As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I should have had [chat] prepared!

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Also @Syndalis @Donkey Kong @Gooey‌

This iMac's fan runs at max speed all the time. Like several hours at a stretch. We've tried several software fixes, nothing seems to solve it. Ventilation isn't an issue.

What do now?

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    Oh, this is grand.

Swindling TV crook who sold the "Cancer Doctors Are a Scam" books on infomercials is going to jail for 10 years for . . . well . . . being a swindling crook.

the sentencing judge should have sentenced him to 5 years, and then said

"but wait, there's more! if you act now we'll double the offer! That's right, 10 years in prison for the price of 5!"

This guy has been on radars for a long time as a huge scam artist. His claim to fame is 'X things Y don't want you to know about". and then releasing that as a book over and over, very expensively. Like, justice won with that one. He will get right back to it in 10 years time though.

steam_sig.png
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    My, whatever, GPA for my uni degree is a couple points shy of distinction average.

Then again the punchline seems to be that I got really fucked around by my degree being so ridiculously broad, since it just means you're dealing with a constant assault of non-complementary knowledge.

I have applied for a whole bunch of stuff this week. The week so far has kind of solidified me on the idea that even if I want to get an electrical engineering degree I would really, really like to do it mostly by correspondence for all the use the damn lectures and contact hours are so far.

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    My boss is recommending steps to troubleshoot a mac in the office.

I need out of this job so badly, holy shit.

uh spool you cannot troubleshoot a mac because macs cannot break fyi hth

919UOwT.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Everyone's always going on and on about black pudding, but when I ask for white pudding, I'm the racist?

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    spool have you considered not mining bitcoin

well the first part is true...

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Are there any infomercials that aren't some kind of swindling chicanery?

I hate boiling water, and my 'as seen on tv' pasta boat, is fucking amazing. pasta in the microwave, no fuss no muss. I dont have time to sit and watch a pot of water boil.

steam_sig.png
    Elendil wrote: »
    spool have you considered not mining bitcoin

n-no!

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    "getting mad at dynagrip is like getting mad at the windmill in mini golf" was p clever pods

head%20noddin.gif

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Everyone's always going on and on about black pudding, but when I ask for white pudding, I'm the racist?

to be fair you asked for "anything but colored pudding"

919UOwT.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2014

i have one of these and i completely love it:

41zKkASwQjL._SX300_.jpg

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    @Ludious I will go a step further:

I am assuming the person made some spreadsheet templates and starts a new spreadsheet for each unit of work, be it a client or a contract or whatever. Probably drops that spreadsheet in is own folder on the public drive or in sharepoint.

Pro tier would be making a table that is the top level unit (client, contract), and have one row for what used to represent each spreadsheet. Put whatever important information that is that top level as a column on this table (who is responsible for the unit of work, project start date, client contact info, etc). And most importantly, set up an AutoNumber field, right click it and say "Primary Key"

Now, make a new table, that used to represent the rows of each individual spreadsheet. The only difference being that the first column should be called unitID or clientID or projectID, and should be a number field. then put every other column from the old spreadsheets here.

Now, set up a form for the top level table, and put a few clients/unit in there.

Now, set up a form for the row-based data, and make the unitID field a dropdown/autocomplete field that has to match an entry from the top level table. You have now "related" the data to the client, which will allow you to have two tables that does the lifting for an infinite number of spreadsheets in the old system.

Whenever you want a classic "client" spreadsheet, you can go into queries, link the two tables by unitID, and drag the fields you are interested in to the bottom area, with the unitID number as the filter by option in the unitID field.

bethryn is right

the perverse reality is that the skill level of data entry peons is much, much lower than the skill level of People Charged With Assembling Key Reports, so it is easier to ask the latter to adapt than the former

I get that.

Which is why, for an incredibly small investment, someone could build a quick and dirty user interface over what I just described, drop the data side (mdb) on the server, and make a pretty little icon that the end user clicks on their desktop (an MDE file) that just acts as the client for data entry.

You could even make the damn thing look and act like the excel spreadsheet they are used to, only you select your client / unit before going into the spreadsheet as opposed to navigating to the file.

Like, it could be so much simpler for everyone at all levels.

and that is a skill level that is then much, much higher than even the unfortunate middle-management report-assembler

Yeah.

It really does need to be farmed out to a developer... the funny thing is, this project sounds like maybe 8-10 hours of work for the coder, followed by some cut and paste data entry to bring the old values in... and would save literally hundreds if not thousands of hours every year, depending on how much data entry goes into those spreadsheets.

Government is the blurst.

even for a private entity, it doesn't just need to be farmed out to a developer. it also needs to be farmed out to someone who can assess the developer's work and gauge if it is appropriate for the business. and here you have the downside risk of the relevant upper management screwing that up and destroying a workflow which was functional, even if inefficient

If the new workflow doesn't work, you can go back to the old way. It isn't "destroyed." In fact, if the new workflow doesn't work, people will go back to the old way anyway because "just throw that data in Excel" is the low-energy default state of the white collar electron orbital.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Nah, it's this band that pitchfork splooges over and lots of my hipster associates were all ga-ga about. I resisted, but they kept getting so much fellatio I decided to check em. They did NOT meet expectations.

Lol @podly you were tryin 2 be 2 cool

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here

I hate boiling water, and my 'as seen on tv' pasta boat, is fucking amazing. pasta in the microwave, no fuss no muss. I dont have time to sit and watch a pot of water boil.

I've found your problem.

They never boil when you do that!

(seriously you don't have to watch pasta, why are you doing that)

I've found your problem.

They never boil when you do that!

(seriously you don't have to watch pasta, why are you doing that)

You do need to time it though. 1 minutes too far and it goes from delicious to disappointing nothingness.

