As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pinny Pals Podcast: PAX WEST Pin Discussions and MORE!

• NowHiringHenchmenNowHiringHenchmen Registered User regular
    Imsorad wrote: »
    Listened while shoveling as promised. It was nice to hear your guys' take on the Killer Instinct Pin Ultimate Edition and some other points.

I highly doubt that Nintendo would ever partner with PA for a pin set. I know that some Pin Pals get wet dreams over such a thought, but if history is any indicator you'd know how tightly Nintendo clutches the marketing of it's intellectual properties. Plus it's not like they need any help selling limited edition copies of any their games. If Nintendo wanted to make a pinny edition Mario Kart or something they could just make it themselves, no need to invite a third party to share the pot. Not that I wouldn't be pleasantly surprised if they did, but I'd be willing to bet an Elspeth pin that they won't.

On the main subject of the KI set, it just made me realize how mad I am about it. I don't own a Xbox One yet, and certainly am not going to buy one just for KI and the pins to go with it. You're talking about an investment of over $600 just to get started on the set, then the near impossible tasks to earn the other pins, or paying a whopping $15 for each empty spot in your collection. Terrible. Now granted, if this had been for some other games I would be completely flipped in my opinion. Assassin's Creed 4? I would be all in. So I won't hide the fact that the platform, genre, and challenge all factor into my opinion.

But glad to hear that I'm not the only person without the KI set, or finally accepting that I will never own the DLC pin.

My opinion is more or less the same as yours regarding the Xbox One, Pinultimate edition sort of thing. I would never buy a console solely for a pin collection, but I have a feeling I would be like others in the pin community and buy it just to have it. Truth be told, I suck at fighting games and I haven't touched Killer Instinct unless it was to earn the pins and play a couple of times with Pedro and some other friends. My skill at the game is just so, so low. :(

• AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    For me, getting all gaming consoles has been the norm in my household for as long as I've had my own income. Before that, the rate i would get games was limited to one for Christmas and one for myself and each of my two brothers' birthdays (so 4, maybe 5 games per YEAR) Looking back on that, I have no idea how i survived!!!

Now, (with some smart saving and timed purchases) I got all 3 'last gen' consoles, and plan to get all 3 of the new. Got the WiiU early last year, and planned to get a PS4 on launch and wait for a good exclusive for the xbox before i get that. I was mainly disapointed with the KI Pin Ultimate because it made me reconsider this idea. Wasn't really planning to get killer instinct at all, but.....Knowing i would get them both eventually made the choice easier, also PINS!!!!! So i took the plunge and got an xbox first.

Im also very lucky to have two brothers who are as big a gamer as i am, so we are always taking turns getting games so we are all playing what we want.

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    For me, getting all gaming consoles has been the norm in my household for as long as I've had my own income. Before that, the rate i would get games was limited to one for Christmas and one for myself and each of my two brothers' birthdays (so 4, maybe 5 games per YEAR) Looking back on that, I have no idea how i survived!!!

Now, (with some smart saving and timed purchases) I got all 3 'last gen' consoles, and plan to get all 3 of the new. Got the WiiU early last year, and planned to get a PS4 on launch and wait for a good exclusive for the xbox before i get that. I was mainly disapointed with the KI Pin Ultimate because it made me reconsider this idea. Wasn't really planning to get killer instinct at all, but.....Knowing i would get them both eventually made the choice easier, also PINS!!!!! So i took the plunge and got an xbox first.

Im also very lucky to have two brothers who are as big a gamer as i am, so we are always taking turns getting games so we are all playing what we want.

Yeah, Killer Instinct was never a must buy for me, but when they announced the Pinultimate it sort of became a moot point. I'm hoping in the future any pin editions of games they do just happen to be for games I enjoy. One thing I don't think we mentioned in the podcast, but that I did think of after the fact;

Killer Instinct was a game that had tiered purchases. It was free for the bare minimum, and then it got higher as the "editions" went. If PA did something with a game that cost $60 flat out, do you think the Pinultimate would be raised to normal limited edition prices?

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I'm an idiot and bought the Xbone for the Pin Ultimate edition... I knew I was going to buy the pins anyways, so I figured I'd at least have some fun while doing it.

I'm an idiot and bought the Xbone for the Pin Ultimate edition... I knew I was going to buy the pins anyways, so I figured I'd at least have some fun while doing it.

At least you have a bunch of cool games coming!

