As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Agents of Shield] Thread is under quarantine for potential Captain America 2 spoilers!

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I'm glad right off the bat they addressed
    Sif being like "Holy shit, Thor mourned your death. What DARK MAGICS IS THIS!?"

And I like even more that Coulson was like "Since he's a friend I'd appreciate if I got to tell him myself."

I'm reeeeeeeally looking forward to the day the Avengers find out he's alive. I wonder if they'll be able to shoot something during Avengers 2 for SHIELD, or if it will happen in Avengers movies.

Also I was thinking - I really, really hope the films use our little squad in roles that would normally go to random extras. Seriously, I would love it if - even in a non speaking role - Fitz and Simmons just wandered through a background in Cap 2, or if Ward was just part of a squad getting out of cars in Avengers 2.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    jefe414 wrote: »
    My only real complaint about this recent episode
    Ward is super well trained and was briefed that Lorlei could use her voice for mind control and if that failed, touch succeeded. When she was approaching Ward, why didn't he just shoot her? I would have been happier if that was his reaction and the weapon simply didn't work even it its more powerful state.

Overall though, I've REALLY enjoyed these past 3 episodes.
    Yeah, that also threw me.
    They just went over how they could shoot first and ask questions later. I'd have shot everything that moved.
    That was pretty clear to me.
    Her voice had already started affecting him. He resisted more than usual, but he was already under her spell somewhat by the time she touched him.

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Ward is super well trained and was briefed that Lorlei could use her voice for mind control and if that failed, touch succeeded. When she was approaching Ward, why didn't he just shoot her? I would have been happier if that was his reaction and the weapon simply didn't work even it its more powerful state.

I think that the reason is also the reason for the fight at the end of the episode.
    I think a big part of the fight between Ward and May was to show just how close to an equal footing they are on, and how the difference between them is their mindset, not their skills.

May would have shot first, and shot repeatedly at Lorelie without hesitation. When she thinks violence is the answer, she uses it with no hesitation and to the best of her ability.

Ward, meanwhile, does his best to treat even his enemies decently, giving them a chance to surrender peacefully, holding out on violence until there is no other choice. He was armed, Lorelie was not, and he demanded her surrender. He treated her no different than he treated the biker moments before, the difference being that he could protect himself from the biker's attack, while being completely vulnerable to Lorelie's never occurred to him, since he had a gun and she didn't.

Then you get to that final fight between Ward and May. Ward has no hesitation and nothing holding him back due to the enchantment he was under. Meanwhile, May had that little nagging thought in the back of her mind that she had to fight someone she cares about (I'm not going to use love or even friendship, as caring about someone can have many levels). When their places were switched, Ward seemed to have the advantage through the whole fight.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Also I was thinking - I really, really hope the films use our little squad in roles that would normally go to random extras. Seriously, I would love it if - even in a non speaking role - Fitz and Simmons just wandered through a background in Cap 2, or if Ward was just part of a squad getting out of cars in Avengers 2.

I remarked to my housemate a few days ago, I'd love even something so minor as Cap kicking down a door somewhere while fighting through a building and finding all the bad guys in that room already incapacitated, he queries it and someone remarks that they've already sent in 'The Cavalry' to help out. Would be a nice moment for SHIELD watchers without movie-only people even knowing they'd missed anything.

McFodder on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular

Yeah, that also threw me.
    They just went over how they could shoot first and ask questions later. I'd have shot everything that moved.
    That was pretty clear to me.
    Her voice had already started affecting him. He resisted more than usual, but he was already under her spell somewhat by the time she touched him.

Yeah I guess that makes sense .. he did
    have the reasoning to call for backup.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    So, thanks to a guy over at Superherohype, we have a list
    of the aliens named by Sif...

Interdites
    Kree
    Levians
    Pheragots
    Sarks
    Centaurians
    Frost Giants

He said he may have missed one though.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    So, thanks to a guy over at Superherohype, we have a list
    of the aliens named by Sif...

Interdites
    Kree
    Levians
    Pheragots
    Sarks
    Centaurians
    Frost Giants

He said he may have missed one though.

that looks like all of them, yeah.

• ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Sif is awesome. More Sif plz.

SHIELD seems like a great opportunity for more minor/supporting movie characters to get some attention away from the shadow of the Avengers.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
    Reznik wrote: »

SHIELD seems like a great opportunity for more minor/supporting movie characters to get some attention away from the shadow of the Avengers.

Well, Jaimie Alexander said if time allows and Marvel wants her to, she'd love to do another episode of AoS. So, the possibility for more Lady Sif is there.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I think the thread title should for now on just be a bunch of bullshit spoilers, just to fuck with people.

