As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

East 2014 Magical Mystery Tour (Wed&Thu adventuring)

punziepunzie Cookie PimpRegistered User regular
edited April 2014 in PAX East
PAX East 2014 Magical Mystery Tour of Boston!

Twitter: PAX_MMT Follow this to keep track of where we are in real time. Very useful if you want to join up midway through!

Who: You! And me. And other PAX peeps. AKA your future friends.
What: Visit interesting places in and around Boston.
Where: Schedule TBD.
When: The two days before PAX: Wed 4/9 and Thurs 4/10. Traditionally runs from 9am to 5pm but you don't have to do the whole thing.
Why: See something of Boston other than the convention center and your hotel. And do it with cool people!
How: Boston's public transit. We'll be using the T (subway and buses) to get around. You can by a pass for $18 that will get you unlimited rides for a week. (Better than paying $2 per ride!) When we leave the morning meetups, I'll be making sure everyone has a pass.

Schedule:
Wednesday 4/9
8:30 meetup at Boston Common [Park St: red/green line]
9:00 travel time
9:30 Fenway (prepay required!) [Kenmore]
10:30 travel time
11:30 lunch - Sunset Grill and Tap [Packard's Corner: green B line]
12:45 travel time
2:00 Taza chocolate (prepay required!) [69 bus]
3:00 travel time
4:00 Harpoon (prepay required!) [northern@harbor: silver line]

Thursday 4/10
8:00 meetup [World Trade Center: silver line]
8:30 breakfast - Friendly Toast [Kendall/MIT: red line]
10:00 travel time
11:00 Sam Adams [Stony Brook: orange line]
12:00 travel time
1:00 lunch @ Faneuil hall/ Quincy market [Haymarket: orange/green line]
2:00 walk over to pastries
3:00 travel time
3:30 New England Aquarium [Aquarium: blue line]

Voting:
Is all done. Thanks for your opinions.

