As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFX/X-2 HD] This is my remastered story (out March 18)

• HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »
    Radius wrote: »
    Step one to playing Blitzball: Release/bench Wakka and Tidus so they don't break the game.

Wakka becomes shockingly mediocre at high levels

Tidus is relatively good throughout

If you take Wakka through Auron's sphere grid after getting his status debuffs, he can become a god. Hitting like a ton of bricks while blinding, lowering attack/defense, and slowing enemies is awesome.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    Step one to playing Blitzball: Release/bench Wakka and Tidus so they don't break the game.

If you take Wakka through Auron's sphere grid after getting his status debuffs, he can become a god. Hitting like a ton of bricks while blinding, lowering attack/defense, and slowing enemies is awesome.

Yeah, but you don't get to blind/slow opposing Blitzball players, which is what he was thinking of.

Hunter wrote: »

Yeah, but you don't get to blind/slow opposing Blitzball players, which is what he was thinking of.

Well all of the Aurochs suck at Blitzball, I didn't even consider using them for that.

As long as you had Tidus and Brother, you would win games by shear offensive power.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Nimrook is the only absolutely essential Blitzball player. Never pass up a chance to get him or re-sign him.

joshofalltrades on
    Is he the goalie for the Al Bhed team. The Psyches or whatever?

If I recall my strategy guide correctly, the Aurochs become non-terrible at high level, and Wakka's ultimate unique shot takes any Auroch team member currently on the field and adds it to his own so he has a super shot.

Of course it's a lot of effort for relatively little gain.

• Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    I seriously can't wait to play the International version.

Expert Sphere Grid

I don't even know what to do with this thing. Every time I think I know what direction to take a character, I see some other ability I want for them way on the other side of the grid.

Rikku's start is really interesting. She's locked out of picking up a few quickies or diverging too far (though you probably have a key or two by then), and her obvious path is there. But if you go the exact opposite direction, which is unlocked, she has a fairly short and straightforward path to Delay Attack, Haste, and Extract Speed.

Wait, Extract Speed? What's that? *reads* Oh. Huh. Well then.

Quick Hit is still easier to get than Ultima :( Surrounded by some nice nodes, too.

Also, Flare. Why you way over there, Flare?

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
    I find it weird that Americans are discovering Extract abilities, the International Grid and the Dark Aeons for the first time. Guess I was lucky in that regard.

I will admit, I never beat a Dark Aeon without giving $Gold Saucer to Yojimbo.

• Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    I will admit, I never beat a Dark Aeon without giving $Gold Saucer to Yojimbo.
    $Gold Saucer is my new favorite FFExpression.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
    Maybe I should have said $All Materia? :P

Not having played the remastered version yet, there is one thing that bugs me: For some reason Tidus looks even younger than in the original, like he's closer to his early teens than his late teens.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Nimrook is the only absolutely essential Blitzball player. Never pass up a chance to get him or re-sign him.
    The secret best player in Blitzball is Wedge because he is the best early level attacker, and becomes the second goalkeeper in the game at higher levels, and is also a competent defender

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I play Blitzball like a shonen sports anime, so everybody has to start the first season with low stats, until we get that mysterious transfer student from outside the Macalania Temple.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    I remember liking this game

but man playing it again it starts so slow

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    pacing is a problem in every modern FF game

and they are getting steadily worse in that regard

though ffxiii-2 was an improvement

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Lightning Returns gets you into the thick of things reasonably quickly. But then you'd be playing Lightning Returns.

IKknkhU.gif
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I certainly like Lightning more than Serah

though Yahtzee made the plot sound unbelievably stupid even by the standards of final fantasy, so I think I'm gonna skip it

or at the very least I'm going to wait until it inevitably drops to twenty bucks or less

Shorty wrote: »
    I certainly like Lightning more than Serah

though Yahtzee made the plot sound unbelievably stupid even by the standards of final fantasy, so I think I'm gonna skip it

or at the very least I'm going to wait until it inevitably drops to twenty bucks or less

It's pretty goddamn stupid.

Like, I played FF13-1 and -2 to completion, and I still was completely baffled by the start of -3.

Also, everyone is angsty all the time.

