As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tiny [chat] is dreaming

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    man fuck people who express the things they like to others in public, the nerve
    you're supposed to be a bitter emotionless bundle of conformity like me who derives nothing from day to day existence

i definitely have this issue

i guess i want so strongly not to be typified or pigeonholed that i try and not really associate with anything: guns, jiu jitsu, running, video games, fashion

everything has its negative connotation and i don't want some theoretical funeral for me to be 'john chu: in total, a man who loved outkast, blowjobs, and sichuan food'

it is a p stifling, world-is-closing-in-on-me feeling, that i am reducible to certain things

so i guess i only really want to show off or advertise those interests of mine which are sort of sterile and mature and hard to use as ammunition for typification of my character

nobody I work with even knows I play video games and its like a huge part of my life, I'm afraid to even talk about movies because if I let on that I thought Frozen and Lego Movie are two of the best movies of the last year they might think I'm childish or a pedophile or something

so I just pretend to like the packers and alcoholism and other stuff adults in wisconsin are supposed to like

like i don't even wanna be the packers guy or the alcoholism guy

i guess in my ideal world i know a lot about everything, i can talk intelligently on a given topic

but i'm so stingy with my interest, focus, and passion that i'm not 'given' to any one thing and no one thinks of me as the ____ guy

no posters, no stickers, no fandom, no attending concerts, no going to sporting events

because i can't like a certain thing, i must be aloof for fear of social compartmentalization

it is horrifying

you know that is interesting. i rarely find myself reluctant to mention something i am interested in or had been thinking about.

i guess it never even occurred to me that i might be pigeonholed as "that ____ guy"

Wqdwp8l.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    man fuck people who express the things they like to others in public, the nerve
    you're supposed to be a bitter emotionless bundle of conformity like me who derives nothing from day to day existence

i definitely have this issue

i guess i want so strongly not to be typified or pigeonholed that i try and not really associate with anything: guns, jiu jitsu, running, video games, fashion

everything has its negative connotation and i don't want some theoretical funeral for me to be 'john chu: in total, a man who loved outkast, blowjobs, and sichuan food'

it is a p stifling, world-is-closing-in-on-me feeling, that i am reducible to certain things

so i guess i only really want to show off or advertise those interests of mine which are sort of sterile and mature and hard to use as ammunition for typification of my character

chu

you will forever be the analinguist

you cannot escape it

and nothing else you ever do will ever replace or eclipse it

one day lots of people will be doing it. in a world where eating ass is routine, i become the night and recede into shadows

When I mentioned before you awoken soemthing in me I wasn't kidding... and it's getting worse man.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME?

I'm now forever unclean...

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Maybe there will be people who like to dress up like vintage kitchen appliances and walk around going "whirrrrrrr!"

I hope this doesn't awaken anything in me

0tg6f9yd6nq4.jpg

skippy in 6 months
    NertCam-21943.jpg

is that the brave little toaster?

it's a person dressed up like the brave little toaster

clearly they have fooled you though so kudos on them.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    PantsB wrote: »
    I don't know.

People seem to think that expressing stuff you like is some kind of sacred right, but that expressing stuff you don't like is petty and nasty.

Have some damn courage of your convictions. If you think anime is cool, fine. I might look down my elitist nose at you. If you can't live with that it honestly says more about you than me. (I'm actually OK with anime, its just not for me. But to use the example that's being tossed around). If you want to be an individual, be a fucking individual. Part of that is people disagreeing with you.

I think it says a lot about you too!

No one has said you can't dislike things. I have more of a problem with "I feel so sorry for those anime nerds they'll never get anywhere in life" etc.

So It Goes on
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I'm going to suggest Sword of the Stranger for anyone who wants to watch a movie with some of the best animation ever seen in an anime movie.

It's a work of art as far as the animation itself go. Plot is pretty standard action movie though. (Save the kid! Redeem yourself) But the voice actors (both original and dub) aren't half bad.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    you've talked about this before, I think it is odd

because we are still going to assemble a picture of you as a person that includes the things you're interested in

yes and it sears my soul that people do that

i wish you wouldn't

*seppuku*

how can I not

your interests are a huge part of you

your passions and likes/dislikes are what make you tick

yess dogg i mean, i recognize this is not rational. this is a huge character flaw of mine. i am not lauding this as a way to live. it is just a core part of my anxiety.

i can't articulate exactly what is going on here. i'm not really worried about people teasing me. who's gonna tease me for really loving burgundy boots, as i do? but i still don't want to be known as that dude. because it implies i'm a 'that dude' who you could describe.

