As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Agents of Shield] Thread is under quarantine for potential Captain America 2 spoilers!

• poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Nah, it's probably just lazy directing and producing.

I'm not picky, so I can live with it. But I can't help noticing it sometimes.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    It's a problem with the show. They do have a really blasé attitude towards some pretty serious subject matters. They've gone into other countries and killed people there. They don't even just kill criminals, they kill soldiers and guards who were basically just doing their job.

Well, to be fair, they are a clandestine organization who's overseen by a mysterious council that is perfectly willing to authorized nuclear strikes on densely populated cities. Compared to that, dropping into a country and killing a dozen or two soldiers doesn't seem like a big deal.

You'd think that Rising Tide would be more concerned about SHIELD's secret murders than hiding super powered people from the public.

Also, Fury was against nuking New York. He was concerned about collateral damage. No one on this team seem to be that bothered by what they've been doing.

KingofMadCows on
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Was there ever anything to confirm that rising tide was an actual group? I always got the feeling that it was just Skye and her boyfriend. Particularly after the conversation they had about him hacking for money in the scorch episode.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    It's a problem with the show. They do have a really blasé attitude towards some pretty serious subject matters. They've gone into other countries and killed people there. They don't even just kill criminals, they kill soldiers and guards who were basically just doing their job.

On a related note, I don't think that I've seem what happened to Ward described as rape.

Flip the genders, it's obviously a really horrific rape.

As it is, people are concerned about him and his relationship with May, not so much about Ward getting raped.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Also, Fury was against nuking New York. He was concerned about collateral damage. No one on this team seem to be that bothered by what they've been doing.
    When has anybody on the show tried to nuke a city?

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Maybe he was just a really method actor who decided to join a group of bikers in order to study for a role that he got cast in next season's "Sons of Anarchy."

I was hoping for something like

Lorelei: Now tell me about yourself, Rooster.
    Rooster: I'm a deep cover operative for the FBI, investigating illegal gun-running and drug trafficking with this biker gang.

• OatsOats Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Maybe he was just a really method actor who decided to join a group of bikers in order to study for a role that he got cast in next season's "Sons of Anarchy."

Rooster: I'm a deep cover operative for the FBI, investigating illegal gun-running and drug trafficking with this biker gang.

Rooster: I was led to the organization by my boss' genius brother, who is a mathematician.

Taramoor wrote: »

"You see this nose? This is a fake nose. You want to wear a fake nose on your fucking head? For, like, months on end!"

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

On a related note, I don't think that I've seem what happened to Ward described as rape.

Flip the genders, it's obviously a really horrific rape.

As it is, people are concerned about him and his relationship with May, not so much about Ward getting raped.

while i agree they kind of skipped over that, i think shows/stories like this tend to skip over the personal, ethical repercussions of mind control in general

because even if mind control isn't used in a sexual way, it's a profound and extremely disturbing violation of someone's body and mind all by itself. it would be deeply, lastingly traumatic. this kind of mind control especially - the kind where it almost slips seamlessly into your normal behaviour and you're totally aware of what you're doing, it's just that new motivations and desires have been inserted into your personality. how could you ever feel like you're still the same person? how could you ever trust your desires or impulses? etc.

that's really grim and to explore it psychologically would be depressing and kind of horrifying.

and that's true of a lot of superpowers. if Lorelai punched May hard enough to knock her twenty feet across the room, directing that much force into an area as small as her fist, she would have caved in May's chest and pulped her organs, or at least caused severe damage.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    I wonder if keeping Coulson away from Lorelai was deliberate
    ie I bet her powers wouldn't work on him cause of his nebulous post resurrection superpowers we've yet to be told about

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I bet her powers wouldn't work on him because he's Coulson and he's fucking awesome.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    I wonder if keeping Coulson away from Lorelai was deliberate
    ie I bet her powers wouldn't work on him cause of his nebulous post resurrection superpowers we've yet to be told about

Exposing Coulson to Lorelai's powers would provide more information one way or the other about the effect of his resurrection and the injection, amongst other things.

From a writing perspective it's just easier to not give any information either way, so you avoid being locked into a specific interpreation later on.

Taramoor on
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Do we know he broke any laws?

Unless he's cosplaying being an outlaw biker, I'd be surprised if he hadn't. They're like the mafia or yakuza, with organized criminal organizations members break laws is like breathing.

Man, when is the last time you've actually heard of criminal biker gangs in real life? It's kind of just a normalized subculture at this point, rather than a have for criminal activities. Shit, the Hell's Angels hold charity drives.

Beyond that, the dude's wife owns a bar. Not exactly running under the radar to operate a criminal syndicate out of the bar owned by a relative.

Speak to the police sometime about what your local biker gang is up to, and you will probably find out about some horrific shit if they are allowed to tell you and it isn't all pertaining to an active investigation. Also remember that a Charity is an excellent way to launder money, or to grift the donors.

