As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Diplomacy - Franco-German Tie

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Next deadline will be tomorrow, to allow MrMister to sort his country out.

So moves are in 27 hours then?

MrMister on
  • Options
    nindustrialnindustrial Word Typer Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    MrMister wrote:

That's what it appears to be. Also, same email address I'm assuming?

EDIT: Oh! And welcome, of course!

nindustrial on
    chstreamsig.jpg
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    MrMister wrote:

From the time of that post, yes, and then every 24 hours after that. That's the cut-off point - you can submit your moves at any time before that.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    MrMister wrote:

From the time of that post, yes, and then every 24 hours after that. That's the cut-off point - you can submit your moves at any time before that.

I assume we are also allowed to change our moves at any time up to that point? If so, then I would be able to send in provisional moves at the beginning of the turn, so that my armies would have orders in case I miss the deadline.

Though I suppose that would run the risk of everyone submitting and getting my provisional orders adjudicated before getting a chance to revise them--since you adjudicate at 9am or as soon as all the orders are in, whichever comes sooner

MrMister on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    MrMister wrote:
    MrMister wrote:

I assume we are also allowed to change our moves at any time up to that point? If so, then I would be able to send in provisional moves at the beginning of the turn, so that my armies would have orders in case I miss the deadline.

Though I suppose that would run the risk of everyone submitting and getting my provisional orders adjudicated before getting a chance to revise them--since you adjudicate at 9am or as soon as all the orders are in, whichever comes sooner
    Orders sent in are final. I went ahead and forwarded you RBB's e-mail adressing that.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    You'll basically want to make whatever pacts and plans you're going to via Gmail, then email me your orders at RBBlue@gmail.com whenever you're ready, after which they're considered final. If you make a horrible mistake or something of the sort you can email me and I'll change it, but it's an awful hassle if everybody sends in two or three sets of orders, so try to get them worked out before you send them in.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Er, we're in a retreat phase currently, so the only orders that need to go in are where Russia is moving that Fleet right? Then it's a build phase, but we can't do that until we know where Russia is moving.
    Edit: Ah, I see you updated the map, never mind then, still a build phase now and I don't have anything to do (as usual).
    Edit2: Wait, let me see if I can guess the one build order.
    Austria builds an Army in Budapest

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Er, we're in a retreat phase currently, so the only orders that need to go in are where Russia is moving that Fleet right? Then it's a build phase, but we can't do that until we know where Russia is moving.
    Edit: Ah, I see you updated the map, never mind then, still a build phase now and I don't have anything to do (as usual).
    Uh, we're in a movement phase.

Unless Austria is somehow managing to get 5 units with only 4 supply centers...?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Thanatos wrote:

Unless Austria is somehow managing to get 5 units with only 4 supply centers...?
    I still control Greece, Than.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Okay, updated. If all the turns are in within the next six hours, we can go back to normal deadlines; otherwise, this Spring will last for 30 hours and we'll go back to normal after that.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:

I still control Greece, Than.

You do?

Oh. I need to update my map.

MrMister on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So...what's going on with this? The first page doesn't seem to be updated with the latest moves, are we still sending in our orders for this next turn as usual?

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    It's as I said above. All the moves weren't in within six hours, so now we're back to the regular schedule with this turn lasting until 9 a.m. UTC today (i.e. six hours from now) and then proceeding with 24 hour turns. I haven't updated yet because England and Russia still havent sent in their moves.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Not trying to be a total dick, but - why are we waiting? When I was late with my turns, I was left in the dust, and I was fine with it - those were the rules we agreed to.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Probably because RBB said we had until the deadline tonight, for the record I'm just waiting on confirmation from Russia before I send in my orders.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Not trying to be a total dick, but - why are we waiting? When I was late with my turns, I was left in the dust, and I was fine with it - those were the rules we agreed to.
    I set the deadline to tonight, so that we could get back into proper time. If they don't submit their turns by the deadline, they too will be left in the dust.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Orders are in. God save the King

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Updated at last. We should be able to fall back into a fairly regular turn progression now. Like always, it's the retreat phases that are stuffing things up.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    The map doesn't seem to reflect the moves--for example, shouldn't the fleet from Sevastapol be in the Black Sea right now? Also, you're showing a Germany army that should be in Kiel as being in the North Sea.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Also the fleet in Edinburg should really be in the North Sea, given that it tried to move there and no one else did--which also makes the retreat from Denmark to the Helgoland Bight a forced move, rather than the currently shown retreat into the North Sea.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I think I put up the wrong map to begin with.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    So, um, what's the turn schedule looking like?

