As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hiking is some of the biggest bullshit ever.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I've never been hiking and it does not sound like a fun prospect

Are you a fan of nature?

How about fitness?

Well, have I got a winning combo for you.

Not really, and no!

Although if there were something cool at the top, that would sweeten the deal

Walking through nature is it's own reward.

JtgVX0H.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    UnbreakableVow, you aren't going to get a god-damn achievement point from hiking!

Please

I have given up on Achievements

If it gets me a Trophy though

Just sayin', I wouldn't mind having my palms greased a bit

• EvilCakeEvilCake Richmond VARegistered User regular
    Went hiking in the moutains while only a small cake. Parents tell me to stop moving. Look down and see copperhead snake slithering by, rubbing against my foot.

never look up again rest of life

of course, should have been looking up to avoid bear later

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

Are you a fan of nature?

How about fitness?

Not really, and no!

Nope, I have to call bullshit on this.

Walking through nature is pointless. It's hot, sweaty, miserable, tiring, and most of all it takes all day that could be spent doing something more fun.

• CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    I find that I enjoyed being out in nature a whole lot more when I was young and high.

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    My housemate told me her favourite part of going for walks is the cafe at the end.

I said that is not the walk.

• DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Oh yeah. Dangerous wildlife is a thing. I forgot about that.

Are you a fan of nature?

How about fitness?

Not really, and no!

Walking through nature is pointless. It's hot, sweaty, miserable, tiring, and most of all it takes all day that could be spent doing something more fun.

Nope. It's calm and relaxing, beautiful, smells nice, it's always fun to recognize plants (especially if they're edible), and if you go hiking somewhere flat and go at a leisurely pace then it's not tiring at all. I just like being in the woods/mountains/desert/hills/whatever. All of it is amazing and I want to build a house in the country and own hundreds of acres so I can go hiking whenever I feel like it.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    I'm going on a week long backpacking trip the last week of March... someplace in California. Weather is weird.

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I never could get much into hiking. I love nature and getting outside, but I'd rather go on bird walks. It's kinda like hiking except I cover a fraction of the distance because I have to stop all the time and check out the birds. How am I supposed to listen to cardinals song-dueling if I just keep walking and don't pause for five minutes to hear to the whole thing? If I don't watch the heron for several straight minutes how I am supposed to see that one moment when it shoots out its neck and grabs a fish? And we humans are noisy and clumsy so if it's good habitat for a shy species sometimes the best thing to do is just sit down and let things settle and wait for it to arrive.

• CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    Oh yeah. Dangerous wildlife is a thing. I forgot about that.

Also, hobos.

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular

Are you a fan of nature?

How about fitness?

Not really, and no!

Nope. It's calm and relaxing, beautiful, smells nice, it's always fun to recognize plants (especially if they're edible), and if you go hiking somewhere flat and go at a leisurely pace then it's not tiring at all. I just like being in the woods/mountains/desert/hills/whatever. All of it is amazing and I want to build a house in the country and own hundreds of acres so I can go hiking whenever I feel like it.

Nature is good for two things. Agriculture and resources. If I want a nice hike, I'll play Skyrim.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I'd like to get out to Rainier or the Olympic peninsula but I don't have a car.

I am glad I don't have to worry about dangerous wildlife.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I went hiking for two weeks in New Mexico...shit, I guess it was ten years ago, now. At one point we were like, fifty feet away from a bear that was just wanderin' along, not payin' anybody any mind at all. It was kinda rad.

I hiked around Catalina Island a few years ago and there are hella bison just wandering around
    We had to just turn around at one point because a couple of them were blocking the only route and just staring at us

That reminds me of the time my family visited Yellowstone. We were on our way through when there came to be a herd of bison standing on the road. People were getting out of their cars to take pictures up close and there were park rangers going "GET BACK IN YOUR CARS, YOU IDIOTS"

do Yellowstone bison behave differently?
    we didn't see these guys until we were literally right up on them and they never made a move or acted hostile

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    It's 2.4 paved miles of switchbacks with a permanent railing and it took you "hours" to get to a giving up point?

Was this perhaps an outing of late-stage emphysema patients?

I go hiking because standing on top of a mountain and forgetting about other humans for a hot minute is one of the only things that makes me feel really human any more

YHw5BFt.png

just like

the wind and the wide openness of everything

There could be a bee.

I don't care how calm they seem, you do not walk up on a herd of bison or longhorn to take pictures. You don't even drive your car too close to them if you can avoid it because all it takes is one thing to spook them and you're in a bad way.

Weaver wrote: »

Our honeymoon was spent on the Olympic peninsula but we ended up just staying in Port Angeles because it had a hospital and I kept thinking I was having heart issues. We'd originally planned to stay at several lodges and go camping but it never happened. Our five year anniversary is this year and we want to go back and do everything we never got a chance to last time, including lots of hiking.

JtgVX0H.png
    Weaver wrote: »

Our honeymoon was spent on the Olympic peninsula but we ended up just staying in Port Angeles because it had a hospital and I kept thinking I was having heart issues. We'd originally planned to stay at several lodges and go camping but it never happened. Our five year anniversary is this year and we want to go back and do everything we never got a chance to last time, including lots of hiking.

