As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I should have had [chat] prepared!

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    *sigh* and after all that I misread a multiplier somewhere and got the right process but wrong answer. But screw it, the logic makes sense but this is why I don't do giant factor expansions.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Alright

Staying up until 3am to try and get one of the Mondo posters

this'll be something I never regret

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    dem bones had it all

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    how old is the undertaker dude now anyway

i dimly recall him on the adverts when i was a kid, so he's gotta be old

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Plus both Taker and Kane seem to have been smart with their money.

It's really surprising to see such a turnaround with the wrestlers and how they handle their money compared to guys from back in say the 80's and 90's. Mind you, a lot of them are smart to things like drugs and alcohol as well now which is a bonus.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

I remember when Paul Bearer intro'd both of those guys...

Rasslin' has changed a lot since I was a kid... There wasn't such a strong demand to keep the legends in the ring back in the 80s and early 90s, past the point where it was safe to do so.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ronya wrote: »
    how old is the undertaker dude now anyway

i dimly recall him on the adverts when i was a kid, so he's gotta be old

Funnily enough he's turning 50 in six days.

~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    The Undertaker is 49

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Gonmun wrote: »

It's really surprising to see such a turnaround with the wrestlers and how they handle their money compared to guys from back in say the 80's and 90's. Mind you, a lot of them are smart to things like drugs and alcohol as well now which is a bonus.

Stuff was fucked well into the 2000s...

Benoit was a major wake up call to a lot of people in the industry. Listened to a Kurt Angle interview where he talked about his pill addiction throughout his WWF/WWE career, and how Vince did not give a shit so long as he made the shows. Wasn't given time off for rehab.

Was fucked.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    The Undertaker is 49

49? That's over twice as old as I am!

When'd he get so old?

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Taker is coming up 50. He only wrestles one match per year (And maybe a tag match or two) though, as part of the Wrestlemania myth. (Where he is undefeated, 21-0)

Taker is right from the middle of the gimmick era, where you had wrestling pirates, sumo wrestlers, dentists, repo men etcet. It's pretty funny that he is the only real surviving member and noone really comments on it.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »

Benoit was a major wake up call to a lot of people in the industry. Listened to a Kurt Angle interview where he talked about his pill addiction throughout his WWF/WWE career, and how Vince did not give a shit so long as he made the shows. Wasn't given time off for rehab.

Was fucked.

Angle hasn't done himself any favours. Numerous dui's now and has been offered rehab by WWE even while with TNA still and he hasn't taken them up on it. Not to mention how messed up his neck is now. I remember seeing a recent pic of him at a show and at times he's needing a wheelchair to get around because of how banged up he is.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Is Deadman taker back or is he still biker taker

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

Been back to deadman for years now. He also only wrestles a couple times a year max which is fair enough.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    evilbob wrote: »
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

Been back to deadman for years now. He also only wrestles a couple times a year max which is fair enough.

I loved it when he came back as the deadman. Seeing him come out with it again when I saw my first full Wrestlemania in college was awesome. IIRC it was Wrestlemania XX that he brought it back.

• Options
    syndalis wrote: »

Was fucked.

Angle hasn't done himself any favours. Numerous dui's now and has been offered rehab by WWE even while with TNA still and he hasn't taken them up on it. Not to mention how messed up his neck is now. I remember seeing a recent pic of him at a show and at times he's needing a wheelchair to get around because of how banged up he is.

I don't think he's a hero - dude is a trainwreck.

But I also 100% believe that in the pre-Benoit world, Vince didn't exactly care how healthy his stable was, as long as they put on a good show a couple nights a week.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    i just remember how wacky it was when vince mcmahon was suddenly jacked.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Steroids do seem to be mostly gone from the modern product, at least by the look of most wrestlers. I don't doubt a ton of painkillers are doing the rounds though. And I bet they are a lot less tolerant of recreational drugs these days, they care a lot more about the image of the WWE. Jim Ross basically lost his job because he let a drunk Ric Flair get off the rails on camera. (His role had already been diminished).

If you want to read up crazy stuff, look into the planeride from hell. It's a charter back from England after a PPV in 2001/2002 with an amazing amount of drugrelated incidents.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I miss the glory days of the WCW. How did they fuck that up so badly. It didn't make sense to me as it was happening. Let alone now.

zepherin on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Fred Phelps was reportedly kicked out of the church for encouraging it to be kinder.

