As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I should have had [chat] prepared!

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    TehSloth wrote: »
    I'm pretty disappointed that one of the only concerts I was hoping to go to was sold out pretty much instantly, they picked up a second night and it also sold out instantly.

And the tickets are will call only with ID matching the buyer so I can't just snag something on stub hub, I'd have to wait in line with some douchebag craigslist scalper.

Show up.
    punch him in the dick.
    leave

Tempting, kind of a long drive, think I'm just gonna drink and listen to Lonesome Crowded West instead.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I have to relearn how to dress for varying occasions, this is all bullshit tear it down.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Also, you can give a shit about what you wear while dressing nontraditionally.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Dressing like you give a shit matters. It makes you feel good, it makes you feel together.

context-dependent

Hmm...
    Dressing like [...] shit matters. It makes you feel good, it makes you feel together.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Maybe it's because I'm 31 and hanging onto the last vestiges of my youth, but even with all the progress I've made in the dressing nicely department, watching will and spool's walls of texts and treatises on dressing properly really makes me want to bust out some ripped jeans and a volcom tshirt and just listen to brain stew on repeat.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    shalmelo wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    MrMister wrote: »
    ooh ooh i know this one

business C is composed of individuals who refuse to be stifled and feel like things should be done their way -- these design guidelines are terrible i'm just going to make my part the way that it should be done. this policy doesn't make sense to me; i'm just going to ignore it. my boss wants me to work on project A but honestly i am way better suited and more interested on project B so that is what i am going to do.

I have to say, Will, a lot of what you're saying seems motivated by a hardcore hate boner for fucking disreputable hippies. It's like you're fighting a culture war out of time. Which is fine, I guess, I mean I'm still siding with the Communists, if we want to compare who's tilting at older windmills. But I grew up in what is by all lights about as hippy an environment as they come (the lovely Ojai, California, known for its moon cults). And despite its various excesses--let's not get into the state of the science education provided by people who sincerely believe in healing crystals--I think that in terms of its values it was great.

I mean, here's an opposing anecdote. Recently I was playing 7 wonders with a bunch of people. Normally when we play we just add up our scores by ourselves at the end. But the dude who brought the game, this time, absolutely insisted that instead of doing that we all use the little score sheet that came with the game. It took about four times as long, and involved us all awkwardly sitting around reading out sub-portions of our score (7 points from red...) while he scribbled them down. It was So. Dumb. But he had to do it! Because--there was a sheet! That's what it was for. What--were we just going to not use the sheet?

He had a similar fit when some people wanted to trade in their wonders for new ones they hadn't tried before. He was like: oh, well they're supposed to be random. It's only the rules.

Yeah, well sometimes the rules are dumb, and we can think about what works for or against people instead.

i mean i am not championing all rules for their own sake

but i do think the modern american ethic of radical individualism is harmful. i'm not a communist but i do believe in communitarianism - we all exist in society and need to understand and be mindful of who we are from the perspectives of other people and our various society as a whole.

we need to be a good son and a good brother and a good neighbor and a good colleague and a good citizen.

and part of that means that we follow social rules that we didn't independently invent sometimes. we don't pick our noses at the table and we don't spit on the street and we take off our hats indoors and we say please and thank you and we shower at least once a week and we don't wear our larp gear to a funeral.

and maybe it feels like i'm some kind of 1960s square revanchist, but i don't think that the continuing lessons of the hippie movement has really done our culture any favors

I agree with almost all of this, but being expected to wear a suit every goddamn day of your life is still a dumb relic of an age dedicated to protecting society from everything different (different in this case generally meaning non-white and non-male), and I'm glad that the custom is dying out in most areas of American society. Every man should own a suit or two and know how to wear them - I'm totally down with that. But the days of it being mandatory workwear for most of the culture cannot go away fast enough.

There is nothing whatsoever about wearing a suit that smacks of racism, at any point of US history that I'm aware of.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Sometimes there is nothing better than laying around in your underwear.

why even bother with underwear?
    savage

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    CAN YOU BITCHES NOT READ??? MOTHERFUCKING LAVA!!