Like...

[Agents of Shield] "Get off my plane!"

or

[Agents of Shield] Just killed off more main characters than the Red Wedding

or

[Agents of Shield] "My name's Beta Ray Bill, and I'm here to take it to the limit."

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Comradebot wrote: »
    I think the thread title should for now on just be a bunch of bullshit spoilers, just to fuck with people.

Like...

or

or

[Agents of Shield] "My name's Beta Ray Bill, and I'm here to take it to the limit."

"Uncle Ben Parker is the Winter Soldier"

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    [Agents of SHIELD] Bruce Campbell's Head is Now Bigger Than His Ego. Thpoiler!!!

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Agents of SHIELD: Death is a harsh mistress.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Skyenet has activated! Judgement Day commences!

And I like even more that Coulson was like "Since he's a friend I'd appreciate if I got to tell him myself."

I'm reeeeeeeally looking forward to the day the Avengers find out he's alive. I wonder if they'll be able to shoot something during Avengers 2 for SHIELD, or if it will happen in Avengers movies.

My dream tie-in would be to tie one of the movies directly into a season finale.

You know how the Avengers began with that SHIELD base being taken out by Loki? Something similar to that. The first ten minutes of the movie and the last ten minutes of the season would be basically exactly the same. Not like, "events happening at the same time;" I'm saying that where the show ends, the movie picks up the next week. For a movie-only person, it's a SHIELD team getting their asses completely handed to them. For a show person, it's seeing a huge preview for the movie, seeing big budget Hollywood special effects on their show, and it creates a pair of huge awesome cliffhangers. The first is the obvious: when the Agents of Shield fail, we see the Avengers step up. And during the offseason, there's the question of whether or not so-and-so survived the disaster, and what exactly happened.

It gives the TV bunch a chance to fail, completely and totally, and then we see what happens when the heavy hitters go up against the same problem. It could drive ratings for the TV show - knowing that there's a massive direct tie-in to the movie could pull up ratings. From the movie-only perspective, as long as it's handled like the opening of the Avengers (i.e., SHIELD fails, so Nick Fury pulls out the big guns to face the enemies that SHIELD can't match, or something similar), it shouldn't be at all jarring for viewers - it'd just be a random SHIELD team failing to stop a threat, to help demonstrate the extent of the problem in the movies opening scenes.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Nah, I heard she's pretty cool actually.

newSig.jpg
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Nah, I heard she's pretty cool actually.

Well, Death of the Endless is the absolute best character that anyone has ever conceived ever.

And since DC and Marvel have crossed over, that means that she is by extension Death of the Endless in the Marvel universe too!

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Also god damn did I love the arsenal of night-night guns. Seriously it's like someone was reading this thread and just taking notes, because how that weapon has been portrayed so far is just awesome - the gradual development and increase and adaptation. The heavy hitter for taking down supers. I squeed.[/spoiler]
    I was amused by this. Then we have them all disappearing after they took down those cops. Made the scene feel a little out of place when Coulson didn't say "Oh yeah Fitz, by the way..." and ICE him. At least Ward brought the real gun into the Ward/May fight.

Additionally...it was rather annoying that we send Ward around back, who is prime domination material, rather than say May who isn't.
    Shadowen wrote: »
    So I'm not against the "sexy lady entrances men" power as a rule. I just wish this one had been dealt with a bit better. (very mild spoilers for the new ep)
    The "it doesn't work on women?" "no, only men" thing is just weird. It's based on desire (though implications are it's not solely sexual), so why doesn't it work on lesbians? Does it work on gay men? If not, a line from Sif about "it doesn't work on those women who favor women and it does on men who favor men" would make that clear.

It's...for lack of a better term, it's heteronormative, even more than most network TV.

Or am I just being oversensitive?

I don't see it, I certainly don't think it's more hetronormative than general network TV. I wouldn't say it's better by any means but I don't think it's any worse than normal.
    Very simple explanation: It's about what Lorelei knows how to control rather than what the controlled person wants. The person's biological inclinations/choices/cultural conditioning all fall by the wayside because the magic is overwriting their normal mental processes.

Alternatively: the magic enters through the penis.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Shadowhope wrote: »

My dream tie-in would be to tie one of the movies directly into a season finale.