Potential Destinations:
Now hidden behind this spoiler so I have the info next year.
Items in bold are places we went last year.
Prices listed are per each adult (and may be inaccurate until I recheck them all). Discounts are often given for children, seniors, students, and sometimes military.
Any notes about reservations are for my benefit.
Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum
What it is: 1 hour tour of tea ships and historic items related to the Boston Tea Party. Throw tea in the ocean just like Ye Olde Ancestors!
Price: $25 (or $22.50cheaper if purchased online in advance)
Hours: 10am - 4 pm
Additional Notes: Group rates for 25+
Boston Symphony Orchestra
What it is: 1-1.5 hour guided tour of Symphony Hall.
Price: $10
Hours: Wed, 4pm
Additional Info: A reservation for a group tour will need to be made 3 weeks in advance.
Commonwealth Museum
What it is: A museum specializing on Massachusetts history.
Price: Free! (I suspect donations are encouraged.)
Hours: 9am - 4:45pm
Duck Tour
What it is: 80 minute land and water tour in a repurposed WWII vehicle
Price: $34.99
Hours: ? tours don't start until 3/17
Additional Notes: group rates for 20+
F1 Boston
What it is: Kart Racing (no blue shells)
Price: $10 for an F1 license and $28 to actually drive on the track
Hours: 9am - 11pm
Additional Notes: Reservations suggested. It's a bit out of the way since it's in Braintree and using public transit will take us about an hour to get there by bus. Must be 18+ with valid driver's license. There are also a bunch of other rules you might want to read.
Fenway Park
What it is: The Green Monstah! 50 minute tour of the Red Sox's home field
Price: $16
Hours: 11am - 5pm at each hour (maybe longer, as it will only tell me the winter hours now)
Fort Independence
What it is: Fort built in 1851 on the oldest continuously fortified site in British North America
Price: free!
Hours: always
Additional Notes: You can always walk around the outside of the fort. Public tours of the inside don't start until May, but I'm asking if we can get a private tour earlier than that (which may cost money?)
Franklin Zoo
What it is: A zoo. Look at the animals.
Price: $17.95
Hours: 10am-5pm
Additional Notes: Animal exhibits include Tropical Forrest, Giraffe Savannah, Kalahari Kingdom, Serengeti Crossing, Tiger Tales, Franklin Farm, and Outback Trail. Read more here.
Freedom Trail
What it is: A walking tour of historic Boston sites. Roughly 2.5 miles in 90 minutes
Price: $13 for guided tour
Hours: 11am & 12pm
Additional Notes: We can do a self-guided tour to avoid the ticket price, but it's less fun.
Spots on the Trail:
Boston Common
State House
Park Street Church
Granary Burying Ground
King’s Chapel
King’s Chapel Burying Ground
Benjamin Franklin Statue/Boston Latin School (Oldest Public School)
Old Corner Book Store
Old South Meeting House ($6)
Old State House ($7.50)
Site of Boston Massacre
Faneuil Hall
Paul Revere House ($3.50)
Old North Church
Copp’s Hill Burying Ground
Bunker Hill Monument
USS Constitution
Additional Notes: We can take the Boston Town Crier tour instead. It seems nearly identical on paper.
Gibson House Museum
THEIR WEBSITE ISN'T WORKING RIGHT NOW!
What it is: Museum of a late 1800's row house
Price: $9 guided tour
Hours: 1pm, 2pm, 3pm
Additional Notes: Museum is 4 floors and has no elevator. Cash or check ONLY, no cards accepted! Group of 12+ needs an advance reservation.
Harpoon Brewery
What it is: hour-long brewery tour with tasting
Price: $5
Hours: 12pm - 5pm, starting every hour
Additional Notes: 21+ unless accompanied by parent
Harvard Museum of Natural History
What it is: Natural history museum. Exhibits on dinosaurs, fossils, evolution, minerals, and the glass flowers.
Price: $12 (includes admission to Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology)
Hours: 9am - 5pm
Institute of Contemporary Art
What is it: An art museum. They claim even the architecture of the building is interesting and noteworthy.
Price: $15
Hours: Wed 10am - 5pm, Thu 10am - 9pm
Isabella Sewart Gardner Museum
What it is: Art in a 3 story “Venetian-style palace” with courtyard
Hours: 11am - 5pm (open until 9pm on Thursday)
Additional Notes: $2 discount if you visit here and the Museum of Fine Arts within 2 days. Bonus: the website says if your name is Isabella, you get in free :P
JFK Presidential Library & Museum
What it is: Museum dedicated to JFK
Price: $14
Hours: 9am - 5pm
Additional Notes: group rates for 12+ with reservations
Mary Baker Eddy Library
What it is: Library/museum centered around a female writer in the late 1800’s
Price: $6 each
Hours: 10am - 4pm
Additional Notes: Home to the Mapparium! A 3 story painted glass globe. (Viewable only by tour. Tours are every 20 minutes, starting at 10:20am.) Might be closed for renovations...
45-60 minute guided tours available, but only listed on the group rate page. I may have to reserve it (if we have a group of 15+).
Modern Pastry
What it is: Pastry shop in the North End.
Price: depends on what you buy
Hours: 8am - 10:00pm
Additional Notes: People said Mike's Pastry was too tourist-y so this is the chosen alternative.
MIT
What it is: Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Campus tours, public art collection, museum (with exhibits on robots, stop-motion photography, and other cool stuff), and more
Price: many things are free. $10 for the museum
Times: varies depending on what we do. Campus tours are 11am and 3pm. Museum hours are 10am - 5pm. Art tours must be scheduled in advance.
Additional Notes: They periodically have some very cool-sounding events. Check out what will be happening when we're in town.
Museum of African American History
What it is: Abiel Smith School (first public school specifically for African American children), African Meeting House (the center of Boston's African American community in the 1800's), and an optional 1.6 mile walking tour
Hours: 10am - 4pm
Museum of Fine Arts
What it is: Museum of Fine Arts. Can't say it any plainer than that.
Price: $25
Hours: 10am – 9:45 pm
Additional Notes: Check the current and upcoming exhibits to see what will be showing while we're in town.
Museum of Science
What it is: Science!
Price: $23
Hours: 9am – 5pm
Additional Notes: The temporary exhibit when we'll be there is about food. You can also visit the planetarium for an additional $5.
New England Aquarium
What it is: An aquarium. Look at the otters, turtles, penguins, octopi, etc.
Price: $24.95
Hours: 9am – 5pm
Additional Notes: They recently finished a remodel. Read about what's new here. Group rates available for 10+. They have an IMAX theater but we probably won't be there long enough to see anything (and it costs another $9.95).
Sam Adams Brewery
What it is: 1 hour brewery tour with samplings
Price: Free! (suggested donation: $2)
Hours: 10am – 3pm
Additional Notes: All ages allowed, but if you want to sample the beers, you must be 21+ and have a valid ID. International people, have your passport with you!
Skywalk Observatory
What it is: In the Prudential building, 50 stories up, 360 view of city. Audio tours available.
Hours: 10am – 10pm
Website: www.prudentialcenter.com/shop/shop_detail.php?id=64
Sky Zone
What it is: Indoor trampoline park
Price: $9 for 30min or $13 for 60min. +$2 for "sky socks"
Hours: 3pm-8pm
Sports Museum (TD Bank Garden)
What it is: a sports museum
Price: $10
Hours: 10am – 4pm
Stone Zoo
What it is: A zoo. Look at the animals.
Price: $8.95
Hours: 10am-5pm
Additional Notes: Animal exhibits include Yukon Creek, Windows to the Wild (small birds, mammals, and primates), Treasures of the Sierra Madre, Barnyard, Himalayan Highlands, and the Gibbon exhibit. Read more here.
Taza Chocolate Factory Tour
What it is: 45 minute tour of a chocolate factory
Hours: 11am-6pm
Additional Notes: Must wear closed-toe shoes, no jewelry or perfume, hair/beard net provided. Reservation required.
USS Constitution
What it is: guided tour of the world's oldest commissioned warship afloat
Price: Free!
Hours: 10am - 4pm (Thurs-Sun only)
Additional Notes: All bags subject to visual search. Valid government-issued ID required to board the ship if you're 18+ (you can still explore the shipyard without showing ID).

