As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

D&D D&D: One Month of Roleplaying

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Ooh, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay never occurred to me. I'll be down for that if there are enough free slots.

It's my favorite fantasy setting. Well, traditional fantasy. I do stipulate the 2nd Edition, which uses the same type of system as all the 40k stuff does. The most recent edition totally changed everything and I don't know how it works. I am frightened and confused by change.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    PM sent!

I will snow flake if needed, but didn't put it in my ranks. I guess it might make sense to indicate some of the things not on the official list I'd be extra interested in, though. I would like to play:

Planescape (any system)
    Warhammer Fantasy
    oWoD Vampire or Mage
    Anything cyberpunk
    Trail of Cthulhu
    Legend of the Five Rings
    Ryuutama
    Ars Magica (though I guess it's maybe not a good fit for these particular circumstances)

jakobagger on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Ooh, I want to get in on this! I'm anticipating picking up a new job that may make scheduling more difficult, but generally I'm thinking 6:30 to 10:30 EST is a timeslot that will work regardless of whether I land it or not.

I'd love to try playing Shadowrun or Call of Cthulu if anyone else will be running it! Any type of D&D also sounds nice.

I'm willing to run a couple different systems, as well. My pet system is the Warhammer 40K RPG series, and I'd love to run one of the older modules using the updated ruleset for Dark Heresy. To explain it briefly, you're investigators hunting down rebels, cultists, aliens, and/or mutants in the distant future in the service of humanity. There's a kind of gothic visual aesthetic to the 40K setting, at least as far as the Imperium of Man goes, and humanity as a whole worships their emperor with religious fervor. It's an odd setting if you're not familiar with it, but it's pretty fun to mess around in. It tends to be fairly dark thematically, at least in the sense that humanity is fighting a losing battle to survive, but I tend not to play that up too much. If any prospective players are familiar with Abnett's 40K books, I shoot more for that pulpy kind of tone than grimdark.

Although I doubt Choco will be utilizing this, it's worth noting that "spellcasting" classes in the 40k RPGs (and WHFRP, for that matter) have an inbuilt "rocks fall, everyone dies" clause - there's a 1% chance that you will spectacularly fuck up and summon a (literal) space elf demon of (literal) sex, drugs, and rock and roll who will then proceed to (literally) rape the universe to death.

40k is awesome. If it's up for grabs I am totally moving that to the front of my priority list.

• Options
    jakobagger wrote: »
    PM sent!

I will snow flake if needed, but didn't put it in my ranks. I guess it might make sense to indicate some of the things not on the official list I'd be extra interested in, though. I would like to play:

Planescape (any system)
    Warhammer Fantasy
    oWoD Vampire or Mage
    Anything cyberpunk
    Trail of Cthulhu
    Legend of the Five Rings
    Ryuutama
    Ars Magica (though I guess it's maybe not a good fit for these particular circumstances)

Man, I forgot about Ars Magica...I could run Ars Magica.

I have some familiarity with it. However, it does have a clunky as shit mechanic for figuring out spell level.

"We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Ooh, I want to get in on this! I'm anticipating picking up a new job that may make scheduling more difficult, but generally I'm thinking 6:30 to 10:30 EST is a timeslot that will work regardless of whether I land it or not.

I'd love to try playing Shadowrun or Call of Cthulu if anyone else will be running it! Any type of D&D also sounds nice.

I'm willing to run a couple different systems, as well. My pet system is the Warhammer 40K RPG series, and I'd love to run one of the older modules using the updated ruleset for Dark Heresy. To explain it briefly, you're investigators hunting down rebels, cultists, aliens, and/or mutants in the distant future in the service of humanity. There's a kind of gothic visual aesthetic to the 40K setting, at least as far as the Imperium of Man goes, and humanity as a whole worships their emperor with religious fervor. It's an odd setting if you're not familiar with it, but it's pretty fun to mess around in. It tends to be fairly dark thematically, at least in the sense that humanity is fighting a losing battle to survive, but I tend not to play that up too much. If any prospective players are familiar with Abnett's 40K books, I shoot more for that pulpy kind of tone than grimdark.

Although I doubt Choco will be utilizing this, it's worth noting that "spellcasting" classes in the 40k RPGs (and WHFRP, for that matter) have an inbuilt "rocks fall, everyone dies" clause - there's a 1% chance that you will spectacularly fuck up and summon a (literal) space elf demon of (literal) sex, drugs, and rock and roll who will then proceed to (literally) rape the universe to death.

