As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Malifaux]2 Ed- Ripples of Fate! Victorian Horror skirmishgame

• InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Ok, so, I got a copy of the M2E Rulebook.. and, uh, its missing a few core concepts. One of which I only think I understand because it was explained in a video. But maybe I'm just missing it in the rules somewhere?

It has to do with Triggers and the suit requirements/generation.

So, to use Lady J as an example, her Greatsword has "MI 7(Ram)" That means it automatically and always generates a Ram, correct? So she has a for-sure Critical Strike with all of her Greatsword attacks that don't say to ignore Triggers, right? Cause that, as far as I can see, is no where in the rulebook.

And second would relate to Riposte. Which is written as "DF (Ram, Mask) Riposte:" So does that mean the Ram/Mask are required in the Defense Flip in order to activate the Riposte? Because Triggers are indented with the cost in front and the name in Italics. But this is in a completely different format. I'm guessing its cost, so that you can't riposte every single attack. But again, I can't find it in the rulebook. They even use an example of one like this, with Rasputina's Sub Zero, as an example of a Stat Trigger..but then don't actually say what the tome in front of it means.

And lastly, Lady J as an example again, for her ability of "Restore Natural Order" has a Ram on the Ca, as well as on the TN. I can sort of understand why the Ca might have it, as there might be some Upgrade that could give a Trigger to any Ca..but what does a Suit on a TN mean? I can't see how that would apply at all.

I'm kind of amazed that, in a 2nd Edition rulebook, that was supposedly beta tested for quite a while, they left out almost everything to do with the Suit symbols in the ability text. In diagram of the Character cards, it just points out the actions and attacks, without breaking down what each individual part of them mean. How do you miss something like that in testing? Did they not have anyone no familiar with Malifaux already try and learn the game from just the book?

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    I don't have time to go through to see where/if it explains this but this will help you for now:

In the case of Lady J's sword, yes, she always gets a "free" Ram for her crit strike. So, yes, she always does + 1 damage on her sword attacks. Moreover, this can stack, so if you add additional Rams to the duel total (by either flipping/cheating in a Ram AND/OR spending a soulstone to add a Ram to the total) it will add additional damage. So if you flipped/ cheated in a card with a Ram on it, Lady J would deal + 2 to her damage. 1 for the built in Ram, and 1 more for the cheated card. It's possible for her to get a total of +3 dmg if you both flip/cheat a Ram AND spend a stone to add another Ram.

For her Riposte, yes, you need both Suites. The Ram is built into her Defense, you need to flip or cheat the Mask OR spend a stone to add the suite to the flip.

For Restore Natural Order, she needs to hit both the TN 17 AND have a Ram in the final duel total. It's built into her Ca for free, but some characters (Sonnia and Raspy) can cancel out people's free Suites. In that case it would still be possible for Lady J to cast it, BUT she'd have to flip/cheat in a Ram or spend a stone to add the suite in addition to hitting a 17 or higher on the duel total.

Another example of this is a Rotten Belle's Lure. It requires a double suite to cast (Crow/Mask), but has both of them built in. This seems superfluous, but it matters because if you tried casting it at Rasputina (who cancels out all auto-suites on Ca actions directed at her) you would lose both suites. Since a Belle is a minion and not a Master/Henchman, they cannot use stones to add a suite to the total, thus it could only hit one of those suites "naturally" (via flipping or cheating a card) and thus Raspy can't be "Lured" ever.

Some people even have auto-suites with no triggers or upgrades associated with it. In these cases it's either because they're intended for an eventual upgrade or because some people have defensive abilities that ping off of someone else's suites.

I hope that helps, I'll peruse the book later to see if/ where it's in there, I do understand that it's confusing and could have been laid out better.

• InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    That makes sense on Restore Natural Order. It never occurred to me, but it seems obvious looking back.

Thanks for the info!

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Out of curiosity, did anyone else happen to back Through the Breach, their RPG Kickstarter from early last year?

Because they're now 6 months late and the silence is deafening. When pressed on the matter, the best we've gotten is "the books are at the printers, the figures are on a boat". That was 3 weeks ago.

For a company that produces some things I enjoy (hell, I have a date to play Malifaux 1.5 with a friend tomorrow evening), they're making it pretty hard to remain upbeat about having given them around $300 15 months ago and having nothing to show for it. Not to mention another buddy also backed at the top tier, and a second buddy got in on one of the middle tiers. All told, a pretty serious chunk of change to just have floating around in the aether.

I had faith they'd make August/September, I believed them when they said they just needed 6 more months to beta test, polish and get things sorted out. Rather disappointed with how they're continuing to act on the matter.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    I'm going to update the thread soon with 2nd wave stuff.
    Work's been tough but it seems to be getting better.

