As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Motion Pictures. Now with talking AND colour!

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    So I saw the LEGO movie last night, I'm seeing The Wind Rises for a second time tomorrow night, and I'm probably seeing Grand Budapest Hotel later this week

Hot damn has it been a good month for movies

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I think you should just forget about that lady and try to move on with your life, Liiya.

But Chico

she has the voice of an angel.

Unintended side effect of Her is that now whenever I see Scarlett Johansson in a movie I can't help but think she's a robot

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I recently rewatched the first three Indiana Jones movies

For some reason Last Crusade didn't hold up as well as I remembered, and Temple of Doom held up even better?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I think you should just forget about that lady and try to move on with your life, Liiya.

But Chico

Unintended side effect of Her is that now whenever I see Scarlett Johansson in a movie I can't help but think she's a robot

I mean, that happened to me even before I saw Her

• Options
    I recently rewatched the first three Indiana Jones movies

For some reason Last Crusade didn't hold up as well as I remembered, and Temple of Doom held up even better?

You fool

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I have watched all three fairly recently and I have no idea how that is possible. I couldn't stand watching Temple of Doom

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    shut up shut up shut up, you fucking horrible woman.

• Options
    IIIIIIIIIIIIINDYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

But Chico

I mean, that happened to me even before I saw Her

a very sexy robot...

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Crystal Skull is a more watchable movie than Temple of Doom

• Options
    Langly wrote: »
    shut up shut up shut up, you fucking horrible woman.

Oh, yeah, she was awful! Literally the worst

But I liked everything else about it

Last Crusade...I mean, I still really liked it, and I think I still like it more than Temple of Doom, but something about it just didn't resonate with me as much as it did when I first watched it

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Watching Scott Pilgrim again, I'd forgotten how good it was.

"Well Honey, I'm bi-FURIOUS"

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Also Short Round is the best Indiana Jones sidekick and makes up for the fact that he's stuck with possibly the worst character in cinema the entire time

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    last crusade is like watching a cartoon. raiders is honestly the only one of the four i like. it's perfect though

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Yeah, Raiders is still the best

I think I liked Temple of Doom this time around because it didn't feel like a Raiders sequel, you know? It was a different adventure than Raiders was, and sure, it didn't work as perfectly as that first movie did, but it was a little more ambitious than I feel Last Crusade was.

My ranking still goes 1-3-2, but I wish I lived in a universe where Temple of Doom had taken off and we'd gotten more diverse Indiana Jones pickings

Etchwarts on
  • Options
    (this universe would of course have to include a version of Temple of Doom where there isn't the "there needs to be a leading lady" convention and Willie gets dropped off outside of the nightclub in the opening chase scene)

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Watched most of nebraska a couple weeks ago

Pretty good movie I guess

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Some of you guys might be interested in reading this account of all the things that went wrong during production of Street Fighter: The Movie

I'm honestly fascinated by any account of a project which is so thoroughly fucked

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I watched The Wolf Of Wall Street a couple of days ago.

I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting, but

that was a thing

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Temple of Doom is actually a prequel to Raiders.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »

That's actually another thing I really liked about it!

Jumping around Indiana Jones' timeline is an idea I wish they'd stuck with a little more in the movies too

I actually think they should just James Bond it and recast him so we can have more adventures pre-KOTC

• Options
    I associate the role far too strongly with Ford
    I couldn't handle the change

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i like last crusade most honestly
    sean connery counts for a lot

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    While the Last Crusade is my favorite Indiana Jones film, Temple of Doom has my favorite opening for all three films.

The entire sequence at Club Obi Wan is amazing and exactly what I want from a film.

Crooked gangsters, kung-fu minions, poison, a musical number!!!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Antimatter wrote: »

I think I've said it before, but Raiders vs Last Crusade is one of those debates where both sides are correct

They're both just such good movies, even if I liked Last Crusade a little less than I remember this last time I watched it

Etchwarts on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »

I think I've said it before, but Raiders vs Last Crusade is one of those debates where both sides are correct

They're both just such good movies, even if I liked it a little less than I remember this last time I watched it

I'd say, for myself, Raiders is easily the better film.