Beyond that, remember that Rooster brought Lorelai a bag full of money, and Coulson was able to track them by the increase in crime in the area, and you have pretty good indication that Rooster and his cohorts were robbing people/businesses.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Like, her powers work on any man. Human, alien, it doesn't seem to matter. I think we (and especially Coulson) would've noticed if he were no longer a man.
    Though that would be an explanation of why he wanted to die.

Ron Glass: "Agent Coulson, we saved your life, but Son of Coul, Jr. didn't make it. Little Phil won't fill anything. We're saying your dick is gone."

Coulson: "LET ME DIE!"

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Unless he's cosplaying being an outlaw biker, I'd be surprised if he hadn't. They're like the mafia or yakuza, with organized criminal organizations members break laws is like breathing.

Man, when is the last time you've actually heard of criminal biker gangs in real life? It's kind of just a normalized subculture at this point, rather than a have for criminal activities. Shit, the Hell's Angels hold charity drives.

Beyond that, the dude's wife owns a bar. Not exactly running under the radar to operate a criminal syndicate out of the bar owned by a relative.

Speak to the police sometime about what your local biker gang is up to, and you will probably find out about some horrific shit if they are allowed to tell you and it isn't all pertaining to an active investigation. Also remember that a Charity is an excellent way to launder money, or to grift the donors.

Fair enough, I might be the out of touch one here.
    Beyond that, remember that Rooster brought Lorelai a bag full of money, and Coulson was able to track them by the increase in crime in the area, and you have pretty good indication that Rooster and his cohorts were robbing people/businesses.

But that may have just been them under Lorelai's mind control powers. We don't see them commit a single crime prior to her showing up, so I think it's kinda presumptuous to assume they're all criminals just because of how they dress.

• DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Like, her powers work on any man. Human, alien, it doesn't seem to matter. I think we (and especially Coulson) would've noticed if he were no longer a man.

Ron Glass: "Agent Coulson, we saved your life, but Son of Coul, Jr. didn't make it. Little Phil won't fill anything. We're saying your dick is gone."

"Its name was AAAAAAAAGENT!"

Diplominator on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Did you all miss the part where Rooster's wife was dismissive of his nickname? Dude was just a scumbag playing at being "tough biker gang leader". They probably just ride around and drink; prior to Lorelei, I bet their worst crimes were loitering and littering. :P

edited March 2014

"Its name was AAAAAAAAGENT!"

I think a more likely name would be
    Cocktain America, the First Awanger.

KingofMadCows on
    Man, the airing schedule for this has been brutal though. I count 12 weeks in the past 15 episodes where no episode aired. (If you include these two upcoming weeks)

Luckily it seems that the last seven episodes will air weekly starting on April 1st. (According to a red carpet interview at the Cap2 premier)

• FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Rooster was a 1%-er. There was a patch on his vest. Though, to my knowledge/experience, 1%ers don't usually wear a patch proclaiming the fact, he was an outlaw biker.

This is actually a thing.

And the Ward mind-control-rape topic is actually worth not dismissing, unless we're gonna dismiss all iterations of that concept in all other contexts from here on out forever. I'd probably be ok with that too, at least when it comes to something as fluff as comicbook tv shows and movies, but whatever.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2014

Which local biker "gang?"

I know people in a couple in my area. They consist almost entirely of military and ex military or a bunch of middle aged guys who like motorcycles.

Neither you or Harry have shown anything indicating they've done anything criminal until Lorelei showed up. And definitely not anything at all that justified Harry's statement that Rooster deserved what happened.

Quid on
    "Outlaw biker" doesn't mean "criminal". It means they're a group that isn't registered with a national motorcycle association.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I wanted to envision a LotR style "No man can resist my charms", "I am no man" moment, but I doubt Sif would've had the patience for a non-Asgardian disguise, and Lorelai would've probably seen through such things.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    jdarksun wrote: »
    The secret council wanted to do it during the battle of NYC in the Avengers movie. Its why Iron Man had to go to space throught the wormhole to blow up Loki's Alien army.

Also, this biker conversation; this is a TV show whose focus is the story. Rooster and Co. are suppost to be throwaway NPCs like the millions of pixal people we kill in video games each day. We are suppost to asume he and his gang where up to no good before and go with it. If they were middle age men with American flags and POW/MIA jackets, we might think differently.

Grunt's Ghosts on
    The secret council wanted to do it during the battle of NYC in the Avengers movie. Its why Iron Man had to go to space throught the wormhole to blow up Loki's Alien army.
    ...yes, lol, but I was asking about the characters on the Bus. KoMC was stating that the Bus kids were unconcerned with collateral damage, which doesn't seem to be supported by anything.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Quid wrote: »
    Which local biker "gang?"

The "Dogs of Hell." It's on Rooster's jacket's back. Rooster has a 1% badge on his jacket.
    I know people in a couple in my area. They consist almost entirely of military and ex military or a bunch of middle aged guys who like motorcycles.