You know how the Avengers began with that SHIELD base being taken out by Loki? Something similar to that. The first ten minutes of the movie and the last ten minutes of the season would be basically exactly the same. Not like, "events happening at the same time;" I'm saying that where the show ends, the movie picks up the next week. For a movie-only person, it's a SHIELD team getting their asses completely handed to them. For a show person, it's seeing a huge preview for the movie, seeing big budget Hollywood special effects on their show, and it creates a pair of huge awesome cliffhangers. The first is the obvious: when the Agents of Shield fail, we see the Avengers step up. And during the offseason, there's the question of whether or not so-and-so survived the disaster, and what exactly happened.

It gives the TV bunch a chance to fail, completely and totally, and then we see what happens when the heavy hitters go up against the same problem. It could drive ratings for the TV show - knowing that there's a massive direct tie-in to the movie could pull up ratings. From the movie-only perspective, as long as it's handled like the opening of the Avengers (i.e., SHIELD fails, so Nick Fury pulls out the big guns to face the enemies that SHIELD can't match, or something similar), it shouldn't be at all jarring for viewers - it'd just be a random SHIELD team failing to stop a threat, to help demonstrate the extent of the problem in the movies opening scenes.

Funny, this feels to me like the WORST thing they could do. The show is already having trouble finding it's own footing, waffling between mediocre tie-in stories and lackluster original stories. Going "Okay, the TV show crew failed to save the day, now here's the team everyone REALLY wants to see." would be, to me, the final nail in the coffin that AoS is just an average (or worse) procedural that's propped up because of the movie series it's associated with.

AoS needs to be able to stand on it's own two feet. Certainly events can be informed by what's going on in the larger universe, but I'd rather it be a good show on it's own merits than the TV show people watch while waiting around for the next film.

• TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    The scene with the holograms...

Coulson: You know how to use this thing?
    Sif: Asgard mastered Windows 7 millennia ago. We hold the secrets of command lines! We have the service packs. All of them. We have service packs you can't even imagine!

I'm sure Asgard knows how to make hologram thingies, but that doesn't mean they know the interface of that specific model.

TeaSpoon on
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    The show is already having trouble finding it's own footing, waffling between mediocre tie-in stories and lackluster original stories.

AoS needs to be able to stand on it's own two feet.
    If you don't think AoS is standing on its own two feet - especially after the last five or so episodes - I don't think anything it does will change your mind.

I think you're reading a bit too much into that.

It's a touch display, which are typically designed for easy use via manual manipulation. Asgard probably had something similar at some point. Obviously she wouldn't know the ins-and-outs of the system, but "touch here, move here" is a really easy concept to get.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    I think you're reading a bit too much into that.

It's a touch display, which are typically designed for easy use via manual manipulation. Asgard probably had something similar at some point. Obviously she wouldn't know the ins-and-outs of the system, but "touch here, move here" is a really easy concept to get.

Unless you're Coulson or Ward trying to use the holo-table.

Not only that, but Asgardians are long lived. It could be she used a similar system 700 years ago.

PSN|AspectVoid
    The show is already having trouble finding it's own footing, waffling between mediocre tie-in stories and lackluster original stories.

AoS needs to be able to stand on it's own two feet.
    If you don't think AoS is standing on its own two feet - especially after the last five or so episodes - I don't think anything it does will change your mind.

Better writing and making the characters interesting would be a big start.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    so i guess we're just ignoring the end of the episode then?
    who is May leaving message logs for? Fury? Hand maybe? the pilot made it pretty clear that SHIELD doesn't want Coulson asking questions, so what will it mean for the team now that SHIELD knows that he knows.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    TeaSpoon wrote: »

Sif: Asgard mastered Windows 7 millennia ago. We hold the secrets of command lines! We have the service packs. All of them. We have service packs you can't even imagine!

Coulson: What about Tech Support?
    Sif: We outsource to India.

Wraith260 wrote: »
    who is May leaving message logs for? Fury? Hand maybe? the pilot made it pretty clear that SHIELD doesn't want Coulson asking questions, so what will it mean for the team now that SHIELD knows that he knows.
    Fury or Hill would be my guess. Hill, because she obviously knows a certain amount of what happened; signed off on each of Coulson's recruits; works well as a "movie connection"; and the actress primarily works in television.

So May leaves her a message -> May gets caught -> they bring Hill in for questioning -> Coulson / audience gets more information.

Tamin wrote: »
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Fury or Hill would be my guess. Hill, because she obviously knows a certain amount of what happened; signed off on each of Coulson's recruits; works well as a "movie connection"; and the actress primarily works in television.

So May leaves her a message -> May gets caught -> they bring Hill in for questioning -> Coulson / audience gets more information.
    i completely forgot about Hill, despite mentioning the pilot in my post. that would make a lot of sense yeah.

