As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I should have had [chat] prepared!

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    just reading up on the Fingerpoke of Doom

man that shit sounds awful

• GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    just reading up on the Fingerpoke of Doom

man that shit sounds awful

For those who haven't seen it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhS4ZDnRqJQ

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    did something happen? why is wrestling the topic

not that I'm complaining.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    When I was in my 20s we used to play the n64 wrestling games all the time.

Had about 20 local friends who all had created wrestlers on the system, and we would run our own shows, complete with swapping teams, betrayals, last minute victories, title matches, matching tag team costumes... the whole thing.

We pretty much overwrote the entire roster with our creations, too... left a few but it was our federation by the time it was over.

Those games were the best party games ever.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    SanderJK wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »
    I miss the glory days of the WCW. How did they fuck that up so badly. It didn't make sense to me as it was happening. Let alone now.
    They lost major viewership to the WWF who had the 'edgier' product, while they had a ton of crazy expensive contracts with older talent. On top of that Hogan had creative control in his.
    They did a hailmary by poaching WWFs lead writer (Vince Russo) whose style is 'carcrash booking' (It doesn't matter what happens, as long as it is unpredictable so people watch next time).
    Russos idea for making the WCW better was by making it even more crazy and unpredictable than the WWE. But it just became incoherent and then the Fingerpoke of Doom happened, which resulted in a lawsuit between Hogan and Russo, both were benched but still paid millions.
    That was very informative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fingerpoke_of_Doom

JtvfTNG.jpg

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    keep in mind some shit that will sound awful now was AMAZING in the moment

it's that when they kept going down that road, always going for immediate payoff over long term logical booking that shit fell apart for wcw

there are some awesome documentaries out there about it. generally heavily wwe tinted but still.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    Variable wrote: »
    did something happen? why is wrestling the topic

not that I'm complaining.

I don't know...one minute we're hearing about Jacob getting a story about lesbian groping, the next we're waxing nostalgic about The Undertaker. lol

~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    Variable wrote: »
    keep in mind some shit that will sound awful now was AMAZING in the moment

it's that when they kept going down that road, always going for immediate payoff over long term logical booking that shit fell apart for wcw

there are some awesome documentaries out there about it. generally heavily wwe tinted but still.

Or no payoff at all (Year long build up to Sting/Hogan at Starcade which sadly didn't go well).

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Reddit wrote:
    The New York Times had a good article published in 2006[1] that contains a number of amusing telegrams, largely collected from the book "Telegram!" by Linda Rosenkrantz[2] . A few favourites are:

Western Union charged by the word, turning the loquacious terse, and sometimes ambiguous. A reporter asked the actor Cary Grant about his age.

HOW OLD CARY GRANT?

The actor supposedly replied:

OLD CARY GRANT FINE. HOW YOU?

And

Both Mark Twain and Arthur Conan Doyle supposedly sent similar telegrams to a dozen prominent men, all of whom packed up and left town immediately.

FLEE AT ONCE — ALL IS DISCOVERED.

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

Had about 20 local friends who all had created wrestlers on the system, and we would run our own shows, complete with swapping teams, betrayals, last minute victories, title matches, matching tag team costumes... the whole thing.

We pretty much overwrote the entire roster with our creations, too... left a few but it was our federation by the time it was over.

WWF No Mercy is the greatest wrestling game ever made.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

evilbob wrote: »

Followed closely by Wrestlemania 2000 since it was the pre-cursor to No Mercy. God I loved those games. Made so many stables and crazy wrestlers.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    I have never grasped the appeal of wwe type wrestling

In other news everywhere is selling cheap vegetable seed. I spent less than a fiver in three different shops and have enough to start a moderate smallholding

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Im just really surprised that nobody has come along and completely aped that format of fighter for a new generation of console players... because it is so fucking good, and the Smackdown model that has seemingly overtaken it is so awful in comparison.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    Gonmun wrote: »

Followed closely by Wrestlemania 2000 since it was the pre-cursor to No Mercy. God I loved those games. Made so many stables and crazy wrestlers.

That feeling when you figure out how to copy your opponent's finishers and taunts. :D

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I probably spent more time in one of the old Playstation WWF games than I have spent in any other video games

making stables

setting up crazy matches

promoting my main heel, the sinister Homosexual Agenda

Also, story line involving Perry Saturn in a bikini contest.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Yesterday was such a good day. Like, if I had one day to live over and over again like Bill Murray and it had to be that day, I would sign off on that 100%.