40k is awesome. If it's up for grabs I am totally moving that to the front of my priority list.

Dogg are you kidding me

Not only do I make full use of psychic phenomena, but I have access to the beta rules for Dark Heresy 2e, the earlier ones with custom phenomena for each psychic discipline

Using those tables as inspiration, I've made some custom tables for psychic phenomena taking into account which discipline is used rather than a totally random effect

If any psykers are abusing their powers willy-nilly they can totally expect to get fucked for it, it's an absolutely essential part of the entire psychic power mechanic

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    !pm sent

My 5 selections are in no particular order, because I am up for anything!
    1. Call of Cthulhu
    2. Burning Wheel
    3. D&D
    4. Shadowrun
    5. Mutants and Masterminds

919UOwT.png
  • Options

Dogg are you kidding me

Not only do I make full use of psychic phenomena, but I have access to the beta rules for Dark Heresy 2e, the earlier ones with custom phenomena for each psychic discipline

Using those tables as inspiration, I've made some custom tables for psychic phenomena taking into account which discipline is used rather than a totally random effect

If any psykers are abusing their powers willy-nilly they can totally expect to get fucked for it, it's an absolutely essential part of the entire psychic power mechanic

Oh no, I totally expect DMs to run psychic phenomena/perils. The couple of times I've played Warhammer games though the GM put something else in place of the "psyker instantly dies and/or summons something that will 100% absolutely without question gib the party." Mostly because the first time we played a Warhammer game with that GM I managed to roll "WHOOPS: Summon a Keeper of Secrets! You all fucking die" on the miscast table in the first fight

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Down for this.

NWoD
    Burning Wheel
    Fiasco
    Call of Cthulhu
    Shadowrun

I think I like the sound of character driven stuff, generally. Though I don't really know, I have barely done this before. Really I'm game to give anything a crack as long as the GM is generally willing to cope with my inexperienced fumbling about.

EDIT: I didn't mention times in my signup PM. I'm an office monkey, so can generally arrange to be free on weekday evenings or at weekends, though I will be away for a long weekend at the end of April (24th - 28th)

japan on
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Any chance of any GM's doing Paranoia? I have been listening to Klyka and Helloween's games and I have been laughing my ass off. Makes me want to play.

• Options
    Oh my god Paranoia

I may just buy a copy and learn to run it so there can be a D&D Paranoia game, that'd be fantastic

Paranoia is, like, the second best RPG ever

• Options
    Oh my god Paranoia

I may just buy a copy and learn to run it so there can be a D&D Paranoia game, that'd be fantastic

Paranoia is, like, the second best RPG ever

Citizen are you implying that friend computer did not design the best RPG game ever?

• Options
    Paranoia in my experience is one of those things that sounds so much better in theory than it ever does in practice.

It seems to take just the right group of people.

• Options
    Paranoia in my experience is one of those things that sounds so much better in theory than it ever does in practice.

It does. You have to have a group that is mature enough to take their friends betraying them in stride. You have to have a gm who will actively fuck with you, but not to the point that you quit, just till its funny. You have to have a creative gm who can really help you visualize alpha complex.

But when it all comes together..... quite possibly the greatest game ever.

• Options
    Sent my PM

Timezone in CST. I am an office drone so any time after 6:30 PM weekdays and anytime on weekends is good.

Games are
    1. Call of Cthulhu
    2. NWOD
    3. Shadowrun
    4. Special Snowflake (I like the above three options the best, but you stick me in a game and give me the rules and I will run with it)

I can't pass up a chance to get in on this kind of fun.

• Options
    Rchanen wrote: »

It does. You have to have a group that is mature enough to take their friends betraying them in stride. You have to have a gm who will actively fuck with you, but not to the point that you quit, just till its funny. You have to have a creative gm who can really help you visualize alpha complex.

But when it all comes together..... quite possibly the greatest game ever.

My absolute favorite Paranoia story is about a play-by-email game

Apparently at one point one of the players got demoted to infrared and one of the other guys got pissed at him and told ordered him to "go stand in that closet and don't come out and don't make a sound until somebody comes and gets you"

And then the rest of the team dies somehow and their clones get sent somewhere else and everyone totally forgot about the dude in the closet who is gamely playing along, sending in turn after turn of "I sit and the closet and I guess I try to communicate with people psychically to come and let me out."