NO ONE CARES WHAT SUIT YOU'RE WEARING WHEN YOUR FEET HAVE BURNED OFF TO THE ANKLES BECAUSE YOU WERE TOO BUSY JIBBY JABBERING ON THE INTERNET TO FORMULATE A PROPER EVACUATION PLAN

you jump from the couch to the coffee table, obvs, then use the couch cushions as stepping stones until you get to a lava-free zone

management material right here

Couches and coffee tables are pretty flammable so if the floor is lava and they are set on the floor...

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Maybe it's because I'm 31 and hanging onto the last vestiges of my youth, but even with all the progress I've made in the dressing nicely department, watching will and spool's walls of texts and treatises on dressing properly really makes me want to bust out some ripped jeans and a volcom tshirt and just listen to brain stew on repeat.

way ahead of you.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Toffs-And-Toughs-001.jpg

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    No one is bidding on my 30 second self portrait on eBay.

I think my scheme to get rich (and quick) needs some thinking through

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    ooh ooh i know this one

business C is composed of individuals who refuse to be stifled and feel like things should be done their way -- these design guidelines are terrible i'm just going to make my part the way that it should be done. this policy doesn't make sense to me; i'm just going to ignore it. my boss wants me to work on project A but honestly i am way better suited and more interested on project B so that is what i am going to do.

I have to say, Will, a lot of what you're saying seems motivated by a hardcore hate boner for fucking disreputable hippies. It's like you're fighting a culture war out of time. Which is fine, I guess, I mean I'm still siding with the Communists, if we want to compare who's tilting at older windmills. But I grew up in what is by all lights about as hippy an environment as they come (the lovely Ojai, California, known for its moon cults). And despite its various excesses--let's not get into the state of the science education provided by people who sincerely believe in healing crystals--I think that in terms of its values it was great.

I mean, here's an opposing anecdote. Recently I was playing 7 wonders with a bunch of people. Normally when we play we just add up our scores by ourselves at the end. But the dude who brought the game, this time, absolutely insisted that instead of doing that we all use the little score sheet that came with the game. It took about four times as long, and involved us all awkwardly sitting around reading out sub-portions of our score (7 points from red...) while he scribbled them down. It was So. Dumb. But he had to do it! Because--there was a sheet! That's what it was for. What--were we just going to not use the sheet?

He had a similar fit when some people wanted to trade in their wonders for new ones they hadn't tried before. He was like: oh, well they're supposed to be random. It's only the rules.

Yeah, well sometimes the rules are dumb, and we can think about what works for or against people instead.

but i do think the modern american ethic of radical individualism is harmful. i'm not a communist but i do believe in communitarianism - we all exist in society and need to understand and be mindful of who we are from the perspectives of other people and our various society as a whole.

we need to be a good son and a good brother and a good neighbor and a good colleague and a good citizen.

and part of that means that we follow social rules that we didn't independently invent sometimes. we don't pick our noses at the table and we don't spit on the street and we take off our hats indoors and we say please and thank you and we shower at least once a week and we don't wear our larp gear to a funeral.

and maybe it feels like i'm some kind of 1960s square revanchist, but i don't think that the continuing lessons of the hippie movement has really done our culture any favors

I agree with almost all of this, but being expected to wear a suit every goddamn day of your life is still a dumb relic of an age dedicated to protecting society from everything different (different in this case generally meaning non-white and non-male), and I'm glad that the custom is dying out in most areas of American society. Every man should own a suit or two and know how to wear them - I'm totally down with that. But the days of it being mandatory workwear for most of the culture cannot go away fast enough.

There is nothing whatsoever about wearing a suit that smacks of racism, at any point of US history that I'm aware of.

zoot suit riot
    RIIIOOOOOOOTTTTT

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Tiny flags for some
    abortions for others

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Will, it is exhausting to read you go on about "kids these days" circa 1969 as though the entire counterculture movement of the time including the anti-war, environmentalism, and civil rights groups can be successfully reduced to 'lol hippies'.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

ftfy

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    ooh ooh i know this one

Yeah not racism, inherently. Classism, sure.

