As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I should have had [chat] prepared!

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    if I become a software developer can I show my tattoos

can I get my lip pierced

can I wear jeans and a t shirt

Ugh do not get your lip peirced

I can't until/unless I work some place more chill : (

They are ugly

b-but cassandra :0

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    kilts are not ugly

a kilt as made for and by nerds are ugly, but what item of clothing wouldn't be

Like fedoras?

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    DemonStacey you are not really a bastion of good decisions...

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Hey guys what do you think about skirts go

i love them

so classy

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    death to the utilikilt.

but anyway back on subjects skirts are awesome

I like loose skirts more than slim fitting ones

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

:^:

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    shalmelo wrote: »

Skirts are fine

Kilts are not

Caveat: a formal kilt is swank as hell.

A utilikilt is something that a dude wears when he's desperate to prove that he has nothing to prove.

Kilts have been ruined, like fedoras

the damage has been done

I'm so sorry legit kilt wearers of the world

but this is how it is

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

I tell you what these flapper girls take no pride in how they look and don't seem to realize the way a nice dress with corset - while uncomfortable - really makes you take pride in your appearance and shows that you take pride in how you look. This modern generation's focus on social freedom over communal responsibility is all because of the previous generation's cowardly anti-Philippine War stance, which is uniquely terrible in human history. Clearly things aren't like they were in the good old days. New clothes are cheap, they don't fit properly, they're over-sexualized, and they're just plain ugly.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Long, tight skirts make me think the girls would fall over if bumped. I assume they must stretch more than it looks like they would but it still makes me worry for them.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    In an apparent response to President Obama's sanctions against Russian officials, the Kremlin is preparing its own penalties for U.S. politicians, including Senator Dick Durbin.

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    I'm almost afraid to ask, but... is there some kind of reason behind utilikilts?

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    @skippydumptruck If you really think you like CS and you will for real stick with this online degree program, then I say go for it. The biggest risk with online degrees is not that no one will take your credentials seriously at the end, it's that the dropout rates are crazy high. So stick with it and you are mostly set!

If you get a degree from a real university, through their online system, you're not really obligated to put "online" on your resume next to the name of the University are you?
    Does this program result in a degree? Is the online degree equivalent to what a normal CS major on campus would receive? Is it going to say "earned online" or anything different on the diploma?

The diploma will say B.S. in Computer Science.

yes dude.

We all know that nobody will give a shit about your credentials or where you got your degree beyond a cursory glance.

As long as it's not the 4Chan University College Interbutt Degree in Computer Sciencing, issued this day in teh Year of Our Lord 2016 by Chancellor Weedlord Bonerhitler, you're fine.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Our department has around 160 spreadsheets uploaded to various directories on sharepoint - more are added sporadically as new projects come through each month. Each spreadsheet is updated by users at various times in the month.

There are column names going from A to AA. The column types are varied; dates, dollar amounts, a comments field, y/n field, etc. Several of the columns contain formulas. Each spreadsheet is populated with a varying number of rows. Some have only 1 row, a few have as many as 5k, but the average is probably under 200 rows.

I need to be able to pull the rows with data in them from all 160(ish) spreadsheets in to one source so that reports can be created based on the most up to date data. I’m limited to using excel and access. The varying number of rows makes excel problematic, at least with what I know about excel. I don’t have much experience doing linked tables in access so I’m not sure if that could even work with the large number of sources.

What would be the best way to combine the data in to one source?

Unfortunately there is no quick and easy answer to this that I am personally aware of.

The cheap and dirty way is to set up all of those Excel spreadsheets as data sources in another spreadsheet or an Access database. Yes, the different column formats and arrangements will be an obstacle that you will have to work around. You'd have to look at each source spreadsheet individually, figure out which data you want, what column it's in, and what the format is. Take lots and lots of notes. Then pull in that spreadsheet as a datasource into Excel or Access, and use an Excel formula or an Access query to massage it into the format you need.

The right way to do is is to start with the humans generating the data. Is it possible to standardize the source spreadsheets? That would be awesome if everybody (or almost everybody) could be using the same (or almost the same) worksheet formats.

Then you could continue with the Excel/Access route. Or you could have an actual Sharepoint developer build something for you that aggregates the data directly in Sharepoint. (or you could have a developer build something outside of Sharepoint, too.) Obviously that costs money, but it may be cheaper in the long term than spending time every month herding cats.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    TehSloth wrote: »
    It changes a lot but right now Scala is probably the up and comer, it's sort of like java but trying too hard to be cute. Java is big, ruby is really big, objective C is big if you're interested in mobile development.

I don't think I am far enough along to have any idea what I'm interested in

right now I am finishing the last couple of lectures of the CS101 stanford course and working through becoming familiar with python as a beginner

• Options

what

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »
    I'm almost afraid to ask, but... is there some kind of reason behind utilikilts?

probably not a good one

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

Skirts are fine

Kilts are not

A utilikilt is something that a dude wears when he's desperate to prove that he has nothing to prove.

the damage has been done

but this is how it is

The last event in which it will be acceptable to wear a kilt is the upcoming formal funeral for all kilts, scheduled for March 28th. Please RSVP by the end of the week and bring alternate clothing to wear on your way out.

