As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hiking is some of the biggest bullshit ever.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    you guuuuuuuuys I got my first ever bigoted hate tweet because I was talking about how dumb that scouting policy is, I feel like I've finally joined twitter

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    I think that hiking is probably the secret to a monumentally hot ass.

cycling

I know. I need a bicycle though. Problem is, I can't afford one. I'll bet that someone on the forums has one that I could borrow until I can buy my own, but around here there's a 100% chance that it would be stolen or stripped. Ho hum.

Same problem, I'm shite at cycling and would like to learn to stay on a bike. But they cost a lot and we got our back yard broke into and my housemate's bike nicked a few months ago even though it was chained up. There are a lot of stolen bikes.

Bicycles are among the only things that ever seem to get stolen in Japan.

It's mainly bicycles and umbrellas during typhoon season.

• Options
    BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    I don't really hike all that much, but a few years ago I hiked with my Dad up Mt. Major, this small little mountain up in New Hampshire.

I was kind of out of shape at the time, so it got pretty tough for me before we reached the peak, but at the top of the mountain there is a beautiful view of the White Mountains, and wild Huckleberry bushes too. It was pretty great. I wouldn't mind doing that again someday.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Guess I'm gonna post two pictures from this year's EuroPAX!

mountains.jpg

mountaintop.jpg

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Ugh stupid back I hate you >_<

Hey guys I am so inflexible that I can't even do standing toe touch. In fact, I can barely even reach my shins. SO STIFF.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Take up yoga.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    I'm still not entirely sure on the precise difference between hiking and walking.

Hiking is walking where it's OK to pee

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I have a really clear memory of quitting scouting

I was probably 12 or 13 or something and realized that we did something really fun like, once or twice a year and had a bunch of boring meetings. I told my dad that and he was like 'yeah I guess that's about right' and then I moved on to doing other stuff

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

mountains.jpg

mountaintop.jpg

That's some serious The Hobbit shit right there, all up over the Misty Mountains and everything

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Haven't been hiking in forever :( I do crap loads of walking, but it's all flat and there are roads and cars all over and it's just not the same.

• Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    I looove hiking. I am super troubled by the idea that hiking and nature aren't things that can be enjoyed in a city or town. There's the artificial distinction between "civilization" and "wilderness" when actually the latter is just as manmade as the former. Green spaces and enjoying nature should be just as much a possibility in a city as anywhere else.

• Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    I love hiking. I guess if you're a young nerd being dragged out by the family then it sucks; that's how I felt about it when I was a wee 'un. But speaking as a fully grown nerd in the prime of my life, hiking rocks. There's fresh air, time to think about stuff -- I usually rock an episode of Dan Carlin's Hardcore History or some such, which some nature lovers think is sacrilege but back of Jack, it's my hike, I'll do it my way. There's beautiful nature to take in, a definite feeling of accomplishment when I finish, and, let's face it, as a Nerdy McNerdyson, going hiking is oftentimes the only real physical exertion I'll get that day.

If that doesn't do it for you, there are a ton of ways to nerd up hiking. There's geocashing, or playing Ingress, or one of those zombie run apps... anything that gets you out and walking around is a great idea.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Darmak wrote: »

mountains.jpg

mountaintop.jpg

That's some serious The Hobbit shit right there, all up over the Misty Mountains and everything

I'm more of a 'Paths of the Dead' guy, myself.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »

mountains.jpg

mountaintop.jpg

I'm more of a 'Paths of the Dead' guy, myself.

Uh the dark souls thread is over there -->

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Thanks to LotR, I reeeeeeeeallly want to go to New Zealand. I remember watching with the director commentary, and PJ is going on about where they set up this gorgeous scene, and how much of it is actually CGI. I was so surprised that much of the gorgeous background was actually real.

Regarding Scouts, our Girl Guides (Canadian Equivalent of Girl Scouts) was pretty banal. While Scouts were learning how to tie knots, build stuff, and camping, we were resigned to either baking, selling cookies, or doing feminine arts and crafts. It was rather boring.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    I looove hiking. I am super troubled by the idea that hiking and nature aren't things that can be enjoyed in a city or town. There's the artificial distinction between "civilization" and "wilderness" when actually the latter is just as manmade as the former. Green spaces and enjoying nature should be just as much a possibility in a city as anywhere else.

Que?

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    15212.gif

• Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    I think that is suppose to mean that all the trials and camp sites could be considered just as man-made as anything else, regardless of it still being out in the "wilderness". You could definitely go out away from that but following a marked trail that is regularly tended by forest rangers isn't exactly turning life into Middle Earth when you think about it.

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I like hiking

If it's a nice clear sunday, bit of bracing wind, it's nice for a walk in the peaks with some friends

Stop off at a cafe or two for a cup of tea and a bakewell, admire some views, reinvigorate yourself in the English countryside

• Options
    Ohh yeah we have this in my class all the time, we're not allowed to use the word "natural" in regard to landscapes, because especially in the UK there is no bit of land that hasn't be looked over with a fine tooth comb dozens of times! No landscape in the UK is natural, its all been poked and prodded or grazed on.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Man, bring some of that good pulled pork, warm it on your stove, make some coffee, look at view and feel content on every level.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I think that is suppose to mean that all the trials and camp sites could be considered just as man-made as anything else, regardless of it still being out in the "wilderness". You could definitely go out away from that but following a marked trail that is regularly tended by forest rangers isn't exactly turning life into Middle Earth when you think about it.