IKknkhU.gif
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    So @Stilts, how often do you record Anime Is For Jurps

because I'd be interested in being on it as I play through the Final Fantasy series

(I have 1-9 all on my Vita oh god)

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    so does this remake let you skip cutscenes? i liked ffx a lot when i was a teenager but i'd rather not have to experience the plot or dialogue or...basically anything but battles

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    @moriveth we were actually tossing around the idea of a Best Final Fantasy discussion so this would rule

so does this remake let you skip cutscenes? i liked ffx a lot when i was a teenager but i'd rather not have to experience the plot or dialogue or...basically anything but battles

No, sadly.

Which means that every time I die to Yunalesca, I'll have to watch the cutscenes again...

IKknkhU.gif
  • MattitudeMattitude Paste Pot Pete Kicking The BucketRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

because I'd be interested in being on it as I play through the Final Fantasy series

How do you have III? (I need III, I want a full set!)

I got this Tumblr and I don't know how to use it.
    Decide on the next line by the rhyme when I choose it.
    Also I put songs on YouTube
    The musings of this lonely rube.

I made a thread once. It didn't end well for me.
    Mattitude wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »

How do you have III? (I need III, I want a full set!)

There's a PSP version on PSN.

• MattitudeMattitude Paste Pot Pete Kicking The BucketRegistered User regular
    Dammit, it wasn't in the big FF sale that was on a while ago. I filled in all my gaps (apart from XIV) then, and I don't remember seeing it.
    Hell, I even bought Dissidia and Duodecim because I failed to do adequate research.

I got this Tumblr and I don't know how to use it.
    Decide on the next line by the rhyme when I choose it.
    Also I put songs on YouTube
    The musings of this lonely rube.

I made a thread once. It didn't end well for me.
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

No, sadly.

Which means that every time I die to Yunalesca, I'll have to watch the cutscenes again...

Can't you cheese that fight with phoenix downs or something since she's undead?

aTBDrQE.jpg
    Skeith wrote: »

No, sadly.

Can't you cheese that fight with phoenix downs or something since she's undead?

No, not that one.

You're thinking of the second dragon fight.

IKknkhU.gif
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I have the PS1 release of I/II, PSP versions of III/IV, PS1 versions of V-IX.

And I'll probably end up getting X/X2 when that comes out, though likely digital only on Vita.

Goddamn is FF1 weird, though. I had to look up a walkthrough to confirm that yes, I was in the right spot for where I was in the plot.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I am unreasonably excited for this to come out finally. This is basically the excuse my wife and I came up with for getting a PS

I came to the realization about a year ago that I enjoyed this more than FFVI. I still love FFVI, but I just can't play it through any more.

Also, my wife and I met thanks to FFX. True story.
    In college I was trying to convince my best friend who had at that point only played FFVII and loved it to death (multiple plays through, beaten all the weapons etc) but never tried any of the others to give X and VI a whirl. My wife had just transferred here a few days earlier and was sitting down at the table next to us when she heard me extolling FFX's virtues and dragged her roommate over to sit with us and talk about it.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

No, sadly.

I read this in a review but I'm wondering if it's only true for FFX

The original X-2 let you skip scenes, so if they took that out, well, why would they do that?

I believe it's just that they didn't add skipping to X. Not that they removed it from X-2.

IKknkhU.gif
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I preordered this. I have good memories of it. FFX is one of the FFs that I actually beat.

Entirely through happenstance I've only beaten one FF from each console generation.
    I, VI, IX, X, and XIII.
    I've played all the numbered ones barring III, and XI, though I guess technically I've beaten XIV since I completed the story as it currently exists?

steam_sig.png
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I've started FFV so many times and never completed it, I probably never will.

I played the first part of FFVII so many damn times. At various friend's houses I would get to about the part where you leave Midgar and then I'd have to go, and they'd overwrite or lose my save, or it'd be so long since I picked it up, or I'd never see them again. Finally I borrowed a friend's PC copy in college and got to just after the end of the first disc and lost interest.

steam_sig.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Thank you Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes!

Because both it and FFX/X-2 are hitting the same day, my local game store is doing a midnight release

Of course, I'm only getting the Vita version from them (getting the PS3 version from GameStop because of the nicer case), but that'll tide me over nicely for a day

Syphyre wrote: »

it has a slow start but once you get the second set of jobs it gets a lot better

Shorty wrote: »
    Syphyre wrote: »

it has a slow start but once you get the second set of jobs it gets a lot better

Also I recommend finishing it normally at least once so you can take part in this.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Ah, yes, the space adventures of Meg Ryan.