• Options
    Frank Sinatra must be turning at RPMs faster than a Formula 1 car at all these nerds wearing fedoras.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    @gooey

somebody on my facebook wrote this

"Bye bye investment banking…hello private equity"

l0l

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    @skippydumptruck If you really think you like CS and you will for real stick with this online degree program, then I say go for it. The biggest risk with online degrees is not that no one will take your credentials seriously at the end, it's that the dropout rates are crazy high. So stick with it and you are mostly set!

If you get a degree from a real university, through their online system, you're not really obligated to put "online" on your resume next to the name of the University are you?
    Does this program result in a degree? Is the online degree equivalent to what a normal CS major on campus would receive? Is it going to say "earned online" or anything different on the diploma?

The diploma will say B.S. in Computer Science.

yes dude.

We all know that nobody will give a shit about your credentials or where you got your degree beyond a cursory glance.

As long as it's not the 4Chan University College Interbutt Degree in Computer Sciencing, issued this day in teh Year of Our Lord 2016 by Chancellor Weedlord Bonerhitler, you're fine.

I

what

you asked if you were obligated to put online on your resume

and i posted the answer

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

Skirts are fine

Kilts are not

the damage has been done

but this is how it is

this is just you being environmentally damaged from hanging around too many nerds.

The healthy mind does not assosciate the vast utilikilt clad nerd at the game shop with a scotsman at a wedding.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

This is my thing now isn't.

I have dug my own grave.

• Options
    Frank Sinatra must be turning at RPMs faster than a Formula 1 car at all these nerds wearing fedoras.

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    what of utilifedoras

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    @ronya‌

So what were you getting at with that Foundation quote pages ago?

I couldn't figure out how to differ between two completely different tacks you might have been taking with it.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

Skirts are fine

Kilts are not

the damage has been done

but this is how it is

Wrong wrong wrong so wrong I am overwhelmed by how wrong you are

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    also skirts like all girl clothing owns when done well and stuff

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited March 2014

Two finger widths above the knee

Frosteey on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    syndalis deebaser Feral‌
    Guys my wife is having a problem with a thing at work and I do not know Excel or database stuff because I am dumb. Can you answer this possibly?
    Our department has around 160 spreadsheets uploaded to various directories on sharepoint - more are added sporadically as new projects come through each month. Each spreadsheet is updated by users at various times in the month.

There are column names going from A to AA. The column types are varied; dates, dollar amounts, a comments field, y/n field, etc. Several of the columns contain formulas. Each spreadsheet is populated with a varying number of rows. Some have only 1 row, a few have as many as 5k, but the average is probably under 200 rows.

I need to be able to pull the rows with data in them from all 160(ish) spreadsheets in to one source so that reports can be created based on the most up to date data. I’m limited to using excel and access. The varying number of rows makes excel problematic, at least with what I know about excel. I don’t have much experience doing linked tables in access so I’m not sure if that could even work with the large number of sources.

What would be the best way to combine the data in to one source?

Burn it all down and start over would probably be best.
    however, you can build an mdb and link each and every one of those fucking tables OMG I HATE YOUR WIFES COWORKERS SO MUCH.

Skippy, this is Company B material!

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »
    It's an animal signal which informs it's fellows that it is asexual and will never bear children.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    does.... does anyone in here actually wear a kilt?

• Options
    TehSloth wrote: »
    It changes a lot but right now Scala is probably the up and comer, it's sort of like java but trying too hard to be cute. Java is big, ruby is really big, objective C is big if you're interested in mobile development.

I don't think I am far enough along to have any idea what I'm interested in

right now I am finishing the last couple of lectures of the CS101 stanford course and working through becoming familiar with python as a beginner

Python is kinda falling in popularity but learning on it is not really a big deal. The skills you need to be learning will transfer to all the other procedural languages pretty easily.

C / C++ are a pain in the ass and C++ has syntax that is super ugly. They are practical to a fault (as in they can distract you from learning basic concepts with their obsession over machine minutiae). They are, however, basically immortal. Those languages will never ever die and there will always be demand for programmers that know them for our lifetimes.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

I tell you what these flapper girls take no pride in how they look and don't seem to realize the way a nice dress with corset - while uncomfortable - really makes you take pride in your appearance and shows that you take pride in how you look. This modern generation's focus on social freedom over communal responsibility is all because of the previous generation's cowardly anti-Philippine War stance, which is uniquely terrible in human history. Clearly things aren't like they were in the good old days. New clothes are cheap, they don't fit properly, they're over-sexualized, and they're just plain ugly.

I'm just glad someone's willing to say what we're all thinking.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    In an apparent response to President Obama's sanctions against Russian officials, the Kremlin is preparing its own penalties for U.S. politicians, including Senator Dick Durbin.

Are they forcing him to change his name to Richard?

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    @‌desc makin dat noir techno

club music for replicants who are struggling with sublimation to dasein

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I've seen photos of a kilted Japan.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Frosteey wrote: »

Two finger widths above the knee

If you are wearing long socks/hosiery otherwise two finger lengths below the knee

Frosteey on
  • Options

Are they forcing him to change his name to Richard?

god I hope so

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    my highschool imprisoned put girls with short skirts in detention.

the length requirement was standing straight with arms straight down at sides; if skirt was shorter than fingertips then yer out

this didn't work out too well and was mostly selectively enforced

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I've seen photos of a kilted Japan.

I was thinking I'd probably take it to pax were we ever to go

This discussion has been closed.