As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I should have had [chat] prepared!

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    i have the coolest hack for Torchbearer in mind, but it basically involves designing a whole new game.

Crownbearer
    It's basically sim-city within the Burning Wheel rules. You begin building an empire in the lands you conquered as an adventurer. Instead of earning conditions on an individual level, you earn them for your kingdom as a whole. Hungry and Thirsty means your people are Hungry. Sick means a plague of some kind is making its way across the land. You use Stonemason to build walls and castles, Pathfinder to for Roads. Survivalist to counter the effects of famine and drought, etc.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    Putin enjoyed the bit of the speech where he basically pointed to the middle east and said hey look you guys had your fun now let me wet my beak a little.

He likewise enjoyed arguing that he's only relying on the same principles in Crimea as the West did with Kosovo, I think.
    Wasn't there actual ethnic cleansing in Kosovo?

• GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    I just got off the phone with a really helpful DMV guy.

I didn't expect to utter that sentence when I woke up this morning

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2014
    PantsB wrote: »
    Wait do people actually care about college GPA anywhere in a job interview? Its the kind of thing I'd internally laugh at if brought up repeatedly in an interview

I got asked it for the first time in an interview a couple of weeks ago. Dude, I've been gainfully employed as a technical person/engineer since I graduating 14 years ago. Clearly I got just about all I needed to out of college.

That said in hindsight I wish I had worked harder. Oh well, for the most part I've liked where I ended up career wise and any difference in my expected career level versus time out of school is due to the utterly untransferable experience of being a space shuttle flight controller for 5 years.

Dynagrip on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    Putin enjoyed the bit of the speech where he basically pointed to the middle east and said hey look you guys had your fun now let me wet my beak a little.

He likewise enjoyed arguing that he's only relying on the same principles in Crimea as the West did with Kosovo, I think.
    Wasn't there actual ethnic cleansing in Kosovo?

Well, don't misunderstand my post for one saying his argument is right.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    oh my godddd will is a liar

I hate celery

I made a giant winter stew once with a ton of root veggies and the main one was celery root

while I was cutting it I was like HMM THIS SURE DOES SMELL LIKE CELERY BUT

shockingly when I tasted the stew it was full of celery flavored tuber

FAK U WLIAM U R LYE

i am disappoint skuppy

if you cannot stand the flavor of celery then yes probably celery root isn't the smart tip

turnips have actually slightly less calories than celery root so you could try those. they work about the same way

same thing with carrots

carrots slightly more, but still a lot less than potatoes

potatoes are a fool's game

parsnips are nearly up there with potatoes. probably all those central/ south american roots like yucca and cassava

Wqdwp8l.png
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Wait do people actually care about college GPA anywhere in a job interview? Its the kind of thing I'd internally laugh at if brought up repeatedly in an interview

I got asked it for the first time in an interview a couple of weeks ago. Dude, I've been gainfully employed as a technical person/engineer since I graduating 14 years ago. Clearly I got just about all I needed to out of college.

That said in hindsight I wish I had worked harder. Oh well, for the most part I've liked where I ended up career wise and any difference in my expected career level versus time out of school is due to the utterly untransferable experience of being a space shuttle flight controller for 5 years.

I could not tell you what my GPA was without looking it up

Dynagrip wrote: »

Yeah but that is badass!

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    1457540_10151935448287343_613532238_n.jpg

Dont we all

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Celeriac is delicious. Skippy, you're a disappointment to me and your mother.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    label dude digs my track

*fingers crossed*

1367261102_p_diddy_cristal_champagne.jpg

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    Guys I ordered a jump rope that arrived today and one of those pull up bars that you wedge into a doorway

Operation: Jock continues

make sure the pull up bar is properly anchored

seriously

I will exercise caution and follow the instructions and stuff!

#swolepatrol
    #structuralintegrity
    #yolo

919UOwT.png
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Boss asks me how my morning's going. I tell him that it's going great and that I had a really refreshing mango greek yogurt for breakfast. He called me a pussy. We laffed. It still hurt*.
    fak u @gooey and the chobani club. it is you who are the real pussies.