Yeah, that's fair. I like making my own trails anyway and just striking out in whatever direction until I feel ready to turn around and go back.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Ohh yeah we have this in my class all the time, we're not allowed to use the word "natural" in regard to landscapes, because especially in the UK there is no bit of land that hasn't be looked over with a fine tooth comb dozens of times! No landscape in the UK is natural, its all been poked and prodded or grazed on.

That's cause it's Europe!

(Where the history comes from)

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Goatmon wrote: »

That's cause it's Europe!

(Where the history comes from)

We've had a lot more time and a lot less space to poke around!

• Options
    David Attenborough's poked all of it twice.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

Eh. I dispute this. Just because it's been touched by man doesn't make something unnatural. Nature keeps happening. A forest may be managed by humans but the trees and bushes and animals within are still nature doing its thing.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Is there anything in, say, Scotland that's natural? Or is that all just as farmed over?

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Someone should tell him to look with his eyes, not with his fingers.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I hiked like crazy in my teens, mostly because grew up in the Rockies, and well, hiking was how you got to the good party campsites.

Hiking is a lot easier to get motivated for when the reward is getting drunk and attempting to touch each others naughty bits fueled by teenage hormones.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Eh. I dispute this. Just because it's been touched by man doesn't make something unnatural. Nature keeps happening. A forest may be managed by humans but the trees and bushes and animals within are still nature doing its thing.

Unnatural makes it sound man-made which isn't really what I'm saying. Natural processes still happen in areas where man has been present, but the area is not "natural in the sense thats its been untouched by man, left completely to nature and its own devices" perhaps I should have said "100% natural". If someone takes a section of land and says "I'm going to let this go natural" it'd be considered natural if no one touched it for decades (though it will have had a use before). As soon as you start introducing even native species to that area it stops being 100% natural. It isn't a black and white issue though.

Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Is there anything in, say, Scotland that's natural? Or is that all just as farmed over?
    There's lots of areas in the UK where there are established forests, moors, wetlands etc, but most have areas in the UK are being carefully looked after in terms of conserving them, but even that in a sense is interference by man. Which is not a bad thing! Possibly, some hills may not have had grazing happen on them, but its hard to tell. Certainly everythings been walked on.

Liiya on
  • Options
    How can I tell if the stiffness in my back is from muscles or if I have a fucked up spine? And WHY IS MY BACK SO STIFF

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    How can I tell if the stiffness in my back is from muscles or if I have a fucked up spine? And WHY IS MY BACK SO STIFF

Unless you had a recent traumatic event happen to your back followed by the immediate onset of crippling pain, it is most likely muscles. Even something like a slipped disc would make even standing up at all a massive task, if you could do it at all.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Also stress can easily cause some major tension in the neck and shoulders which easily mucks up the whole rest of your back.

• Options
    Okay. Good news.

• Options
    Try some gentle yoga, DDV. There's tons of video guides on YouTube. It really helps. Not that I've ever stuck with it because I'm lazy, but even straight after a session you feel less tense.

• Options
    I really liked this lady's videos

http://youtu.be/PgQaILIiyO0

• Options
    Yeah yoga is always good, and you can go at your own pace!

Sometimes your back just throws a wobby for no reason. I'd see how long it lasts for, and if any of the yoga helps to improve things.

• Options
    Ana NgAna Ng Registered User regular
    When me and my brother were little our family went walking and hiking a lot. We lived near Ducktrap river (Maine), literally right next to part of it, and would walk the trail or just take a compass and walk out into the middle of the woods and find our way back out to our house. My parents would also have us hike up Bald Rock, I remember they'd always have some hershey kisses in their pocket to keep us motivated hahah!

Bald Rock Mountain is a nice easy hike, I still enjoy doing it when I visit home. What's neat (to me at least) is that if you go past the start of the summit trail and keep going, you can walk all the way to Camden Hills State Park. It's a long walk (for me, I guess, if you're more fit than I am it's probably a piece of cake) but I really want to take my bike out there at some point and go from one end to the other. Last Christmas me, my husband and my dad were able to make it to the half way point on foot. There's a cool little cabin for general public use out there.

If you check it out on google maps you can actually see people standing out at the top of the mountain :D

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Yeah yoga is always good, and you can go at your own pace!

Sometimes your back just throws a wobby for no reason. I'd see how long it lasts for, and if any of the yoga helps to improve things.

Yeah, sometimes the body just goes FUCK YOU out of nowhere.

I had a random cramp in my back while sleeping, once.

I woke up to what felt like my spine attempting to shred it's way out of my torso. I was pretty much bedridden all day, and felt like shit for the better part of a week, if I recall.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204