As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[IC] Warhammer 40,000: Dark Heresy: Shattered Hope

AsherAsher Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Critical Failures
To be Unclean
That is the mark of the Mutant
To be Impure
To be Abhorred
To be Reviled
To be Hunted
To be Purged
That is the fate of the Mutant
To be Cleansed
For that is the fate of all Mutants
~Extract from a Training Chant in the First Book of Indoctrinations
++++++++++ Message Begins ++++++++++

Clearance Code: Inquisition/Vermillion
Astropathic Duct: 1518-8129-Persueus-48
Thought for the Day: "Only in death does duty end."
Attachment: SepharisSecundus84.95.32Data.Vault

My Faithful Servants,
An important matter has come to my attention that requires immediate Inquisitorial input. Unfortunately, my attentions are fully occupied by the investigation on Salis Primus and I am unable to attend. Instead, I am giving you an opportunity to prove yourselves. Though you have not met before, you all earned my trust. You are all exceptional individuals worthy of instruction in the art of investigation and interrogation. You will work together and trust one another. An inquisitor will not hold petty biases in the face of the Great Enemy. Serve me well, and prove that my trust was not misplaced.

You are to investigate the remnants of a cult uprising on Sepheris Secundus. A full history can be accessed in the attached datavault if you so desire, but I will provide you with a summary. Sepheris Secundus is an important mining world that supplies many key planets in the Cailix sector with fuels and ores, the Lifeblood of industry in the Imperium. A Chaos cult was born in the mines, which developed into a full uprising. There was a purge of course, as it could hardly escape the notice of the Inquisition. Unfortunately, the Inquisitor leading the investigation was . . . lax . . . and certain tomes and individuals went undiscovered, left to fester and beget a second uprising. This uprising occurred less that a year ago. A regiment of the Drookian Fen Troops was deployed to crush the uprising, which they did with commendable speed and skill. Unfortunately the situation has become complicated. The remains of the Cultists have hidden themselves in an area of the mines known as the Shatters, far too important for the Guardsmen to simply destroy them with massive Firepower. All men sent in have gone missing, according to the officer in charge. Now, the Guard has to pull out, redeployed by Warmaster Heldrik to combat the Genestealers on Keffia. A small detachment has been left behind to guard the mine entrance but the high command has requested Inquisitorial assistance.

I am inclined to agree, so, this is what you will do, as my Acolytes:
Determine the remaining Strength of the Cult
Investigate the Mines
Purge the enemies of the Imperium

May the Emperor guide your steps,

Anton Zerbe, Inquisitor
Ordo Hereticus

++++++++++ Message Ends ++++++++++

Ensign Dauber was uneasy. Serving in the Emperor's most glorious Navy, he had encountered many strange things, even in just 2 years of service, but he felt nervous as he hurried through the metallic bowels of the Frigate Dutiful. He had heard the tales of the Inquisition, might warriors and great mystics and sages, capable of burning a man with a single glance, or seizing his very soul. He had been both honoured and terrified when he had been told that agents of the Inquisition were being carried by the Dutiful, and doubly so when he had been assigned as their attaché. They were hardly what he had imagined; he had been expecting a great man, and his loyal minions, rather than this assortment of rather scruffy if undeniably sinister group of men and women. He would have sworn that one of them had stolen his drink in a spaceport bar on Malfi once! Nevertheless, he paused as he reached to door to the rooms that had been put aside for the passengers, they had all the correct ID codes. He had just been expecting something grander. Though, his bunkmate Gerd said that inquisitor always traveled in disguise . . . He took a deep breath, and entered the room.

The rooms assigned to the retinue were serviceable, but among the best the Dutiful had. A single large briefing room, an ancient hololithic Display Table set in the center, surrounded by a circle of padded synthleather chairs. There were a couple of couches against the walls, in the same ancient faded synthleather, sitting directly on the cold metal floor. Four doors lead off, each one to a private room, the closest thing to true freedom in the claustrophobic environment of a Space Ship. All four of the passengers were present, involved in personal activities. Dauber coughed, nervously to attract their attention.

