As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Agents of Shield] Thread is under quarantine for potential Captain America 2 spoilers!

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    khain wrote: »
    So this was an excellent episode. And it was an amazing Coulson episode. And there were a whole bunch of little touches which were great.
    I just love when Coulson realizes Lorelai has got to Fitz, and just rolls with it mid-sentence.

Holy hell this episode was pretty tied into Thor 2. On orders of Odin that she be brought back alive ay?

Skye has become pretty cool. Seriously - alien drug saves your life, the correct reaction is "well I'm alive and not dead, so seems like it was a good idea". I am pro this-world-view, but I also get how Coulson is at his.

The Ward and May fight was pretty brutally choreographed. Notable that Ward won it too. They're definitely getting way better at these.

Also god damn did I love the arsenal of night-night guns. Seriously it's like someone was reading this thread and just taking notes, because how that weapon has been portrayed so far is just awesome - the gradual development and increase and adaptation. The heavy hitter for taking down supers. I squeed.

EDIT: Also I loved when Sif beamed down that their response was to face-match her and realize she's obviously a friendly. It was a great moment of SHIELD being beurocratically awesome.
    ward didnt win it, she had da boolets
    I don't know much about guns, but shouldn't one bullet still have been in the chamber?

Yup. That was a plot hole.

"narrative hand-wave"

"oversight"

"ignored for plot reasons"

not "plot hole"

Nope, see, a hole opened up in the chamber and sucked away the bullet. Thus, a plot hole.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    The scene with the holograms...

Coulson: You know how to use this thing?
    Sif: Asgard mastered Windows 7 millennia ago. We hold the secrets of command lines! We have the service packs. All of them. We have service packs you can't even imagine!

Coulson: What about Tech Support?
    Sif: We outsource to India.

I would image in the dwarves of Nidavellir handle their tech support, especially when it involves tech being smashed. They break their mugs when they're happy, imagine what they do to their technology when it freezes! After they've defeated the frost giants, that is.

steam_sig.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    McFodder wrote: »
    I enjoyed this episode, but I think it showed pretty well why superhero types can't drop in every week
    If not for the fact that Lorelai was able to mind control humans to give the team someone they could fight against, they were really just acting as a delivery service for Sif since she was realistically the only one with a chance of taking out the threat. I don't want to watch Marvel's Chauffeurs of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Super-heroes aren't showing up every week. Did you have this problem when
    Mike
    showed up
    before he got Deathlok'd?
    SHIELD wasn't Sif's delivery service, they were her support. When you have a big gun on the filed you let them tackle the threat. It'd have made no sense to let SHIELD do all the dirty work while Sif is there in person. SHIELD neutralized and distracted Lorelei's minions outside and made sure all the exits were locked down - not that it stopped Lorelei, she is an Asgardian. Sif can't be everywhere, she had to be inside to tackle Lorelei which she almost did until her plot device was broken.

SHIELD weren't Sif's chauffeurs. Certainly not in Lorelei's plan heist. Brainwashed Ward proved to live up to his rep by taking her out of the equation, getting Fitz under her thumb and keeping the team isolated. Without Coulson's quick thinking Sif would have had a tougher experience.

This show is meant to be about the ordinary people in a changing world with gods and super-soldiers. That's the entire point of the show. Their interactions with Sif was enjoyable.

Harry Dresden on
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    It would have been funny if they had a scene with Sif like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hShY6xZWVGE

"A computer that can't generate solid light constructs by reading my thought waves? How quaint."

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I enjoyed this episode, but I think it showed pretty well why superhero types can't drop in every week
    If not for the fact that Lorelai was able to mind control humans to give the team someone they could fight against, they were really just acting as a delivery service for Sif since she was realistically the only one with a chance of taking out the threat. I don't want to watch Marvel's Chauffeurs of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Super-heroes aren't showing up every week. Did you have this problem when
    Mike
    showed up
    before he got Deathlok'd?
    SHIELD wasn't Sif's delivery service, they were her support. When you have a big gun on the filed you let them tackle the threat. It'd have made no sense to let SHIELD do all the dirty work while Sif is there in person. SHIELD neutralized and distracted Lorelei's minions outside and made sure all the exits were locked down - not that it stopped Lorelei, she is an Asgardian. Sif can't be everywhere, she had to be inside to tackle Lorelei which she almost did until her plot device was broken.