i guess i want to be a unique snowflake and defy characterization o_o

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    ummmm

$200 is a lot yo

but but....
    booze prom

• TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    i guess i should add that what the game sets out to do it accomplishes. there's nothing really about it that feels incomplete. i think the developer had a vision and they executed it well

ultimately i guess i don't like the vision : (

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    @jacobkosh, @bogart, @feral, @elldren, @‌otheroldnerds

In honor of the 30th anniversary of The Hitchhiker's Guide, the BBC has done a web version of the Infocom game for free.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1g84m0sXpnNCv84GpN2PLZG/the-hitchhiker-s-guide-to-the-galaxy-game-30th-anniversary-edition?fapfapfap

Also I didn't add the fapfapfap bit. That was strictly the BBC.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Tarranon wrote: »
    @tarranon i have no idea why you deleted this post but hey i saved it so
    tarranon wrote:
    mostly i think it's bad because like was said it's game over once you maintain sustainability and then the only interesting choice you're faced with is "do i expand and risk upsetting the delicate balance, or maybe a disaster at an inopportune time, or do i not do that, and contentedly trim the bonsai tree that is my little burg'

also it makes you wait too long for citizens to grow up and junk and there's no mystery about what is the best way to do buildings so all i'm really doing is plopping down stuff and waiting for new children to come in while hoping a sequence of disasters don't murk me

i guess it's really good if you liked the new sim city

yeah all of this is true but i fail to see how that is bad if what you want is to trim your bonsai.

like, what do you get from the other stuff you play that you dont here?

i wasn't paying attention and i think i must have left the edit box open when i quoted something else and then out of habit i deleted the rest of the post that wasn't what i wanted to quote because i assumed it was some draft shenanigans

anyway out of other games it's mostly more interesting choices to me and yeah, more content. like, as long as you play conservatively, i'm not sure there's any real decisions to be made in sculpting your town because the needs of your people follow a very definite hierarchy (food/warmth->health->happiness->education (to squeeze more out of the citizens you have). you can either mix it up by having outside forces to compete with, ala dwarf fortress/gnomoria, where you not only have to juggle your people's survival against nature but weigh that against preparing defenses against attacks. or even something more peaceful like in anno where even in modes where combat is disabled, resting on your laurels cedes land, resources, and strategic positioning to your opponents

mostly what i miss are those agonizing decisions where you only have a few resources and you need to decide how to allocate them

maybe my seed was too good or something. i got to about 80 citizens, my last scare came hours ago when i let in some nomads without realizing how many resources they would consume, a lesson quickly learned, and it's been pretty peaceful ever since. i do like how rickety the act of expanding always seems to be, but it takes soooo long for citizens to come of age that i just got bored.

The default speed is ludicrously slow.

I never drop below 2x

fuck gendered marketing
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

because we are still going to assemble a picture of you as a person that includes the things you're interested in

i wish you wouldn't

*seppuku*

how can I not

yess dogg i mean, i recognize this is not rational. this is a huge character flaw of mine. i am not lauding this as a way to live. it is just a core part of my anxiety.

i can't articulate exactly what is going on here. i'm not really worried about people teasing me. who's gonna tease me for really loving burgundy boots, as i do? but i still don't want to be known as that dude. because it implies i'm a 'that dude' who you could describe.

look at this clown shoes

loving those boots

so burgundy

so boot. . .y

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I don't want to be an individual

fuck gendered marketing
    anime ruined my life

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    it's hard to ever reveal anything I'm interested about given how my entire life people mock me or bully me for it

like they say that shit stops after highschool and it's a load of shit, workplaces are highschool, I guess it's just good natured ribbing but I always take it super personally so why would I expose myself to more lines of attack

I'd rather the guy working across from me for 2 years not even know who I am

override367 on
    it's also currently ruining it

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

i wish you wouldn't

*seppuku*

how can I not

You already are, though.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    God damnit Organichu

There is nothing you could get into that would change your inherit chuness.

What fucking part of "You are the best of us" don't you understand?

Oh, all of it, because you couldn't be the best of us if you had a shred of legitimate Ego in you. Nobody cares if you like Adidas and Ed Hardy Shirts. If you kick the bucket I am not going to care about that stuff. I am just going to care that I can't ever make you feel terrible about laughing at something terrible again.

God damnit being genuine literally saps the life out of me

I want ant pajamas now.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    it's hard to ever reveal anything I'm interested about given how my entire life people mock me or bully me for it

like they say that shit stops after highschool and it's a load of shit, workplaces are highschool, I guess it's just good natured ribbing but I always take it super personally so why would I expose myself to more lines of attack

There's a point "dude I'm just busting your balls" doesn't cut it as far as saying something assholish to someone.

edited March 2014
    Chu's fantasy funeral, people get up to speak and they just sort of cast about aimlessly, total loss for words.

shrug hopelessly

go sit down.