"Honoured Passengers, we have just exited the Immaterium and will have achieved a stable Orbit around Sepheris Secundus in approximately 1 hour. A Lander is currently being prepared to transport you down to the surface, when you are ready of course!"

He grinned nervously.

"If there is anything you need, please let me know and I will organize it to be loaded onto the Lander for you."

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
Asher on

• Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Cimbria sat bolt upright in her own synthleather chair, and stared at Dauber quietly. She didn't say anything at all, but then, she rarely did if she could help it. She carried what she needed with her, anyway, so what did she have to tell the poor boy?

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ishmael had spread a cloth across the hololith in front of him, protecting it's emitting surface against grease and gun oil. His hand cannon lay in pieces on top of it, as he cleaned and tinkered with its inner workings, magnification lenses perched on the end of his nose.

He was wearing a plain grey jumpsuit, replacing the coveralls he'd been wearing when discovered hiding about the Inquisitorial lighter, that had been more tatter and dirt than actual cloth. He set down the piece he was working on, carefully wiping off his hands on a clean rag, then unconsciously running his left through his thinning hair.

There was something that struck him as vaguely familiar about the Ensign, but he couldn't place what, nor did it seem of vital importance to do so. Probably the young man only bore a passing similarity to someone he'd known back on Malfi. "A phial of grafine lubricant, and more ammunition for this weapon. 5 clips worth at the minimum, 10, if you can manage it." He spoke in a soft, friendly tone that made the request sound more like a reasonable suggestion than a command.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    "Yes sir! I will pass your instructions onto the quartermaster."
    The young man turned quickly, uneasy and twisting under Cimbria's pink gaze. he faced the other two members of the part ywho had been Silent until now.
    "Sir? Madam? Anything you require?"

Asher on
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Mir sat, sullen and guarded, his eyes flicking from his fellow Inquisitorial Retinue members to the bothersome ensign. He'd killed the alien, the mutant, and the heretic in his time with the Guard but the Inquisitor still treated him almost as a child, a mannerism that infuriated him. His tattoos, his battle experience, the hunts he had accomplished were more than enough to prove his manhood to all, all except the damned Inquisitor.

"If my equipment is already stowed on the lander, I need nothing else," grolwed the man from Fedrid.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    "Have you a device to allow us to commune with the spirits here in this city?" Xanthia said, leaning against one of the walls. Her gaze drifted back from the ensign to the shifting patterns of light moving under her skin, with a sudden movement she pushed herself away from the interface terminal and watched as the illuminations faded away. "If they can barely speak across such short distances, I fear their voices will become even more feint if they must try to convey our messages across the void. If we must travel across the night sky to reach our destination I'd rather not be in the dark about what we will find there." She finished by striking a pose that sent her long blond hair snaking out behind her in a flourish, the look struck Dauber as something straight out of a pulp-sensoria, if only it hadn't been spoilt by the obvious look of concentration during her last speach.
    Slightly misreading the Ensign's expression, Xanthia smiled and moved up close to Dauber, running a finger up and down the front of his jacket. Leaning in conspiratorially she whispered "And if you could possibly find a copy of the next Ulanti's Lovers, I could be very grateful"

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    "I . . . Uh, I will do my best to accommodate your requests my Lady . . ."
    Dauber awkwardly backed away, saluted sharply and strode purposefully out the door with as much dignity as he could muster. Outside he gratefully collapsed against one of the bulkheads, took a deep breath and Wiped the sleeve of his uniform across his brow. They really had unnerved him, in a far more subtle way than the Ork pirates the Dutiful had been combating since Dauber enlisted. Such is the will of the Emperor.
    He went to find the Quartermaster.

Asher on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    An hour or two passed and muffled, distorted voiced passed over the intercomm. The occasional sound of screaming metal echoed down the corridors. Shortly, Dauber returned and saluted sharply.
    "We have achieved orbit Honoured Passangers! The later is prepared and loaded with the materials you requested. If you would follow me?"
    He stepped the the side and indicated the door.

Asher on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Asher wrote: »
    An hour or too passed and muffled, distorted voiced passed over the intercomm. The occasional sound of screaming metal echoed down the corridors. Shortly, Dauber returned and saluted sharply.
    "We have achieved orbit Honoured Passangers! The later is prepared and loaded with the materials you requested. If you would follow me?"
    He stepped the the side and indicated the door.