SHIELD weren't Sif's chauffeurs. Certainly not in Lorelei's plan heist. Brainwashed Ward proved to live up to his rep by taking her out of the equation, getting Fitz under her thumb and keeping the team isolated. Without Coulson's quick thinking Sif would have had a tougher experience.

This show is meant to be about the ordinary people in a changing world with gods and super-soldiers. That's the entire point of the show. Their interactions with Sif was enjoyable.

Even in the comics, isn't that the point of SHIELD? They're a weird highly equipped, technologically advanced, administrative, bureaucratic, paramilitary, black ops force.

hippofant on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    I think you're reading a bit too much into that.

It's a touch display, which are typically designed for easy use via manual manipulation. Asgard probably had something similar at some point. Obviously she wouldn't know the ins-and-outs of the system, but "touch here, move here" is a really easy concept to get.

Unless you're Coulson or Ward trying to use the holo-table.

Well yeah, but that was hilarious.

steam_sig.png
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    khain wrote: »
    So this was an excellent episode. And it was an amazing Coulson episode. And there were a whole bunch of little touches which were great.
    I just love when Coulson realizes Lorelai has got to Fitz, and just rolls with it mid-sentence.

Holy hell this episode was pretty tied into Thor 2. On orders of Odin that she be brought back alive ay?

Skye has become pretty cool. Seriously - alien drug saves your life, the correct reaction is "well I'm alive and not dead, so seems like it was a good idea". I am pro this-world-view, but I also get how Coulson is at his.

The Ward and May fight was pretty brutally choreographed. Notable that Ward won it too. They're definitely getting way better at these.

Also god damn did I love the arsenal of night-night guns. Seriously it's like someone was reading this thread and just taking notes, because how that weapon has been portrayed so far is just awesome - the gradual development and increase and adaptation. The heavy hitter for taking down supers. I squeed.

EDIT: Also I loved when Sif beamed down that their response was to face-match her and realize she's obviously a friendly. It was a great moment of SHIELD being beurocratically awesome.
    ward didnt win it, she had da boolets
    I don't know much about guns, but shouldn't one bullet still have been in the chamber?

Yup. That was a plot hole.

"narrative hand-wave"

"oversight"

"ignored for plot reasons"

not "plot hole"

Nope, see, a hole opened up in the chamber and sucked away the bullet. Thus, a plot hole.

He wasn't shown chambering a round before they got into a fight, and I don't think the gun fired any shots during it (unless I missed that), so there shouldn't be a bullet in the chamber.

• ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Entirely possible that, while stripping the clip out without Ward noticing, she also popped the bullet out of the chamber without him noticing. And it would've just been kinda silly for her to go "And I also took the one out of the chamber" when, very clearly, it was out of the chamber and would've been a really dumb line to put into the episode.

• ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Also, gotta think...

We're gonna get more Samuel L. Jackson in the future. It's not like the man turns down work (have you seen Snakes on a Plane?), and the plot definitely seems to be leading towards Coulson confronting him personally over the whole resurrection. Maybe that won't be the case due to budget reasons, but for the purpose of storytelling (and general awesome) it'd be great to have him show up at the end of the season.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Comradebot wrote: »
    Also, gotta think...

We're gonna get more Samuel L. Jackson in the future. It's not like the man turns down work (have you seen Snakes on a Plane?), and the plot definitely seems to be leading towards Coulson confronting him personally over the whole resurrection. Maybe that won't be the case due to budget reasons, but for the purpose of storytelling (and general awesome) it'd be great to have him show up at the end of the season.

