As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I should have had [chat] prepared!

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Kana I am trying to watch Mushishi again and blorgh

I forgot how bad standard definition looks

where my bluray re-release

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    It is possible that she is uninterested and trying to be polite?

I'm not unwilling to rule that possibility out, but she's made a couple flirty comments

Like her tone doesn't seem like of disinterest

just of being really boring

people do have off days. and off times.

maybe she's okcupiding during a poop

not feeling romantic

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    It is possible that she is uninterested and trying to be polite?

I'm not unwilling to rule that possibility out, but she's made a couple flirty comments

Like her tone doesn't seem like of disinterest

just of being really boring

people do have off days. and off times.

maybe she's okcupiding during a poop

not feeling romantic

so what you're saying is msg her about my poop so she'll feel like we have something to relate to

good thinkin'

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    fhWydSO.jpg

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Zephiran wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.com/news/business-26609548
    There is a cynicism in the relationship between Russia and the US, being played out in the Crimean crisis, which is deep, rooted in history and shows that the triumph of capitalism over communism wasn't the end of the power game between these two nations.

The depth of mistrust between the two was highlighted in the interview given by Hank Paulson, the former US treasury secretary, for my recent BBC Two documentary, How China Fooled The World.

Here is Mr Paulson on the unfolding drama:

"When Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac started to become unglued, and you know there were $5.4tn of securities relating to Fannie and Freddie, $1.7tn outside of the US. The Chinese were the biggest external investor holding Fannie and Freddie securities, so the Chinese were very, very concerned."

Or to put it another way, the Chinese government owned $1.7tn of mortgage-backed bonds issued by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and it was deeply concerned it would incur huge losses on these bonds.

Mr Paulson: "I was talking to them [Chinese ministers and officials] regularly because I didn't want them to dump the securities on the market and precipitate a bigger crisis.

Now this is where we enter the territory of a geopolitical thriller. Mr Paulson:

"Here I'm not going to name the senior person, but I was meeting with someone… This person told me that the Chinese had received a message from the Russians which was, 'Hey let's join together and sell Fannie and Freddie securities on the market.' The Chinese weren't going to do that but again, it just, it just drove home to me how vulnerable I felt until we had put Fannie and Freddie into conservatorship [the rescue plan for them, that was eventually put in place]."

For me this is pretty jaw-dropping stuff - the Chinese told Hank Paulson that the Russians were suggesting a joint pact with China to drive down the price of the debt of Fannie and Freddie, and maximize the turmoil on Wall Street - presumably with a view to maximizing the cost of the rescue for Washington and further damaging its financial health.

Do ho ho ho, Great Power Politics.

more like superpower domestic politics

a lot of the triumphalism in russia and china is fuelled by american radical thought these days. you don't read russian or chinese nationalists, but peter schiff gets passed around moscow and shanghai

back in the 2008s there was quite a lot of drum-beating by left-wing and right-wing radicals alike that the False Boom was Over, chickens roosting, et cetera.

I've heard it said that there is a growing Chinese popular opinion of national excellency, and that China would be best off cutting its ties to older nations with slowing economies, since they'd only be dragging China down with them.

One wonders what'd happen if that sentiment ever found more solid traction in the upper layers of government.

one should wait for the average Chinese to become as rich as the average Mexican before this becomes a credible threat

the middle income trap looms

How do we diarm this trap? Would a sacrifice of a Mexican help???

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    some anonymous commenter is running about the Internet clumsily alleging that mh370 was loaded with gold, it's popped up on a bunch of disparate websites

trolling technique is the same: darkly alleging cargo motive, then arguing from 50 seat block-off to allege gold

sadly, there was a human-interesty-report released around the same time revealing that the flight was loaded with four tonnes of... mangosteens. So suddenly it seems a lot less exciting.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Kalkino wrote: »
    There is a cynicism in the relationship between Russia and the US, being played out in the Crimean crisis, which is deep, rooted in history and shows that the triumph of capitalism over communism wasn't the end of the power game between these two nations.

The depth of mistrust between the two was highlighted in the interview given by Hank Paulson, the former US treasury secretary, for my recent BBC Two documentary, How China Fooled The World.

"When Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac started to become unglued, and you know there were $5.4tn of securities relating to Fannie and Freddie, $1.7tn outside of the US. The Chinese were the biggest external investor holding Fannie and Freddie securities, so the Chinese were very, very concerned."