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

Sif: We outsource to Indigard.

FTFY

hippofant wrote: »

Sif: We outsource to Indigard.

FTFY

that's why the frost giants are so pissed off, all their jobs were outsourced.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Shadowhope wrote: »

I actually like the idea of "events happening at the same time" quite a bit. You could craft a story that had serious personal repercussions for the AoS cast members, maybe even involving a small-scale success at the same time as large-scale defeat. Something where X has to save Y against horrific odds, or sacrificing the many to save the few. In the show, we cheer for the success. In the movie, we see the upshot of that "success" and the ramifications of the defeat. You could have an amazing small-scale story of success against the backdrop of the Avengers opening, and it would be an amazing tie-in.

Actually having big-budget effects and actors in the season finale of the show would be awful, though. It wouldn't make the show more awesome, it would highlight the shortcomings of what is, honestly, some pretty good mid-budget effects work for a TV show. It'd be like taking a talented group of community theater actors and swapping out all of their roles for Tony winners for act two before going back to the community actors for act three. All you're doing is making act three really underwhelming.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    As to the last ep stinger:
    I'm guessing she was talking to Fury or someone connected, but I would love for May to actually be an antagonist. It would be awesome, make for great character interactions, and also be very Whedony.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Comradebot wrote: »

Like...

or

or

You know, I am intrigued by all of those possibilities.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    So this was an excellent episode. And it was an amazing Coulson episode. And there were a whole bunch of little touches which were great.
    I just love when Coulson realizes Lorelai has got to Fitz, and just rolls with it mid-sentence.

Holy hell this episode was pretty tied into Thor 2. On orders of Odin that she be brought back alive ay?

Skye has become pretty cool. Seriously - alien drug saves your life, the correct reaction is "well I'm alive and not dead, so seems like it was a good idea". I am pro this-world-view, but I also get how Coulson is at his.

The Ward and May fight was pretty brutally choreographed. Notable that Ward won it too. They're definitely getting way better at these.

Also god damn did I love the arsenal of night-night guns. Seriously it's like someone was reading this thread and just taking notes, because how that weapon has been portrayed so far is just awesome - the gradual development and increase and adaptation. The heavy hitter for taking down supers. I squeed.

EDIT: Also I loved when Sif beamed down that their response was to face-match her and realize she's obviously a friendly. It was a great moment of SHIELD being beurocratically awesome.
    ward didnt win it, she had da boolets

obF2Wuw.png
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I enjoyed this episode, but I think it showed pretty well why superhero types can't drop in every week
    If not for the fact that Lorelai was able to mind control humans to give the team someone they could fight against, they were really just acting as a delivery service for Sif since she was realistically the only one with a chance of taking out the threat. I don't want to watch Marvel's Chauffeurs of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • khainkhain Registered User regular
    So this was an excellent episode. And it was an amazing Coulson episode. And there were a whole bunch of little touches which were great.
    I just love when Coulson realizes Lorelai has got to Fitz, and just rolls with it mid-sentence.

Holy hell this episode was pretty tied into Thor 2. On orders of Odin that she be brought back alive ay?

Skye has become pretty cool. Seriously - alien drug saves your life, the correct reaction is "well I'm alive and not dead, so seems like it was a good idea". I am pro this-world-view, but I also get how Coulson is at his.

The Ward and May fight was pretty brutally choreographed. Notable that Ward won it too. They're definitely getting way better at these.

Also god damn did I love the arsenal of night-night guns. Seriously it's like someone was reading this thread and just taking notes, because how that weapon has been portrayed so far is just awesome - the gradual development and increase and adaptation. The heavy hitter for taking down supers. I squeed.

EDIT: Also I loved when Sif beamed down that their response was to face-match her and realize she's obviously a friendly. It was a great moment of SHIELD being beurocratically awesome.
    I don't know much about guns, but shouldn't one bullet still have been in the chamber?

khain wrote: »

I don't know much about guns, but shouldn't one bullet still have been in the chamber?

Yup. That was a plot hole.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

shes mulan mulan is basically magic

obF2Wuw.png
  • VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Reznik wrote: »

Well, Jaimie Alexander said if time allows and Marvel wants her to, she'd love to do another episode of AoS. So, the possibility for more Lady Sif is there.

She needs to allow Fandral tag along with her next time.

steam_sig.png
    AspectVoid wrote: »

Yup. That was a plot hole.

"narrative hand-wave"

"oversight"

"ignored for plot reasons"

not "plot hole"

This discussion has been closed.