of a single little rock floating a million miles from anything and saying "Behold the awesome spectacle of the ASTEROID BELT!" is not going to snare potential astronomers.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Oh, and I watched the first episode on Fox's website during my break at work. The show itself was great, but the player has a really obnoxious quirk. It scales down the video quality based on your connection speed, which is fine. However, it would not scale down the quality of the commercials in the middle of it; it insisted on playing them in full HD. So the two minutes of commercials actually took about 30 minutes to play. Fuck you, Fox Media Player.

Other than that, it was aces and I plan to start recording this. My daughter'll probably love it.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I just watched it durring lunch. Man I needed that.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    [...]
    +the personal touch at the end with Sagan/Tyson relationship was very heartwarming (but dude stop using your middle name to be Canadian TV show hipster, Neil Tyson was good enough for Sagan, good enough for you)
    [...]

Oh, I thought deGrasse Tyson was the surname.

deGrasse is (was?) his father's middle name. I'd guess it's was and he uses it to honor him, but I can't confirm that.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    All I can say is if there isn't an episode that starts with Neil at Cambridge eating an apple pie I'm going to be very disappointed.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    cncaudata wrote: »
    Thank you very much for the Hulu link. Too bad there's no way to consistently play Hulu on my Roku - the Plex player is totally unsupported and we got through about 4 minutes (son loved the spaceship...) before video froze. I suppose we can try watching it on a laptop...
    I usually have to cut the power if hulu is crapping up on roku. Its a once a week thing their app is terrible

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Is it just me or are all the old Cosmos episodes being taken -off- of youtube?

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »
    Everything possible, Obama?

How about funding NASA!

Isn't the budget set by Congress?

Yes

Also Obama increased NASA funding when Dems still controlled Congress.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    The Calendar was a great metaphor, it really worked. I liked the show quite a bit.

Although it did occur to me how mad it would make certain people.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    The calendar is certainly better than the clock version. You can intuitively understand the difference between a year and 14 seconds better than between 24 hours and 39 milliseconds even though the relative difference is identical.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    While I personally loved the episode and thought that the Bruno segment was really great, it did seem somewhat out of place given how long it was. I might have placed it in another episode down the road, especially so that the show takes more purchase before really pissing off the religious right.

Small complaint, though, and like I said, it was well-handled and made a valid point. I especially liked that they didn't just go with the boilerplate Galileo story for their church-vs-science illustration.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Is it just me or are all the old Cosmos episodes being taken -off- of youtube?
    Up until perhaps 6 months ago, you could find various versions of every episode. Then they all disappeared, due to copyright.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    The original Cosmos was in copywrite hell for like 2 decades due to the music they used. I expect the same music industry execs are responsible for it's disappearance.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »
    Everything possible, Obama?

How about funding NASA!

Isn't the budget set by Congress?

Yes

Also Obama increased NASA funding when Dems still controlled Congress.

In context, everything increased in spending in 09-10.

Here's a graph of NASA funding adjusted for inflation for the past 20 years:

20130712_nasa-budget-1982-2014-adjusted-for-inflation_f840_zpsf9e28ed9.png

Saved By the Bell wasn't the only thing on top in 1991 beer me five.

I'm just hella disappointed in space exploration for the past twenty years because when I was a kid it seemed like a legitimate reality we would have had feet on Mars by now. But it seems we care more about Veronica Mars than the planet (and this is the scene in the movie where you turn away from the older person who's like a congressman or senator and he hangs his head because of the guilt trip you just delivered and then everything works out later).

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    While I personally loved the episode and thought that the Bruno segment was really great, it did seem somewhat out of place given how long it was. I might have placed it in another episode down the road, especially so that the show takes more purchase before really pissing off the religious right.

The original show did the same thing in its first episode, except with the story of Hypatia of Alexandria, and it was much more anti-religion and pseudo-historical.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    As far as I can tell, the Church was a bit more pissed about Bruni basically describing Christ as a particularly talented magician and not the Son of God than anything about his cosmological conceptions.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    As far as I can tell, the Church was a bit more pissed about Bruni basically describing Christ as a particularly talented magician and not the Son of God than anything about his cosmological conceptions.

Hush. Next thing you'll be telling me that Galileo was persecuted for being a giant dick to the Pope rather than because they hated his scientific views.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I have no problem with Cosmos being visually stunning, inspirational fluff. Because that's what sparks the imagination and gets people to dive deeper. We've desperately needed a hook that not only says "science is pretty cool," but also "science isn't evil, and doesn't necessarily conflict with believing in god."

I mean, I hope it becomes more about actual scientific discovery/information as it goes on, but even if it doesn't, even if it's just an hour long spectacle praising science as an endeavor, it's something that's vitally necessary to our culture.

And if it pisses off prominent anti-intellectuals, so much the better. Because fuck them and the poison they spread.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

Hush. Next thing you'll be telling me that Galileo was persecuted for being a giant dick to the Pope rather than because they hated his scientific views.

Galileo was a hilarious dick to the Pope.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    The cosmic calendar is definitely an improvement over the cosmic toilet paper roll that a lot of science teachers use to illustrate the age of the earth or the universe.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Small complaint, though, and like I said, it was well-handled and made a valid point. I especially liked that they didn't just go with the boilerplate Galileo story for their church-vs-science illustration.

It makes more sense to use the Bruno one since he argued on the basis of his concept of the universe and not on the basis of religious dogma. In the end he also had a more dramatic death.

Galileo's trial was him arguing that the naturalism and non-literalism of Saint Augustine should be followed and not the literalism of the Inquisition. No, that's not extrapolation, his defense was entirely on the basis of religious theory and not scientific theory. He was also a personal friend to the pope and his trial was entirely on the basis of politics within the church at the time. Galileo had even asked for and received the permission of his friend the pope to print his ideas (which was done entirely of his own volition). He also died an old man and a lifelong Catholic.

Galileo makes a good bullet point, but even a cursory look into his life sort of disproves the popular myths around him.

Dedwrekka on