I occasionally get the urge to start dressing nice but that shit's expensive.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    No one is bidding on my 30 second self portrait on eBay.

I think my scheme to get rich (and quick) needs some thinking through

I'll give you a dollar if the bird's still alive.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »

NO ONE CARES WHAT SUIT YOU'RE WEARING WHEN YOUR FEET HAVE BURNED OFF TO THE ANKLES BECAUSE YOU WERE TOO BUSY JIBBY JABBERING ON THE INTERNET TO FORMULATE A PROPER EVACUATION PLAN

you jump from the couch to the coffee table, obvs, then use the couch cushions as stepping stones until you get to a lava-free zone

Couches and coffee tables are pretty flammable so if the floor is lava and they are set on the floor...

you know nothing of floor is lava physics. Everything already lying on the floor at the time of the lava transition is housed in a temporal thermal shield. You could be safe standing on a roll of paper towels. DUH.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    if I become a software developer can I show my tattoos

can I get my lip pierced

can I wear jeans and a t shirt

depends very much on where you work, a couple guys I work with have a bunch of tattoos (neck even!) although one of them is like a team lead now so he dresses up a bit but used to just wear like shorts and t-shirts. The last company I worked at was much bigger and I can only remember one person with a tattoo which was just a super boring Euler's Identity on his arm.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    ooh ooh i know this one

zoot suit riot
    RIIIOOOOOOOTTTTT

throw back a bottle of beeeerrrrr

• Options
    Oh God. I am putting Cherry Poppin' Daddies in my karaoke rotation.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Shit, forgot about the new rule. Disregard this old post please.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    the focus of the hippies was never really on social responsibility. it was on social freedom. i do what i want and no one can tell me different!

all of the new deal and great society programs were passed and implemented by previous generations concerned about social responsibility.

This is extremely uncharitable. Hippies were in the fields with Chavez and the United Farm Workers, for instance. And one of the biggest traumatic fractures in the history of the left came when the Hippies rebelled against their party leadership and came out against Vietnam. There was plenty of thought to social responsibility going on in the mix.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Depending on the context of your day-to-day responsibilities and the industry you work in, I think it's just generally better to wear a suit if you're in a face-to-face professional service industry.

Even if I'm just an unpaid intern providing legal advice to pro bono clients, let's say, I think it's actually a matter of professional responsibility to project the aura of knowing what I'm doing and of caring about the quality of my work, and formal clothing signals both of those.

Obviously it's much more important to actually know what you're doing, but I also think there's significant benefit for everyone in giving clients every possible reason to trust your work and your opinions; net results will be better then.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options

I lay around in a shirt and tie, with the collar loosened a little bit.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    is steam not working for anyone else?

It be down.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

you know nothing of floor is lava physics. Everything already lying on the floor at the time of the lava transition is housed in a temporal thermal shield. You could be safe standing on a roll of paper towels. DUH.

Either way, the heat of the lava will kill you even if you're standing on a thing.

No, the thermal shield is a permeable barrier that allows objects through but dissipates heat instantly. This field extends in a radius that interconnects each temporally locked object on the lava floor. It's all very Timey Whimey.

• Options

Do you also shake hands with your children when you drop them off at school?

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Okay, workplace semantics question.

Somebody mentions creating a "phone tree." What do you think that means?

Because we have a few people here who think it means one thing and a few people here who think it means something quite different.

Like get some phones. Get some glue. Make a tree.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    People who have issues wearing a suit shoudl practice it until they're comfortable, because you look confident as a motherfucker and feel great when you're dressed to the nines.

This sentence amuses me

It doesn't matter if you don't like wearing suits! Keep wearing suits until it makes you feel great!

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ooh ooh i know this one

In fact, they were ubiquitous during civil rights marches.

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular

Either way, the heat of the lava will kill you even if you're standing on a thing.

No, the thermal shield is a permeable barrier that allows objects through but dissipates heat instantly. This field extends in a radius that interconnects each temporally locked object on the lava floor. It's all very Timey Whimey.

also floor type lava does not put out toxic fumes

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    American has strangers calling you "friend" instead of strict terms of formality and I'm not sure it is better

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Showered and clean!

