As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I should have had [chat] prepared!

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    shalmelo wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    This is the election cycle that will prove whether Silver is merely lucky, or if he truly did sell his soul at the crossroads in trade for the power to alter the future by predicting it.

I know you're joking, but 2012 was really just proof that even MATH can be spun into a partisan battleground by the cable news media.

spool you also missed where he predicted 2008 and 2010 very accurately as well

He could have been very lucky! Lucky three times is plausible.

4th time? Crossroads demons involved.

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    also will you did not comment on my school/career plans I am sad

i was going to but i guess got distracted by talking about suits

i think it's a great idea if you are unhappy with your current job and looking for a new career

i switched careers to software engineering a few years ago and am p happy with it

however, make sure you understand what the work looks like and whether you'll be happy doing it

you will spend a lot of time at a desk or in meetings. you won't travel as much as you do now and you won't work with people quite as much.

your job will be crafting. you're making things or pieces of things, and you are often given enough creative license to make them well and your way, but they fundamentally need to be functional.

it's not a job for people who want to achieve and it's not a job for people who want to express themselves in their work, really. i mean, you will express yourself in your work the way a shoemaker would express himself in his work - all the individuality is in the craftsmanship and not so much in the outward design or function. it's very zen in a lot of ways.

if that appeals to you then i think it's a great career.

stay out of debt if you can. you can prob get your current job to pay for some classes.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    I'm not from the US, but even I know Tyson.
    ...we're not talking about the boxer, right?

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    I'm watching episode one of Cosmos. I think this series could have benefited from Neil deGrasse Tyson as not the narrator.

I am sad to learn that the whole section about Bruno is very, very inaccurate.

Really?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/business_insider/2014/03/12/neil_degrasse_tyson_s_cosmos_there_was_one_big_problem_with_sunday_s_episode.html

Awww. That part was interesting.

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    we should teach our kids to dress to social standards for the same reason we teach them table manners and polite forms of address and the ability to make conversation.

and while i'm at it, to apply for a job or negotiate a raise or apply for a loan or groom themselves.

not being able to do these things will limit their ability to function fully in the world. it will shut doors.

the idea that americans just can't really figure out how to express their inner individual because they've been so brainwashed with standards of propriety is just a ridiculous 1970s throwback. the radical individualists got their say and we ended up with LA.

no thank you.

I enjoy dressing up in suits on occasion, but the idea that every American male should be shelling out thousands of dollars in order to fit granddad's Wall Street aesthetic just to go about their workaday lives is the worst kind of elitist snobbery.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I'm watching episode one of Cosmos. I think this series could have benefited from Neil deGrasse Tyson as not the narrator.

The question is who else do you put there?

Like right now who else has the name recognition and not be a boring speaking that could of worked?

I quite like Tyson but I think Michio Kaku would've also been a good call.

g4VuGbrl.png

I just don't think there's a ton of overlap between good presenters and scientists. I mean, I'd be all about having Liev Schreiber do it but he's lacking in the science credentials.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    Why can't I poooooop?

I was constipated for a couple days after I got my hernia surgery, because painkillers do that.

Metamucil and coffee, my friend.

Maybe just some fibre will do it. I'm not sure where this came from.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    This is the election cycle that will prove whether Silver is merely lucky, or if he truly did sell his soul at the crossroads in trade for the power to alter the future by predicting it.

I know you're joking, but 2012 was really just proof that even MATH can be spun into a partisan battleground by the cable news media.

Or Futures.

This is a field of study.

My grad school has an entire department dedicated to prediction of mass movements and such via statistics and polling.

It is basically psychohistory from the Foundation.

And it works pretty well!

Math!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Mazzyx wrote: »

The question is who else do you put there?

Like right now who else has the name recognition and not be a boring speaking that could of worked?

Matthew McConaughey (shhh!) or Sigourney Weaver; but I also don't need an actual scientist to be speaking at me during those things. I definitely don't require it from my nature documentaries (hello, Werner Herzog). But that's not the point: specifically I think his voice is doing way too much at the Moments of Great Importance. It has a PBS children's science show quality. And now kids, I'm gonna make sure you know to pay attention to this part.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    we should teach our kids to dress to social standards for the same reason we teach them table manners and polite forms of address and the ability to make conversation.

and while i'm at it, to apply for a job or negotiate a raise or apply for a loan or groom themselves.

not being able to do these things will limit their ability to function fully in the world. it will shut doors.

If it's genuinely true that a $4,000 suit is a prerequisite to opening doors, then that's a deeply perverse fact about our society

be the change you want to see in the ross dress for less

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular

three times lucky is statistical significance

the fourth time is accurate scientific prediction

the math checks out

the idea that americans just can't really figure out how to express their inner individual because they've been so brainwashed with standards of propriety is just a ridiculous 1970s throwback. the radical individualists got their say and we ended up with LA.

no thank you.

I enjoy dressing up in suits on occasion, but the idea that every American male should be shelling out thousands of dollars in order to fit granddad's Wall Street aesthetic just to go about their workaday lives is the worst kind of elitist snobbery.

False, it is the best kind and I am entirely in agreement!

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

Really?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/business_insider/2014/03/12/neil_degrasse_tyson_s_cosmos_there_was_one_big_problem_with_sunday_s_episode.html

2. I think was covered in the show

I remember them saying that he wasn't doing science (he had no evidence for his belief)

• HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    McConaughey's character from True Detective should narrate Cosmos.

If it's genuinely true that a $4,000 suit is a prerequisite to opening doors, then that's a deeply perverse fact about our society

A $400 suit will do you just fine.