It's cool, man. We're all idiots here. :)

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Manic2kManic2k Brotherhood of the Squirrel [AUS]Registered User regular
    I'm the same as Ayefkay, I will most probably own all consoles for the rest of my life (I am already current I have all platforms) so the pin ultimate edition was more of a bonus for me. That's why I brought up the question in the podcast as to how far would people actually go for the pin editions when it comes to their gaming influences. This subject is still current imo so I would like to touch more on it in the podcast. It's never been about just the IP of the pin editions of the games, in this case killer instinct but for me it about the entwining of my two favorite things collecting in this case pins and video games. The possibilities it holds excites me and I love that I am here on the ground floor.

Pinny arcade - Pin Pals community page: www.facebook.com/pinnypals
    Community Pinny Arcade Trading web site: http://www.pinnypals.com
    Pinny Arcade - Pin Pals twitter: @PA_PinPals
    SubReddit:http://www.reddit.com/r/pinnypals
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/pinnypals
  • purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    I have never owned all the consoles and probably never will. I want the pin editions, but just can not justify the price right now.

The Pin Ultimate Editions fit so many of my hobbies that there was no question for me not to get it.

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Drayven_DarkoDrayven_Darko Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Somebody (possibly Henchmen?) mentioned that one of the Infamous: Second Son editions was coming with a Pinny Arcade pin. I know a couple of them are coming with 'badges' but I wasn't aware any of them are coming with a "pin". Has this been officially confirmed?
    (at least one of the editions has something in the image that looks like the second son logo that was on the pin at prime, but I'd wager that's more likely to be the bottle opener)

"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to 'Sparkle Motion'."
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Somebody (possibly Henchmen?) mentioned that one of the Infamous: Second Son editions was coming with a Pinny Arcade pin. I know a couple of them are coming with 'badges' but I wasn't aware any of them are coming with a "pin". Has this been officially confirmed?
    (at least one of the editions has something in the image that looks like the second son logo that was on the pin at prime, but I'd wager that's more likely to be the bottle opener)

Unless they had such an influx of pins leftover from Prime they're throwing them into sets... but I've read nothing on this, so I'm sure it's just a mistake.

infamous_ss_ce.jpg

bottom centre of that image...it definitely 'looks' like the pinny arcade pin.

I had my suspicions that the pin ultimate would be for this game, being set in seattle (home of PA) and the fact that theres also ingame content designed by PA (a jacket design that comes as an extra with preorders of the game)

Few weeks to go before release though, not so sure now...

8fuuo_RK.png
  • KamelonKamelon Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    infamous_ss_ce.jpg

I had my suspicions that the pin ultimate would be for this game, being set in seattle (home of PA) and the fact that theres also ingame content designed by PA (a jacket design that comes as an extra with preorders of the game)

I'm not sure this is the Pin Ultimate edition. I think we saw an image like this last year which had the Second Son pin included in it. I think the popular theory was that they were including the leftovers from PAX in the special edition. However, this was before any Pin Ultimates had been announced. Still, seeing as a picture like this surfaced a while back, I'm thinking it definitely includes a Pinny Arcade pin, but may not be the Pin Ultimate we're looking for. You know?

Then again, if this is the Pin Ultimate they're talking about, we've had hints at it for a while, I guess :) Can't wait to find out :D

Pinny Arcade Collection & Trades
    Heroic Coaching & Consulting - Personal Development & Coaching For Nerds

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6423-4833

"Every suggestion from the FAQ with a link? Kamelon. A truly Organised Pinthusiast." - PedroAsani
    Just because it has a pin shouldn't necessarily mean it will have a Pin Ultimate Edition, though I wouldn't mind one for this game since I plan to buy inFamous anyway.

I hope this is a Pinny Arcade pin though, it'll be good to spread the word a bit more, the only thing that looks off is the black in the center, though that could just be how they did the image or something (or it just might not be a Pinny pin idk)

• vidvid Hot Dog Wizard PDXRegistered User regular
    If it ISN'T a Pinny Arcade pin, then people looking to pick up the Second Son pin further down the line will need to be careful not to get this doppelgänger instead.

I hadn't consdered it before, but man, a inFamous: Second Son Pin Ultimate edition would be pretty awesome.

55ymlH2.png
    Either sold out or not available in Australia anyway. Highly doubt this is a Pin Ultimate edition. No announcements to the fact and that image says nothing about it. That pin 'looks' like the PA pin but i dont think it is, either.