An amazing day.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    There's something about this girl's voice from Be Your Own Pet that just gets me all hot and bothered...

That feeling when you figure out how to copy your opponent's finishers and taunts. :D

I just did them all from scratch myself and gave them the craziest movesets. A 6'9 albino who can flip off of a guys chest in the corner? Why the heck not?!

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Yesterday was such a good day. Like, if I had one day to live over and over again like Bill Murray and it had to be that day, I would sign off on that 100%.

An amazing day.

Yay!

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    I probably spent more time in one of the old Playstation WWF games than I have spent in any other video games

making stables

setting up crazy matches

That sounds like a Vince McMahon idea to me.

Also the appeal to WWE for me at least is that it's a crazy story generator. I watch the product in the background unless the match is particularly good but I love trying to guess the direction the writers are heading, how the real world intermingles with their fantasy world.

The rights to WWE games lie with a different publisher nowadays (2K, who have some good sportsgames after the collapse of THQ) but for this year they again seem to be going with Yuke, the famously crappy developer.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    edited March 2014
    Yay terrible WCW moments.

edit: god damn it the pulled all the videos of the se7en debut that include him ranting at the end.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    no mercy was the one and only wrestling game i ever owned i think

it was the shit

also im tired cuz i am the worst

poo
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    My knowledge of Wrestling extends to the Ultimate Warrior being weird.
    HOAK HOGAN!

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    It it is hard to type with my left hand.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    the wiki about Chris Benoit is depressingly in-depth

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Ronya the new 538 site just launched

http://fivethirtyeight.com/

thought it might interest you

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    Cinders wrote: »

I think you're enjoying the wrestling talk a little too much.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Last I watched wrestling I was like in 3rd grade. Never really got it. That is the only addition I can make.

Though coming to work today was interesting.

Girl sits down next to me on the subway and I am like she is cute and go back to playing dominion. We get off at the same stop and I realize she is fun sized. Like 4'8" or something.

Then waking to work I see a car to go smart car bring towed for parking stuff. Random guy next to me and I get a laugh out of it then go out separate ways.

Yay random human interaction.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Cinders wrote: »

I think you're enjoying the wrestling talk a little too much.
    Finger nail polish isn't dry on right hand

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »

making stables

setting up crazy matches

That sounds like a Vince McMahon idea to me.

Also the appeal to WWE for me at least is that it's a crazy story generator. I watch the product in the background unless the match is particularly good but I love trying to guess the direction the writers are heading, how the real world intermingles with their fantasy world.

The rights to WWE games lie with a different publisher nowadays (2K, who have some good sportsgames after the collapse of THQ) but for this year they again seem to be going with Yuke, the famously crappy developer.

Actually there was a blurb by the CM at 2k who said something like yeah our names was on least years game but that game was pretty much done when we bought the license this year expect a whole new product.

HOAK HOGAN!

He's actually going to be getting inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame this year the night before Wrestlemania. Somehow he managed to patch things up with the McMahon's which is surprising considering WWE released the DVD entitled "The Self-Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior" a few years back.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Last I watched wrestling I was like in 3rd grade. Never really got it. That is the only addition I can make.

Though coming to work today was interesting.

Girl sits down next to me on the subway and I am like she is cute and go back to playing dominion. We get off at the same stop and I realize she is fun sized. Like 4'8" or something.

Then waking to work I see a car to go smart car bring towed for parking stuff. Random guy next to me and I get a laugh out of it then go out separate ways.

Yay random human interaction.

1384135596957.jpg

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i went to the gym

this was a terrible mistake

obF2Wuw.png
    HOAK HOGAN!

He's actually going to be getting inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame this year the night before Wrestlemania. Somehow he managed to patch things up with the McMahon's which is surprising considering WWE released the DVD entitled "The Self-Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior" a few years back.

Looks like his destiny has always been to be who he is.

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Yay terrible WCW moments.

edit: god damn it the pulled all the videos of the se7en debut that include him ranting at the end.

"My new name is seven by the way."

i went to the gym

this was a terrible mistake

You know how to amend this mistake. I need not speak of it.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i went to the gym
    why

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    t6B0J.jpg
    come on let's go for a hike

ftOqU21.png
    Elendil wrote: »
    i went to the gym
    why

Hulkamania is sweeping the country

This discussion has been closed.