That sounds like a lovely anniversary trip.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    I never could get much into hiking. I love nature and getting outside, but I'd rather go on bird walks. It's kinda like hiking except I cover a fraction of the distance because I have to stop all the time and check out the birds. How am I supposed to listen to cardinals song-dueling if I just keep walking and don't pause for five minutes to hear to the whole thing? If I don't watch the heron for several straight minutes how I am supposed to see that one moment when it shoots out its neck and grabs a fish? And we humans are noisy and clumsy so if it's good habitat for a shy species sometimes the best thing to do is just sit down and let things settle and wait for it to arrive.

Hey, this is still awesome.

Because nature is amazing!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

Are you a fan of nature?

How about fitness?

Not really, and no!

Serenity?

Accomplishment?

Personal pride?

Mosquito bites.

Liiya wrote: »
    There could be a bee.

Mayhap even a spider

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Spiders are like the only thing I hate about being in nature. I'm not scared of them, I just don't want them on me. They're like the nerds of nature.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    I don't think I ever want to do lots of hiking.

But I am pretty okay with doing some hiking.

I like gettin' down by the leaf litter and just letting my peripheral vision detect weird bugs and then just kind of starting at that bug do its thing for a little while.

Super relaxing.

And kind of existential.

Occasionally I will talk to the bug.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So two years ago, during a hike with some of the kids at camp I was leading the way back to our camp-site and missed the exit point. So I, with the support of four experienced hikers, had the kids kind of lost in the woods for 30-45 minutes. But we played it up as a surprise adventure and the kids ended up loving it.

Afterward I was mocked and told I couldn't lead anymore hiking trips (in jest).

Last year a group of highly experienced hikers lead the kids on a hike through the same trail as I did the year before. BUT SURPRISE they lead everyone into a huge area of hornets who stung a dozen kids and made everyone panic & flea screaming.

Suddenly Counselor Zonugal ain't looking too bad!

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I went hiking for two weeks in New Mexico...shit, I guess it was ten years ago, now. At one point we were like, fifty feet away from a bear that was just wanderin' along, not payin' anybody any mind at all. It was kinda rad.

I hiked around Catalina Island a few years ago and there are hella bison just wandering around
    We had to just turn around at one point because a couple of them were blocking the only route and just staring at us

That reminds me of the time my family visited Yellowstone. We were on our way through when there came to be a herd of bison standing on the road. People were getting out of their cars to take pictures up close and there were park rangers going "GET BACK IN YOUR CARS, YOU IDIOTS"

we didn't see these guys until we were literally right up on them and they never made a move or acted hostile

Bison aren't generally hostile, but they can be spooked, and if they get spooked, they put the spears on their heads to use.

There's a sign near Old Faithful that says "On this spot in 2001, a person was gored by a bison. Please do not approach a bison."

And then, sometimes, if I am feeling very saucy and am positive that nobody is anywhere near me

I will practice my Sir David Attenborough impression.

Once the weather consistently warms up I kinda want to just fuck off and go camp somewhere for a weekend
    it's not something I do on a regular basis but I think a good 2 or 3 days of not being around the usual bullshit might help me clear my head

There could be a bee.

Mayhap even a spider

I only see spiders out and about if you get right up close a hedge they might be in. Our spiders are only wee beasties.

There's some nice hiking over in the Cascades too, especially if you just park your car off a service road somewhere and wonder off.

DSCN0022.jpg
    DSCN0040.jpg

TheStig wrote: »
    Spiders are like the only thing I hate about being in nature. I'm not scared of them, I just don't want them on me. They're like the nerds of nature.

Spiders help get rid of other insects.

They are kind of helpful!

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    The thing I love most about nature is that it is outside.

Bison aren't generally hostile, but they can be spooked, and if they get spooked, they put the spears on their heads to use.

There's a sign near Old Faithful that says "On this spot in 2001, a person was gored by a bison. Please do not approach a bison."

Sage advice.

There could be a bee.

Mayhap even a spider

I only see spiders out and about if you get right up close a hedge they might be in. Our spiders are only wee beasties.

One thing I am NOT looking forward when I move back to Taiwan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_silk_orb-weaver

sarukun wrote: »
    I don't think I ever want to do lots of hiking.

But I am pretty okay with doing some hiking.

I like gettin' down by the leaf litter and just letting my peripheral vision detect weird bugs and then just kind of starting at that bug do its thing for a little while.

Super relaxing.

And kind of existential.

Occasionally I will talk to the bug.

When growing up, I used to sit down in the little copse behind my grandparents house and watch the ants and rolly pollies and caterpillars crawl around and do the things they do. I'd also catch crawdads in the creek that ran through there.

JtgVX0H.png
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    There could be a bee.

Mayhap even a spider

You're talking me into moving to the UK.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

Spiders help get rid of other insects.

They are kind of helpful!

Well I don't keep any insects on my person so they need to stay the hell away.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    There could be a bee.

you could also get sweaty and muddy and injured in a countless number of ways

as long as we're listing positives, I mean

sarukun wrote: »
    There could be a bee.

Mayhap even a spider

One thing I am NOT looking forward when I move back to Taiwan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_silk_orb-weaver

Eeeeerk! No thanks!!!!

There could be a bee.

Mayhap even a spider

You're talking me into moving to the UK.

I would be up for that, we could hike!!