As for Forar and Through the Breach and the problems with that here's Wyrd's Nathan Caroland:
    We could have hightailed this out to keep folks from frothing and going 'but I've been waiting'. You're right, you have been, but 'I' made the decision that I wanted to make certain the product got plenty of testing and that we could put as much extra into the books as possible. If you want to blame someone, you can blame me and stop sending hate e-mail at Mack and some of the other fellas.

I could have made it happen before the end of last year, if I wanted to put out a rushed product and not have it quite where we were happy with it. I tasked Mack and some others to ignore the hollering and the need to just 'get it done' and to instead get it done in a manner that they were both happy and proud to have their name on it. While we were at it, we stuffed the hell out of it with new artwork throughout the whole of the book and we didn't skimp there either - that also takes time.

I could have the KS updated daily with a 'and we're looking forward to it', 'oh we're excited', 'any moment now ...' but lets be honest, that's a waste of your time and a bit condescending to have to keep saying 'its right around the corner'. I want to make certain I have something for you -when I have the physical product in hand, we'll photo it and shoot it out to you to see - of course it'll be shipping right about that time as well. Could we have been more communicative, yeah, most likely and it's something that I'm learning from myself.

Someone earlier was pointing out the time it took to get in some of the M2E books .. yup, I could have some of them in hand pretty damn quick - it's called air shipping them, which is a damn expensive process and usually something we do only when we have to, otherwise it is gets sea shipped. Also depends on the time of the year when we do our printing - sometimes we get straight to the front of the pack and we're scheduled within a couple of days to go to print. Other times there are other jobs, and companies, lined up and that two or three day wait can turn into a three to four week wait - assuming nothing goes wrong. Hell, don't even try to schedule anything if you can help it with the Chinese New Year as that affects everything from production to shipping on everything out of Asia, China or otherwise.

So for those folks that are disgruntled with the time that it has taken, I can only give a sincere apology for the additional time that it has taken. That having been said, I'm not upset for taking it as I think it will make for a much better product that you'll be happy with once you have it in hand. And for you folks that are getting the voodoo doll that our friend Nox has put together, I honestly think y'all will be just excited to see that fella as well as the books (seriously, they are neat).

So, once again - hate mail - you know where to send it. Mack, much as he has pushed and pointed and cajoled, has no control over the speed it gets to you (and believe me, he bends my ear). That said, we are working on getting everything in as quickly as possible, and more to the point, I think you'll be pleased with it once it is in hand.

wyrd-games.net/community/topic/99463-when-will-this-game-be-available-to-non-kickstarters/page-2#entry719061

I don't want this to turn into a griping thread though (regardless if it's deserved) however, so ONWARD Malifaux!

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    No-Quarter, bravo for getting a thread back up!

I've been playing since 1.0 and greatly enjoy the 2.0 changes. The randomized scheme pool gives a lot more player vs player interactions and potential for mindgames (dropping scheme markers could mean lots of things depending on what else is happening on the table).

In 1.0/5, I was a big Pandy/Chompy/Lynch player. The new 2.0 Avatar rules being what they are, however, I'm having a go at aLevi. The 5 Horseman thing has always been rad, but I never enjoyed trying to make base Levi work (in 1.0) with just Riders on the board.

Had a surprisingly even game recently vs. Von Schill as aLevi. I was concerned about getting blown off the board, but, once the Riders start picking up the suits from the turn counts escalating, they really come into their own. I think the game ended up 6-4 Schill, but we both had a blast.

Neurotika on
    Interesting. I was curious how Levi's avatar would fare, I like his base rules, but the Rider stuff doesn't appeal to me.

What do you think of Chompy 2.0?

Have not yet had the pleasure, but I like that you can build him for summons or more Chompy all the time.

Not a huge fan of his Avatar, compared to the 1.5 one, honestly.

ForceVoid wrote: »
    Have not yet had the pleasure, but I like that you can build him for summons or more Chompy all the time.

Not a huge fan of his Avatar, compared to the 1.5 one, honestly.

It's not done yet. The avatar beta will continue in the fall. The Dreamer's is one that def still needs work.

Well, that is true, and, it seemed to me there was an aire of "fuck it, I'm throwing my hands in the air on these Avatars" in Justin's last post moving the playtest back to September.

It also felt kind of random though (moving the playtest back), when it seemed to be going so well...

So, I'm not sure what to expect later this year.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The Avatar playtest was stalling out pretty hard. They are the toughest models to test and the community was suffering some significant playtest burnout. He was staying really consistent with updates, but he really wasn't getting many battle reports.

Pretty much. We've been doing beta stuff for almost a full year and half now, so I'm not surprised they had us taking a break.

