As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game of Thrones] There sure are a lot of sausages. (No. Books.)

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    You mean the one on youtube? That somebody earlier in the thread said they ran in Words with Friends? Neither of those things has to do with cable TV.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I was kidding. Hence the smiley. C'mon, this isn't a wedding, we can have fun here!

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    If they don't have cable, they didn't see the commercial :p

I direct you to this comment
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Atlas in Chains is trying to make a remark like "TV only viewers are babies who could just read the books and shouldn't cry about spoilers."

But that doesn't change the fact that TV viewers are under no such obligation to read the books, and this is not some fan made bullshit. This is what people are going to see if they like HBO on facebook or whatever and are waiting to hear an announcement of when they can buy it on blu ray.

You don't even have to do that--the ad played in Words with Friends, so I'm sure it was disseminated in plenty of places that would spoil people who were waiting to actually purchase the season to watch it.

There was a lot of hubbub everywhere after it happened last year, but my guess is most people who hadn't watched that episode at the time would have forgotten all about that by now. I know I would have.

• Options
    TaekoTaeko Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    There are plenty of people that watch Game of Thrones but don't subscribe to cable and also don't pirate, and those people have no option but to wait a year after the show airs to purchase the previous season.

13rcov3x6sb6.jpg

These people, they are working and living among us?

Frightening.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    My brother is one of them. I don't really get it.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Taeko wrote: »
    There are plenty of people that watch Game of Thrones but don't subscribe to cable and also don't pirate, and those people have no option but to wait a year after the show airs to purchase the previous season.

13rcov3x6sb6.jpg

Frightening.

Hello!

I live in Australia, where the only option to get HBO is to buy an incredibly shitty and overexpensive Foxtel package, buy an over expensive and shitty online Foxtel package (apparently) or pirate it. As I won't do any of these three things, it means I have to patiently wait for an entire year for the series to come out on DVD.

It really teaches you patience let me tell you now.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    I wait until the season is out on bluray. I don't care to carry a cable sub and I don't pirate anything out of principle. There are some entertaining extras on those discs, too.

I've taken to reading the books recently (on the fourth), so I'll be caught up before the next season hits.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    My wife would prefer (at least with highly serialised series, as opposed to more episodic ones) to wait until the entire series - not season, series! - is finished, because she hates the wait between seasons and forgetting what happened to whom. If it were up to her, we'd be watching all of Game of Thrones in six, seven years only. I love her dearly, but... ?!?!?!?!

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

13rcov3x6sb6.jpg

Frightening.

Hello!

I live in Australia, where the only option to get HBO is to buy an incredibly shitty and overexpensive Foxtel package, buy an over expensive and shitty online Foxtel package (apparently) or pirate it. As I won't do any of these three things, it means I have to patiently wait for an entire year for the series to come out on DVD.

It really teaches you patience let me tell you now.

For me, it's a $64 per month difference between cable/phone/Internet/HBO and just phone/Internet.

Aside from Game of Thrones, there's maybe a half dozen shows that I watch. And when I do watch TV, it's usually on my iPad while on the bus. Given the difference, I don't bother with cable or a TV, I just buy shows off of iTunes and watch that way. Way, way cheaper and more convenient for me.

For Game of Thrones, I went to a viewing party at a friends house; when that schedule changed and moved to a night that I worked, I started missing episodes. I hadn't seen S3 episodes 6-10 or so IIRC until I got the Blu-Rays.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2014

Frightening.

*Raises Hand*

I'm an American in South Korea. Netflix, Hulu and HBO are blocked, because I could very well be a filthy, filthy pirate. I recently bought the Season 3 Blu Ray and ploughed through it in one weekend.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Does iTunes not have a season pass for GoT?

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    I don't think any HBO shows release digitally until after the season has finished airing. Maybe True Blood during its earlier seasons - maybe I'm misremembering.

• Options
    InkSplat wrote: »

I'm not familiar with iTunes shows. I'll have to give it a shot.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »

I think Australia had one for the first episode or two of season 3, then it was pulled.

HBO has (reasonable) issues when it comes to distribution of their content sans a cable connection

• Options
    jeffinva wrote: »
    I don't think any HBO shows release digitally until after the season has finished airing. Maybe True Blood during its earlier seasons - maybe I'm misremembering.

HBO doesn't wait until the season has aired to make them available digitally. They wait until a year later when the new season is about to start. While they're all "We don't care if people pirate," they have no interest in making their shows available for purchase digitally until they're available for purchase on blu-ray the next year. They don't want people going "I can wait 3 months and buy it digitally," they want you to subscribe since a year is a long ass wait.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    My wife would prefer (at least with highly serialised series, as opposed to more episodic ones) to wait until the entire series - not season, series! - is finished, because she hates the wait between seasons and forgetting what happened to whom. If it were up to her, we'd be watching all of Game of Thrones in six, seven years only. I love her dearly, but... ?!?!?!?!