Or to put it another way, the Chinese government owned $1.7tn of mortgage-backed bonds issued by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and it was deeply concerned it would incur huge losses on these bonds.

Mr Paulson: "I was talking to them [Chinese ministers and officials] regularly because I didn't want them to dump the securities on the market and precipitate a bigger crisis.

Now this is where we enter the territory of a geopolitical thriller. Mr Paulson:

"Here I'm not going to name the senior person, but I was meeting with someone… This person told me that the Chinese had received a message from the Russians which was, 'Hey let's join together and sell Fannie and Freddie securities on the market.' The Chinese weren't going to do that but again, it just, it just drove home to me how vulnerable I felt until we had put Fannie and Freddie into conservatorship [the rescue plan for them, that was eventually put in place]."

For me this is pretty jaw-dropping stuff - the Chinese told Hank Paulson that the Russians were suggesting a joint pact with China to drive down the price of the debt of Fannie and Freddie, and maximize the turmoil on Wall Street - presumably with a view to maximizing the cost of the rescue for Washington and further damaging its financial health.

a lot of the triumphalism in russia and china is fuelled by american radical thought these days. you don't read russian or chinese nationalists, but peter schiff gets passed around moscow and shanghai

back in the 2008s there was quite a lot of drum-beating by left-wing and right-wing radicals alike that the False Boom was Over, chickens roosting, et cetera.

I've heard it said that there is a growing Chinese popular opinion of national excellency, and that China would be best off cutting its ties to older nations with slowing economies, since they'd only be dragging China down with them.

One wonders what'd happen if that sentiment ever found more solid traction in the upper layers of government.

one should wait for the average Chinese to become as rich as the average Mexican before this becomes a credible threat

I think it requires coffee beans picked by a Mexican in Mexico, and then you brew into a nice cuppa and drink it whilst intoning Raul Prebisch's name three times

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular

How do we disarm this trap? Would a sacrifice of a Mexican help???

Alternate levels of Economist and Rogue until you qualify for the Econodog Prestige Class, it gets Disarm Income Trap as a Level 6 Spell, with bonuses from class specific Feats.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    oh, i see. it turned up on zerohedge, so it's actually just their fanclub. sigh

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Kana I am trying to watch Mushishi again and blorgh

I forgot how bad standard definition looks

where my bluray re-release

New season of mushishi is starting in like 2 or 3 weeks!

I've been rewatching some episodes myself to celebrate.

It's kinda impressive how for an episodic show, the way it frames each story can really change around a lot. Sometimes it's almost all flashback narrated by a patient, sometimes it's flashback narrated by Ginko, sometimes he shows up as the protagonist to figure out what's going on, sometimes he's a weird untrustworthy figure for most of the story who's keeping secrets from the patient. Heck sometimes it's mostly just someone telling you about the life cycles of imaginary simple life forms. And for every case where he's able to help someone, there's cases where he's arrived too late, or where there's simply no known cure, or it just goes away on its own.

Also that episode where he hangs out with the writing girl with the black leg is amazing, because it's super romantic if you've watched the rest of the series and you might not even notice anything between them if it's the first episode you watch.
    Normally every episode starts with the narrator introducing an idea about a Mushi, but this episode uniquely starts with Ginko narrating instead, and not about a mushi but about a girl. There's been a couple of girls through the series that have asked to go with him, both because he's often a symbol of escape and because he's a sexy beast, and he always immediately shoots them down. But when she says that she'd like to travel with him someday he agrees, and he even talks about himself a bit, which he normally never does with any of the other characters we've seen. And then while every other episode ends with Ginko walking off, this episode just ends with them chillin' out, sitting on a rock together.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    some anonymous commenter is running about the Internet clumsily alleging that mh370 was loaded with gold, it's popped up on a bunch of disparate websites

trolling technique is the same: darkly alleging cargo motive, then arguing from 50 seat block-off to allege gold

sadly, there was a human-interesty-report released around the same time revealing that the flight was loaded with four tonnes of... mangosteens. So suddenly it seems a lot less exciting.

It was filled with bitcoins.

That would explain the climb and the inevitable crash.