But I enjoy the Last Crusade a lot more.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Some of you guys might be interested in reading this account of all the things that went wrong during production of Street Fighter: The Movie

I'm honestly fascinated by any account of a project which is so thoroughly fucked

reminds me of the trainwreck that was the making of the super mario bros movie

i still love the end result, it's like they made all the wrong decisions in the most interesting ways possible

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    A scene that I still really like is the first time you see Robocop in the original movie.

The bit where he catches the keys is so cool.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I saw a live broadcast of a theatrical production of Coriolanus last night, in a cinema, so I feel like I saw a film, kind of.

It had Tom Hiddleston and Mark Gatiss in it, and was cocking marvellous.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    I saw a live broadcast of a theatrical production of Coriolanus last night, in a cinema, so I feel like I saw a film, kind of.

It had Tom Hiddleston and Mark Gatiss in it, and was cocking marvellous.

Dammmmn I'm pretty jealous right now, that sounds awesome!

I've got the Ralph Fiennes movie version on dvd somewhere, I keep meaning to watch it.

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular

This actually always bugged me a bit because there is a line in Raiders where Indy says something about not believing in the supernatural or whatever, but then Temple of Doom comes out and apparently a year before Raiders Indy was going all "Ka-Li-Ma!" with some magic rocks after having broken free of being mind controlled and seeing a guy get his heart pulled out of his chest.

Though perhaps he was drunk for the entirety of Temple of Doom and merely woke up the next day with a splitting headache, no memory of the events, and wondering why Willie was there.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    It's a really cool thing Cineworld have been doing for a while now, it seems. Must be super helpful for school teachers planning trips, where you don't have to lug a bunch of kids in to London, but can just send them down to the cinema in the evening.
    But yes, the main reason we went to this particular performance was for Gatiss and The Hid. Insofar as my girlfriend is a huge theatre buff, I've hardly been to any, and it was guaranteed to be an excellent production. Gatiss is remarkable with Shakespear's dialogue.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Lars wrote: »

This actually always bugged me a bit because there is a line in Raiders where Indy says something about not believing in the supernatural or whatever, but then Temple of Doom comes out and apparently a year before Raiders Indy was going all "Ka-Li-Ma!" with some magic rocks after having broken free of being mind controlled and seeing a guy get his heart pulled out of his chest.

Though perhaps he was drunk for the entirety of Temple of Doom and merely woke up the next day with a splitting headache, no memory of the events, and wondering why Willie was there.
    It's also possible it wasn't filmed as a prequel?

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    The opening sequence has on-screen text establishing it as a good five years before Raiders

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    There's this film I've been pretty nuts over for the last couple months.

It's called Wolf Children, and it came out in English last year.

It's simultaneously the most heartwarming and heartbreaking film I've seen for quite a while.

Also, this, among other films by the director, Mamoru Hasoda, have given me faith that Miyazaki going into retirement isn't going to be the end of the world as I know it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SlB-SpDMKI

If I could I'd post something of my favorite Ghibli Film, the Cat Returns, but Ghibli is kind of a dick about letting any of their anything go on Youtube so decent quality videos are rare.

Also, while I'm thinking of Miyazaki, I just learned that The Simpsons had a little tribute to him when word got out that he was retiring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R94Q6NhuS3A

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I think one of the most underappreciated films is Wrongfully Accused

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

I loved that film as a kid, I don't know if it would hold up now, but I remember being in a fit of giggles watching it.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I haven't seen Wolf Children yet, but I really liked Summer Wars.

• Options
    Yeah, summer wars and the girl who leapt through time (and the digimon movie) are all excellent

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

I loved that film as a kid, I don't know if it would hold up now, but I remember being in a fit of giggles watching it.

It's still great.

The simplest joke, but still one of my favorites is the kick off. I'm getting giggly just thinking about it.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

This discussion has been closed.