Interested parties:
-Punzie (your leader)
-FahterVenom (her assistant)

-aBByNormaL +1
-Decius
-fullofgrace +1
-GhostDan
-gonexall
-macrogeek +2
-MagnusCarter
-Melzway
-PhoBaoBoa
-Ricin
-Tehol
-UnnDunn
-zelale

HI3789R.png
punzie on

• PhoBaoBoaPhoBaoBoa Squishy NYCRegistered User regular
    YAY! I would love to take part this year! :D

pPEuM8J.png
  • RicinRicin Registered User regular
    I am seriously considering coming up Wednesday just for this tour ... and the Pre-PAX breakfast and dinner

• fullofgracefullofgrace Registered User regular
    Hubs & I loved this last year. We're looking forward to doing it again. :)

I'm jessageek on Twitter and Tumblr
    PAX East Pics: 2010-2015 & Vids: 2012-2015
  • zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    I will be flying in on Tuesday and would love to take part in this!

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Beer for breakfast? Beer for breakfast.

And lunch

Really beer is an integral part of the entire MMT schedule.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • MagnusCarterMagnusCarter Registered User regular
    Starting Wednesday and Thursday with trips to breweries is an accepted schedule decision.
    Getting in on Monday so I will once more be around for the MMT!

• punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    I'm working my way through the potential stops, checking the admission prices/hours/etc that may have changed since last year. The biggest thing of note is that Harpoon is now doing brewery tours on weekdays.
    New this year: I get a little tired of visiting the same places every year, so this year I'm pulling Organizer's Choice. I will add in one stop of my choosing, regardless of how the voting turns out. Right now I'm thinking it might be the MFA because of the quilt exhibit.

HI3789R.png
  • melzwaymelzway Registered User regular
    Did Thursday last year and really enjoyed it. Planning on the Thursday tour again!

• gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    This sounds great. My plane lands at 1:30 p.m. on Thursday, so I'm hoping to catch the last one or two destinations.

Just added to the potential stops: a chocolate factory tour. I'm also working on something else, but I'm gonna keep that to myself until I know if it's going to work out or not.

HI3789R.png
  • aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    Will there be a general schedule so that we can play catch up with the tour as it moves around the city ... we get in early Thursday and it may be neat to join once we get settled

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    Always one of the things I look forward to prepax

• KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    aBByNormaL wrote: »
    Will there be a general schedule so that we can play catch up with the tour as it moves around the city ... we get in early Thursday and it may be neat to join once we get settled

@aBByNormaL - Yes, once the stops are decided on by voting, @punzie will put together a schedule (including transit times, etc.), so that people can join/drop whenever they feel like it. It's a very free-form exercise in group tourism, and a lot of fun.

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

My secret surprise spot did not pan out, but I have a couple other new spots to add to the list in a bit.
    aBByNormaL wrote: »

Yes, the "TBD" under the schedule heading in the OP will be replaced with an actual schedule that you can look at for planning purposes and the twitter account will be updated both days so you can follow where we actually are if we deviate for any reason.

HI3789R.png
  • macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    Punzie, wife & I will probably be doing the MMT on Thursday. We get in late Wed.

• UnnDunnUnnDunn New York, NYRegistered User regular
    If you guys go to F1 Boston, please let it be on Thursday afternoon... I won't get in until 1pm at the earliest, and I'd love to turn some karting laps with you guys!

This is going to be controversial to anyone who's been on the Boston MMT the last couple years, but you guys, I think we might not do Sunset for lunch on Wednesday. But clam down, there's still beer. I'm eyeing Cambridge Brewing Co instead.

Added Fort Independence to our list of potential stops. The other thing I was going to add (Body Works) closes April 6th, so boo.
    UnnDunn wrote: »
    If you guys go to F1 Boston, please let it be on Thursday afternoon... I won't get in until 1pm at the earliest, and I'd love to turn some karting laps with you guys!

I honestly think it's unlikely we'll do it at all. I agree, it'd be tons of fun, but it never gets many votes. I think price+travel time+rules= meh for most people. But maybe I'm totally wrong and this will be the year!