As for gencon I can only assume/ hope they'll have some wave 2 kits available- I'm lookin at you Molly and Dreamer with the distinct possibility of a Jack Daw nightmare edition.

Molly's a blast to play with by the way.

I really love how flavorful Jack plays now with the curse "upgrades."

• UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    So, for Father's Day my wife ordered me the 2E rulebook and several starter crews. I've been eyeing the models for a few weeks now; I really like the looks of a lot of them, and figure even if I don't have much chance to play, they will be something fun to paint (and a good intermission to painting Khador).

Since I couldn't decide what I liked the look of best / want to have a few crews to play with friends (since they are basically tapped out on buying miniatures), I ended up ordering four different start crews, based on what looked the most fun to paint:

Guild's Judgement (Lady J)
    Body of Evidence (McMourning)
    Claw and Fang (Marcus)
    Hired Swords (Viktorias)

Now the question is whether my wife will let me play with my toys when they arrive, or if I have to wait until Father's Day :persevere:

That's awesome UreshiiAkuma! You'll have to let us know your thoughts on the 2ed rules from a new player standpoint (especially coming from a very technical rules set like WarmaHordes).

I'll definitely post my thoughts on the models, rules, etc. as I get them.

I first got interested in Malifaux when I saw it mentioned as a game that had low-model count per game and worked well with lots of terrain. I've always liked making and playing with as much terrain as possible, which Warmahordes (and when I played Warhammer before it) did not support as well.

Once I investigated Malifaux, I discovered I really like the aesthetic. Using cards instead of dice intrigues me, and I am interested to see how the game flows.

My order is set to arrive today! So, of the starter boxes I am getting, are any two better for doing some learning / intro games? If so, I'll focus on getting those models assembled first. Otherwise I'll start with what looks coolest :smile:

Lady J or Viks
    vs
    McMourning would be my suggestion. Rezzer Masters are notoriously hard to kill, so he makes for a good demo game, as you can be a bit more reckless. While I haven't played Lady J in 2.0, she's pretty killy since she's got a high melee stat on her sword + free ram for crit, and her crew has some ranged punch (common for Guild).

@No-Quarter, @admanb - What are your thoughts on 2.0 Marcus? I am woefully uneducated on him.

ForceVoid wrote: »
    Lady J or Viks
    vs
    McMourning would be my suggestion. Rezzer Masters are notoriously hard to kill, so he makes for a good demo game, as you can be a bit more reckless.

Excellent, thanks for the suggestion. If I was going purely on which models I was most excited to assemble, my first choice would be the Viks box, followed by McMourning, so that fits nicely with your suggestion.

I did get my package yesterday, I looked at the fate deck (so pretty), opened a couple of the crew boxes, and started reading the rules.

I am wondering if the over-sized Ronin are still in crew boxes or not; one of my Ronin does seem larger, but it is hard to tell on the sprue, and could just be my imagination thanks to reading about the issue online. Anyone know if there are guides to tell if you have the oversized models? My google-fu failed me.

I am liking what I am reading of the rules so far, although I did not get too far in, just through the duel mechanics.

I feel like they had a size comparison on the official forums at one point, but I can't check right now.

I was able to search the forums some more, and it sounds like the Ronin scale issue was GenCon only, and not something that was present in the retail release, so I can set my paranoia aside, and just enjoy assembling some awesome models!

@‌UreshiiAkuma Sorry I've been absent. Congrats on the models man! Here's a little rundown on your models.

Guild's Judgement (Lady J)- Great for starter games. Straightforward and easy to understand.

Body of Evidence (McMourning)- A little more tricky. Ressers are resilient, McMourning is all about poison, Sebastian is a fantastic henchman. I would reccommend picking up a blister of canine remains and/ Guild Autopsies.

Claw and Fang (Marcus)- I have little experience with him outside of the fact that he has one of the largest crew pools in the game

Hired Swords (Viktorias)- They play like Eldar, they're squishy but super killy. With the Vikks, you basically get 1 charge that destroys half the enemy crew. As for the oversized models, you;ll be able to tell because they'll be head and shoudlers larger than the models from the other kits.

edited June 2014
    Thanks for the run-down, @No-Quarter‌

Most of my hobby time this weekend went towards painting some Warmachine models, but I did start work on the Hired Swords box. I assembled one of the Viks, as well as one of the Ronin. I love the detail on the models and their looks, but man are there a lot of little pieces :smile: But the end result is definitely worth the extra effort it takes. Oh, I also assembled Cojo, because I needed to do something with nice big parts that easily fit together!

EDIT:
    Does anyone have a suggestion for a "standard loadout" when it comes to markers and tokens for playing a game. I realize the amount you need will vary on your crew/schemes, but it'd be useful to get a general list that'd cover a crew 80% of them time. (For example, "10 scheme markers, 5 corpse markers, 5 condition tokens," etc.)