This is basically my plan with GoT, but mostly because I really feel like they may not stick the landing, so I want to be sure my time investment is not better spent elsewhere.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    i wish i could update the thread title with something like. . .

game of thrones. TOMORROW.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    i wish i could update the thread title with something like. . .

game of thrones. TOMORROW.

You can. It would just be inaccurate. And would probably upset a lot of people who would see it and get false hope.

What I'm saying is you should do it. But don't tell anyone I told you to.

sig.gif
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Game of Thrones Mixtape Drops Friday

Also, apparently Big Boi is a huge fan.

Made me think of this from the S2 DVD commentary

http://youtu.be/jnKxlncdZoM

• Options
    CreamstoutCreamstout What you think I program for, to push a fuckin' quad-core? Registered User regular

Dominik Omega tore it up, best track, Daddy Yankee's was pretty decent too.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    https://soundcloud.com/catchthethrone

There's the link to the mixtape. Highlight for me is Big Boi of Outkast rapping "Fuck the Lannisters and everybody ridin with em, Jon Snow and the Night's Watch 'fin to slide some iron in 'em." Lol.

I also love the fact that they called it "Catch the Throne" because they couldn't use "Watch the Throne," which would make so much more sense for a mix tape about a TV show.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

Frightening.

*Raises Hand*

I'm an American in South Korea. Netflix, Hulu and HBO are blocked, because I could very well be a filthy, filthy pirate. I recently bought the Season 3 Blu Ray and ploughed through it in one weekend.

Can't you VPN that stuff?

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options

Frightening.

*Raises Hand*

Even if he can VPN to get to Netflix, Hulu and iTunes, there's still a eight or nine month wait for the new season, because HBO doesn't allow people to buy in without a cable package. I doubt he want to pay full price for a cable package in America to watch one show.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    My wife demanded we add HBO to our cable package for this season. SURPRISE I ALREADY DID. lol.

I really want to wait and watch all of season 4 in a single run, but I now I can't do it. I'll be right there with everyone else, watching as it airs. I am very excited.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    Creamstout wrote: »

Dominik Omega tore it up, best track, Daddy Yankee's was pretty decent too.

Can't say enough good things about Dominik Omega. What a great track.

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    Not MandatoryNot Mandatory Registered User regular
    The Game of Thrones Exhibit came to Austin, TX during SXSW (touring 8 cities worldwide) and I forced my friends into standing in line for an hour and a half to secure our spots. I figured it would be worthwhile to share a few observations:
    My overall review is: it was fantastic.

-There were a good number of costumes with most of the main characters represented.
    -Only a few props, yet my top five were in attendance (Ice, Hand of the King pin, Joffrey's crossbow, dragon eggs, anything from the White Walkers [there was a sword]).
    -An Oculus Rift experience (a minute and a half travelling up the wall in an elevator, standing at the edge and dying by way of fireball) rounded out the interactive bit as well as a photo op on the Iron Throne. Though we were told it was the Iron Throne from the show, I have trouble believing they would allow our collective bottoms to rub off all of that continuity filled patina of the actual prop. Granted, the costumes were unprotected (and still being used in production) and I stuck my nose right up next to the embroidery coupled with the opportunity to buy too many drinks at the bar (there was a bar) and yak all over them, but there have to be limits, right? I mean, it's the Iron Throne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS_CvXj21uk

Everything had an incredible amount of detail and authenticity. I've read about said d&a before, but seeing it up close really hit it home. There were a few items that were "prop"-y (<20%) in that I've made props before and there is a certain element of "I can get away with this" but overwhelmingly the items were detailed to an obsessive Peter Jacksonian level.

For example; the embroidery on Sansa's wedding dress portrays the story of her life, the sheaths on daggers/swords that are only momentarily featured are elaborate and ornate, I spent ten minutes examining the fur costumes of Hodor and Bran and could not see a piece of thread or artiface. They could have been unearthed from an arctic cache.

Two things that struck me were 1. there is definite color intensifying going on. In case you were wondering. The costumes were dull compared to what one sees onscreen 2. everyone is as short as Shorthallian Shortstein. I have seen costumes on display before and they are always terrifyingly narrow (the red dress of Number Six from Battlestar Galactica, for example, is the width of exactly six number 2 pencils) but these costumes were for the height challenged of Hollywood. I think I could conquer Westeros based upon my broad shoulders alone.