HI3789R.png
  • MagnusCarterMagnusCarter Registered User regular
    I think I have to agree on the Sunset. Much as it's been really good the past couple of years, for the group size we really have to allow about 5 hours and while that's finewhen you're there sat down & drinking, when planning it really looks too long.

• SausageSausage FLRegistered User regular
    I loved Sunsets, I wish I could find Zombie Killer on tap more places, but I'm not going to be there anyways and yes... it was really far away. We're coming in on Thursday morning this year and will probably maaaaybe be doing ::cough:: engoerjeforcer stuff.

3DS: 2964-9827-0033
  • TeholTehol Registered User new member
    I will be up on thursday. Would come up on wednesday but no hotel that day. And though I enjoy my car i dont like to sleep in it lol.

Just added Sky Zone, the indoor trampoline park.. Because I want to food you booze and sweet and then watch you jump around until you puke while I laugh maniacally. Why do you guys still let me lead you around...?

Working on voting form now.

HI3789R.png
    punzie wrote: »
    Just added Sky Zone, the indoor trampoline park.. Because I want to food you booze and sweet and then watch you jump around until you puke while I laugh maniacally. Why do you guys still let me lead you around...?

Working on voting form now.

Ok I'll have to get some travel health insurance...

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    edited March 2014
    Tehol wrote: »
    I will be up on thursday. Would come up on wednesday but no hotel that day. And though I enjoy my car i dont like to sleep in it lol.
    You can always check the roomshare thread to see if anyone has a spot to share for just that night. There are definitely people in town then.

.. Because I want to food you booze...
    Food you? I want to food you? When am I going to learn to proofread? Le sigh..

But more importantly *trumpets trumpeting* voting is live! I'll leave it open for... let's say 2 weeks? Ish.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
    Is the limit of only being able to select one place by design?

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    Decius wrote: »
    Is the limit of only being able to select one place by design?

Yes, bad design. It should be fixed now, methinks.

HI3789R.png
  • cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Will be there Thursday with my fiance! Hopefully we can do skyzone so I can see @chaosisorder in a giant trampoline

edited March 2014
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il8Q5ZoJELQ

Edit: I completely forgot to vote for the tramp place. Know how I can edit my vote?

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    edited March 2014
    Edit: I completely forgot to vote for the tramp place. Know how I can edit my vote?

As you seem to have figured out, you can vote multiple times. I'll probably ignore it if anyone votes for the same thing multiple times tho.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Almost forgot about this. I'll definitely be back again for Thursday and hopefully Wednesday. See you all in Boston!

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png

As you seem to have figured out, you can vote multiple times. I'll probably ignore it if anyone votes for the same thing multiple times tho.

Yeah I kinda remembered how terrible Google is at vetting forms, so I just re-submitted. Delete away.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    voted, only voted for a couple since reasonably we cannot do everything.

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
    Hey guys, just a couple more days for voting. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/14nwEUGPsG-M8uGk2hJuO4fj4UT9wS30Hc__Ibg94PHw/viewform
    Unsurprisingly, Harpoon Brewery and Taza chocolate factory are in the lead. Second place is a multi-way tie of Fenway, Sam Adams, Modern Pastry, and the aquarium.
    At the moment these places are close but not quite making the cut (read: 1 vote away) : Sky Zone, Duck Tour, USS Constitution, Museum of Science, Boston Tea Party Museum, Freedom Trail.

HI3789R.png
    Lunch places/time will be built into the schedule both days. However, if you like nomming with your fellow PAXers, consider the prePAX dinner Thursday night: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/186920/2014-pre-pax-dinner-four-days-left-to-buy-tickets-sales-close-3-23#latest

HI3789R.png
    Voting is done. I've tallied the votes and will come up with a schedule in a few days. Harpoon and Taza are the #1 places you guys want to go.
    I also just ordered some buttons. I got 50 so that should be plenty for everyone who comes to play with us.

HI3789R.png
    Here's what the buttons should look like:
    77e59705-4c3b-47c2-819e-dc74aaf637cf_zpsb85a4170.jpg

HI3789R.png
    Awesome like it ... It's adventure time in Boston

• KhaytorKhaytor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I'll be making it for Wednesday and parts of Thursday (gotta get the hotel and such). Can't wait to see everyone! :)

• Menolly07Menolly07 Registered User regular
    I think that @that_spoony_bard was interested. I probably am again. Especially if you guys spend two hours in that one restaurant with all the beer again.

Still PAXing strong. [E] for lyfe. ELand forever.
    twitter.com/Menolly07
    That was....an accident. A happy one, but an accident never the less.

Doesn't we mean we have to learn from our mistakes.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • NawkternalNawkternal SF Bay AreaRegistered User new member
    Wow this is awesome, always wanted to check out Boston. Count me in for Thursday!