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Drayven_DarkoDrayven_Darko Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    If everything in that image is to scale, that thing's way to big to be the pin. I'll happily wager a DLC pin* on that being the bottle opener.

* - I don't have a DLC pin, but this seems like a good way to get one =P

"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to 'Sparkle Motion'."
    That was an old picture, I believe. If I remember correctly (and I might not), the original posting had said something about a pin, but if you check out the Gamestop listing for the collector's edition, they list 8 pins that the main character wears on his vest. It looks like what once was the pin is now maybe a sticker. Maybe they just didn't have any left from PAX, and they thought they would earlier on?

150032_4_bonusLG.jpg

• PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    That was an old picture, I believe. If I remember correctly (and I might not), the original posting had said something about a pin, but if you check out the Gamestop listing for the collector's edition, they list 8 pins that the main character wears on his vest. It looks like what once was the pin is now maybe a sticker. Maybe they just didn't have any left from PAX, and they thought they would earlier on?

150032_4_bonusLG.jpg

This. I'll see if I can get a definitive answer from somewhere, but the previous image does indeed show the PAX Pin. The new one is just the sticker, and if I remember right the booth at Prime ran out some time Sunday.

We just wrapped recording on episode 2 of the podcast. Should be up this week barring any major disasters.

Episode 2 is now up. http://www.pinnypals.com/?tab=podcast Discussing eBay, a listener question, the news and e. FYI this s recorded before the East pin set was revealed.

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I seem to be the only one to have left a review on itunes. COME ON PEOPLE!

• Konig WolfKonig Wolf Registered User regular
    Wish I had checked the forums this morning so I could have listened to this a bit at work. Thank you for discussing my questions from after the previous podcast! I enjoyed hearing more of your thoughts on future "Pin-Ultimate" (or whatever they may end up being called) Editions. I also thought the bit at the end was hilarious.

The discussion about Club Nintendo definitely piqued my interest. There was a Luigi Pin (not Pinny Arcade though) that was given out as part of a sweepstakes tied to Club Nintendo a while back (if you registered a copy of the game and filled out a survey): https://club.nintendo.com/rewards-details/a/40002.do

I may be giving out some Nintendo pins at PAX East most likely like I was to a few people at Prime 2013. Here's a picture of some of them.

I think someone mentioned wanting to see a Triforce Pinny Arcade Pin in this podcast. I thought you might be interested to know there is a Triforce Pin that's comparable or even more rare than the DLC Pin.

Look up the "NSider Sage Pin."

Konig Wolf wrote: »
    Wish I had checked the forums this morning so I could have listened to this a bit at work. Thank you for discussing my questions from after the previous podcast! I enjoyed hearing more of your thoughts on future "Pin-Ultimate" (or whatever they may end up being called) Editions. I also thought the bit at the end was hilarious.

The discussion about Club Nintendo definitely piqued my interest. There was a Luigi Pin (not Pinny Arcade though) that was given out as part of a sweepstakes tied to Club Nintendo a while back (if you registered a copy of the game and filled out a survey): https://club.nintendo.com/rewards-details/a/40002.do

I may be giving out some Nintendo pins at PAX East most likely like I was to a few people at Prime 2013. Here's a picture of some of them.

I think someone mentioned wanting to see a Triforce Pinny Arcade Pin in this podcast. I thought you might be interested to know there is a Triforce Pin that's comparable or even more rare than the DLC Pin.

I know EXACTLY what pin you're talking about. Its so pretty. The box, the pin, just...everything, man.

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Sound seems better this ep.

Sound seems better this ep.
    We had better connections this time. I think we found a set up that will work. Now if I can only avoid coming down with a cold while recording. 2 for 2 so far.

I want every pin in that photo Konig Wolf, I will have to make sure to find you at PAX East. I tried to win that Luigi pin but was rather unsuccessful. That Triforce pin looks awesome, I will put that onto my dream list of items to find at a random yard sale. Thanks for listening.

Just listened to Episode #2. Really enjoying the dynamic between you guys, and yeah the sound is much better. Keep up the good work!

after hearing the end though im not sure....if there is a next time.....
    The brain squirrels have started their forceful takeover!!!!! SAVE WHATEVER PINS YOU CAN AND RUN!

8fuuo_RK.png
    For our next episode we are planning on discussing pin trading groups and would love input from you guys. How does your group work? Any difficulties? Do you do anything outside of pins? If like me you are currently frictionless, why? What would make you join a group?

• ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I listened to most of episode 2, got cut short as you guys were speculating about PAX East (I remember someone guessing at an Assassin's Creed 5 announcement before I lost connection).

The only thing that I'll add is my doubt that Nintendo would ever team up with PA for pins, or much else as far as any merchandise goes.
    pureval wrote: »
    For our next episode we are planning on discussing pin trading groups and would love input from you guys. How does your group work? Any difficulties? Do you do anything outside of pins? If like me you are currently frictionless, why? What would make you join a group?

I had once dedicated myself to a trade before PAX Prime to get myself an AUS set. But the other member backed out after I had bought an extra Prime set and left me out in the cold for an AUS 2013 set. Sucks, because now I'll probably never get those pins now.

This will be my first year utilizing a fully predetermined group, so I can't speak as to how it has worked, but rather what we've agreed to. At a minimum we intend to get each other the regional PAX exclusive sets and LE pins. Then getting third party pins that might be exclusive to a particular PAX will be the secondary objective (ie; MTG pins). At least one member of my group also wants me to also get some other exclusive merch, like scarves and t-shirts, which is no hassle.

Clix on

I personally just don't think I have the time to dedicate to ensuring I have collected 3 of each Pin. On top of that, I'm automatically go to Prime and now East regularly, with the intention of going to Australia from here on out (not just for Pins). So for me is just isn't necessary. I also prefer trading in person.

That said, I think the groups are absolutely great though because they help keep the community thriving. I just can't think of anything in particular that would make me join a group. Even if I couldn't make it out to Boston or Australia any of the years, hunting down Pins in person at Prime would actually be just as great of an experience for me.

I personally just don't think I have the time to dedicate to ensuring I have collected 3 of each Pin. On top of that, I'm automatically go to Prime and now East regularly, with the intention of going to Australia from here on out (not just for Pins). So for me is just isn't necessary. I also prefer trading in person.

That said, I think the groups are absolutely great though because they help keep the community thriving. I just can't think of anything in particular that would make me join a group. Even if I couldn't make it out to Boston or Australia any of the years, hunting down Pins in person at Prime would actually be just as great of an experience for me.

There's different group levels depending on interest. I think my level (enthusiast) is a good fit for me and would be for you as well, my group is going to exchange only the core East/Aus/Prime sets, and maybe a couple others depending on what we have. I personally will try to get all my pin stuff done on Friday so I have the other 2 days to do stuff, but I'm sure that won't happen, I just want to do more than pins all weekend.

• ancienteternityancienteternity Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    infamous_ss_ce.jpg

That was just the collector's edition of Infamous for the European crowd. I wish we could've gotten the jacket casing for the game too.... The other picture is the NA Collector's Edition. Note the ESRB logo and PEGI logos.

Source:http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/10/17/infamous-second-son-box-art-revealed-special-editions-detailed/

ancienteternity on
    3HbAeAg.png

I'm ready for the next PAX already!
    Episode 3 is now live! This is our pre-PAX East episode. http://www.pinnypals.com/?tab=podcast

Perfect timing, just enough time left to listen before heading out for my flight.

edited April 2014
    Best intro ever?

Great episode, guys! Really enjoyed listening to the different ways you guys manage your pin groups.

Note to Pureval, No Blizzard games?, no Age of Empires? we REALLY need to get you to play some games! I liked PedroAsani's idea about locking you in a room, doesn't matter if you don't drink, we will drink while we watch,

Ayefkay on

8fuuo_RK.png
    Glad you guys liked the intro! I have too played Blizzard games. The Lost Vikings 1 and 2 are 2 of my favorite SNES games. Once they come back to Nintendo I will glad play their games again.

Great podcast, I should have mentioned I don't usually have time because I'm busy Enforcing.

Actually Pureval, there coincidentally is a HD remake of the discussed Age of Mythology available for Pre-order on Steam (release date May 9th). Which i'm sure now is what the Anubis Pin is based off of.

If you like ancient mythology of many races, Egyptian, Greek, Aztec etc, then this game would be right up your alley. Its a Real time strategy game, so, Collect Resources, Build a Town/Army, defeat other peoples towns and armies. The hook of the mythology game, is that you can summon the power of the gods to help you, where as the other 'Age of Empires' games in the series stick to a realistic/historically accurate setting.

I too dont play many strategy games, but the 'Age of' series is by far one of my favourites. Highly recommended.

8fuuo_RK.png
    Yeah another good ep.