*not really

i am enjoying a nice chobani mango right now

and i didnt even have to plant a mango tree or squeeze an udder

i had one at like 1am or 2am
    i shoulda had another now

i finished my work at 430am and was just mad at myself because it was soemthing that took me literally like 2 hours to do
    and i got home at 7pm to do it
    and my internet came back before 9pm

(then by the time i was in bed and with lights off it was 5am cuz i was like fk dis i need a wank)

mehhh

3.5 hrs of sleep

slept 5 night before

mrehh

shazbro

go work for a bank

that wouldn't help gooey, that would just make things worse

no one was expecting me to do that work until 5am

i should've been done with that work by 6pm the day before

all i am saying is that if you are going to work all nighters you might as well get paid

919UOwT.png
    literally the best part about snes shadowrun is that in the first room you find the shades, and if you put them on you can't take them off for the rest of the game

#swagswagswagswagswag
    #shadez

919UOwT.png
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    last night, I cooked with that green top sirracha stuff y'all were surprised I didn't know

something oelek or idk

it was nice, added some low heat that built over the meal

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    get paid, get laid

that's my motto

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    label dude digs my track

*fingers crossed*

1367261102_p_diddy_cristal_champagne.jpg

freelz

also a track i did some synth programming for completely changed the song around and made it ... well ... horrible

interesting day

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    Helicopter crash in Seattle :(

10003885_692233827502u0j6f.jpg

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    @Ludious I will go a step further:

I am assuming the person made some spreadsheet templates and starts a new spreadsheet for each unit of work, be it a client or a contract or whatever. Probably drops that spreadsheet in is own folder on the public drive or in sharepoint.

Pro tier would be making a table that is the top level unit (client, contract), and have one row for what used to represent each spreadsheet. Put whatever important information that is that top level as a column on this table (who is responsible for the unit of work, project start date, client contact info, etc). And most importantly, set up an AutoNumber field, right click it and say "Primary Key"

Now, make a new table, that used to represent the rows of each individual spreadsheet. The only difference being that the first column should be called unitID or clientID or projectID, and should be a number field. then put every other column from the old spreadsheets here.

Now, set up a form for the top level table, and put a few clients/unit in there.

Now, set up a form for the row-based data, and make the unitID field a dropdown/autocomplete field that has to match an entry from the top level table. You have now "related" the data to the client, which will allow you to have two tables that does the lifting for an infinite number of spreadsheets in the old system.

Whenever you want a classic "client" spreadsheet, you can go into queries, link the two tables by unitID, and drag the fields you are interested in to the bottom area, with the unitID number as the filter by option in the unitID field.

bethryn is right

the perverse reality is that the skill level of data entry peons is much, much lower than the skill level of People Charged With Assembling Key Reports, so it is easier to ask the latter to adapt than the former

I get that.

Which is why, for an incredibly small investment, someone could build a quick and dirty user interface over what I just described, drop the data side (mdb) on the server, and make a pretty little icon that the end user clicks on their desktop (an MDE file) that just acts as the client for data entry.

You could even make the damn thing look and act like the excel spreadsheet they are used to, only you select your client / unit before going into the spreadsheet as opposed to navigating to the file.

Like, it could be so much simpler for everyone at all levels.

and that is a skill level that is then much, much higher than even the unfortunate middle-management report-assembler

aRkpc.gif
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The US should annex Nova Scotia just to show Putin two can play at that game

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

10003885_692233827502u0j6f.jpg

happened right in front of my friend's daughter's school

she was okay but they watched the chopper go down so now the school is bringing in psychologists to talk to all the kids about it

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    get paid, get laid

that's my motto

moneytoburn.gif

tumblr_mhf8k8R7V51rwc1lro1_500.gif

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    Feral wrote: »

10003885_69226f.jpg

she was okay but they watched the chopper go down so now the school is bringing in psychologists to talk to all the kids about it

Damn :(

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    I think the lack of sleep +allergies might be making me sick. I feel really shitty today.

• Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Fjw5lz8.jpg

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »

I hate celery

I made a giant winter stew once with a ton of root veggies and the main one was celery root

FAK U WLIAM U R LYE

i am disappoint skuppy

if you cannot stand the flavor of celery then yes probably celery root isn't the smart tip

turnips have actually slightly less calories than celery root so you could try those. they work about the same way

same thing with carrots

parsnips are nearly up there with potatoes. probably all those central/ south american roots like yucca and cassava

ITT Will negs the Irish.

@Tav

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    The US should annex Nova Scotia just to show Putin two can play at that game

Let's steal the Kurils and then keep them.

That will show both Russia and Japan.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I just had some woman describe her 29-year old son who lives on his own, has no issues with self-ambulation, and has no acute neurological deficits as her "special needs child."

He has CP, lady. And he's not a child. Weirdo.

Some creepy Munchhausen's crap going on there.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

I hate celery

FAK U WLIAM U R LYE

i am disappoint skuppy

same thing with carrots

ITT Will negs the Irish.

@Tav

*Gets his Hurley Bat*

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    last night, I cooked with that green top sirracha stuff y'all were surprised I didn't know

something oelek or idk

sambal oelek is tits dude

it's a key element in malaysian cooking

rendang pls

Wqdwp8l.png
    oh wait that was a syntax fail

i made an awesome synth arpeggio for this driving, pumping track

and the dude made it into like a loungy, muted, mellow song

bur kept the same arpeggio

so stupid

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    okay

it is done

I have succeeded in buying this poster

yZzp02q.jpg

now it is 3am and I have a meeting with my PhD supervisor in eight hours or so

party on, chat

don't make the same mistakes I do

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I just had some woman describe her 29-year old son who lives on his own, has no issues with self-ambulation, and has no acute neurological deficits as her "special needs child."

