As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EVE] A friend is just a spy that hasn't betrayed you yet.

• DigitoDigito Registered User regular
    So out of curiosity how's Merch been doing these days anyways? I got tired of nullsec last time, ragequit EVE, and then came back a few months back to join up with BNI because they sounded like pretty chill folks to play with. Which they were!

Up until making some reeeeally stupid decisions that sucked all the fun out of everything.

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Welp. Exploration still sucks. Hacking game is bullshit, lootspew is dumb and designed by someone who doesn't play the game, yadda yadda.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Lootspew?

• LeoninLeonin Registered User new member
    Basically when you finish the exploration minigame (which is pretty arbitrary so far, maybe with rigs it might be a little less bullshit) a bunch of loot cans spew out of the bigger can, and you have to click on them at random to get anything. And clicking on them is buggy, laggy, and generally doesn't work worth a damn.

I... think this was designed to force us to group up to get anything, or to make it so you can't automate exploration. Which makes sense, because when you're talking about something maybe 1% of the playerbase does, it's best to make it as annoying, restrictive, and unprofitable as possible.

Meanwhile, 75% of highsec miners are still bots.

The lootspew mechanic and minigame would make a ton more sense on space rocks, btw. Prospecting minigame, when you "hit the mother lode" a bunch of minerals and junk come flying out of the rock, you get to click on them to suck them up... more importantly, it would probably go quite a bit towards killing bot mining.

• CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    Loot spew is a dumb mechanic, but clicking on the cans works just fine. Clicking on one queues it to be tractored if you're already tractoring one (and haven't queued another already), and you have to be within range (2500-ish) for it to work.

Also, man you complain a lot.

• EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    Yeah, for anyone reading this, most people who enjoy EVE as much as Xython aren't playing it anymore.

Bah! If you're not furiously angry at EVE from time to time, you're not engaged. :P

I'm just annoyed that I spent ~7 hours of ratting income on trying out exploration and it's been :CCP:ed.

• onesixty2onesixty2 Registered User regular
    CCP just made exploration worthwhile, and they're making it so the loot cans don't spew out.

edited March 2014
    Digito wrote: »
    So out of curiosity how's Merch been doing these days anyways? I got tired of nullsec last time, ragequit EVE, and then came back a few months back to join up with BNI because they sounded like pretty chill folks to play with. Which they were!

Up until making some reeeeally stupid decisions that sucked all the fun out of everything.

we're still in gsf, still doing null sec sov grind with the rest of the cfc.

if you're in BNI, you'll probably see a few mrchi killing you in the near future! squads just deployed to the south / east again. was that 'stupid decision' deciding to align to n3?

overall GSF loves bni, you guys are super adorable and warm even the bitterest of vets. keep undocking and having fun, that is what the game is about.

onesixty2 on
    I kind of want to start an account, and only fly small ships (maybe a BC, but probably just cruiser and under).

But, that's not a profitable way to play the game, so...

edited March 2014
    I kind of want to start an account, and only fly small ships (maybe a BC, but probably just cruiser and under).

Not necessarily the case. Interceptors are fantastic, CFC runs harpy fleets as strategic fleets these days so if you are considering joining merchi, you're covered there.

Making ISK, well yea that would require either having an Ishtar, exploration, scamming, or well i'm not sure what else aside from a hisec alt. *edit* You could easily set up PI. Isn't the best money, but it is certainly enough if you are only planning on cruisers and below. Skill plan to be ready to set up 5 planets is just under a month's training.

If you aren't interested in joining mrchi, take a look at Red vs Blue. They constantly run t1 frig fleets and other assorted small kitchen sink fleets. Easily the most fun you can have with minimal commitment or effort.

onesixty2 on
    You could fly Bursts, Scythes, and Exequrors (T1 logistics, between them you have almost every fleet covered) exclusively and never need to make any isk because reimbursement would cover all of your costs.

Yeah, I meant to actually play the game though.

i'm not sure this clarified anything

Do you mean PVE or something? We're basically telling you you can specialize in small ships and be welcome, useful, and basically paid to PVP.

Heck, the best PVE ship is the Ishtar right now, and it's just a fancy hair dryer cruiser.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular

How much profit do you need to fly small ships?

onesixty2 wrote: »
    Digito wrote: »

we're still in gsf, still doing null sec sov grind with the rest of the cfc.

if you're in BNI, you'll probably see a few mrchi killing you in the near future! squads just deployed to the south / east again. was that 'stupid decision' deciding to align to n3?

overall GSF loves bni, you guys are super adorable and warm even the bitterest of vets. keep undocking and having fun, that is what the game is about.