Mir stood first. "Another day, another one for the Emperor. Lead on."

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ishmael bowed his head after tightening the last bolt on the hand cannon's casing, uttering a brief benediction of functionality, then tested the slide and feed mechanism, inserting and ejecting an unloaded clip. He nodded to himself, apparently satisfied that whatever flaw had led him to disassemble the weapon in the first place had been eliminated.

"In His name," he said, standing, the weapon disappearing into one of the jump suit's larger pockets, his lenses into another, the grease stained clothe into a third. "Goodladies, shall we?" He wondered about what was to come. It was obvious that the four of them were akin to a new work crew, given the basics, but untested, their actual abilities unknown until they were actually given their tools and put to work on the line. The main difference was that if a member of an untried work crew was unable to handle their task, the chance of anyone getting killed was small. He hadn't known them for more than a fortnight, nor they him, but he doubted the Inquisitor would've tasked them with this if he did not think they possessed the capabilities to succeed. As back home, there would be no proof save that provided by the fruits of effort.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Xanthia strode forward towards the entrance, but paused nervously at threshold, still uncomfortable at the thought of only a few feet of steel between her and the void. Unconciously her hand drifted down to the knife at her hip, the touch of something ordinary in this otherworldy place was calming. Closing her eyes, with a deep breath she stepped onto the lander.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Cimbria followed behind the others, quietly taking up the flank the quartet. She was now as silent as ever (had the others heard her speak yet? It was more likely that they had not.) Her eyes, poor as they were and pink like a rat's tail, darted incessantly, took in the ship. It wasn't as foreign to her as it was to the others -- hadn't she grown up on a great, great hulk of a ship herself? -- but it was newer, and it was cleaner. And it was a ship dedicated in service to Him, which really made all the difference.

But she kept her eyes open and followed.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Dauber quickly lead his charges through te winding metal corridors of the ship. Any ship is a warren of twisting tunnels and passageways. Easy to get lost if you did not know the territory well. Ahsmael was unbtroubled, used to straversing much worse tunnels back on Malfi, and Cimbria, a spcae from birth was also used to such claustophbic environments. The members of the party which had hailed from more primative worlds were somewhat troubled by the narrow artificial corridors.

Soon they emerged into the Docking Bay of the Dutiful. A wide open space compared to the tight passages of the rest of the ship. About a hundered meters in length and half as wide, it was occupied by a number of Shuttles and other landing craft. As a Frigate, the Dutiful lacked and attack craft, but the ability to shuttle crew too and fro mthe service is essential in any craft.

Dauber ushered them towards an Arvus Light lander, currently being prepped for launch as the Ground crew ran back and forth, Adjusting pipes, doing last minute repairs and shouting orders above the background runble of the ships engines. Dauber saluted.
    "Here we are! Lieutenant Kai will be your pilot, he's one of our best! I hope that the Emperor sniles upon your Holy Mission."
    He saluted once more, briefly flashed the sign of the Aquila and quickly walked from the bay to attend his duties.

Asher on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Just a few more moments until my feet touch solid ground again, thought Mir as he relished the oppurtunity to set foot on another world. He clambered aboard with almost juvie-like enthusiasm, scooping up a bag marked with his Imperial Guard identifier code.

He strapped in with one hand whilst another worked through the contents of his pack with a calm efficiency, one borne of combat in a dozen theaters on as many worlds. Ration packs, spare ammunition cells, and even Korthak, his prized hunting axe from Fedrid. He took the blade out swiftly, turning it over and examining it for any flaws. It still bore its familiar heft and weight. One of the Techpriests had insulted it, calling it an unbalanced weapon unfit for Guard service, but Mir had not listened to the deranged technosorceror. Korthak bore the notched edge of many a sabre-hunt, and now it was less a weapon than an extension of himself. He found an empty belt loop and put the axe in its familiar place.

A battered Laspistol, navy-issue, was the next prize from the Quartermaster. Its barrel was shorter than the Guard-issue, better for the in-close fights that occurred on starships that cruised the black seas. It found its way to the holster strapped around Mir's thigh, its smaller power packs fitting neatly into pouches on his belt.