UreshiiAkuma on
    edited June 2014
    10 corpses, 10 schemes (per side) and generic "black" bases never hurt either for things like Squatter's Rights.

This is a great sight for scenic bases in general, but they make EXCELLENT corpse tokens:

secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=79_30_86

This site also has lots of tokens for all the masters/ factions.

cogotwo.com/search.html?searchphrase=all&searchword=malifaux

No-Quarter on
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    I like the idea of using the Secret Weapon corpse field bases as corpse markers. Thanks for linking the other site as well, may have to try some of their tokens if international shipping is not too bad.

I did manage to read through all the rules over the weekend, although I want to do a second reading before I try playing. I started reading the fluff and some of the rules for the models I have as well. I enjoy how a lot of the abilities and attacks have unique, sometimes humorous names. I also did not realize there was a faction made up of drunken hillbilly goblins. Do Want.

As a WarmaHordes player, how do you find the Strategy/Scheme setup? I think it is a very strong point in the game's favor. Trying to figure out what your opponent has chosen in order to foil their plans leads to some very interesting play/counter-play.

@ForceVoid‌ While I'll need to wait to play to give a true verdict, I can say from a read of the rules, I love the Strategy/Scheme setup. I especially like the fact that it is the default mode of play; sure Warhammer/WarmaHordes have variations and scenarios available, but with my group it is hard to get anyone to play anything other than straight-forward games.

Additionally, the idea of having secret schemes, and just the variety of schemes and the fluff behind them is great. I really need to hurry up and get some models together to try a game!

One other thing I like about Malifuax: pre-measuring. I realize this is something that causes gaming holy wars, but for myself personally, I find my turns go a lot quicker and more smoothly if I am allowed to premeasure. When I can't, I spend more time hemming and hawing over whether I can make a certain distance or not :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Agreed

Here's a pic of Jack Daw's crew (the 3 Guilty in various execution.torture accoutrments , Lady Ligeia, Monstresor with the noose, and Daw himself).:

ekizreb5z9p8.jpg

man the Guilty look reeeeal good. Has anyone here ever played an old Playstation game called The Suffering?

edited June 2014
    Oooh, I really like the look of those. Another thing I am finding I like about Malifaux is that it seems like the artwork for models matches the actual models themselves. (I don't know if this is always the case, but it is at least for the models I have).

I've managed to assemble all of the Claw and Fang box. Getting the snake to fit right was a big pain, and he'll still require a bit of greenstuff. Other than that, I love the look of the models.

Now on to assembling the Lady J box.

UreshiiAkuma on
    Yeah, the artists and sculptors are really on the same page.

Finished assembling the Hired Swords box yet. These are both some of the best looking and most difficult models I've had to assemble ... so many teeny fiddly bits!

Yeah, imagine them in soft metal! I'm quite pleased with their new plastics.

Yea, the fact that they are plastic helps a lot, as at least being able to use plastic-cement makes it a lot easier to get the parts to stick together. I am definitely impressed with the plastics. And (comparing with my Warmachine plastics), the moldlines are much better placed on these models :smile:

I almost have my crew boxes completely assembled. I just have Sebastian and the Scales of Justice left.
    I spent an hour looking for a Nurse head that I dropped on our carpeted floor. I was almost ready to make her a headless Nurse, when I finally found it impossibly far away from where I was working.

I've read through the rulebook a couple times, and I am hoping to get one of my friends to try it out with me soon. I figure our first game will be around 15 pts, which seems like it'll support a Henchman leader plus 2 or 3 minion models. I think that should be a good size for working out the rules and feel of the game. I imagine the hardest thing to get used to will be playing for the strategies / schemes, and not just trying to kill the other side. I also think that is what I like most about the game.

That's a decent point level to start with. I would recommend just doing standard deployment with 1 strategy (Turf War or Reckoning) and perhaps 1 scheme per side for your first few games. Also playing without upgrades is a decent way to learn as well.

Good luck!

( I Played 2 games yesterday, loss with Colloddi vs Sommer Teeth Gremlins, and a win with Sonnia vs Resser McMourning.)

@UreshiiAkuma‌

Have you ever thought about playing on vassal? It's a great way to learn and play more games than you could normally.

edited July 2014
    You know, I've thought of looking into Vassal for Warmachine before, but hadn't thought of it for Malifaux. Maybe I'll try to find some time to figure out how to use it and get it set up. At the very least, I assume it could help me get a feel for the mechanics of the game so I'm a little more experienced when trying to teach my friends.

I like your suggestion for starting with a standard deployment with 1 strategy, and 1 scheme, to make it so there is a little less to manage initially.

UreshiiAkuma on