As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cosmos, with Neil DeGrasse Tyson - In which we learn that FOX is not the same as Fox News

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    As far as I can tell, the Church was a bit more pissed about Bruni basically describing Christ as a particularly talented magician and not the Son of God than anything about his cosmological conceptions.

Hush. Next thing you'll be telling me that Galileo was persecuted for being a giant dick to the Pope rather than because they hated his scientific views.

Galileo was a hilarious dick to the Pope.

The best part was how he named the pro-Church character in his dialogue the 16th-century equivalent of "Doofus McFucktard."

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, the Church was a bit more pissed about Bruni basically describing Christ as a particularly talented magician and not the Son of God than anything about his cosmological conceptions.

Hush. Next thing you'll be telling me that Galileo was persecuted for being a giant dick to the Pope rather than because they hated his scientific views.

Galileo was a hilarious dick to the Pope.

The best part was how he named the pro-Church character in his dialogue the 16th-century equivalent of "Doofus McFucktard."

Simplicius of Cilicia is who Simplico from Galileo's book was named after according to Galileo.

I'd heard that was the ostensible explanation, but that it was likely a double entendre, since "Simplicio" is close to the Italian word for "simple-minded". Kinda like naming your character Dum'ass and saying, "No, it's pronounced 'doo-mahs,' you know, like the writer."

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    God the week-long wait between episodes is killing me.
    TexiKen wrote: »
    People need to realize Fox is actually a good network right now, this isn't some "lolz backwater" thing going on.

I've actually been quite amazed at the number of "Can you believe this show is playing on FOX?" and other similar comments I've seen on Youtube and the like.

Fox the TV network =/= Fox News, people. Jeez.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I'd heard that was the ostensible explanation, but that it was likely a double entendre, since "Simplicio" is close to the Italian word for "simple-minded". Kinda like naming your character Dum'ass and saying, "No, it's pronounced 'doo-mahs,' you know, like the writer."

Which kind if ignores the fact that Galileo was friends with Pope Urban before he had that name and fancy hat, and that Galileo was the one to present his ideas to the pope without needing to. It would be inconsistent for Galileo to then turn around and publicly snub his friend and admirer.

It makes sense if you imagine Galileo as the world's first internet troll.

"Oh hey, I just called your adherence to an Earth-centric model of the cosmos simplistic and in stark contrast to contemporary astronomical observation! What? What? You mad, bro?"

Anyway, I'm not going to assert that I know how, precisely, the name was meant to be taken. I'm not a historical scholar. I will merely assert that A) it is certainly not impossible for Galileo to be friends with the pope and also kind of a cheeky dickhole, and 2) it is way funnier if that's what actually happened.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    so I could find all the old cosmos eps on youtube today to watch, but a friend in another part of the country can't - they are restricted

what gives

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I really hope the next episode focuses on the scientific method. Some of the responses to the show have just been so... ugh. There's just such an ignorance of what science is, how hypotheses are tested, and how theories are developed.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

My brother-in-law's fiancé is friends/colleagues with the editor of this station, and he said plainly it was human error. Not a conspiracy.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    It's not like the church was hyped about heliocentrism, though.

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular

My brother-in-law's fiancé is friends/colleagues with the editor of this station, and he said plainly it was human error. Not a conspiracy.

Really? I'm not doubting either way, but.. I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not lol.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014

Really? I'm not doubting either way, but.. I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not lol.

No sarcasm this time.

From my Facebook feed:

Bro-in-law's fiancé: posts the same link posted here saying "OMG, seriously?!?" She's a producer for local news herself, most recently for that area but a different station, so this sort of thing hits her radar in more than one way.

An hour later her friend replies to her post: "Nope. As the Inventory Special that put the spots in...we did not do this. It was a human error. I would never ever cover anything mr Tyson says."

And she replies: "I forgot you worked there!"

And that was the end of that conversation between professionals.

Edit: attribution correction.

davidsdurions on
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Well that is good to know.

Apparently the first episode brought in 8.5 million viewers, which is pretty good! I hope more people keep tuning in and Fox doesn't get scared. Would be nice to see more programming like this.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    The journey from Earth to the edge of the visible universe gave me chills. What an amazing segment. Very enjoyable. I really, really wish I could show this in my class, but I'm fairly certain it would start a brouhaha from which I'd be hard-pressed to recover (woo-hoo red-state private school). I will certainly give it my encouraging approval to the kiddos, though. Just wonderful.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »

No, but the point is that they never executed anyone for saying the Earth goes around the Sun.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

No, but the point is that they never executed anyone for saying the Earth goes around the Sun.

They did burn a guy at the stake for postulating that the stars were probably just like the sun, if they were like the sun then they could have planets, and if they had planets then they probably could have beings on them who would also have beliefs about god.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    "Your god is too small!" is just the best line/quote.

edited March 2014
    I did like that Giordano Bruno felt that if God was as infinite and omnipotent as we think he his, why would the universe stop at just our planet? As a practicing Catholic that's more or less how I feel.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

They did burn a guy at the stake for postulating that the stars were probably just like the sun, if they were like the sun then they could have planets, and if they had planets then they probably could have beings on them who would also have beliefs about god.