The last great prize was the M39 Fortis Binary-pattern Long Las. The weapon was still colored in the dusk red camouflage of his last campaign, fought on the magma murderworld of Theorinze VII. This weapon, a cherished posession, he let rest along his lap. From barrel to stock it was almost a meter and a half long. Thankfully, the M40 Cadia-pattern infantry helmet had been excluded. He'd never know if the Inquisitor ordered it or not, but Mir was silently thankful that the stifling, sensory destroying piece of kit had been left out. It played hell on his ears, muffling them when he could never afford it.

This the practiced Imperial Guardsman did as his fellows boarded. Some, doubtless the more cultured of his companions, would frown on his almost ape-like pawing through the bag. Others, he didn't doubt, would be disturbed by just how long he had gazed at the strange axe, but in truth Mir didn't care. After all was said and done, whether he did his killing for the Inquisition or the Lords Militant, he knew he still served the Imperium and through that, all mankind. Mir knew that, at least until he was old and grey and his withered hands could no longer take up his axe, he would continue to fight for his Emperor.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Ishmael made the additional ammo clips vanish into various pockets before seating himself, taking out the hand cannon and applying a bit of the lubricant before returning both to their respective places. He was glad that the hull lacked view ports. He'd had the misfortune to see out of one once previously, the sight of all that black, limitless space, bounded by nothing, had driven him into an almost uncontrollable panic. The thought of all the openness surrounding the shuttle when it launched made the the back of his scalp prickle, but so long as he didn't have to see it, he'd be all right.

He watched Mir sorting through his kit, giving an approving nod. It was good to see a man who had a rapport with his tools, and held them in the proper respect.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    With a deep roar, the Arvus climbed from the Deck of the Frigate and drifted upwards. From the cramped passenger Harnesses in the back, the four acolytes could barley catch a glimpse of the outside world, but slowly, the metallic hull of the ship peeled back with a high pitched whine that cut straight through the Guttural roar of the lander and was slowly replaced with the star speckled deep blue-black of the void.

With a stomach turning jolt, the Lander lurched forwards and spiraled into space which was quickly replaced with the Sulphur wind swept aspect of Sepharis Secundus below. Down and down the craft roared, jolts and buffets from the violent ash storms that scarred the planets slowly merging into a single vibration that wrenched the passengers within their safety harnesses and a patina of mustard yellow and black dust splatted across the view ports from the toxic storm outside. Eventually this dissipated, and the ride smoothed out as, distant in the viewport, a Mountain range came into sight, jagged grey peaks stabbing the sky, distant clouds lurking high among them. Finally, with a hiss of hydraulics and final thump, the Lander came to a complete halt.
    Planetfall.
    The landing ramp hissed and slowly, jerkily lowered to the ground, and the stench of chemicals washed into the cabin. Agent of the Inquisition have arrive on Sepharis Secundus.
    From the exit ramp of the lander, the edge of the shuttlepad is visible, black tarmac over dark grey soil. A hundred or so meters away the a camp is visible, several lines of Tartan Tents, organised in neat rows. The shout and bustle of the military camp drifts across. The mountains are visible past the tents, looming ominously in the distance.

Asher on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Mir leapt off the lander, happy to be free of Emperor-damned space travel for the first time in what felt like centuries. Dust kicked up around him and he slung his long-las over his shoulder, seeking out any friendly soldiers. The habitations around him were all Guard-issue, though marked with an insignia he didn't recognize, and he heard the shouts of a Guard unit at rest but curiously enough no one had yet come out to greet them.

"I thought Inquisitorial retinues were supposed to get some respect," he complained.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Cimbria stepped softly off of the lander onto the shuttlepad, carefully even, as if she was unsure of the density of where her foot was going to lie. It wasn't that she'd never been planet-side before, but it definitely was new to her. All that sky, and nothing between it and her... it made her uncomfortable, but she kept her composure. Her pink eyes darted back and forth, taking in the sights, even as she concentrated on keeping her balance.