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Seattle is mostly a very nice city

Except for some reason for 3rd and Pike, which is a fucking shithole

And now it has a twitter account dedicated to its glory

https://twitter.com/3rdAndPike

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    good morning fellow meat sacks

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

He wants you to murder rich Mexicans.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    note to self: stop waiting until shaking from hunger to eat

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Day three of trying to eat healthier. Can confirm happiness is not found at the bottom of a bowl of Weetabix.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Tav wrote: »
    Day three of trying to eat healthier. Can confirm happiness is not found at the bottom of a bowl of Weetabix.

nothing tastes as good as thin feels etc etc etc

lots of things come close tho

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    GOOD JOB I PROCRASTINATED SO MUCH ON A TASK THAT I FINISHED IN LIKE 3 HOURS

THAT
    I AM NOW GOING TO BED AT 430AM

I COULD HAVE FINISHED
    BY LIKE

7PM

IF MY BRAIN WAS NOT MY ENEMY

i dont even know if i can sleep well now sighhh

poo
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    oops the email i finally sent to my boss went out at 4:20AM WHAT DOES THAT SAY ABT ME

poo
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I think I have the background plot of this campaign sorted. Now to have an actual plot prepared.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I think I have the background plot of this campaign sorted. Now to have an actual plot prepared.
    Reverse vampires are going to transform the moon into a second sun so they can rule the world.

To do this they need the corpse of the sun titan which is actually the foundation for the largest city in the world.

As a complication the moon is actually an old illithid research station and they would rather not have it set fire to

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Reverse vampires are going to transform the moon into a second sun so they can rule the world.

To do this they need the corpse of the sun titan which is actually the foundation for the largest city in the world.

As a complication the moon is actually an old illithid research station and they would rather not have it set fire to

Nah, the background is low level political intrigue while the party is busy busting fools, both figurative and maybe literal if I roll up a Bard.

• Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    My hopefully long-term job is awesome but holy shit my weekend destroyed me.

Massive headcold and my entire body feels like I've endured a blanket party.

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Nah, the background is low level political intrigue while the party is busy busting fools, both figurative and maybe literal if I roll up a Bard.

The princess of a neighbouring kingdom is hosting a grand ball to which she had invited the second sons/daughters of almost every noble and royal family around (friends and enemies).

There is an uproar in court as this seems like a trap to take hostages. A really much too obvious trap.

The party are part of a Noble's entourage overtly charged with making sure everything is on the DL. One npc member is a spy from a lesser family who is trying to force the ball into being the fiasco it could be in order to raise their position back home.

Also the princess does have a plan but it's not hostages instead she is working with the goblin king to overthrow the old ways and usher in a new era of peace and chaos

• Options
    Tav wrote: »

Protip: Eat Weetbix instead and join the winning team

• Options
    For some reason I care not to inquire into further, Austral-NZ-asia call weetabix weetbix. They look identical and I assume are related

• Options
    How about Notmadewithwheatmadewithoatsinsteadabix?

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    weetbix.

Sounds like something you should say in south african accent

• Options
    31863011_H.jpg

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    I like weetabix.

• Options
    Dis' wrote: »
    weetbix.

Sounds like something you should say in south african accent

LtLmw69.jpg

An Australian invention, with Weetabix being the inferior UK subsidiary version.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    oops the email i finally sent to my boss went out at 4:20AM WHAT DOES THAT SAY ABT ME

If anyone asks, you were up doing your email because you were having trouble sleeping

It's technically true

• Options
    Oatibix frustratingly still contain wheat

Finding a non-wheat based cereal is extraordinarily difficult, and those that exist are hideously expensive

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Nah, the background is low level political intrigue.

Who shall usurp the throne of the deputy head of administrative affairs for the local council of the third sub-district of the Printer's Quarter in Waterdeep?

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    I want Weed-bix

• Options
    man, reading traditional chinese is so disorienting

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    There's room there for a joke about the juxtaposition of "traditional Chinese" and "orient" however not sure if racist.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I am talking to a girl I know who is currently narrating to me, via hastily-typed IMs, a lesbian groping with her roommate.

This wasn't how I'd planned to spend my 5am, but I mean, I will take it.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    japan wrote: »
    There's room there for a joke about the juxtaposition of "traditional Chinese" and "orient" however not sure if racist.

Chinese people have magic powers and can turn into bats

there, I just said what we were all thinking anyway

This discussion has been closed.