It probably had more to do with the whole denying the Divinity of Christ and a couple other Catholic beliefs. This was a time where it wasn't that exceptional to get burned to death for a whole bunch of silly things.

That's a story with a different point though.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    Just a reminder that the new episode is on tonight.

I have the Cosmos app on my iPhone and it sent me a notification yesterday that "today is the day the milky way galaxy formed on the cosmic calendar".

FU7kFbw.png
  • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular

Apparently the first episode brought in 8.5 million viewers, which is pretty good! I hope more people keep tuning in and Fox doesn't get scared. Would be nice to see more programming like this.

The pessimist in me says that Fox will use this as an excuse to put in silly programming later designed to "teach the controversy". You know, in a fair and balanced way.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

The pessimist in me says that Fox will use this as an excuse to put in silly programming later designed to "teach the controversy". You know, in a fair and balanced way.

At the very top of Bullshit Mountain, where Rupert Murdoch lives, all he really cares about is what makes money.

He then hires passionate people to run various arms of his media empire who are the best fit to generate revenue out of those channels.

This means that Fox Sports, Fox News, FOX, FX, FXX, etc... all run completely differently.

NatGeo is owned by fox, and they run lots of pro-science, pro-evolution stuff.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    "Your god is too small!" is just the best line/quote.

My god plays on the double feature screen
    Your god went straight to DVD

My god is like super size
    Your god look like two fries

My god - been there done that
    Your god sits there with dunce cap

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

At the very top of Bullshit Mountain, where Rupert Murdoch lives, all he really cares about is what makes money.

He then hires passionate people to run various arms of his media empire who are the best fit to generate revenue out of those channels.

This means that Fox Sports, Fox News, FOX, FX, FXX, etc... all run completely differently.

I was going to make a joke about NatGeo running mostly Aliens built the pyramids and haunted house shows, but then I remembered that was the History channel.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

I was going to make a joke about NatGeo running mostly Aliens built the pyramids and haunted house shows, but then I remembered that was the History channel.

They started H2 to run all the shows like The Universe, and now that's mostly alien bullshit too.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

They started H2 to run all the shows like The Universe, and now that's mostly alien bullshit too.

The sad part is that the alien bullshit actually references history stuff, even though it's interpreting it incorrectly as opposed to the reality shows that mostly run on History now.

HEY

HEY PEOPLE

FOX IS NOT THE SAME AS FOX NEWS

PASS IT ON

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    You're as bad as the Coke Brothers, Jeffe!

Having some issues with my sound system, I'm gonna have to watch this on Hulu tomorrow again, as I missed a portion of Neil's opening segment.

FU7kFbw.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    It was just him thinking he was Neeson in The Grey.

I didn't realize it was going to be a straight retelling of the original series, in the same order, just updated. The genetic stuff was always the weakest part to me, let's go to space yo, watch Gattaca some other time.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Can't watch this since all Comcast services are down here until at least 11 tonight. Also, a water main broke, so we have no running water.

Truly these are the end times.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Some writing issues in the DNA segment. And also the other option for the polar bears is to merge back with the brown bear.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Some writing issues in the DNA segment. And also the other option for the polar bears is to merge back with the brown bear.

That's going to be one big, pissed off bear.

• SealSeal Registered User regular
    How is Grolar bear not the officially accepted name. Grolar bear is the name of something that murders you in the woods, pizzly and prizzly are names you'd give to some sort of potato chip or sugary snack.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Seal wrote: »
    How is Grolar bear not the officially accepted name. Grolar bear is the name of something that murders you in the woods, pizzly and prizzly are names you'd give to some sort of potato chip or sugary snack.
    Because Grolar Bear sounds too fucking terrifying.

You ever want another camper to come to your state parks? You tell them about the prizzly bear that may be wandering about.
    You want to see a family of hopeful campers crap themselves in their SUV? Tell them a grolar bear was seen in the camp grounds earlier this week.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    see317 wrote: »

You ever want another camper to come to your state parks? You tell them about the prizzly bear that may be wandering about.
    You want to see a family of hopeful campers crap themselves in their SUV? Tell them a grolar bear was seen in the camp grounds earlier this week.
    Grizlar is equally horrifying.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Grizlar is equally horrifying.

Did I accidentally click on a Pokemon thread?

• JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

It probably had more to do with the whole denying the Divinity of Christ and a couple other Catholic beliefs. This was a time where it wasn't that exceptional to get burned to death for a whole bunch of silly things.

That's a story with a different point though.

Well it could be argued that the being anti-catholic was more of an excuse for the Inquisition than the actual reason but it is doubtful. It is most likely that Bruno was burned for his religious views on the role of Christ and various other dogma than his views on how exactly the universe was structured.

It makes sense in a way. The Church would be far more concerned about people denying the divinity of Jesus than people waxing philosophical about the shape of the universe.