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Austria hasn't submitted yet, but it's only ten minutes to deadline so the turn'll be up shortly either way. Everything's fine.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Well, I give up.

Prime Minister Kayne officially resigned from Parliament today and announced his intention to move to the Americas.

We need a new sod to finish the job of killing England. If you think you can repair the damage I've done feel free to sign up.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    In accordance with the rules, England's pieces will hold position and take no action, and any destroyed units will not be rebuilt. 'Tisn't very sporting, though.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Just double checking here, but I assume that as Russia hasn't sent retreat orders and no builds have occurred yet that the deadline for Spring 1905 is not this coming morning..

nindustrial on
    chstreamsig.jpg
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    In accordance with the rules, England's pieces will hold position and take no action, and any destroyed units will not be rebuilt. 'Tisn't very sporting, though.

Lurker's Comment - This is the biggest problem in PBEM Dip. The logistics of scrambling to find players as a GM has left me more than a little frustated in games. Simply leaving a left over position open is not an option unless the player is dropping a one SC cripple -- it gives too much of an unfair advantage to the powers that stabbed him.

Doronron on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Well, RBB found me to fill France. It does ruin the game when major powers drop, but at this point England's drop just accelerates what was already going to happen. That acceleration might turn out to be important, but it's not like what would happen were, say, Germany to drop now.

Anyway, England needs to disband a fleet. IIRC, it's the one that's farthest away from his home supply centers, going alphabetically if there's a tie. So, Denmark? I can't be assed to actually reread the rules to find that though.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Actually. I think I just came up with a solution for dropped players.

Their land territory is made impassible (ala Switzerland), and the victory conditions for SCs is adjusted accordingly.

It'd work if you want a Dip game to center around a single war, but in much larger games where multiple wars can and do take place, it gets a little silly.

Hmmm.

Gonna have to think on that one. It might work for a couple of my variants...

Doronron on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Doronron wrote:

Their land territory is made impassible (ala Switzerland), and the victory conditions for SCs is adjusted accordingly.

It'd work if you want a Dip game to center around a single war, but in much larger games where multiple wars can and do take place, it gets a little silly.

Hmmm.

For England, yeah, that works. For, say, Germany or France... not so much. You either block people in or make them go the long way around half the continent through a bottleneck, and then they're sitting ducks.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    mtvcdm wrote:
    Doronron wrote:

Hmmm.

For England, yeah, that works. For, say, Germany or France... not so much. You either block people in or make them go the long way around half the continent through a bottleneck, and then they're sitting ducks.

The bottlenecking would also have the potential to create dramatically more drawn positions than already exist.

Furthermore, currently Civil Disorder unfairly favors the people who were at war with the person who drops. Impassibility would unfairly punish them.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    In this scenario, it wouldn't work well. I was not suggesting it as a rules change to the game you're currently involved in.

As a game mechanic in a variant, it has potential.

Doronron on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Unless anyone gets any good ideas for England or someone wants to join and play a country that's inevitably doomed, they'll have to stay as they are. Possibly there's some sort of compromise - I could disband the armies in non supply-centres first, and all remaining armies count as supporting each other if they're in contact. That makes it slightly more difficult for opposing players to root them out.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Well, nobody's offered anything better, so I'll go ahead with that method.
    For those of you who were worried we'd be moving soon, winter counts as a full turn, so the deadline is a little over 24 hours away.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Sorry the update was an hour late guys, I was busy with other things.

Austria is now open for new players.

Edit: What the hell, I know I updated that map.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited October 2006

Austria to? Hell, this game is falling apart fast, especially messing with alliances and such.

Neaden on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Neaden wrote:

Austria to? Hell, this game is falling apart fast, especially messing with alliances and such.

Yeah, civil disorder messes things up nicely. That's one of the things I certainly read was that having a "neutral" country is a killer.

nindustrial on
    chstreamsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    As of right now, twenty minutes past the deadline, I have two countries' orders. If I go through with these, it'll ruin one of the remaining countries to the extent that they'll probably want to drop out of the game.
    The game is on hold until everyone still playing can post in this thread and either commit to it or drop out. Then we'll find replacements for any players who leave.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fast AustinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I wouldn't mind giving this a shot if you need players. I've always wanted to try diplomacy.

Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I can continue to make it (though I think I was late this time). However, due to the recent irregularities I've become pretty confused as to when the moves are and all that business, so it'd be nice to have an explicit schedule posted if/when we continue.

We could also have a policy of not moving on weekends, which might help people out.

Furthermore, I'm not that invested in this game, having only started three or so moves ago, so if too many people drop out and we can't continue I won't be shattered.

MrMister on