As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I should have had [chat] prepared!

• ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    ronya wrote: »
    Zephiran wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.com/news/business-26609548
    There is a cynicism in the relationship between Russia and the US, being played out in the Crimean crisis, which is deep, rooted in history and shows that the triumph of capitalism over communism wasn't the end of the power game between these two nations.

The depth of mistrust between the two was highlighted in the interview given by Hank Paulson, the former US treasury secretary, for my recent BBC Two documentary, How China Fooled The World.

Here is Mr Paulson on the unfolding drama:

"When Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac started to become unglued, and you know there were $5.4tn of securities relating to Fannie and Freddie, $1.7tn outside of the US. The Chinese were the biggest external investor holding Fannie and Freddie securities, so the Chinese were very, very concerned."

Or to put it another way, the Chinese government owned $1.7tn of mortgage-backed bonds issued by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and it was deeply concerned it would incur huge losses on these bonds.

Mr Paulson: "I was talking to them [Chinese ministers and officials] regularly because I didn't want them to dump the securities on the market and precipitate a bigger crisis.

Now this is where we enter the territory of a geopolitical thriller. Mr Paulson:

"Here I'm not going to name the senior person, but I was meeting with someone… This person told me that the Chinese had received a message from the Russians which was, 'Hey let's join together and sell Fannie and Freddie securities on the market.' The Chinese weren't going to do that but again, it just, it just drove home to me how vulnerable I felt until we had put Fannie and Freddie into conservatorship [the rescue plan for them, that was eventually put in place]."

For me this is pretty jaw-dropping stuff - the Chinese told Hank Paulson that the Russians were suggesting a joint pact with China to drive down the price of the debt of Fannie and Freddie, and maximize the turmoil on Wall Street - presumably with a view to maximizing the cost of the rescue for Washington and further damaging its financial health.

Do ho ho ho, Great Power Politics.

more like superpower domestic politics

a lot of the triumphalism in russia and china is fuelled by american radical thought these days. you don't read russian or chinese nationalists, but peter schiff gets passed around moscow and shanghai

back in the 2008s there was quite a lot of drum-beating by left-wing and right-wing radicals alike that the False Boom was Over, chickens roosting, et cetera.

I've heard it said that there is a growing Chinese popular opinion of national excellency, and that China would be best off cutting its ties to older nations with slowing economies, since they'd only be dragging China down with them.

One wonders what'd happen if that sentiment ever found more solid traction in the upper layers of government.

Zephiran on
    Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    I had a great risk of rain monsoon run going.

And then the game put me in the lava pit and spawned the cremator. :(

It's hard to play the kiting class when you fight a giant lava artillery turtle.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I am p pleased with this @Organichu‌
    Problem:

If a × b = n, we call a × b a factorization of n. In this exercise, write a program that takes a positive integer n from input, and then outputs all factorizations of n; you should follow the formatting given by the following example for n=10.

1 times 10 equals 10
    2 times 5 equals 10
    5 times 2 equals 10
    10 times 1 equals 10
    n = int(input())

for b in range(1, n + 1):
        a = int(n / b)
        if a * b != n:
            continue
        else:
            print(a, "times", b, "equals", n)

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I need a hug. Tonight is a need a hug night.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    You know what the hardest thing about driving 37 hours by yourself in three days is? Doing it three and a half months after your dad died. More than a few waves of grief, sometimes as simple as "Ooh, this song is good - haven't heard it since before he died", and sometimes about the actual lyrics, and sometimes for no apparent reason. I'm glad not to be in Montana anymore.

my grasp of for and while still p tenuous I think

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Like the difference, or both of them are just confusing as a class?

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I need a hug. Tonight is a need a hug night.

Hugs Henroid.

488W936.png
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Hugs

Shivahn wrote: »

Like the difference, or both of them are just confusing as a class?