Hell, he's doing Capital One commercials. The guy will do just about anything.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Also, gotta think...

I'm motherfucking tired of all these motherfucking SHIELDs on the motherfucking plane.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Also, gotta think...

I still think whatever Fury's reason for hiding in AoS is directly tied to the events in Cap2.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Super-heroes aren't showing up every week.

I don't think he was saying it WAS the case, but why it can't be the case.

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Man, that funny fake Bruce Campbell spoiler headline just made me think...

I want Michael Westen and Sam Axe on SHIELD. Just one episode. Quickly. Don't even give their names. Just hire Jeffery Donovan and Bruce Campbell (and Coby Bell if you can) to just walk in, do something awesome, and leave.

Pleeeeeeeease.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Phil Coulson
    The Client

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Man, that funny fake Bruce Campbell spoiler headline just made me think...

I want Michael Westen and Sam Axe on SHIELD. Just one episode. Quickly. Don't even give their names. Just hire Jeffery Donovan and Bruce Campbell (and Coby Bell if you can) to just walk in, do something awesome, and leave.

Pleeeeeeeease.

If Bruce Campbell appeared as Chuck Finley, that'd be awesome.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    guys, we've already had this discussion and it was agreed that Bruce Campbell will play MODOK.

edited March 2014
    You can't have the burn notice team unless Fi is with them. Just sayin'.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    I always wanted the Burn Notice crew to have a run-in with Miami Metro Homicide, but I would take a Shield crossover in a heartbeat.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    I am now imaging Coulson's team going rogue post-Winter Soldier.

My name is Gregg Coulson, and I used to be a spy, until...
    *Helicarrier Explodes*

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I wonder if they considered making this episode a two parter. It would have been interesting if this episode had ended in a cliffhanger with Lorelei taking over an entire SHIELD team or infiltrating a SHIELD base. That would get the team more involved while delving more into how SHIELD operated and balancing the relationship with Sif more by putting her in a situation where she would depend a lot more on the team's expertise.

KingofMadCows on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Also, gotta think...

Plus that Matrix Super Bowl Commercial!

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

*Helicarrier Explodes*

Gregg?

Phil.

*Helicarrier Explodes*

Gregg?

Phil.

You have it all wrong!

His name is Agent...

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

*Helicarrier Explodes*

Gregg?

Phil.

You have it all wrong!

His name is Agent...

Son of Coul.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    So how 'bout that SHIELD show, huh? Anyone else hoping for a Guardians of the Galaxy crossover?

think we might have to wait for that one, isn't GotG meant to be pretty separate from the Earth based stuff? yeah there's the connection with the Infinity Gems, but i don't think we should be expecting the Guardians to show up on Earth just yet. also, unlike with Thor 2 and Cap 2 the show may not be airing when GotG releases. by which i mean season 2 may not have started yet.
    As was pointed out in the other Marvel threads, someone had to steal Starlord from earth when he was a kid. So the thinking is that either the pre-events or post-events will make it into SHIELD somehow.

However, I'm mixed on this. I really don't want SHIELD to become the repository for every MCU in joke and reference.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    However, I'm mixed on this. I really don't want SHIELD to become the repository for every MCU in joke and reference.
    It's a good place to do back story that fans will enjoy, make good fiction, but aren't necessary to a 2 hour movie.

• jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    I don't see why Coulson is freaking out. I'd be grateful.

Watching the Cap 2 red carpet thing

the guy who plays Agent Sitwell says that (at least one of ) his scenes in the film takes place immediately after he leaves his meeting with Coulson.

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    jeffinva wrote: »
    I don't see why Coulson is freaking out. I'd be grateful.

It might partially be because it is him getting an experimental treatment against his wishes, and then everyone trying to hide it from him.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

the guy who plays Agent Sitwell says that (at least one of ) his scenes in the film takes place immediately after he leaves his meeting with Coulson.