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

don't be so hard on yourself bro

I'm sure there's something out there you can troubleshoot.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

This iMac's fan runs at max speed all the time. Like several hours at a stretch. We've tried several software fixes, nothing seems to solve it. Ventilation isn't an issue.

What do now?

http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/

Install the free trial, and see what is running over temperature.

If nothing is, do a PRAM reset.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11243?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

If still bad, take to genius bar.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

What do now?

call applecare.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

He's texan.

Shootin' trouble is par for the course!

the knife is nowhere near as good as vampire weekend imo

I...

I meant...

... I need some ointment for this burn.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited March 2014

41zKkASwQjL._SX300_.jpg

What is it? A money clip?

Are you an olds?

Irond Will on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Feral wrote: »
    @Ludious I will go a step further:

I am assuming the person made some spreadsheet templates and starts a new spreadsheet for each unit of work, be it a client or a contract or whatever. Probably drops that spreadsheet in is own folder on the public drive or in sharepoint.

Pro tier would be making a table that is the top level unit (client, contract), and have one row for what used to represent each spreadsheet. Put whatever important information that is that top level as a column on this table (who is responsible for the unit of work, project start date, client contact info, etc). And most importantly, set up an AutoNumber field, right click it and say "Primary Key"

Now, make a new table, that used to represent the rows of each individual spreadsheet. The only difference being that the first column should be called unitID or clientID or projectID, and should be a number field. then put every other column from the old spreadsheets here.

Now, set up a form for the top level table, and put a few clients/unit in there.

Now, set up a form for the row-based data, and make the unitID field a dropdown/autocomplete field that has to match an entry from the top level table. You have now "related" the data to the client, which will allow you to have two tables that does the lifting for an infinite number of spreadsheets in the old system.

Whenever you want a classic "client" spreadsheet, you can go into queries, link the two tables by unitID, and drag the fields you are interested in to the bottom area, with the unitID number as the filter by option in the unitID field.

bethryn is right

the perverse reality is that the skill level of data entry peons is much, much lower than the skill level of People Charged With Assembling Key Reports, so it is easier to ask the latter to adapt than the former

I get that.

Which is why, for an incredibly small investment, someone could build a quick and dirty user interface over what I just described, drop the data side (mdb) on the server, and make a pretty little icon that the end user clicks on their desktop (an MDE file) that just acts as the client for data entry.

You could even make the damn thing look and act like the excel spreadsheet they are used to, only you select your client / unit before going into the spreadsheet as opposed to navigating to the file.

Like, it could be so much simpler for everyone at all levels.

and that is a skill level that is then much, much higher than even the unfortunate middle-management report-assembler

Yeah.

It really does need to be farmed out to a developer... the funny thing is, this project sounds like maybe 8-10 hours of work for the coder, followed by some cut and paste data entry to bring the old values in... and would save literally hundreds if not thousands of hours every year, depending on how much data entry goes into those spreadsheets.

Government is the blurst.

even for a private entity, it doesn't just need to be farmed out to a developer. it also needs to be farmed out to someone who can assess the developer's work and gauge if it is appropriate for the business. and here you have the downside risk of the relevant upper management screwing that up and destroying a workflow which was functional, even if inefficient

If the new workflow doesn't work, you can go back to the old way. It isn't "destroyed." In fact, if the new workflow doesn't work, people will go back to the old way anyway because "just throw that data in Excel" is the low-energy default state of the white collar electron orbital.

But proud executives!

I've seen the new garbage stick, in real time!

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.

they make white pudding too

it's basically black pudding with fat and maybe lymph and chunks of meat instead of blood

Wqdwp8l.png
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I'm listening to Tigers Jaw get dunked on pitchfork

can you put a money clip on a wallet chain

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

boss: try turning it on and off

to turn it off you just

hmm

I think it's under this little magnifying glass icon

no, nope

okay here it is, finder

no wait

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

Game parlor time, man.

Also, I saw The Grand Budapest Hotel this weekend, and it's phenomenal.

My only gripe is the denouement, but take that away and the movie is A++.

boss: try turning it on and off

to turn it off you just

hmm

I think it's under this little magnifying glass icon

no, nope

okay here it is, finder

no wait

Wrong. Isn't it just a key on the keyboard that looks and feels like every other key?

I here the power button is an important part of typing.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    @Abdhyius‌ found a picture of my father with prince harold of norway and his father when he was at balliol and thot of u

obF2Wuw.png
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Nah, it's this band that pitchfork splooges over and lots of my hipster associates were all ga-ga about. I resisted, but they kept getting so much fellatio I decided to check em. They did NOT meet expectations.

Lol @podly you were tryin 2 be 2 cool

coked%20out%20raven.gif

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    Also, I saw The Grand Budapest Hotel this weekend, and it's phenomenal.

My only gripe is the denouement, but take that away and the movie is A++.

Oh, sure, Grand Budapest Hotel has a bad ending and it's okay, but when Mass Effect had a bad ending, all hell broke loose.

double standards! >: (

41zKkASwQjL._SX300_.jpg

What is it? A money clip?

Are you an olds?

it is a money clip

it stores cash on one side and cards on the other

small enough that i can keep it in my front pocket

really well-made. i've carried it for like four years and had zero problems

Wqdwp8l.png
    podly is that so raven

He's texan.

Shootin' trouble is par for the course!

It's true.

Computers, plumbing, business negotiations . . .

If it can't be solved with the business end of a .45, Texas don't want to solve it.

Elendil wrote: »
    the knife is nowhere near as good as vampire weekend imo

henchman offer -- rescinded

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    I'm seeing Grand Budapest Hotel (man that's an unfortunate acronym) in two hours and I'm stoked.

This discussion has been closed.