I understand the idea of looping over the code multiple times

but like, when I first wrote that code I initialized b = 1 after n was defined, which wasn't necessary because that's where the range starts

and then after the if: and else: I had a b+1 to increase the count, which was also unnecessary

also the last math class I took was calc 1 in 1999 or 2000 : (

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    I had a great risk of rain monsoon run going.

And then the game put me in the lava pit and spawned the cremator. :(

It's hard to play the kiting class when you fight a giant lava artillery turtle.

Lava Barracks is a death sentence

Well, computer math is often... different, at least the structural stuff.

I dunno what code you're talking about though, I just got here.

Though it's 2AM I dunno if I should be helping :pensive:

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I am p pleased with this @Organichu‌
    Problem:

If a × b = n, we call a × b a factorization of n. In this exercise, write a program that takes a positive integer n from input, and then outputs all factorizations of n; you should follow the formatting given by the following example for n=10.

1 times 10 equals 10
    2 times 5 equals 10
    5 times 2 equals 10
    10 times 1 equals 10
    n = int(input())

a = int(n / b)
        if a * b != n:
            continue
        else:

Why not just check if "a" is an integer?
    n = int(input())

a = (n / b)
        if a.is_integer():

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    God damn it smiley I was trying to do colon P

But that works.

I do not know .is_integer() yet : (

also I thought the .whatever thingies could only go on stuff that acted on strings but it appears not!

I guess

if a.is_integer():

would be the same as

if n % b == 0 :

?

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    In python, the for loop is actually really simple. There are no moving parts, no complex shit to think about. The range function outputs a list of numbers starting with the first argument, ending with (for arcane historical reasons) one less than the second argument. So if your input is 10, you can mentally sub in the code to look like this:
    for b in [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10]:

So all the python for loop does is take each value in that list, one at a time, in order, stuff it into the variable "b" and run the code inside. In other languages this is typically called a "for each" loop, meaning, for each value in the specified list of values, run this operation.

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Oh fuck, it's 1. I gotta wake up early tomorrow.

Noo

I guess

if a.is_integer():

would be the same as

if n % b == 0 :

?

Yeah, pretty much.

"If the quotient is an integer" and "If the remainder is zero" are basically the same question, though you can always run into goofiness in other languages.

okay I am off to bed nerds

dk thanks for the code thought

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I guess

if a.is_integer():

would be the same as

if n % b == 0 :

?

Yeah, pretty much.

"If the quotient is an integer" and "If the remainder is zero" are basically the same question, though you can always run into goofiness in other languages.

I'd be shocked if "is_integer" wasn't implemented as a check on the remainder.

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Think I got uncutoff from welfare today. Guess I'll find out when I see how poor I am tomorrow.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    poo
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I finally saw Frozen. It was....well....

I'll get this out of the way: The first 15 minutes and last 10 minutes were awful. Everything else was amazing.
    I was so ready to turn it off when they wouldn't stop singing at the beginning. Like, get on with it. And then as soon as Elsa's powers were revealed, it got really good. Like, really good.

And then the ending was the most convenient what the hell ever. It made no sense. None. All the loose ends just flat out ignored. The entire rest of the film just flat out ignored.

Let it Go was pretty good, though.

Finally getting somewhere in Dark Souls 2 but now im on the one boss that seems to be the early gatekeeper
    The Ruin Sentinels

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    DS2 had such a rough start.

Especially as a Wizard.

Like, they gave me no shield, I had to buy one, and then I needed strength 10 to use it. I started at strength 3.

I had to farm souls just to be like, competent.

And the starting area is really bland. I don't know, I am sure I will get into its groove eventually but I am really not feeling it yet.

Right now I am really just waiting for Ground Zeroes to drop.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Oh fuck, it's 1. I gotta wake up early tomorrow.

Noo

it's true
    see nerds, I can make coding jokes too!

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    edited March 2014
    shryke wrote: »
    I guess

if a.is_integer():

would be the same as

if n % b == 0 :

?

Yeah, pretty much.

I'd be shocked if "is_integer" wasn't implemented as a check on the remainder.