I think he meant his filming schedule, not the story timeline.

edited March 2014

I think he meant his filming schedule, not the story timeline.

maybe

didn't really come across that way, though I admit to a certain amount of bias

edit: wait, no, that doesn't make any sense.

At least as far as I understand TV filming, you don't film an episode more than (and often much less than) a month before it airs. Given that Cap 2 was already in post-production in December 2013, it would be nonsensical for him to mean "yeah, I filmed an episode with Coulson sometime in February 2014, then went back in time to film my scene in Cap 2".

Tamin on
  • CalescentCalescent Registered User regular
    Even though part of this discussion has been unspoilered, I'm going to spoil this anyway because this is my first post and I don't want to step on any toes.
    I found it interesting that they made a point of referencing Ward's sensitivity to weapon weight when he applauded Fitz for getting rid of an extra ounce on one of the Night-Night guns (and his concern about the weight had been introduced in an earlier episode). I would think that Ward would have noticed that his current weapon was lighter after May removed the clip, even in the midst of a fight. Could this be a sign that he was still attempting to resist Lorelei's influence, even if only subconsciously?

Steam: Calidaria
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Also, gotta think...

Yeah, but they're Quicksilver commercials.
    I liked the fact that the team that Coulson used in LV was all-female. Learning!

sig.gif
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Calescent wrote: »
    Even though part of this discussion has been unspoilered, I'm going to spoil this anyway because this is my first post and I don't want to step on any toes.
    I found it interesting that they made a point of referencing Ward's sensitivity to weapon weight when he applauded Fitz for getting rid of an extra ounce on one of the Night-Night guns (and his concern about the weight had been introduced in an earlier episode). I would think that Ward would have noticed that his current weapon was lighter after May removed the clip, even in the midst of a fight. Could this be a sign that he was still attempting to resist Lorelei's influence, even if only subconsciously?

That's a very interesting point that I didn't think of.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I think it was just a sign that TV logic is a thing that happens. I really doubt the gun thing was a subtle allusion to his trying to resist and not just storytelling convenience.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I think it was just a sign that TV logic is a thing that happens. I really doubt the gun thing was a subtle allusion to his trying to resist and not just storytelling convenience.

Even if it's accidental, they should roll with it.

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited March 2014

I think the original sensitivity to weapon's weight was Ward being a douche and once he realized that everybody thought of him as a asshole he pretended that it was some kind of test. His claim that it was a ounce to heavy was just him not liking the Night-Night gun. When he complimented Fitz was him trying to save face for his earlier douchiness. Ward can't actually tell the difference in 1 ounce of weight at all.

Also if Ward is
    in love with somebody on the plane that isn't May, then the obvious choice is either Skye or Simmons. When has Whedon ever gone obvious on us? Either Fitz or Coulson could have secret Valentine! My money is on Fitz. For those doubting, Bisexual is a part of LGBT(its the B in LGBT).

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

I think the original sensitivity to weapon's weight was Ward being a douche and once he realized that everybody thought of him as a asshole he pretended that it was some kind of test. His claim that it was a ounce to heavy was just him not liking the Night-Night gun. When he complimented Fitz was him trying to save face for his earlier douchiness. Ward can't actually tell the difference in 1 ounce of weight at all.

Also if Ward is
    in love with somebody on the plane that isn't May, then the obvious choice is either Skye or Simmons. When has Whedon ever gone obvious on us? Either Fitz or Coulson could have secret Valentine! My money is on Fitz. After all Bisexual is a part of LGBT(its the B in LGBT B) ).
    Skye's obvious, maybe too obvious. Not that I blame him. It being Simmons is going to make Triplett jealous when he shows up next. Jed Whedon is more obvious than Joss. No one switched sexual preferences on Spartacus or Dollhouse that I recall. There was one exception, Agron.

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Honestly I kind of think it's gonna be
    someone from his past we probably don't know about yet. Which would probably mean we're not going to find out this season.

This discussion has been closed.