Aligning with n3 I wasn't super keen on but I could live with it. The stupid decisions would be everything else that's going on right now. Most of the veteran players seem to insist things are alright but right now it's a terrible time to be a poor or low SP pilot in BNI (IE: A newbie), since we're getting pretty much reamed in every single fight. This by itself wouldn't be too bad, it's still kinda fun.

Except we have no reimbursement whatsoever and our local market is pretty much empty, and buying doctrine fits through the alliance ain't cheap. Tackle frigates run about two million a pop last I had managed to check. (I let my account lapse because the constant dying, going broke, and having to deal with TEST on comms killed what fun I was having. Giving it a few weeks before I try resubbing.)

Every single player is expected to pay for their own ships as well as replace all losses on their own budget, and this is getting really expensive really quickly, not to mention placing the brunt of the cost of the war on our actual newbies instead of on the alliance itself. All the while the only program we have in place to help newbies is a free skillbooks program. Making ISK? They're on their own to figure that one out. Supposedly we're "doing a good job" and "TEST is paying us" but thus far, if we are being paid? None of it is making down to the rest of us and it's beginning to feel a little bit like we're being screwed here.

Turns out that sovwar is really expensive and hard work, huh?

There's that possibility too, yeah. BNI might just plain be completely broke hence our total lack of any reimbursement whatsoever and expecting our newbies to somehow front the cost of a war by themselves.

Anyone questioning it in alliance chat just gets shot down right away too and they seemed to be encouraging people to just not think about it or question it, which is markedly different from the atmosphere of BNI three months ago. It's a huge bummer because they used to be so chill about things too.

• CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    TEST doesn't strike me as the kind of alliance who would hire mercenaries, chiefly because they don't strike me as being able to afford mercenaries. I would be surprised if BNI were actually getting paid more than some token amount.

I received a Cynabal named "Santa's DEATHSLEIGH" for this year's Secret Santa, and we are currently on a MRCHI roam to get it on a killmail, one way or another.

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    TEST doesn't strike me as the kind of alliance who would hire mercenaries, chiefly because they don't strike me as being able to afford mercenaries. I would be surprised if BNI were actually getting paid more than some token amount.

If anyone is paying anyone, it is N3 or Pl paying HERO as a whole. However, that would require N3 or PL to want to support their meatshields, and I find that unlikely.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    Heh people are getting pretty worked up after reading CCP's 2013 financials.

And so they should be.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Not good?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Did they spend all their money on that statue?

Yeah it's a 22 million dollar statue

hahahaha what the fuck? i don't even know what this statue is, let alone why it's more important than fixing the UI

V1m wrote: »
    Heh people are getting pretty worked up after reading CCP's 2013 financials.

And so they should be.

Oh? What all about? Are they bleeding money or something?

They've written down 21.3 million bucks worth of "expected asset value" or some such from their codebase. So basically some chunk of code that they thought was worth $x is now only worth $x-21300000.

They actually made an operating profit of $10M or so, which is pretty decent for an outfit of their size.

They've written down 21.3 million bucks worth of "expected asset value" or some such from their codebase. So basically some chunk of code that they thought was worth $x is now only worth $x-21300000.

So... that's them writing off WOD then?

There are two large assumptions implict in that question.

• EtheaEthea Registered User regular

Okay the first one is that they think WOD is worth anything. What is the second.

The Riddler strikes again!

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    CCP wrote:
    During the year the company assessed its capitalized development assets and determined that a portion of those assets would
    likely not have future economic benefits. IAS 38 requires that such assets should be derecognized and removed from the balance
    sheet. The expense related to the derecognized assets are presented as part of research and development expense in the
    statement of comprehensive income

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Ethea wrote: »

Okay the first one is that they think WOD is worth anything. What is the second.

The logical consequence.

• ZaspZasp Registered User new member
    I sure hope the statue will look amazing.

• LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    Afaik, CCP has four major peices of code. EVE:O, which isn't going anywhere, EVE:Valkyrie, which is new enough and still full of PR potential that it won't get written off, WoD, which everyone keeps forgetting about cause who cares, and Dust514, which is a consol shooter pandering to a bunch of PC diehards.

Of those four, which do you think A) CCP has invested 20M and B) CCP would drop.

A write down of the expected asset value is not the same as abandoning that asset. All will be revealed (for parsimonious values of "all") at Fanfest, which is in 1 month.

• EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    A write down of the expected asset value is not the same as abandoning that asset. All will be revealed (for parsimonious values of "all") at Fanfest, which is in 1 month.

hmmm, they could be selling off WoD or Dust514, and they had to write down the difference between the sale value, and the documented value.

Edit: Or maybe they are just throwing WoD out totally, if the deal to buy white wolf now allows it.

Ethea on
This discussion has been closed.