"Fear and respect," she suggested, but didn't finish the thought.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    "The size of the greeting might depend on how visible our activities here are supposed to be." Ishmael twisted his shoulders, keeping his head down so he could see as little of that unbounded sky as possible.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Th sound of hurried footsteps, running, soon caught the attention of the Acolytes. A figure appeared from within the camp and moved quickly towards the landing pad. The figure skidded to a halt infront of the pad, kicking up a small cloud of toxic ash, and cautiously half raised his lasgun. A young Imperial Guardsman stood before the Acolytes, breathing rapidly behind the bulky breath mask that was connected to the bulky pack strapped to his back. he was clad in standard issue Ash-wastes Camouflage, worn by a thousand regiments, over which was strapped dark grey Flak Armour. Wrapped around his chest, in a similar arrangement to bandolier was a Tartan cloth. A similar piece of cloth was wrapped around the stock of the lasgun he was nervously fidgeting with, and cautious eyes darted from under a mop of dark hair. When he spoke his voice was strangely distorted by the rebreather.

"Sirs! Ladies! Welcome to the Gorgonid mines! You are here to help, yes? We've lost all hope ever since, well . . . Sorry! I'm babbling again. Which one of you is the Inquisitor?"

Asher on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Ishmael didn't move his head as his eyes flickered over the others, and then took a step forward. There was a role that needed to be played out here, and he seemed to be the one be suited to fill it. "Our esteemed Master has more pressing matters demanding his attention," he began, the barest hint of reproof edging his tone, "but has deemed the situation well within our humble abilities to handle. You may address any matter demanding his attention to us and know that it will be dealt with accordingly."

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Ishmael didn't move his head as his eyes flickered over the others, and then took a step forward. There was a role that needed to be played out here, and he seemed to be the one be suited to fill it. "Our esteemed Master has more pressing matters demanding his attention," he began, the barest hint of reproof edging his tone, "but has deemed the situation well within our humble abilities to handle. You may address any matter demanding his attention to us and know that it will be dealt with accordingly."

"Listen to the hiver, boy," sneered Mir. "There's nothing the Lord Inquisitor could do that we can't. Where's your superior officer?"

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Cimbria's lips twitched at the corners into a grin. She'd liked that -- nothing the Lord Inquistor could do. Of course, she didn't say so, but then, she didn't ever say much. She didn't do much at all.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    "I uh . . ." The trooper faltered under Mir's Glare, he opens his mouth to speak when another voice, Authoritarian in tone rings out in an impressive bellow.
    "TROOPER JURTZ! YOU LOUSY SON OF A GROX HERDER! HAVE YOU ABANDONED YOUR POST?"
    A large, heavy-set man wearing much the same uniform as Jurtz appears from the direction of the camp, with the addition of a Sergeants stripes on his left sleeve.
    "Uhh . . No sir, Sergeant Reynard sir, I was just heading back now! The Inquisitor's men have arrived!"
    "So I can see you filthy tetra-worm, now get back to your post before I have you flogged!"
    The forlorn trooper hurries back towards the camp and Sergeant Raynard turns to face the Acolytes.
    He is an ugly man, with a broad tattooed face and a nasty scar running down one cheek, his mouth appears to be twisted in a permanent grimace.
    "So! You're the lot the Inquisitor has sent to help eh? You don't look like much to me, but as He wills it . . . How can I help?"

Asher on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Ishmael found himself in the position of de facto leader for the moment. "A full situational report on the situation in the mine, and a tactical update on the Shatters and the surrounding region will be a good start. It will be useful to hear the words of those who have actually been there and fought the depraved servants of the ruinous powers, rather than sifting through the cold words of a data slate."

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    "Very well. I will fetch the information as you requested. In the mean time . . . KEYES!"
    His bellow attracted another Guardsmen, who quickly ran to the Sergeants side.
    "Keyes, take these men to the Lieutenant, they need to talk with him."
    He turns back to the Acolytes.
    "The Lieutenant is the Commanding officer here. He lead the last incursion into the Shatters, he is your man for the information you seek. I will meet you at the Lieutenant's tent as soon as I have the information."
    He nods at you and strides away into the camp site.
    Keyes gestures in a different direction.
    "If you would follow me Inquisitors?"

Asher on