I smell nice now! :P

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    if I become a software developer can I show my tattoos

can I get my lip pierced

can I wear jeans and a t shirt

depends very much on where you work, a couple guys I work with have a bunch of tattoos (neck even!) although one of them is like a team lead now so he dresses up a bit but used to just wear like shorts and t-shirts. The last company I worked at was much bigger and I can only remember one person with a tattoo which was just a super boring Euler's Identity on his arm.

>:[

• Options
    the focus of the hippies was never really on social responsibility. it was on social freedom. i do what i want and no one can tell me different!

all of the new deal and great society programs were passed and implemented by previous generations concerned about social responsibility.

This is extremely uncharitable. Hippies were in the fields with Chavez and the United Farm Workers, for instance. And one of the biggest traumatic fractures in the history of the left came when the Hippies rebelled against their party leadership and came out against Vietnam. There was plenty of thought to social responsibility going on in the mix.
    (because they didn't want to go)

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Toffs-And-Toughs-001.jpg

heh, I was just thinking of that picture

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    ooh ooh i know this one

Similarly, I'm not championing Mere Anarchy Loosed. I also think it's important to be conscientious.

However, I also think that our social practices can often express bad values, and that it's important to critique them. There used to be elaborate rules of address, that people took just as seriously or more as not picking their nose or whatever, and which governed the ways in which it was permissible for someone with lower social standing to speak to someone of higher social standing. They still persist to some degree in our policies around honorifics, but in general the relatively more egalitarian elan of our age has dismantled them. And, I think, rightly so. And I think that norms we often fold into 'respect' and 'politeness' fall into the potentially problematic category of needing egalitarian critique.

That is, though, again, not to say that I think there are no genuine norms of respect or politeness. I often get into arguments with the radical left on this topic, and come down squarely on the side of valuing certain forms of civil respect. It's just to say that we have to be alive to the ideological underpinning of our social relations. When we choose to address and treat people in certain ways, to spend our money thus and so, to call or not call back, and so on, it means something. And we should be aware of what it means, and ready to change it if we don't like what we see.

I also think that in terms of the hippies specifically, two things are true. The first is that we largely caricature and stereotype their celebration of individualism, but that's largely because they won on that issue--and as a result we live more in the open air. We lack appreciation for exactly how stifling the conformist culture of our grandparents could be. The second is that even if the hippies largely won on individualism, they largely lost on the issue of conspicuous consumption. I think we need that critique as much as we ever did, and that's why I'm particularly skeptical of certain fashion norms. Fashion strikes me as a complicated subject, and there is certainly a sort of aesthetic joy in it that seems inextricable from the human condition. But at the same time it is unquestionably an area where we advertise and reinforce unpleasant hierarchies. So again, I think it's somewhere where we need to live the life examined. We should think about what we're really doing and what it really means.

for what it's worth i make an effort to address people who are clearly at a social disadvantage with polite honorifics. mister this and miss that. especially if i don't know them well or if they are older than i am. i remember my grandmother chatting with a fellow churchgoer one time - an older black woman wearing her shabby sunday best and referring to her as "mizz josephine". i found that dignified - it ennobled both participants.

i personally view courtesy and politeness to be democratic and subversive to a hierarchical status system. it's a system in which all people are treated with respect regardless of their economic or social class. i find it empowering that a CEO is viewed as a heel and a cad if he's rude to a caddy or waiter. i like that it's seen as rude when some rich boomer comes rolling into a nice restaurant in his polo because he's too successful and special to follow the rules and he is then made to feel out of place.

but without arbitrary standards of courtesy, none of this could happen.

i grew up out west - outside santa fe, NM, and the self-congratulatory culture of the white post-hippies there was just odious to me. the big thing is throwing around money in a particular way and showing off your lifestyle.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Zampanov wrote: »

also floor type lava does not put out toxic fumes

Usually, unless toxic fumes was declared at the start of the round, in that case you create a temporal field around your face by making darth vader noises

• Options

sometimes!

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

excel in your studies today, child32, that the lord may not turn his face from thee

*whip cracks, buggy takes off*

This discussion has been closed.