Tombstone says
    John Chu
    Confounder of Tombstone Authors

spool32 on
    ludious goddamnit you know so little about fashion that you don't understand how off target that ed hardy barb is

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

There's a point "dude I'm just busting your balls" doesn't cut it as far as saying something assholish to someone.

really? I haven't found it yet. Perhaps we can do a research paper on it.

ludious goddamnit you know so little about fashion that you don't understand how off target that ed hardy barb is

I BUY MY DRESS CLOTHES AT THE J.C. PENNEYS

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    I never tire of seeing this car.

ncPOIlv.jpg

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

i wish you wouldn't

*seppuku*

how can I not

but how will I know to tell you when I find some really fly pumps you should cop

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Chu's fantasy funeral, people get up to speak and they just sort of cast about aimlessly, total loss for words.

shrug hopelessly

go sit down.

Tombstone says
    John Chu
    Confounder of Tombstone Authors
    John Chu
    Licking Butts in a Better Place

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

I'd rather the guy working across from me for 2 years not even know who I am

I've seen some pretty egregious bullying happen in different jobs, yeah. That can be pretty rough, especially if a supervisor's joining in or even leading it.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    Ludious wrote: »

I BUY MY DRESS CLOTHES AT THE J.C. PENNEYS

Payless loafers

with thick cotton laces

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    tumblr_n294p9aLu01qkrgnso1_500.jpg

The interests of @jacobkosh and @surrealitycheck‌ combine

spool32 wrote: »

shrug hopelessly

go sit down.

Tombstone says
    John Chu
    Confounder of Headstones

i guess...

he was a good guy, he always worked hard to understand the needs of the people around him. ate the hell out of an ass.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I don't want to be an individual

everything's a remix

everyone's a remix?!

• ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Man, you know you cook good chili when the day after you feel like shoving a couple tonnes of ice into your butt would be a good idea.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
    edited March 2014
    I buy my dress clothes at Kohl's because I make $10,000 a year

override367 on
    watching trump makes me want to be a better loser

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
    Trace wrote: »

really? I haven't found it yet. Perhaps we can do a research paper on it.

It'd be a very short research paper.

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

i wish you wouldn't

*seppuku*

how can I not

i :heart: my burgundy boots completely unironically

Wqdwp8l.png
    Zephiran wrote: »
    Man, you know you cook good chili when the day after you feel like shoving a couple tonnes of ice into your butt would be a good idea.

There is literally nothing stopping you

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Tarranon wrote: »
    watching trump makes me want to be a better loser

He's so cute

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I think the picture of DUE is butts, booze, and abloo. I'm so okay with that.

Well the first word I think of when I think of you DOES start with a B, but it's not butts or booze.

Oh. Right. Right on.

steam_sig.png
    my tombstone would be blank because my mom would have a heart attack if I died and nobody else cares enough to hold a funeral

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    I don't know.

People seem to think that expressing stuff you like is some kind of sacred right, but that expressing stuff you don't like is petty and nasty.

Have some damn courage of your convictions. If you think anime is cool, fine. I might look down my elitist nose at you. If you can't live with that it honestly says more about you than me. (I'm actually OK with anime, its just not for me. But to use the example that's being tossed around). If you want to be an individual, be a fucking individual. Part of that is people disagreeing with you.

I think it says a lot about you too!

No one has said you can't dislike things. I have more of a problem with "I feel so sorry for those anime nerds they'll never get anywhere in life" etc.

So you're looking down your nose at me? But I like making value judgements!

You have to pick an ethos in life. You judge people. That's what people do. If you think you're don't you're lying to yourself. If you're talking to a coworker and s/he let it slip they were into simulated child snuff pornography and dog fighting, you'd judge them. If a date was living with his mom in a double wide and had never worked a day in his life since he dropped out at age 14, you'd judge him.

Even in this thread, "so I just pretend to like the packers and alcoholism and other stuff adults in wisconsin are supposed to like"

That's super judgemental. And there's nothing wrong with that.

No matter what you like, or what you do, there are going to be people who look down on your for it. If you spend your weekends volunteering at a soup kitchen, some people will say you're a dilettante for only helping on the weekends, some will say you're boring, some will say you're only treating the symptoms. And you might think they are sanctimonious, irresponsible and cold respectively.

Do what you like. Think what you think. People are going to judge you. You're going to judge others. If you can't get over that, you can't live an adult life, at least not without heavily conforming and sticking to "your kind." If you live your life paralyzed by what other people think of you, you're allowing them complete control of your life.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
This discussion has been closed.