I took several pictures on my phone, but was scared by the overzealous marketing team, so I will only share these: (#GOTExperienceForTheLoveOfGodHashtagItOrTheirMarketingTeamWillHuntYouAndDrinkYourBlood)

tnr14w6ce3lr.jpg
    giovp9s8daiw.jpg
    cicmxj23v8bo.jpg
    sjbvh42um7ih.jpg
    dzo2ba143vt0.jpg

• Options
    An aside:

As someone who 1. believes in logic/science and 2. took ceramic sculpture for two years, I am plagued by the texture of the dragon eggs.

An egg coming out of a dragon would not be textured to reflect its environment in that way. If it were textured as a part of adaptation to its environment (adhering to the sand in order to stay put), more of the egg would be textured in the same way. It wouldn't be such a drastic difference. And then - why the scales? A chicken egg is not feathered. A reptilian egg is not scaled. Yes, dragons are magical beasts that need not conform to our rules, but what was the creative thinking behind this piece? Just... dragon scales - check. In sand - check. ???? I know I'm venturing into Comic Book Guy territory here, but really - if you're going to be that detailed and thoughtful, why not follow through?

Can anyone explain the eggs to me in a way that seems logical to biology and adaptation?

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    The eggs are scaled because nature is weird, like platypuses. The sandy part at the bottom with no scales is erosion. There's supposed to be scales, but because the eggs are so old, some of it has gotten rubbed off.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    The sandy part at the bottom with no scales is erosion. There's supposed to be scales, but because the eggs are so old, some of it has gotten rubbed off.

Ah, that does make sense. Thank you.

• Options
    The scales make it easier for an adult dragon to gently grasp an egg between its talons, without the egg sliding out of its grip. Also, they effectively act as ablative shielding, like the tiles on the space shuttle; the dragons breath gently on the eggs to keep them hot, and the scales help them avoid overheating.

...I really have no idea.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    I think the dragon eggs have scales because it looks neat.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Frightening.

*Raises Hand*

Even if he can VPN to get to Netflix, Hulu and iTunes, there's still a eight or nine month wait for the new season, because HBO doesn't allow people to buy in without a cable package. I doubt he want to pay full price for a cable package in America to watch one show.

And now I'm fucking depressed.

And not because I finished Season 3. The finale merely made me hungry.

EDIT. Im in a country with the best internet infrastructure in the world and I can't use Netlix or Hulu. I want to remind you all of that fact.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Dragon eggs are supposed to survive a very long time. Reptile eggs tend to be kind of soft and leathery, so it makes sense for them to grow an extra protective layer of scales?

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    An aside:

As someone who 1. believes in logic/science and 2. took ceramic sculpture for two years, I am plagued by the texture of the dragon eggs.

An egg coming out of a dragon would not be textured to reflect its environment in that way. If it were textured as a part of adaptation to its environment (adhering to the sand in order to stay put), more of the egg would be textured in the same way. It wouldn't be such a drastic difference. And then - why the scales? A chicken egg is not feathered. A reptilian egg is not scaled. Yes, dragons are magical beasts that need not conform to our rules, but what was the creative thinking behind this piece? Just... dragon scales - check. In sand - check. ???? I know I'm venturing into Comic Book Guy territory here, but really - if you're going to be that detailed and thoughtful, why not follow through?

Can anyone explain the eggs to me in a way that seems logical to biology and adaptation?

Yes, let's try to explain firebreathing dragon eggs with science, that seems reasonable...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    Dragon eggs are supposed to survive a very long time. Reptile eggs tend to be kind of soft and leathery, so it makes sense for them to grow an extra protective layer of scales?

Are they, though? These three have survived forever, but then again their parents (and entire species) died off. Do we know how long a normal dragon gestation period is, without interruption by species extinction?

By the way, being able to survive whatever causes the extinction of your species encased in a stone-hard shell and be born centuries later when conditions are more favourable is a solid evolutionary advantage. So that would be one advantage of scales I guess. Though I struggle to think of a way it would appear through natural evolution, unless dragon babies are actually very sensitive beings that need conditions to be just right to thrive and die off if anything is not, thus creating an evolutionary pressure for hibernating in the shell until conditions are correct.

We also saw that dragon eggs need to be thrown into blazing fire to hatch. So scales as thermal protection like @Shadowhope said makes sense.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Lol, yeah, the eggs look all scaly and dragon like because they wanted them to be cool looking dragon eggs, and not just look like big ass boring snake eggs. Thar be magic in this world friends.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Lol, yeah, the eggs look all scaly and dragon like because they wanted them to be cool looking dragon eggs, and not just look like big ass boring snake eggs. Thar be magic in this world friends.

Yes well people originally thought that platypuses were a hoax and made-up, too.

So a-haa!

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Dragons are LITERALLY magic. Makes sense that their eggs are, too

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.