Or a $40 suit from a secondhand place and a $50 tailor.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    skippy wrote:
    deebs wrote:

"creativity" and "individualism" are really overrated.

I think the first isn't true at all

I think the market and businesses all value creativity and innovation

while businesses (and schools, in many ways) are set up to repress them

Businesses do not need a lot of creative people. They need a few creative people and a lot of people that swing the axes and do the work.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Really?

I remember them saying that he wasn't doing science (he had no evidence for his belief)

I am pretty sure they state Bruno's belief was theological not scientific. But as what they were going with the story I think it worked fine. It wasn't 100% suppose to be history but more allegory about exploring and not being stuck in a way of thought and willingness to look beyond standard dogma even if it was dangerous to ones health.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Suits ARE really boring though

You can't even wear a baseball hat with them

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »

Sure you can, you just need a classier hat

B60211_Full.gif

twitch.tv/tehsloth
    you won't travel as much as you do now

fuck

yes
    your job will be crafting. you're making things or pieces of things, and you are often given enough creative license to make them well and your way, but they fundamentally need to be functional.

this is highly appealing

I have often toyed with the idea of being a carpenter or something

I really like the thought of taking an idea in your head and making it a real (digital) thing

with a lot less room for politics -- does my program run and do the thing? yes? then it is working! I am great!

instead of, does my set of talking points achieve this purpose? oh you think you could do a better job because you wrote a speech once in high school oh I see

also the problem solving aspect is appealing, as is the idea that you will continually learn new things
    stay out of debt if you can. you can prob get your current job to pay for some classes.

I can pay for it, it is just a lot of dollars I was hoping to like put on a house or something

yes my job does have a kinda shitty tuition thing but idk if they'll let me apply it to something not related to my current position

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

Really?

Slate is blowing this a bit out of proportion for clickbait. This pretty much sums it up.
    Did you even watch the show, or did you use random Facebook posts as your research?

1. The show clearly states that Bruno didn't originate the idea of an infinite universe. He got the idea from a Roman philosopher older than Nicholas of Cusa.
    2. Tyson says, "Bruno wasn't a scientist."
    3. The show says this. If you listen, the inquisitor at the sentencing lists pretty much all of these.
    4. See three
    5. The show says he didn't have a steady job, not that he was poor. Either way, this is a minor quibble.
    6. The Bruno of the show was pretty argumentative

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Any of you back Star Citizen?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    for shame, spool, believing an article from a liberal rag like Slate!

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

no thank you.

right, but the whole reason that we now consider the simple act of wearing a tie to be "granddad's wall street aesthetic" is because we've created a (recent!) artificial social divide between those willing to dress up and those who won't.

here are some factory workers making kettles in 1920:

401332_large.jpg

why are they wearing ties? they are just blue-collar workers!

my mom grew up in the swamps of florida, poor as dirt back in the 40s and 50s.

her brothers didn't wear ties around the swamps, but they sure did wear ties and jackets to church and knew how to wear them properly

because even poor, pig-ignorant fruit pickers knew that dressing to an occasion was respectful. because being unable to engage with society to social expectations was going to be limiting to them.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    fivethirtyeight's mascot is derived from a greek poet's phrase:
    “The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing.”

hmm

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

I HAVE NO SON

919UOwT.png
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

A $400 suit will do you just fine.

Or a $40 suit from a secondhand place and a $50 tailor.

I would think someone with a user name that is essentially Double Mister would know that a suit doesn't have to cost $4000
    *HARUMPH*

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    I have spent the day mostly digging

Planted beetroot and parsnips, and some more carrots

My kale apparently doesn't want to be sown outside this early, but I'm planning on getting a mini greenhouse thing tomorrow

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Given the complete failure of STEM to appeal to women everywhere, it would've been kinda good if we could've found a female role model to do Cosmos.

Keeley Hawes, say.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.

i mean i am not going to champion that, of course.

yes, some people take any opportunity to show off money or try to use it as a prerequisite.

but that's not about suits. that's about money. people also do the same thing with luxury autos or rolex watches or super-expensive streetwear

Wqdwp8l.png
    Any of you back Star Citizen?

Maybe? Hasn't it been like a year and a half or something, I don't even remember -- I get the e-mails all the time though.

twitch.tv/tehsloth
    kaleedity wrote: »

hmm

ONE BIG THING this hedgehog knows that the fox DOESN'T

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    Deebaser wrote: »
    skippy wrote:
    deebs wrote:

"creativity" and "individualism" are really overrated.

I think the first isn't true at all

I think the market and businesses all value creativity and innovation

while businesses (and schools, in many ways) are set up to repress them

Businesses do not need a lot of creative people. They need a few creative people and a lot of people that swing the axes and do the work.

disagree

business A has a hr dept that follows existing policies/procedures like robots except for one person at the top who thinks about how things should change/be improved

business B has a hr dept full of people doing the actual work and considering how that work could be improved -- where could we cut tape, where could we change processes to better align with our goals, what could we try next to attract/retain/develop talent or whatever

business B has a competitive advantage

yes about those caps

Wqdwp8l.png
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    because even poor, pig-ignorant fruit pickers knew that dressing to an occasion was respectful. because being unable to engage with society to social expectations was going to be limiting to them.
    Are we being ironic here?

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    Chanus wrote: »
    kaleedity wrote: »

hmm

ONE BIG THING this hedgehog knows that the fox DOESN'T

pQ0SW9EP7Y4CC.png

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular

His name is Hari Seldon and he has a plan for a foundation...

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
This discussion has been closed.