He has CP, lady. And he's not a child. Weirdo.

Some creepy Munchhausen's crap going on there.

but it's okay because now obamacare will take care of both them for free, right?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited March 2014

I am assuming the person made some spreadsheet templates and starts a new spreadsheet for each unit of work, be it a client or a contract or whatever. Probably drops that spreadsheet in is own folder on the public drive or in sharepoint.

Pro tier would be making a table that is the top level unit (client, contract), and have one row for what used to represent each spreadsheet. Put whatever important information that is that top level as a column on this table (who is responsible for the unit of work, project start date, client contact info, etc). And most importantly, set up an AutoNumber field, right click it and say "Primary Key"

Now, make a new table, that used to represent the rows of each individual spreadsheet. The only difference being that the first column should be called unitID or clientID or projectID, and should be a number field. then put every other column from the old spreadsheets here.

Now, set up a form for the top level table, and put a few clients/unit in there.

Now, set up a form for the row-based data, and make the unitID field a dropdown/autocomplete field that has to match an entry from the top level table. You have now "related" the data to the client, which will allow you to have two tables that does the lifting for an infinite number of spreadsheets in the old system.

Whenever you want a classic "client" spreadsheet, you can go into queries, link the two tables by unitID, and drag the fields you are interested in to the bottom area, with the unitID number as the filter by option in the unitID field.

bethryn is right

the perverse reality is that the skill level of data entry peons is much, much lower than the skill level of People Charged With Assembling Key Reports, so it is easier to ask the latter to adapt than the former

I get that.

Which is why, for an incredibly small investment, someone could build a quick and dirty user interface over what I just described, drop the data side (mdb) on the server, and make a pretty little icon that the end user clicks on their desktop (an MDE file) that just acts as the client for data entry.

You could even make the damn thing look and act like the excel spreadsheet they are used to, only you select your client / unit before going into the spreadsheet as opposed to navigating to the file.

and that is a skill level that is then much, much higher than even the unfortunate middle-management report-assembler

Yeah.

AAA of Southern California basically tried to do something like that, for similar reasons, by internally building a suite of proprietary programs.

Good God, the project must have been managed by some executive's nephew, because they spent something like $60 million to develop a steaming pile.

Of course then they had to exclusively use the pile because the executives who made the decision couldn't just admit they had wasted so much money.

kedinik on

I hate celery

FAK U WLIAM U R LYE

i am disappoint skuppy

same thing with carrots

ITT Will negs the Irish.

@Tav

potatoes are actually native to peru

somehow they became ireland's only national product besides ethnic strife and alcoholic depression between 1700 and 1800

i have no idea what they ate before that time. probably turnips and peat moss.

Wqdwp8l.png

something oelek or idk

sambal oelek is tits dude

it's a key element in malaysian cooking

rendang pls

makes many a lackluster soup kick ass

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

bethryn is right

I get that.

Yeah.

It really does need to be farmed out to a developer... the funny thing is, this project sounds like maybe 8-10 hours of work for the coder, followed by some cut and paste data entry to bring the old values in... and would save literally hundreds if not thousands of hours every year, depending on how much data entry goes into those spreadsheets.

Government is the blurst.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

I remember in grade school on of my friends had a horrible incident where the Dad shot the Mom and ran off with the kids (they were divorced).

School brought in a psychologist to talk to those of us who knew him. When my turn came up I went into the room.

"So is there anything you want to talk about regarding what happened with Paul?"

"No."

"OK, back to class you go then."

Wonder how much dude got paid for that.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Tech sites are incredibly shit at the simple task of including the URL that's 99% of their sourcing. Yeah, just mention where you got it from, why bother with including the link.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular

I hate celery

FAK U WLIAM U R LYE

i am disappoint skuppy

same thing with carrots

ITT Will negs the Irish.

@Tav

potatoes are actually native to peru

somehow they became ireland's only national product besides ethnic strife and alcoholic depression between 1700 and 1800

i have no idea what they ate before that time. probably turnips and peat moss.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    From the Middle Ages, until the arrival of the potato in the 16th century, the dominant feature of the rural economy was the herding of cattle. The meat produced was mostly the preserve of the gentry and nobility. The poor generally made do with milk, butter, cheese, and offal, supplemented with oats and barley. The practice of bleeding cattle and mixing the blood with milk and butter (similar to the practice of the Maasai) was not uncommon. Black pudding is made from blood, grain, (usually barley) and seasoning, and remains a breakfast staple food in Ireland.

basically peat moss yeah

This discussion has been closed.