And, unlike basically every other mutant power in the history of Paranoia games, it actually works! The GM starts telling everyone that they're getting the occasional urge to go check out the closet. And the other players are all FUCK THAT I'M NOT GOING ANYWHERE NEAR THAT GODDAMN CLOSET because naturally it's got to be some kind of trap.

Everyone else eventually runs out of clones, and poor infrared dude is still in the closet at end-of-game.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I am extending signups until the end of this weekend to give my new glasses time to show up.

Group assignments will be sent out next wwekend so don't worry if you don't hear from me before then. As I am working my way through a stack of signup PMs, please batsignal me if you have a question that needs an urgent reply.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Signups are now CLOSED. I am un-stickying the thread and will have everyone's results to them next weekend.

• Options
    Hey, guys! I had an unexpectedly busy weekend. Game notifications will be going out this afternoon/evening.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Sorry, guys, I am still working on this. Earlier estimations of how long this would take me were optimistic! There are a couple of gnarlt. I've been in touch with some dudes to see if I can't find a solution.

When the final roster is assembled, everyone will get a PM, whether they made it in or not (hopefully everyone will be able to get in, and that is my goal here).

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    AT LAST, IT IS DONE.

I am deeply sorry about the long wait. I am not equipped to do work staring at text on a screen for long periods of time anymore and there were some knotty scheduling problems to work out.

As I assembled this schedule, I prioritized schedule compatibility first, group size second, and game selection last. The vast majority of you got something that was at least in your top 5; a couple of you did not, and I am sorry for that, but I hope you can have fun with what your GM is cooking up.

I think it worked out pretty well. The only person I couldn't accomodate was @Scooter. Sorry, bro.

THE NEXT STEP: GMs, contact your player groups immediately, either here in the thread or by PM. REmember, you are responsible for supplying materials and books - but if you need help, PM me. I might be able to lend a hand. Then, the group should decide on a venue - one of the IRC channels I mentioned in the OP, or roll20, or something else. It would probably be a good idea to schedule a preliminary meeting so everyone can get a chance to familiarize themselves with the controls and dicebot commands and so forth before the first session.

IF IT TURNS OUT YOU CANNOT MAKE IT: Let your GM and group know immediately. GMs, contact me if this happens and I will try to find you a replacement.

PLEASE BE NICE TO EACH OTHER: Many of you are strangers to each other. Part of my goal here was to try and build bridges in this forum, to get you guys working together on something fun, and I really hope you can all enter into this in that spirit. If there is a problem, though - if drama erupts - I need to emphasize that my authority stops at the borders of the forum. I cannot dole out infractions for things that happen on other sites.

That said, roll20 commits all text to logs, and most IRC programs have a logging feature. If something happens, make a record of it; if enough people come to me and say "so-and-so was a jerk and sexualLy harassed my character" and can verify it, that certainly would influence my decision to include that poster in future forum events, up to and including Secret Santas.

But I hope that won't be necessary. Be cool, talk amongst yourselves, have fun, SLAY ORCS. I feel like these are all reasonable goals.

And now, without further delay, your assignments.

Team Automata
    GM: @Thomamelas‌
    Game: Leverage
    Time: Wednesday 7-11pm CST (1-5am GMT)
    Players: @Variable @Gonmun @Moridin889 @AresProphet‌

Team It Has Been 0 Days Since We Killed A Baby
    GM: @LoserForHireX‌
    Game: New World of Darkness (GM's choice)
    Time: Thursday 7:30-11:30pm Eastern/12:30-4:30am GMT
    Players: @Rchanen‌ @Elldren @kedinik @RocketSauce‌

Team Not Illegal In the Countries It Was Filmed
    GM: @Mazzyx‌
    Game: Dungeons & Dragons
    Time: Monday 7-11pm EST/midnight-4am GMT
    Players: @a5ehren‌ @PantsB @Ludious @Deebaser

Team Darkmagic
    GM: @PotatoNinja‌
    Time: Sunday 1-4pm PST (9pm-1amGMT)
    Players: @jakobagger @DarkRavenX @Gooey @skippydumptruck