Outlaw bikers do recruit people like you're describing. Your bikers might not be outlaws, biker gangs still exist.
    Neither you or Harry have shown anything indicating they've done anything criminal until Lorelei showed up.

Would you say this had Rooster been a lieutenent in a local mafia? The show has so many minutes, not showing Rooster being a criminal doesn't mean he wasn't one prior to meeting Lorelei.

Harry Dresden on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yes, bike and leather enthusiasts are equivalent to mafiosos. I'll tell that to all my friends on their way to Sturgis next time.

steam_sig.png
    If they wanted us to think Rooster et al were bad guys, they would have been shown treating Lorelei like a piece of meat.

Did they attempt to assault, kill, mug, or rape her? Or did they ask what a knockout like her was doing with the normal dude that went into the bar?

Yes, bike and leather enthusiasts are equivalent to mafiosos. I'll tell that to all my friends on their way to Sturgis next time.

They do when they're in criminal organizations.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Some of you pick the strangest things to take issue with. :P

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    OH JESUS FUCKING HELL STOP TALKING ABOUT THE NICETIES OF GODDAMN BIKER CULTURE

THIS IS LITERALLY THE DUMBEST POSSIBLE ARGUMENT

IT HAS OBTAINED THE THEORETICAL MAXIMUM DUMBNESS POSSIBLE IN A THREAD ABOUT A SUPERHERO SPY SHOW

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Edit: Zip.

Quid on
    edited March 2014
    If they wanted us to think Rooster et al were bad guys, they would have been shown treating Lorelei like a piece of meat.

Did they attempt to assault, kill, mug, or rape her? Or did they ask what a knockout like her was doing with the normal dude that went into the bar?

This is Agents of SHIELD, not Sons of Anarchy, they're not going to show a group of bikers trying to sexually assault anyone. Rooster tries to hit on Lorelei, moments later she brainwashes him then she effortlessly smacks the husband into his car like a ragdoll. Outlaw bikers can behave themselves, they're not mindless beasts who try to assault, rape, rob or rape anyone they interact with when they appear in media.

Harry Dresden on

Also, this biker conversation; this is a TV show whose focus is the story. Rooster and Co. are suppost to be throwaway NPCs like the millions of pixal people we kill in video games each day. We are suppost to asume he and his gang where up to no good before and go with it. If they were middle age men with American flags and POW/MIA jackets, we might think differently.

I'm pretty sure we're supposed to feel bad at the fact the dude is forced to kill his wife. He doesn't go "Ha! Finally" or "Been waiting to do this for years!" something like that, he's apologetic. He doesn't want to do it, but he's mind controlled.

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

IT HAS OBTAINED THE THEORETICAL MAXIMUM DUMBNESS POSSIBLE IN A THREAD ABOUT A SUPERHERO SPY SHOW

I'm mostly just worried because this thread tends to get mods in here every other week or so to tell us to stop talking about something completely useless.

What is it with this thread that is weird that other threads don't have?

ElJeffe wrote: »

Unless that was a moderator commandment, can we please stop passing judgment on what other people choose to argue about? :(

It's a TV Show, it's already a million rungs below something like the Malaysian plane, or the Ukrainian/Russian clusterfuck, or America Political Party Fuckup #17382845091.

Delmain wrote: »
    Empty space.

Seriously! If AoS had a tighter schedule, we'd have less time to nitpick the unimportant shit. Go back and read the thread from when the show aired until now. We talk about 1) All the on topic stuff, 2) Complain about the lack of a new show for two weeks, 3) Start with the nitpicking.

edited March 2014
    Deleted.

Harry Dresden on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2014
    Well, I still think the biker tangent is pretty dumb. It seems clear that the bikers were meant to be seen as kinda tough-guy assholes, but I don't think the show was trying to assert that it's okay to murder them because of that. Like, the show's stance on the issue was not really ambiguous at all and it's not trying to make any kind of larger political statement on the acceptability of bikers.

That said, what I am stomping my foot on is the leeching into this thread of the larger discussion of what constitutes an "outlaw biker gang" and how they're portrayed on Sons of Anarchy and whether or not Poster X has some irrational hatred of bikers and whether "outlaw biker" = "yakuza".

So if you want to talk about how AoS is portraying them, that's fine, if a little silly, to the extent that it doesn't drown the thread to the detriment of other subtopics.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    Delmain wrote: »
    Empty space.

Seriously! If AoS had a tighter schedule, we'd have less time to nitpick the unimportant shit. Go back and read the thread from when the show aired until now. We talk about 1) All the on topic stuff, 2) Complain about the lack of a new show for two weeks, 3) Start with the nitpicking.

Looking at the schedule, there was a stretch of 13 weeks where we got FOUR episodes, only two of which were next to each other.

Good grief.

This discussion has been closed.