Nah, it's something uglier and worse, but it seemed like the most instructive alternate solution. is_integer() takes a look at the underlying numerical data. If it's stored as an integer, it returns true straight away. If it's stored as floating point (which it would be here), it checks that the nearest integer is less than 1 bit of precision away (or something similar).

To the novice, you are expected (and should) take the method at face value. It checks if the thing you run it on is an integer or not! It's not until much later or when you encounter problems that it's worth splitting hairs over this stuff.

Donkey Kong on
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Especially as a Wizard.

Like, they gave me no shield, I had to buy one, and then I needed strength 10 to use it. I started at strength 3.

And the starting area is really bland. I don't know, I am sure I will get into its groove eventually but I am really not feeling it yet.

Yeah I rolled a Wizard too

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    The code tags keep switching back and forth from the new clean look to the old crappy look :s

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Especially as a Wizard.

probalbly a half hour on Ground Zeroes

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    It's up for purchase now, buying it. Won't be home for another 10 minutes though.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.com/news/business-26609548
    There is a cynicism in the relationship between Russia and the US, being played out in the Crimean crisis, which is deep, rooted in history and shows that the triumph of capitalism over communism wasn't the end of the power game between these two nations.

The depth of mistrust between the two was highlighted in the interview given by Hank Paulson, the former US treasury secretary, for my recent BBC Two documentary, How China Fooled The World.

Here is Mr Paulson on the unfolding drama:

"When Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac started to become unglued, and you know there were $5.4tn of securities relating to Fannie and Freddie, $1.7tn outside of the US. The Chinese were the biggest external investor holding Fannie and Freddie securities, so the Chinese were very, very concerned."

Or to put it another way, the Chinese government owned $1.7tn of mortgage-backed bonds issued by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and it was deeply concerned it would incur huge losses on these bonds.

Mr Paulson: "I was talking to them [Chinese ministers and officials] regularly because I didn't want them to dump the securities on the market and precipitate a bigger crisis.

Now this is where we enter the territory of a geopolitical thriller. Mr Paulson:

"Here I'm not going to name the senior person, but I was meeting with someone… This person told me that the Chinese had received a message from the Russians which was, 'Hey let's join together and sell Fannie and Freddie securities on the market.' The Chinese weren't going to do that but again, it just, it just drove home to me how vulnerable I felt until we had put Fannie and Freddie into conservatorship [the rescue plan for them, that was eventually put in place]."

For me this is pretty jaw-dropping stuff - the Chinese told Hank Paulson that the Russians were suggesting a joint pact with China to drive down the price of the debt of Fannie and Freddie, and maximize the turmoil on Wall Street - presumably with a view to maximizing the cost of the rescue for Washington and further damaging its financial health.

Do ho ho ho, Great Power Politics.

more like superpower domestic politics

a lot of the triumphalism in russia and china is fuelled by american radical thought these days. you don't read russian or chinese nationalists, but peter schiff gets passed around moscow and shanghai

back in the 2008s there was quite a lot of drum-beating by left-wing and right-wing radicals alike that the False Boom was Over, chickens roosting, et cetera.

I've heard it said that there is a growing Chinese popular opinion of national excellency, and that China would be best off cutting its ties to older nations with slowing economies, since they'd only be dragging China down with them.

One wonders what'd happen if that sentiment ever found more solid traction in the upper layers of government.

one should wait for the average Chinese to become as rich as the average Mexican before this becomes a credible threat

the middle income trap looms

aRkpc.gif
    Having a conversation with this girl on okcupid is like playing handball against the drapes

messages come back but they're so dull and unrevealing that it's kind of boring

c'mon girl, learn some goddamn art of conversation

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    2d40ddb2-ea2d-4148-b449-8cc12138255a-460x276.jpeg

geezis

aRkpc.gif
    It is possible that she is uninterested and trying to be polite?

It is possible that she is uninterested and trying to be polite?

I'm not unwilling to rule that possibility out, but she's made a couple flirty comments

Like her tone doesn't seem like of disinterest

just of being really boring

This discussion has been closed.