Team Catsby
    GM: @MrAnthropy‌
    Time: Thursday 6:30pm-10:30pm CST (12:30-4:30am GMT)
    Players: @Richy @Delmain @DasUberEdward @Nova_C‌

Team Islam Is The Light
    GM: @Salvation122
    Game: Shadowrun
    Time: Saturday 1-5pm EST/6-10pm GMT
    Players: @BobCesca‌ @japan @RMS Oceanic@Captain Carrot

Team You Are Seared
    GM: @Elldren
    Game: Shadowrun
    Time: Friday 7-11pm CST (1-5am GMT)
    Players: @‌Shivahn @Aarseth @Rear Admiral Choco@VeeVee

Team Wandering Age
    GM: @simonwolf‌
    Game: Special Snowflake (Ryuutama)
    Time: Monday 7pm PST/Tuesday 1pm Melbourne (3am GMT)
    Players: @desc @shalmelo‌ @21st Century @DasUberEdward

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    @Jacobkosh‌

Thank you! This is awesome.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    I'm totally going to win at D&D

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    You can do that, I'm totally gonna win at <Insert GM's choice here>

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Ooh, outside my comfort zone. The die is cast!

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    dudes these games look baller and i think you will all have a bunch of fun

sig.gif
  • Options
    Only 2.5 weeks to wait.

I'm so glad I'm not GMing, because that would be "only 2.5 weeks to plan"

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    @Jacobkosh‌ @MrAnthropy‌

I can't make 6:30 CST on Thursday, that's half an hour before I get off work.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Just a reminder to the GMs: if you're interested in having your adventurer's, uh, adventures chronicled and/or immortalized, save your chat logs and PM them to me. I can't promise I will work on them on any specific timeline but I will get to it.

And for now, I'll stick with just one group. I haven't decided yet if I'll do it first-come, first-served or if I want to get a few different transcripts and work on the most promising one. If this ends up being something awesome I may get around to doing more, but I'm not swearing to it.

• Options
    I can move back 30 minutes, but not too much longer, I get up for work at 5:45AM EST and going to bed past midnight makes me basically useless.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    If scheduling can't be moved, that's cool, I can sit out.

• Options
    Don't be ridiculous, we can't play <insert GM's choice here> without 4 people!

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Also to @‌Salvation122 @BobCesca‌ @japan‌ @Captain Carrot

Would it be feasible to shunt the meetup time an hour back (2pm/7pm)? It's not vital, I can reschedule what I normally do at 6pm, but I figured this may be slightly simpler.

• Options
    @Nova_C @moridin889 would you guys be willing to switch?

• Options
    DO YOU GUYS LIKE BLUE EYES

BECAUSE I HEARD YOU GUYS LIKE BLUE EYES

LET ME GIVE THEM TO YOU
    We won't actually be going into the Arc. I am not that much of an asshole.
    Or am I.
    Probably not.

• Options
    Also to @‌Salvation122 @BobCesca‌ @japan‌ @Captain Carrot

Would it be feasible to shunt the meetup time an hour back (2pm/7pm)? It's not vital, I can reschedule what I normally do at 6pm, but I figured this may be slightly simpler.

Works for me.

• Options
    Salv is the hero of this project as his flexibility let us take care of most of the UK forumers in one swoop. He offered to run just about anything but I had this, shall we say, suspicion that he would go for Shadowrun in a big way

Jacobdamus knows all

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    DO YOU GUYS LIKE BLUE EYES

BECAUSE I HEARD YOU GUYS LIKE BLUE EYES

LET ME GIVE THEM TO YOU
    We won't actually be going into the Arc. I am not that much of an asshole.
    Or am I.
    Probably not.

Oh that's just mean.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    thanks @Jacobkosh‌ this is rad of you to do

going to cast the darkest of magics

@PotatoNinja‌ what setting are you thinking

*lobbies hard for one of the limited settings like prometheus*

• Options
    I kinda agree, I feel like the less utilized settings work better with shorter games.

That said, I actually like every WoD setting, so it's not really an issue for me, =P

• Options
    @Rchanen‌ @Elldren @kedinik @RocketSauce‌

Would it be possible for us to do Tuesday instead of Thursday? When I was listing my availability I forgot about my weekly therapist appointment at 7pm EDT on Thursdays. I would also be amenable to pushing back a half an hour. But a day switch would allow us to keep the same time and I don't want to keep anyone up late if they can't do it.

Let me know.