So much schadenfreude.

• Options
    DUE DREAM LOG VOLUME XII Entry 34.

Today I dreamed that I woke up late for work. Got ready. Made it to work just in time. It was a hectic and rushed morning.

Then I woke up. Running late for work.

too real.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    I miss the glory days of the WCW. How did they fuck that up so badly. It didn't make sense to me as it was happening. Let alone now.

Russo

No Vince McMahon filtering out the dumbest Russo ideas.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    They lost major viewership to the WWF who had the 'edgier' product, while they had a ton of crazy expensive contracts with older talent. On top of that Hogan had creative control in his.
    They did a hailmary by poaching WWFs lead writer (Vince Russo) whose style is 'carcrash booking' (It doesn't matter what happens, as long as it is unpredictable so people watch next time).
    Russos idea for making the WCW better was by making it even more crazy and unpredictable than the WWE. But it just became incoherent and then the Fingerpoke of Doom happened, which resulted in a lawsuit between Hogan and Russo, both were benched but still paid millions.

• Options

It's amazing how things wound up falling apart. A lot of contributing factors but towards the end holy god did it crash and burn. Sort of similar to how TNA is going now if you ask me.

• Options
    the way they are marketing wrestling suggests to me that their audience is aging and they're not finding a way to stop that trend

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    evilbob wrote: »

Russo

No Vince McMahon filtering out the dumbest Russo ideas.

Was so weird watching Hulk go heel for the first time.

People in the crowd booing and throwing trash at the ring... they were so invested.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Fingernail polish needs to dry faster.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    the way they are marketing wrestling suggests to me that their audience is aging and they're not finding a way to stop that trend

The kids prefer MMA nowadays.

• Options
    Cinders wrote: »

Unless you're John Cena, it's crazy how much merch he sells.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I was wondering what y'all were talking about wrt wrestling, but then I realised you're all a fair bit older than me. I didn't start watching it until like 2000ish

• Options

Yeah, they are not marketing wrestling at 6-10yr olds any more.

Honestly I haven't watched any wrestling in going on 8 years. But I would totally buy a new wrestling videogame if the gameplay matched the N64 ones with a fresh coat of paint, and the create a wrestler mode let me built whatever I wanted.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014

If only we could stop the aging process...

Winky on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

It's all just wrestling and the target age group remains the same. You just have to rebrand every so often so the kids think they've got something new and exciting.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    I wish there was a way to type out the way Paul Bearer talked, because it was great

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Dennis Rodman wrestling
    Karl Malone wrestling
    Jay Leno wrestling
    David Arquette wrestling and winning the World Heavyweight title

edit: late WCW is like simon's star wars eu highlights but wrestling

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    They lost major viewership to the WWF who had the 'edgier' product, while they had a ton of crazy expensive contracts with older talent. On top of that Hogan had creative control in his.
    They did a hailmary by poaching WWFs lead writer (Vince Russo) whose style is 'carcrash booking' (It doesn't matter what happens, as long as it is unpredictable so people watch next time).
    Russos idea for making the WCW better was by making it even more crazy and unpredictable than the WWE. But it just became incoherent and then the Fingerpoke of Doom happened, which resulted in a lawsuit between Hogan and Russo, both were benched but still paid millions.
    That was very informative.

• Options
    simonwolf wrote: »
    I wish there was a way to type out the way Paul Bearer talked, because it was great

Oh yeeeeeeeessssss.

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

It's all just wrestling and the target age group remains the same. You just have to rebrand every so often so the kids think they've got something new and exciting.

if the kids don't bite at whatever new wrestlers, then you have to put the old ones back on so you don't lose your existing fans

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

Wrestling is an up and down business, but there are some notable lulls after Hulkamania and after the Attitude era. The second in particular was so huge that it will never be repeated again, but they'll always be trying to capture even part of that lost audience. That's why they push stars of that era. The business has improved quite a bit since 2006 or so, but is plateauing at the moment.

In general the WWE has a problem because its core audience has very different demands from its casual audience. The core wants exciting, long matches with new talent that is in better shape and has had better training, the casual audience favors loads of airtime for established stars like (Cena & Orton). Both like nostalgic pops (though the core only in small doses and not every wrestler, when Dave Batista came back this year he was basically boo'd out of the building for taking the spotlight even though he is a mediocre worker who is too old to work a decent match)

This discussion has been closed.